“Very average”

Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Brisbane, Australia
“Very average”
Reviewed 1 April 2012 via mobile

Not impressed with the lack of urgency from the staff. Room was poor tv small and soiled curtains, grouting and very tired room. Asked for a room change which was not much better. This hotel needs attention, great location but tired rooms.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank jacejen
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Hi jacejen

Thanks for sharing your feedback although I am sorry that the room you were first allocated was tired in appearance - I am pleased that the team were able to move you to a more suitable room. Without further detail I cannot specifically respond as to the lack of urgency from staff other than to apologise that you found this to be the case.

I do appreciate all feedback we receive as it does assist in managing our business so thanks again for your post.

Mantra Legends Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I stayed at Ledgends on a work trip in March 2012. When I entered the hotel room, I found a cockroach strolling across the floor - bad enough. The highlight was sitting on the bed watching the TV and had a cockroach walking over the bed. It was disgusting. To their credit they at least moved me to a new room.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Bolliegirl
Hi Bolliegirl

Thanks for taking some time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

I am really sorry that you found cockroachs in your room and completely understand your dissatisfaction - I am pleased that the team were able to move you to a more suitable room.

In any warm climate hotel that has the majority of it's rooms with balconies and sliding doors, it is difficult to completely control insects. Whilst our pest control program was up to date, I have had a full pest control program repeated in early April to ensure we are doing everything we can to minimise any chance of a cockroach entering a room.

Thanks again for your post and please again accept my apologies.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 March 2012

For my birthday my partner chose Mantra basically as we'd stayed in others before and been relatively happy. There's far too much choice on the Gold Coast so kinda stick with what you know.

We paid over $200 a night for ocean views, but it's our own fault really for feeling a touch of vertigo on the 20th floor. I can't help but feel how dated the decor is here for a hotel only open for 15 years, the elevators, the bathrooms are all motel-like. When you arrive on the 20th floor the carpets give off some musty smells, and upon opening the door to our premier, well-paid ocean view room, that's pretty much all you get. The room is compact, furnishings few, but the balcony seems to me wishes to deter you from using it; it is absolutely tiny, sloping towards the edge with a couple of plastic chairs.

This hotel likes to mitigate any risks, so there is signage plastered all over the pool area (don't do this, don't sit on the edge, don't smoke, keep out of the pond, dry yourself before leaving this area etc) and I can only assume that all those signs are to curb the youth that would frequent the hotel and many others. Our in room safe didn't work, the towels were not only scratchy and threadbare, they stank of bleach.

Add to that the cheesy asian restaurants and souvenir shop as you enter from the street, made this place seem like they aren't too proud of the hotel. Overall, the room itself is quite basic and made for sleeping only. Spend the extra few quid and stay at one of the proper brand name hotels.

Blackpool
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Me and my wife had a 3 night stay on the 11th March at the Mantra Legends. We had travelled from the UK with our 7 month old son to visit relatives in Melbourne and they kindly offered to look after our boy for a few nights to allow us to have some time away.

As most people have already said the location of the hotel is fantastic been just seconds from the beach and main drag of shops, bars and clubs. Been so close to the action I was worried about noise but we had 3 great undisturbed nights sleep. Before we arrived I emailed the hotel to ask for a ocean view room and to let them know it was my wife’s birthday, when we checked they had allocated us a great high floor ocean view room and they also kindly had left a complementary bottle of red in the room which went down nice on the balcony on that first evening.

My only minor complaints are that although the room itself was clean it was a little dated and worn around the edges also there was no plasma TV which you sort of expect from a 4 star now. I believe that a lot of the rooms are private owned so Iam guessing this may be different in other parts of the hotel and to be fair why the hell anyone would want to be in there room watching TV whilst on the amazing Gold Coast is a mystery.

The other thing that could be a problem is the hotel grounds are quite small and while the pool is great there is only room for 20 or so sun lounges and for a hotel that must have 200+ rooms this is a little inadequate but not sure what they can do as there simply isn’t room for anymore plus the beach is so close and the surf beats the pool any day.

So overall we had a great 3 night stay at a very welcoming and professional run hotel with a great view and we wouldn’t think twice about coming back if we pass this way again so feel free to book with confidence……..

Room Tip: Email hotel in advance and ask for a high floor sea view
Brisbane
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I only had one night and was attending a workshop with a small group. The Hotel was very comfortable and the rooms were very good and comfortable and well equipped as apartment type rooms. Great views to the surf only a short walk away. The conference facilities were very good and well serviced.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean views
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank aquarianmark
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Hi Aquarianmark

Thanks for your post - glad you enjoyed your time with us and that you found the Hotel convenient for the work shop that you attended.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel at some point in the future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 16 March 2012

My husband and I had a night away at Mantra Legends, Surfers Paradise a couple of weeks ago. We were looking forward to our brief getaway as we tend to stay at Mantra hotels because of their cleanliness and good facilities. We were very disappointed with this Mantra Hotel. When we opened the door we were immediately met with dirty looking carpets and cushions (this is not shown well in the photo).We soon realised that the room had not been cleaned properly; cake crumbs on the carpet (photo), poo marks in the toilet. The toilet seat was not attached properly (had to readjust it so you didn't miss!) and there was mold growing on the ceilings in the room and bathroom. There were other people's hairs in the shower. The buffet breakfast was okay. The reception staff were friendly. I wouldn't go there again nor would I recommend it to anyone else.

Room Tip: Studio rooms barely have a balcony. Get something bigger if you plan to use a balcony and ask which...
Hi Nicole S

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on-line although I naturally regret that your time with us fell short of the mark.

Whilst I am glad that the Reception team provided friendly service, the standard of cleanliness of your room was clearly unacceptable and please do accept my most sincere apologies. I have followed through with our team in Housekeeping and Front Office accordingly.

Whilst you have indicated you are unlikely to return, please do not hesitate to contact me on vince.king@mantra.com.au if I can be of service or should you wish to discuss further.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

We have had a terrible experience here, everyday we see 2-3 live and occaisionally dead roaches. The opinion over here is "no- one else has complained" and we have been unable to be moved to another room or to get a refund on our unused days if we were to leave. Having a 15 month old daughter, (who puts everything in her mouth!!) our experience is that on waking and returning from time away from our room we have to check for roaches before letting our daughter run free in the room. This has been the worst hotel we've stayed in over all our travels!

• Stayed March 2012