“We had a great time”

Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Melbourne
“We had a great time”
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Great location - 1 block from the beach and three short blocks from the main Surfer's area. Large clean rooms and the view to the ocean was fantastic. Only complaint was the king sized bed was actually twin beds pushed together making a ridge in the middle.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2011
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay last month - great that you enjoyed our location, clean rooms and ocean views although sorry that the king zipper bed did not prove 100% comfortable.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the not too distant future and thanks again for posting your feeback on-line.

Mantra Legends Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Korean first
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I and my wife stayed at the Mantra Legends Hotel, Gold Coast for 10 nights July 2011. The Hotel was very nice, clean and modern with a lovely pool area.
The staff were all most helpful and friendly during our visit.
We were upgraded (at a small cost) to a Studio King room which was also clean and modern. It had a proper king size bed (two good 3/4s pushed together...) which was comftable - the pillows also! The bathroom was VERY clean - the room also had a kitchenette, with 2 hotplates, microwave, dishwasher, sink and mini fridge. The air conditioning was fine, it could be set to run all night and was not loud at all, there was also a balcony with a small table and chairs. There were no loud noises during the night and people noise from other rooms was muffled. The room was serviced each day.

We had the buffet breakfast once from the hotel restaurant and it was good for the price. Everything we asked for was provided.
Cavill Ave is just a short walk away! Q1 is 1 block - ckech the internet for access deals!!
Great views (Floor 16) and great location - GOOD VALUE>

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Thanks for your feedback following your recent stay. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcoming you back again some time soon.

Queensland, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My husband and i stayed at this hotel while celebrating a very special occasion. In previous correspondence with management, I was assured we would be looked after and would get a great deal on the Spa Suite that we wanted to book. Upon arrival to the hotel and then our room, we were both extremely impressed with the staff, the hotel itself and the layout of the room. We opened the door to our spa suite and were met by a very nice greeting card congratulating us on our special occasion and a bottle of champagne. Management were just so easy to talk to and went out of their way to make our stay as enjoyable as what it was. We were very very impressed and will definately be back again!!!! Thanks Mantra Legends for our memorable time at your hotel!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Congratulations again on your special occasion and thanks again for choosing to stay with us and for sharing feedback regarding your time at the Hotel.

I am pleased the team did such a great job in contributing to a special time away and I look forward to welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Yarraville, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Before writing this review I did some research on how hotels etc get their star rating. The Mantra Legends is rated 4 1/2 stars, by whom I don't know. The star system however is based on what they offer rather than the quality that is offered. They do offer a conceige, mini bar, gym and swimming pool, however I've found that they have misrepresented themselves quite significantly, for example pop onto their website and have a look at the picture of the the gymnasium. Half of the equipment in the photo isn't actually in the gym!

The room itself was sufficient but certainly not of a 4 1/2 star quality standard. Small, outdated and the bathroom was grubby, not from lack of cleaning, but lack of maintainence.
It's location is fantastic, central to surfers shops/restaurants etc. Staff were friendly and helpful, but we likely won't stay here again.
If you want somewhere to stay that's close to the beach/restaurants/shops and don't care so much about quality/cost, then this is the perfect place.

Room Tip: You don't stay here for the hotel entertainment so any room will do!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Thanks for your feedback following your recent stay although I am naturally concerned that we did not meet your expecatations in some areas.

The Hotel has been officially rated by AAA Tourism - the main national body that assigns a hotel with an appropriate star rating - this was done following an extensive review of all aspects of the Hotel and does include quality measurements. The star rating that we advertise is not self-rated in any way.

You are 100% correct with regard to the gym photo - a number of items of equipment in the photo have been removed whilst others have been added. I have immediately removed this photo from our website to avoid any further confusion in this regard.

I am pleased that the team have provided you with a high standard of service and that the location of the property proved convenient. Whilst you have indicated that you are unlikely to stay with us again, please feel free to contact me directly on vince.king@mantra.com.au if I can be of service or should you choose to give us another opportunity to accommodate you.

