“How to spoil you!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 33 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Auckland, New Zealand
“How to spoil you!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

This place is paradise in surfer paradise! Everything is so convenient with a simple walk up the road. The staff were great, the view was excellent and we can't wait to go back and stay again! The room had an ensuite and bar fridge and it's own safe that was cheap to use! With bus stops 2 minutes away having a go card made travelling so simple!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
irh, General Manager at The Island Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear KiwiJo2013,
Location, Location, Location!. Fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Surfers Paradise and the Islander. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and the new light rail system will be passing our door by mid-2014 which will make transportation a breeze. The closest station is on the next corner so your go card will interface perfectly. Thank you for your feedback.
Dean Cooper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I just returned from a weekend the Islander Resort and we absolutely loved it. The staff were welcoming and helpful and the room was perfect. Clean, tidy and the bed was massive. Our balcony looked straight out over Surfers Paradise Boulevard and out to the ocean, could not have asked for more. Location could not have been more perfect, so close to the beach and shopping. The pool is beautiful - well maintained and not too busy.

Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KiwiJo2013
Dear KiwiJo2013,
Nothing better than a weekend away on the Gold Coast, we are pleased to hear you shared it with the Islander and our fantastic employees. Our central location makes a night or a week away super convenient and we look forward to welcoming you back this year. Remember to ask for a King size bed again next time :). We value and appreciate your feedback.
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

This is a run down place. Very old and needs an upgrade very very badly.
The toilet smelled worse than a public toilet. Breakfast was bad and
absolutely the same lousy breakfast every other day. Positive point clean
towel, bed sheets and great location. Rest was all lousy. I am being very
conservative here when I say bad/lousy. It was really terrible!! Will not
recommend staying here again. Just spend a little extra and find a nicer
hotel around this place.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SARALAE
Dear Saralae,
Thank you kindly for providing your feedback and we are sincerely sorry for the poor experience you have encountered. I note your breakfast and bathroom concerns and will certainly review accordingly. We appreciate the positive feedback on our linen and location.

Travellers are raving about these Surfers Paradise hotels

Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed in the hotel last Christmas and it was probably one of the worst hotels I ever stayed.
Room and specially bathroom were dirty.
However nothing compares to the dreadful customer services I experienced during my stay. I was staying in a room and the room next door to mine was loud, having parties since 3 in the afternoon, I could not even stay in my room.

I complained at reception several times and about 7:00 pm I asked to talk to the duty manager and complained about it. He told me he would check it and do something. At 8:00 I complained again and to my surprise I heard that I was being unreasonable, that the noise was not loud and they could do whatever they wanted until 10:00 pm, that it was staying in Surfers Paradise and if I wanted to stay in the room without any noise I should not go Surfers paradise, he also added that it was Christmas holidays, when people were having a good time and he could not ask them to stop it because of me. After this he said that he could change me to another room, from a different category but I had to pay extra for it.
The party was on until 11:30 when I called reception again and was about to call the cops about the noise.
I have stayed in many other hotels at Surfers Paradise and around the world and NEVER seen anything like this.

It is a kind of place that a poor management ruins a hotel in a great locations.

Stay away of this hotel for your own sake.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DeborahMello
Dear DeborahMello,
We are truly disappointed to hear that you had such an unpleasant experience with our Hotel and team. As an older property we recognise that our customer service must excel and we have clearly failed on this occasion. I will personally action the items raised and understand that this should have been handled very differently. You are welcome to email me directly on info@islander.com.au should you wish to discuss any further. Our team receives praise on a daily basis and I am sorry that you were not able to experience this.
Thank you for providing your feedback and I do apologise for the inconvenience.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

Despite the location steer well clear of this aging 60's hotel.
Obviously going for the hippy youth budget market, as it appears others are staying well clear.
The place has a seedy ambiance.
If you like noisy parties throughout the night and not that worried about cleanliness or decor then this is the place for you.
We complained to Reception and Manager about the noise and dirty bathrooms but they did nothing and did not want to listen to our complaints the second night. Thought we being unreasonable. Ended up moving some place else just to get some sleep. Surf Parade Resort same price but worlds apart from this place.
As it says in its Trip Advisor ranking the price is above average but the value is well below average. There are plenty of better value hotels in Surfers Paradise.
I should have paid more attention to the poorer reviews here in Trip Advisor as they proved to be more accurate.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank TheTatler
Puchong, Selangor, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Very easy to get to the beach, just walk 2 minutes to Hard Rock Shop or 5 minutes to Surfers Paradise Beach. We didn't bring any traveller adapter so we borrowed from the reception at no cost, this is great so we no need to buy a new one.
Also easy to get a bus (walking to bus station about 7-10 minutes) to MovieWorld or SeaWorld and surrounding by many shop & restaurant. Halal food a bit tricky to find but in front of the hotel there is 1 pizza shop which has halal sign.
Gold Coast is one of may fav place, I'll come again & if I need hotel with reasonable price I will looking for this hotel again :)

Room Tip: If your power adapter if not suitable, you may borrow from the receptionist 1,2 or even 3.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rex_R3x
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

We have got ourselves a free upgrade to a one-bedroom apartment from a standard room.
It was indeed a pleasant stay! We love it!
The unit is spacious and clean.
And they provided all the cooking utensils and they even have oven, microwave, a fridge.

The location is pretty convenient where it's located right at the heart of surfers paradise.

They have a swimming pool as well but too bad we didn't get to enjoy in it due to limited of time. I must try it on my next visit!

However, girls please be aware of some drunk guys around the hotel as there are pubs around.

Room Tip: Go for a one-bedroom apartment if you are looking for a more pleasant stay at surfers paradise! You...
Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends