“Had good and bad points.”

Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Had good and bad points.”
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I was part of a wedding at the Mantra Legends recently so I was there for a very happy occasion. Unfortunately though the motel had many bad points and not as many good points so I would not return to stay- especially considering how overly priced it is.
We had the seafood buffet on a Friday night in the restaurant which cost almost $60. For that price I expeted something impressive. Instead there was a small amount of seafood, bland looking salads and other food that looked like it had been sitting there for hours. The staff were also very pushy and tried to talk to our large group a lot which really just didn't help!
The breakfast cost $19.50 a person which was also a buffet, but also very over priced! The food quality was average and not a huge spread.
The staff were generally quite friendly. The day before the wedding we were having a few social drinks and the barmen disappeared a lot which was quite annoying. The rooms were nice but as most rooms are adjoining to another you can very clearly here the people next to you- if you stay on a weekend you are likely to hear young adults getting ready to go out late at night and coming in in the early hours of the morning.
The worst thing that probably happened though was the phonecall we received to our room at 2:45 in the morning from Reception who rang us looking for someone- the had been asked by a random girl to call us and see if it was her friend. We might have been able to laugh this off if it wasn't the night before my best friends wedding. She was trying to sleep before her big day and this woke her us up and kept her awake for a while. With all the mayhem of the wedding the next day I was unable to mention this to the manager but it seemed very unprofessional.
The wedding though, went off without a hitch. Unlike the food in the restaurant the food provided at the reception was delicious and drink service was fantastic. The wedding co-ordinator was very helpful and with us a lot of the day. Guests were considerate of the wedding and happy to move themselves so we could get photos in particular areas.

The Mantra Legends might be ok for a mid-week stay, if it's ot important for you to get a good nights sleep but I doubt I will go back!

Room Tip: Any room with a view of the beach is stunning!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I have stayed here before many years ago and the hotel has had a face lift. Public spaces and rooms are generally well appointed and I would be happy to stay here again if it wasn't for the terrible beds. This stay was part of a conference and many colleagues also commented on how uncomfortable the beds were. Queen beds seem to be two singles put together. One half of my bed was a few centimetres higher than the other half which was inconvenient and uncomfortable. Also there is no wireless internet in the rooms, only broadband cable and very expensive.

The hotel is well located in the middle of Surfers Paradise but noisy even with the balcony door closed. The Surfers Paradise part of the Gold Coast doesn't really appeal to me anyway but I think next time I would stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a full size bed.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2012
Dear Mark Laurence

Thanks for your feedback following your stay with us - I always appreciate constructive feedback, particularly from a Top Contributor on TripAdvisor.

Please accept my apologies for the lack of comfort offered by the bed in your room. We purchase only Sealy beds so I am disappointed this did not prove comfortable for you and the other guests who commented on the same. I will be meeting with Sealy to pass on this feedback as several comments have been received via TripAdvisor in this regard.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your comments and please do let me know if you are back on the Gold Coast and wanting to stay with us. To this end, I invite you to contact me directly on vince.king@mantra.com.au.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We stayed here in late August in one of the Hotel Studios. The location is so convenient and the staff were very nice and helpful. The rooms were sparkling clean and the view was STUNNING - I requested we be placed on a higher floor away from elevator - got just that - on the 16th floor WOW.

It's great that the hotel only took a $1 CC imprint. I think more hotels should be doing this as they already have your ID and CC details there is no risk of trying to retrieve funds should there be any case of incidentals.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel again - great location with views.

Room Tip: One of the reviewers mentioned they had to stay on a different floor to others in their group. I wou...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear tkso

I am thrilled that you had such a good stay with us and thanks for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I look forward to seeing you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 22 August 2012

The rooms were very nice and well maintained and everything worked.
Nice and quiet. You get what you pay for.
We were in a group on different floors and it was a pain to get to a different floor because we had to meet them on the ground floor everytime we wanted to visit and then they took us to their floor, This really was annoying.
I would not stay here again becasue of the price - over $250 pn for 2.
If it's on special then that's fine.

Room Tip: I think it only really suits couples/single travellers.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Last minute decision paid off at this beautiful hotel a stones throw from
Surfers paradise beach, and Cavill Ave.

Excellent value for money @ $166 (for 4 people) for one nights stay in a deluxe ocean view room

It's usually hard to find a nice hotel in surfers when it's last minute, and not overly priced for one nights stay so I fully recommend this one!

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Ana K

I am pleased we proved so convenient for you for your visit to the Gold Coast.

Thanks for posting some feedback about your experience at the Hotel - great that you feel we represented excellent value for money.

I hope to see you back some time in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

We really enjoyed our time at this Hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was clean and tidy. We also went to Hardrock Cafe just up the road and the meal was delicious. Will definately be back when we are next in Surfers Paradise.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Malcolm B
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
Dear Malcolm B

I really appreciate your feedback so thanks for sharing this. I am thrilled that you had such a great stay with us and that the service from the team met your expectations.

I hope to welcome you back some time soon.

Ballina, Australia
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Got this hotel on a "wondering weather" deal at only $99 a night.Considering that it included full buffet b'fast for 2 it was an absolute bargain. The room was a small studio but was nice and had a good outlook. The Bathroom is very tired and needs a bit of TLC but it was clean. The lack of free and/or reasonable WiFi is a big let down. I don't follow why these hotels persist with this pay for wifi rubbish. Staff were pleasant and helpful. I would stay again but only on a deal. The sea food buffet is far too expensive and a bit dissappointing unless you are on a two for one deal - then it is only just OK. There is this great persian cafe across the street - eat there at least once.
Close to the beach and a nice pool as well. Handy to the main shopping area and night clubs but far enough away as well if that isn't your thing.

Room Tip: being higher up is probably best but you knew that already.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smartywishbone
Dear smartywishbone

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at the Hotel. I am really pleased that you found the Hotel to be good value and that you were able to enjoy your time whilst visiting the Gold Coast.

I hope to see you back at the Hotel in the not too distant future.