“Tired, Dirty & Just Poor”

Mantra Legends Hotel
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Melbourne
“Tired, Dirty & Just Poor”
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Came for 4 days to have a small break before going to a conference. Our first room was so tired and old...the carpet was stained and threadbare, the curtains were filthy, the beds were shot, the furniture all worn out and the bathroom fittings all loose or broken. So they moved us....the next room was marginally better on all aspects noted above but just. In this next room the bed pillows were so old you could feel the foam had broken up inside....horrible stuff. On the upside the front desk managers (don't get caught speaking to the young 'I don't care' inexperienced ones) were most accommodating....they are the only redeeming part of this run down establishment. As an added bonus the hotel and the booking agent neglected to tell us it was the start of 'schoolies'....the place was overrun with hundreds of exuberant noisy teenagers.....heaven - NOT!
I travel extensively in Asia and the quality of even the budget hotels far exceeds what's on offer here at the Legends. Maybe the traveller on a budget is happy with this standard of hotel - not this traveler though. I'll pay the extra few hundred dollars happily to make sure I get a decent bed, a clean room and a comfortable environment. Good value should not equate to poor standards.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Mantra8, Front Office Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear dantman,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am naturally disappointed to receive feedback of this nature and I would like to sincerely apologise for the lack of information provided to you when making the booking and also the maintenance faults you experienced in both rooms.

I am pleased that you found the duty managers to be helpful and most accommodating , we have clearly fallen short in meeting your expectations and I can assure you I have followed this feedback up with both the housekeeping and maintenance teams.

I would like to thank you again for providing this feedback.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Korean first
Brisbane
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I got a good deal at this hotel via booking.com so booked a 2 night getaway for my partner and I. I am usually a 5 star resort type of girl... and when I stay on the coast I usually stay at a sister property on Cavill. I knew on going to Legends that I wasn't going to get my usual comforts, and I was prepared to be disappointed, though on arrival I was pleasantly surprised.

The entrance at the property is grand. You get a view of the pool straight away and it is stunning. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and even allowed us to have breakfast and leave our car parked underneath the building for a couple of hours after check out. The breakfast at the hotel is a little too expensive in my opinion, even for Surfers (at $19 a head). There is a little surf club not far from this property towards the beach which has all you can eat buffet breakfasts for $10 a head.

The room itself was smaller than I am used to, but had all the necessities. It had an ensuite with a bath and a shower (though the shower was over the bath, and as I am recovering from a car accident and back injury I found it difficult to climb into and out of the shower without assistance from my partner). The bed was super hard. It was really uncomfortable for myself but others may like the firmness of the mattress. There was a microwave, mini bar, bar fridge (with the small freezer part at the top, but this wasn't really cold enough to keep frozen foods frozen), and a cook top and tea and coffee making facilities. The room also had a TV with foxtel and a balcony overlooking the city/ canals. There was a bit of noise from the lifts at night (we were in room 1302).

The location of the property was great, even for someone with a back injury who cannot walk long distances. You are situated only about 2 blocks from Cavill Ave and the main shopping district of Surfers. There is also a fantastic restaurant across from this hotel (about 500mtrs towards cavill on the opposite side of the road to this hotel) called La Rustica. HIGHLY RECOMMEND eating here.

Overall I had a pleasant stay at legends. I believe it was the location and the staff that made it good for me. The rooms are getting a little old and the beds could definitely do with replacing, but if you are just looking for somewhere to sleep then this hotel would be fine for you.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank in0rbit
Dear inOrbit,

I am really appreciate your feedback and am delighted that your stay at the Hotel went so well , we strive to deliver the best customer service possible and I am glad we have been able to provide you with a great weekend away.

NSW, Australia
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Arriving at the Mantra Legends was a complete nightmare. The whole of Surfers roads were in mayhem due to roadworks constructing the new light rail system and also the barriers for the forthcoming V8 racing circuit.!!! Our GPS had no idea and kept leading us into no through roads. It took us at least one hour to circumnavigate the deadends and finally find our way to the entrance.
I was horrified by the reception we received when checking in. I explained to the girl across the desk that we had been driving all day (most of it within the last kilometre!!) and it may be helpful to email/text potential customers the best route to take through the roadworks. I was met with a blank stare and asked for my name. Absolutely no sympathy or friendly gesture was made.
Our room was on the 19th floor and afforded a fabulous view of the ocean and then south along the beaches. The lights at night were beautiful.
The room was well appointed with a great kitchenette and everything we needed. Extremely comfortable bed.
We ate a seafood buffet in the hotel restaurant which was rather expensive and disappointing.

Room Tip: High up as possible for view and quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Morriemoo,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am naturally disappointed to hear that you experienced some difficulty finding the property due to the now completed light rail project, I would like to personally apologise for the inconvenience caused and also the lack of empathy shown to you on check in.

Its great you found the room well appointed and it had everything you needed, I would like to thank you again for your feedback and I hope you choose to stay at Mantra Legends Hotel when you next travel to surfers paradise.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed here 3 nights on family vacation. Overall, the services provided are good.

1. Check in and out were fast.
2. Rooms were spacious, clean, well designed and also with a comfortable bed.
3. There is a kitchen in the room where you can cook your meals there.
4. Good housekeeping.
5. Staff are friendly and helpful.

Hotel is located in a great location. You may walk around to have access to the beach, shopping complex and also restaurants. There are good restaurants (Chinese restaurants) in the hotel ground floor.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Mantra8, Front Office Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Sai Keong C,

Thank you for providing such detailed feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased that you found the hotel staff to be friendly and the room was spacious with good housekeeping. The hotels location is in a ideal position and I can see you enjoyed the surrounding restaurants.

Gladstone, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My partner and i stayed at the Mantra Legends when i arrived back from Thailand for 2 nights.

Great value for money. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. We had a beautiful view of the beach. The reception staff upon check-in are very friendly (even when its 2am in the morning!!)
Fantastic location, 2 street away from Cavill Av.

The only downside is - Half way home i realized i left behind my new pair of pants i got in Thailand, i remember leaving them on the bed as i was going to wear them. I called up straight away and nobody could help me out until the next day, i called back though house keeping where very unfriendly and say they couldn’t find anything left behind -.-

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Kayla94,

Thank you for providing such fantastic feedback.

I am extremely pleased that you found the front desk staff friendly and the location to be fantastic, without having your exact booking details I cannot look into the items you may of left behind, if you could kindly contact me via email chris.dickinson@mantra.com.au I would gladly look into this for you.

Once again thank you for sharing this feedback and I hope to welcome you back to Mantra Legends Hotel in the near future.

Bucaramanga
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

I spent 3 nights in this hotel and it was good... Customer service is an area to improve as well as the breakfast, which was absolutely mediocre.

Regarding the room I have to say that it was even more than I expected for the price, good size, clean bathroom and comfortable bed.

I would recommend the hotel as long as u are not looking for luxury.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Jose-Arcinegas,

Thank you for providing such valuable feedback on TripAdvisor, I am glad that your overall stay went well and that you found the property to be clean and comfortable.

I hope to see you back when you next visit Surfers paradise.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Attention Indians!

Excellent place to stay.
Indian Restaurant is just opposite the Hotel. It is called Tandoori.

Beach is walkable distance!

Enjoy Evenings at Beach Market.

Sea World is just 6 kms.

Kids would like this place.

Room Tip: Prefer rooms on top floors.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank pankajgarg1966
Dear pankajgarg1966,

Thank you for providing such fantastic feedback.

It’s extremely pleasing that you found the hotel location to be excellent and you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, I truly hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future and would like to thank you again for providing such positive feedback.