“Posh on the outside.......but”

Mantra Legends Hotel
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Sydney, Australia
“Posh on the outside.......but”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Went on a business trip for two nights.
First impressions are NICE...place is clean, staff are susper friendly and helpful, almost everything you could want in a hotel.

First problem
On the 15th floor there is no hot water pressure. The shower merely dribbles repeated mid sized globules of water at a temperature of your choosing

Suggestion, for a decent higher pressure clean, take your bathers and go outside in the rain.

Second problem
At 5 foot eight, around 175cm, I'm by no means tall.
My 2 year old son's bed fits me perfectly, allowing even a bit of stretching room whilst in the normal lying down position.
At the Mantra to get a good nights sleep, I had to choose to either
1 - Bang my head on the solod wood headboard
Or
2 - Have my feet hanging off the end of the bed.

You shorties will be ok, however I do like a good stretch before having to sleep in
The recovery position or a forced on the side semi foetal

Final problem
Noise
I'm still not quite certain of the origin -( I think it may have bee one of the superbly quick and well specced lifts)...if listening to large ping pong balls being dropped down a very wide, long and echoey plastic drain pipe at frequent and irregular intervals duri g the wee hours is your thing, you'll love this place.

Im a fairly lite sleeper, but still manage to doze off with my snotty nosed-soundin like a buzzsaw fiance who's really suffering a heavy bout of flu currently. I also live next to a seven lane highway and have severe tinitus.

I found it impossible to drift off quickky with that noise. Oh, and the mini fridge would kick off infrequently too adding it's unique vibe to the ongoing cacophany,

Review summary
Very well priced for the room specification (during the middle of the off season)
Ideal for short, shower hating deaf people.

Not ideal for
Average height, clean people who have average hearing

Room Tip: Stay as far from the lifts as possible. Maybe stay on a low floor if you like water pressure Book...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Dean W
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear “Dean W”

Thanks for posting a review on your recent stay at Mantra Legends Hotel.

I am pleased to see you were impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel and our ‘super friendly’ staff.

In reference to your comments regarding the size of our beds, I must say I am rather perplexed as we have high quality commercial beds supplied that are 2030 mm in length which should easily accommodate you given the height you indicated.(175cm)

I will be sure to follow up on your comments regarding water pressure and noise emanating from the 15 floor as we haven’t had any such comments from other guests staying in the hotel.

Thanks once again for the feedback and hopefully we can welcome you back again.

Matthew Everson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Korean first
Lennox Head, Australia
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Last time we stayed here I was less than impressed by the standard of the room and the quality of the cleaning, however, I am pleased to say this stay was far better. Our room was light, bright, airy and quiet. Good comfortable bed, nice pillows and reasonable toiletries. Nice swimming pool.
The hotel is well situated so getting around is no problem, especially now that the new tram service runs right past the door.
Fables in house restaurant is well worth a visit.
Would I stay here again. Yes, happily.

1 Thank Schlepper1939
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear “Schlepper1939”

Thanks for reviewing Mantra Legends Hotel during your recent stay at the Gold Coast.

We are pleased to see that the location and facilities were to your expectations and hopefully we can welcome you back again in the future!

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Any positive reviews you have read about this hotel or its staff, I would bet that the staff or managers wrote them to manage their appearance.

I had a 4 night stay at this hotel which for reasons long to explain, was done over 2 two night bookings. I was offered the same rate for both bookings, but declined the lower rate for the 2nd booking on the basis i would be able to stay in the same room (without checking in/out etc) for the 4 nights. I suddenly got a mobile call on the 3rd day saying my room needed to be vacated and that I would need to change to another room. I complained and mentioned the arrangement, but they said they "could not change" the situation, they even tried to make me return to my room early that afternoon though I said that would not happen. I returned to my room later (which I couldn't open) and explained what had happed to the receptionist - who said she didn't have "the authority" to fix it. They then gave me barely half an hour to pack my things up, and change rooms. When I was being given the new keys, wanting to show the receptionist my reservations and the different charges, she (named Britni or something like that) pushed me off onto another receptionist, presumably hoping I wouldn't go through the story with a new receptionist (which I didn't).

