“Looks too good but it's not really”

Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 28 October 2012

The location is not bad as near shopping mall and beach; the check-in was very friendly and the room was spacious & had fabulous waterviews. But the noise till late at night was unbearable and I was on floor 13! The pool was always crowded, the bar wa impenetrable with large groups of people, the lobby had busloads of tourists arriving through the evening, and you had to work your way through the crow to get to the super expensive restaurant. Admittedly they make the best pina coladas but the buffet was exorbitant. I second other comments that breakfast is best outside the hotel. I couldn't believe you had to queue and wait for breakfast! Walk 5 minutes and find lots of good standar cafes opened early on the weekend. The worst feature was NO FREE WI-FI. C'mon, all 3-4 star hotels in other countries offer free Wi-fi. Here you had to pay $15 for 2 hours. Unbelievable for a deluxe room.

Room Tip: Not sure how to buffer the noise. You can hear the street noise from floor 13... Perhaps you forgive...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Maggie C
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

Dear MaggieC

Thanks for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay in Surfers Paradise.

I do genuinely appreciate the feedback you have provided and I am really pleased that the room was agreeable and that you found the service from the team to be friendly.

We enjoy a great location with close proximity to the beach and the heart of Surfers Paradise is only a short walk away. My apologies that you found your room to be noisy and that this impacted your time spent with us. Whilst I understand other Hotels may include complimenary Wifi in their room rates, our in-room Wifi is not offered on a complimentary basis and we regularly check our internet pricing against many other Hotels in the area. Fables has been particularly busy in recent weeks for breakfast which on some mornings has led to a brief delay as we await for a table to become available - please accepty my apologies for the inconvenience any delay may have caused.

Thanks again Maggie C for your valuable feedback and I do hope we again get the opportunity to accommodate you again at some point in the future.

Reviewed 27 October 2012 via mobile

Got a special deal from quick beds for the night. This hotel is great, right in the middle of surfers paradise, easy stroll to shops, restaurants and beach.
The staff were friendly and efficient and the pool is amazing.

Excellent overall

• Stayed: October 2012
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2012

Dear shaotung

Thanks for postiing your feedback online and I am pleased that you enjoyed your time spent with us.

I look forward to seeing you back at the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

the rooms are comfortable and good equipped and plenty of space. If you want to stay in the heart of Surfers, you might be all right there.

But be aware of hidden costs and pretty average service. When we checked in they didn`t tell us that they charge A$ 17/ day extra for car park. That they charge 2% extra for credit card payment is not shown on the front desk , so you know only when you check out.

They offered us a special for the breakfast buffet of A$ 18 instead of the normal charge of A$ 28. For bacon eggs , sausage and some seasonal food this was overprised and we recommend one of the nice cafes within 5 min walking distance.

The service is friendly, but gives you the distanced and cold feeling of a big hotel in a busy place.

Room Tip: ask for one of the refurbished rooms facing to the sea side
1  Thank just4enjoyment

Dear travelguru19

I appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience on-line and I am pleased that some aspects of your stay were enjoyable.

We do detail our parking charge on our website however please accept my apologies if this was not verbally confirmed with you on your arrival into the Hotel. The credit card surcharge is not shown on the front desk as you have highlighted however we do detail this surcharge on the guest registration card that guests are presented with and asked to sign on arrival.

I apologise that you did not feel the breakfast buffet had much variety or represent good value, even at the discounted rate that was offerred by the team. We have a minimum standard of 44 different items on our breakfast buffet + an additional range of condiments - this includes 9 different hot items on a daily basis. One of the great advantages of our location is that we have any number of cafe's in the local area and I am glad you were able to find something to your liking nearby.

Thanks again for sharing your feedback and I hope to see you back at the Hotel when you are next visiting the Gold Coast.

