“Great location, great hotel!”

Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We stayed here last month after scoring an exceptionally good value deal on wotif.com and were pleasantly surprised at just how wonderful the hotel and it's facilities are.

Being in Surfers Paradise we thought it might be a bit rowdy but there was no noise and the hotel was full! The bed was extremely comfy, we had awesome views from our room and small but sufficient balcony. And we enjoyed a day lazing around a very enticing pool.

The hotel has a spacious and vibrant atmosphere and the staff were all very helpful & friendly.

We ate at the hotel in-house 3 times during our stay. Twice for Breakfast (Buffet) and once for the Seafood Buffet Dinner, which we wouldn't do again or recommend. The dining area itself is lovely, with an open & airy feel to it however, the staff and seating system is completely out of sync with everything else. Don't expect great service in the restaurant at night, and expect to be lining up for a seat in the mornings!

Despite the dining experience, we would definitely stay at Mantra Legends again; for it's brilliant location (3min from the beachfront) and very comfortable rooms.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms would be good - just make sure you ask for something above the 5th floor so you get...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

Dear planetjqld

Thanks for posting your comments on-line following your recent visit to the Gold Coast. I am pleased you enjoyed your time at the Hotel and found it to be good value, although sorry your experience in the restaurant was not as satisfying as other elements of your stay.

I hope to see you back at the Hotel some time soon.

Mantra Legends Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (2,789)

Reviewed 30 October 2012 via mobile

Popped to the Gold Coast for 1 night. Got a cheap deal for 2 adults 2 children.
Checkin quick & simple. Managed to squeeze in the car park just scrapping under the height bar! Don't put too much on the roof!
Room was clean & tidy on arrival. 2 double beads, couple of chairs, small balcony & a small telly. I wasn't there to watch the telly so being smaller didn't really bother me!
We went straight down to the pool which wasn't overly busy. Again really clean, really nice pool & enough loungers for us. Pool did get quite busy towards the evening.
We took a 10 minute stroll into Surfers Paradise & ate there. Returned about 9.30 & there were still people swimming! Noise was limited though.
The room was very warm & the air con didn't appear to work too well so kept the door to balcony open during the night.
Went for another swim in the morning & decided to use sauna & steam room. Sauna was great but the steam room appeared to be broken & no one was around that area so we left it & mentioned it to reception later.
Breakfast was advertised at around 27 dollars, we decided that was far too much & was going to go for a wander for breakfast instead. Whilst waiting for check out we heard reception giving vouchers for cheaper breakfast so asked for some too. We then got it for 19 dollars with kids for around 10. Much better.
Decided to stay & use our vouchers & we weren't disappointed. Got a table quickly, it was quite busy but didn't wait long for anything. Buffet full of fresh fruit, baked goods, cooked items and Asian options. Very good & I'd recommend if you can get a discount on that 27 dollars!
Staff in the restaurant were polite & helpful, sorting the coffee machine quickly when it stopped working. They were pretty slow to clear tables though, we sat next to an empty table full of dirty plates for at least 20 mins.
Would recommend this hotel if you can get a good deal. Staff friendly & helpful, nice clean hotel in a good location

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank claire31373
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2012

Dear claire31373

Thanks for your feedback and I am glad that you enjoyed your time whilst staying at the Hotel.

I hope to welcome you back at some point in the future.

Reviewed 29 October 2012

We tried one of those discount deals and so didn’t really expect too much. Probably just as well. It was a second floor room with not much of a view and I really wanted to get the Gerni out on the balcony. After a couple of days I could understand why – all the rubbish dropped from upstairs accumulated on the balcony ( e.g. cigarette buts, ribbons, tea cup dregs etc) – don’t leave your towels out. Parking was as advertised – limited and at a cost. We couldn’t fit into the downstairs car park and so parked the block away at the partner hotel car park. That was OK, but we couldn’t even fit onto the driveway to unload the luggage and so paid for a meter on the street. A mix up with the servicing of the room meant that we were told it would happen, but when it didn’t, told that the package didn’t include a daily service. Again, we weren’t expecting it, but the miscommunication wasn’t helpful. Others have mentioned the small TV. But it also could only really be viewed from the bed (no couch) – not exactly a relaxing combination. The bathroom must be the smallest I have seen for a long time. Old pillows were flat and worn. The pool was OK but crowded. It is what it is – a hotel room. So for a short stay or for a conference where you just need somewhere to sleep, it is OK. But for a longer stay where you want to relax, a sister Mantra on the Gold Coast is a much better option. We found the staff very friendly and efficient overall – the restaurant staff in particular were fantastic and a redeeming aspect of the stay. We probably won’t be back though.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John B

Dear John B

I appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We did offer a heavily discounted deal recently for our non-refurbished room type and this did not include daily servicing - I appreciate your understanding with this and do apologise that this was not communciated accurately during the course of your stay.

The balconys on level 2 are larger than those on the floors above - whilst affording additional space, this does have the drawback that items dropped from guests staying on higher floors can make their way onto these balconys. Again, I offer my apologies that this impacted your stay.