Thanks again for sharing your feedback.

Sydney
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I only visit Surfers Paradise on business, and tend to pick places based on where I can get a good rate. On this occasion, I chose the Mantra Legends since the mid-winter rate of $120 for a studio room was more than reasonable. The hotel only has limited parking, so I requested a parking space in the "special requests" section. To their credit, the hotel responded promptly and explained it was a first-come first-served situation, so couldn't guarantee a spot. In the end, no doubt assisted by the off-season timing, there was no problem at all, and the garage seemed pretty capacious.
Service at the front desk was prompt and friendly. The room was spacious, but if I were on holidays here, I would be a little disappointed - I'm not sure I can understand the enthusiastic recent reviews - this is just a standard 4-star hotel, a little worn around the edges. Certainly, the location is convenient for Surfers Paradise, but then, there are so many hotels in this area, the same could be said for any of them. There were a number of minor annoyances:
1. Analog TV channels only (with basic cable) on an old CRT TV set. Plus that little personal touch, the display of my name on the TV screen to welcome me never went away, no matter which buttons I tried on the remote control.
2. Poor internet service: The hotel's own service (wireless only), for the usual outrageous but commonplace fee of $20-something for 24 hours, provided by Azure, was a long way down on the list of detected signals in my room: the signal came and went ... mostly went.
3. The bathroom featured ungenerous towels, and a basin with little space to put one's own kit, a pet peeve of mine.
4. The front desk was unable to provide a statement or invoice for my account on check-out, since I had pre-paid via their "central reservations" system, i.e. online. I had to e-mail Mantra reservations to obtain this. (Which they did, promptly, but still ... in this age of networked convenience, it's more than a little odd that the front desk couldn't print a copy.)
Having said all that, there was really nothing wrong with the place and a future visit may happen if the price is right.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience following your recent stay - I genuinely do appreciate the constructive feedback you have provided.

I am glad that you found the service to be of a high standard however agree that an account should have been able to be provided to you without the need for you to have to contact our Central Reservations Team. I have also asked our internet provider to complete a signal audit of the property to ensure the wireless internet service is of an acceptable standard.

A significant number of rooms have been extensively refurbished in the Hotel and these are designated as a Deluxe room, available for a small extra charge on type of our standard room rates. One of the features of the refurbishment being the addition of an LCD TV as well as extensive refinshing of walls, carpet, lighting and soft furnishings. The good feedback we often receive from guests staying in our Deluxe rooms may in part explain the difference in perception you have noted from previous reviewers.

Thanks again for sharing your experience on-line and I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel some time soon.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 16 July 2011

I previously stayed in this hotel 3 years ago on my first trip to Surfers Paradise & loved it! So when my mum came to visit I instantly thought of Mantra Legends!! We had a studio room & it was perfect! Very clean and great views! There were some cracks in the tiles in the shower but the staff were already aware of this & it did not impact our stay.
We had the buffet breakfast in the morning and the choices were fantastic!! Hot & cold foods, fresh fruit, breads & juices.
The location is perfect as the beach is 100m away & the main strip of shops, bars & restaurants were a 5 minute walk away.
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone going to Surfers Paradise & I will no doubt be back at some point in the future! Thank you to all the friendly & extremely helpful staff!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
I appreciate the positive comments following your recent stay with us. That you found the room clean, the food of a high standard and such friendly service by the team at the Hotel is fantastic.

Thanks again for sharing your comments and I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel at some point in the future.

Sydney
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I loved this hotel!! It is centrally located and the facilities are great. It is only a hundred metres from the beach and a couple of streets down from Cavill Ave. The pool is fantastic. The staff were extremely helpful and I will definitely stay here again. I had an ocean view studio room which was really comfortable. My only criticism would be the that the volume swtich on the tv remote didn't work.

I would most definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Finno41
Thanks for posting your comments regarding your time with us - I am glad that the location proved ideal and that the team provided you with such helpful service.

I look forward to welcoming you back some time soon.