Reviewed 24 October 2012

We stayed at the Mantra Legends from 8/10/12 to 15/10/12. We saw the hotels listed in the itinerary of a travel agency and was listed as 4 star hotel. So we decided to book it on our own instead of following tours for a free and easy honeymoon. From the lobby it is clean with a souvenir shop on the ground floor and a view of a lap pool as well. They don't have many staff walking around like some hotels but it was sufficient enough. Our flight arrived early in the morning so we had to wait for our rooms for a few hrs.
Hotel is near the wonderful Surfer's Paradise beach and near shopping malls and a high end shopping street. It's a great area for Muslim tourists as it has halal eateries just across the street. and also around Surfer's Paradise. If you prefer, you can make buy groceries and cook it at the fully equipped kitchenette. There's also a dishwasher!

Some negative points I have is the queen size bed which is actually 2 single beds put together. One was lower than the other which made it uncomfortable for us to sleep together. The breakfast taste good, but having the same thing for a week makes it boring too. Maybe they could switch it up a bit and give the breakfast a bit more variety day to day.

There is a store with tour options or activities that you can book from them to enjoy during your stay and they are a better option than paying directly online. Shuttle Buses take abt 30-45 mins from the hotel to MovieWorld,SeaWorld or slightly more for Dreamworld. Also depends on number of passengers they have to pick up.

Overall, the good outweighs the bad and I definitely recommend to stay here.

Regards,
Hilmi & Nur Atiqah.

3  Thank hilmi2288

Dear hilmi 2288

Thanks so much for your feedback and I am happy that you enjoyed your time with us and found the location so convenient.

I take your point regarding the breakfasts and I have met with my Executive Chef in this regard. Whilst we have a large range of dishes on the buffet, we could do more to change a few of the items from one day to the next - particularly for those guests staying a week or more. We will improve this over the coming weeks.

Thanks again for your feedback and I hope you come back to the Gold Coast and stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

We booked this as a four day getaway. We planned on spending a fair bit of time in our room as all we were planning on doing was going for walks, eating, sleeping and reading. I booked a studio room with ocean view with a balcony and the room was very nice but it was quite small and the bathroom was also small (you had to be a contortionist to use the loo paper). The bed was comfortable enough. When it said studio room I was expecting a bit more room. The kitchen was handy, The location was excellent.
The staff were very helpful and courteous. We didnt eat in the restaurants as there are lots of great inexpensive options nearbye, the Pancake place is recomended for breakfast lunch or dinner and the Legends Chinese out the front of the motel was lovely for dinner.

1  Thank MrsPugs

Dear Mrs Pugs

Thanks for your feedback following your recent stay and I am so pleased that the service from the team and the location of the Hotel contributed to an enjoyable time with us.

I hope to see you back some time soon.

Reviewed 21 October 2012

We stayed three nights with our 2 kids aged 10 and 13. Although we booked a "special" and therefore stayed in a basic room, it more than fulfilled our needs. The room was clean, the swimming pool a hit with the kids and the gym/sauna hit with the husband. And perfect location!
What made our stay most pleasant though were the incredibly friendly and helpful staff. The receptionists, concierge, restaurant and bar staff - every one we encountered were just so pleasant!
As we had a late flight and there were several large groups booking out on the morning of our departure, we were allowed a 12pm checkout at no extra cost!
We would definitely return!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank massmish

Dear sofmish

I really appreciate your feedback so thanks for posting this on TripAdvisor.

It sounds like you had a great stay with us and I am thrilled that the service from my team was a big contributor to this.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel when you next return to Surfers Paradise.

Reviewed 15 October 2012 via mobile

After canceling my room at the Watermark the day of arrival we were in a hurry to find a new hotel, the Mantra was very easy and helpful and they got us in straight away with an early check in.
We stayed in the deluxe room on the 11th floor and it was beautiful, perfect room and perfect location.
can't wait to stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank bhumphreys11
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Dear bhumphreys11

Thanks for the great feedback after your recent stay - I am glad you enjoyed your time with us.

I hope to see you back at the Hotel when you are next in Surfers Paradise.