The new room stunk of rotten fish! And the housekeeper hadn't left the window open. I would have asked for another room, but it was already quite clear that we was getting nowhere with the horribly rude and useless staff. They simply refused to acknowledge the circumstances of this situation.

I attempted to negotiate a late checkout for the inconvenience and financial cost we suffered, but even that was only a small amount of time, and the housekeepers kept on nagging (repeatedly) for access to the room (on one occasion they didn't even knock they just opened the room when one of us was just coming out of the shower). Either they were being rude (which I doubt) or they simply hadn't been told we were checking out a bit later on.

Aside from all this, the rooms are generally fairly old and crusty, and quite cramped. The bed was awful (and was also 2 singles joined, which is quite stingy). Given how much good affordable accommodation must be in the GC, I wouldn't stay here again and regret doing so the first time.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room at this hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank TravZ_Canb
Dear ‘TravZ_Canb’

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mantra Legends Hotel.

I appreciate your detailed feedback regarding the hotel and the service offered by the team.

I do apologize that your experiences on this visit were not up to our usually high standard.
Please be assured that I will share your feedback with the team to ensure we can provide a higher level of service to all our valued guests.

Regards
Matthew
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Getting a bit old but still great value for money. Very clean, good food and great staff. Doesn't come any better in Gold Coast Central. Parking fees are a bit of a catch but standard for this area. Walking distance to all facilities.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Wayne R
Dear “Wayne R”

We are pleased to see that the location and service was to your expectations and hopefully we can welcome you back again in the future!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Was the room clean - The room was clean. Cleaners serviced our room when requested.

Was the bed comfortable - Yes, the bed was great. Pillows were a bit soft for me, but other pillows were available.

Was the enviorremnet quiet - We arrived Friday, and the room was quiet. The light rail runs past the hotel, so a room at the front may be noisy. Ask for a room at the back (Ocean View)

Location - 2 blocks from Cavill Mall. Our room was on the 20th floor, and had great views of the Pacific Ocean and hinterland. You can walk to everything, and the new light rail stop is less than 200m away.

The staff - Very friendly, helpful.

General information - Mantra Legends is an older hotel, but it is still good. A great value hotel, if a bit older than most.

We had our portable Wi-Fi with us, so can not comment on the hotel's Wi-Fi.

Would I stay there again - Yes, no complaints.

Room Tip: Room Tip: Get a room facing the Pacific Ocean. Highest floors the better of course
4 Thank FrankSue
Dear “FrankSue”

We are pleased to see that everything was to your expectations and hopefully we can welcome you back again in the future!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. I am amazed at how I got a fantastic room for this price. The rooms are way better than their dated lobby. Great value.

The only annoyance I had were the cold and uncaring staff at the reception.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank AlvinChanJB
Dear 'AlvinChanJB'

Pleased to see that overall you enjoyed the hotel, although surprised by your comments regardsing the staff service however will pass this on to the team for future improvement.

Stanthorpe, Australia
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We have been staying in this hotel as our yearly holiday destination since 2009. It is the best hotel on the Gold Coast because it does not only have a huge swimmingpool but the beach is just around the corner with long walk and bike ways and close to Cavill Avenue and the like if you need something from a supermarket. If you like parks, there are many within walking distance! If you like shopping ... shop until you drop without needing the car. And ... the best thing is that you can now hop on the Tram in front of the hotel and see the Gold Coast from Broadbeach to Southport and back for small change. And if you do not know where to go or what to do? Ask the Hotel Concierge! Have fun like we do. We are a retired couple (69 and 72) and enjoying life in the Mantra Legends!

Room Tip: Anything from the 5th floor up the view is excellent. Either beach or land.
1 Thank Herpam D
Mantra8, General Manager at Mantra Legends Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear “HermanOdijk”

Thanks for reviewing Mantra Legends Hotel during your recent stay at the Gold Coast and for choosing us a your regular holiday destination.

We are pleased to see that the location, facilities and service was to your expectations and hopefully we can welcome you back again soon for another visit!