Whilst you have indicated you are are unlikely to return, please do contact me directly on vince.king@mantra.com.au should you choose to give us another go. I will be pleased to handle your booking personally and ensure you receive one of our refurbished deluxe rooms on a higher level.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

The location is not bad as near shopping mall and beach; the check-in was very friendly and the room was spacious & had fabulous waterviews. But the noise till late at night was unbearable and I was on floor 13! The pool was always crowded, the bar wa impenetrable with large groups of people, the lobby had busloads of tourists arriving through the evening, and you had to work your way through the crow to get to the super expensive restaurant. Admittedly they make the best pina coladas but the buffet was exorbitant. I second other comments that breakfast is best outside the hotel. I couldn't believe you had to queue and wait for breakfast! Walk 5 minutes and find lots of good standar cafes opened early on the weekend. The worst feature was NO FREE WI-FI. C'mon, all 3-4 star hotels in other countries offer free Wi-fi. Here you had to pay $15 for 2 hours. Unbelievable for a deluxe room.

Room Tip: Not sure how to buffer the noise. You can hear the street noise from floor 13... Perhaps you forgive...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Maggie C

Dear MaggieC

Thanks for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay in Surfers Paradise.

I do genuinely appreciate the feedback you have provided and I am really pleased that the room was agreeable and that you found the service from the team to be friendly.

We enjoy a great location with close proximity to the beach and the heart of Surfers Paradise is only a short walk away. My apologies that you found your room to be noisy and that this impacted your time spent with us. Whilst I understand other Hotels may include complimenary Wifi in their room rates, our in-room Wifi is not offered on a complimentary basis and we regularly check our internet pricing against many other Hotels in the area. Fables has been particularly busy in recent weeks for breakfast which on some mornings has led to a brief delay as we await for a table to become available - please accepty my apologies for the inconvenience any delay may have caused.

Thanks again Maggie C for your valuable feedback and I do hope we again get the opportunity to accommodate you again at some point in the future.

Reviewed 27 October 2012 via mobile

Got a special deal from quick beds for the night. This hotel is great, right in the middle of surfers paradise, easy stroll to shops, restaurants and beach.
The staff were friendly and efficient and the pool is amazing.

Excellent overall

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear shaotung

Thanks for postiing your feedback online and I am pleased that you enjoyed your time spent with us.

I look forward to seeing you back at the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

the rooms are comfortable and good equipped and plenty of space. If you want to stay in the heart of Surfers, you might be all right there.

But be aware of hidden costs and pretty average service. When we checked in they didn`t tell us that they charge A$ 17/ day extra for car park. That they charge 2% extra for credit card payment is not shown on the front desk , so you know only when you check out.

They offered us a special for the breakfast buffet of A$ 18 instead of the normal charge of A$ 28. For bacon eggs , sausage and some seasonal food this was overprised and we recommend one of the nice cafes within 5 min walking distance.

The service is friendly, but gives you the distanced and cold feeling of a big hotel in a busy place.

Room Tip: ask for one of the refurbished rooms facing to the sea side
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank just4enjoyment

Dear travelguru19

I appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience on-line and I am pleased that some aspects of your stay were enjoyable.

We do detail our parking charge on our website however please accept my apologies if this was not verbally confirmed with you on your arrival into the Hotel. The credit card surcharge is not shown on the front desk as you have highlighted however we do detail this surcharge on the guest registration card that guests are presented with and asked to sign on arrival.

I apologise that you did not feel the breakfast buffet had much variety or represent good value, even at the discounted rate that was offerred by the team. We have a minimum standard of 44 different items on our breakfast buffet + an additional range of condiments - this includes 9 different hot items on a daily basis. One of the great advantages of our location is that we have any number of cafe's in the local area and I am glad you were able to find something to your liking nearby.

Thanks again for sharing your feedback and I hope to see you back at the Hotel when you are next visiting the Gold Coast.

Reviewed 24 October 2012

We stayed at the Mantra Legends from 8/10/12 to 15/10/12. We saw the hotels listed in the itinerary of a travel agency and was listed as 4 star hotel. So we decided to book it on our own instead of following tours for a free and easy honeymoon. From the lobby it is clean with a souvenir shop on the ground floor and a view of a lap pool as well. They don't have many staff walking around like some hotels but it was sufficient enough. Our flight arrived early in the morning so we had to wait for our rooms for a few hrs.
Hotel is near the wonderful Surfer's Paradise beach and near shopping malls and a high end shopping street. It's a great area for Muslim tourists as it has halal eateries just across the street. and also around Surfer's Paradise. If you prefer, you can make buy groceries and cook it at the fully equipped kitchenette. There's also a dishwasher!

Some negative points I have is the queen size bed which is actually 2 single beds put together. One was lower than the other which made it uncomfortable for us to sleep together. The breakfast taste good, but having the same thing for a week makes it boring too. Maybe they could switch it up a bit and give the breakfast a bit more variety day to day.

There is a store with tour options or activities that you can book from them to enjoy during your stay and they are a better option than paying directly online. Shuttle Buses take abt 30-45 mins from the hotel to MovieWorld,SeaWorld or slightly more for Dreamworld. Also depends on number of passengers they have to pick up.

Overall, the good outweighs the bad and I definitely recommend to stay here.

Regards,
Hilmi & Nur Atiqah.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hilmi2288

Dear hilmi 2288

Thanks so much for your feedback and I am happy that you enjoyed your time with us and found the location so convenient.

I take your point regarding the breakfasts and I have met with my Executive Chef in this regard. Whilst we have a large range of dishes on the buffet, we could do more to change a few of the items from one day to the next - particularly for those guests staying a week or more. We will improve this over the coming weeks.

Thanks again for your feedback and I hope you come back to the Gold Coast and stay with us again in the future.