“Wont go again”

Paradise Resort Gold Coast
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed for 13 nights. A bit too long really. The reason we picked there is because we stayed there 10 years ago and thought it was an amazing place for kids. I do still believe this. I tend to think the original pool was better, but it seems all the kids love the new water park which is understandable. When I was looking at it again, the website said it had been reburbished (which the rooms needed to be 10 years ago). Well, when I get there the room is exactly the same as it was 10 years ago, but in worse condition. I picked the kettle up and the bottom fell out of it, could barely open the glass sliding door to the balcony, the tv reception wasnt great and the tv was tiny. The bathroom tap dripped and the entry door had its own problems with opening and then slamming so hard behind you that the whole place could hear it. Credit to Paul the manager he did get maintenance to fix the balcony door, and then the bathroom, but they had to get a plumber in to fix that. The cupboard doors were impossible to open and the air-conditioner dripped water inside if left on for too long. Along with these problems the price they charged for food was ridiculous. $8.50 for a ham, cheese, tomato sandwich, which was stale. You would think these things would be made daily, but clearly not. We also had a fruit salad that the pineapple had fur on it. Unless you have younger kids, I wouldn't bother going. Mine are 10 & 11. Didn't feel they could enjoy it because they were too old. The staff are friendly, but for the price of the place a big thumbs down.

2  Thank Selena B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,454)

Reviewed 17 January 2012

We have stayed at Paradise Resort on a few occasions over the last 10 years. I have always found the staff to be very friendly and helpful.
Yes, the rooms are a little dated but were adequate for our needs. We had an interconnecting room overlooking the pool. I recommend these rooms for families with 3 children or more.
We ate in the restaurant one night and found the food to be satisfactory. The other nights we enjoyed the walk into the mall to eat. We did have breakfast at the resort one morning and were disappointed.
One of the biggest advantages of the resort is the location. It is an easy walk into the mall to eat breakfast and dinner.
The waterpark was amazing. Our children, aged 7, 11 and 16 had a great time on the slides. The pool is quite small but adequate, the spa was always full but this was expected with the resort full when we stayed.
We parked in the parking area adjacent to the resort and found this was great. Swipe card access assists with security. If you park under the resort you pay $5 a night. Not alot of money if you want to do this.
The kids enjoyed kids club and found the kids meals to be good.
I would recommend this resort to all families. It is a little noisy but so are most resorts that are designed for families.
We look forward to our next stay and thank all the friendly helpful staff for the great job they do!

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool are a little noisy but the view is great, especially when the shows and movies a...
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We stayed for one night 23 Dec 11. This was third time we had spent our anniversary at the Paradise Resort. 16th this stay. Our kids are 8 & 11, we stay at the Gold Coast so my sister (how lives on the Gold Coast) can mind the Kids for the night but we get to do family stuff the day before and after. My sister also has kids and they usually come and join as for some fun in the resort pool. This year that was not allowed. They have arm bands that you must wear if using the facilities. We were given the wrong colour and got accused of cheating to use their facilities. They even got the management staff onto us because they didn't believe us when we said we were paying guests. When they realised they had stuffed up all we got for the upset was a "sorry". That particular colour arm band was 3 weeks old yet we had only received them the day before. All the staff in the swimming area were there purely to enforce the rules. Rules like "No watches," " No goggles," "No bomb jumps into the pool" What kids pool doesn't allow bomb jumping. When the rooms are so crap, most of the $180 for the night is for the service you receive. There was no service. The cafeteria staff were rude(but seemed stressed, the prices were up and a 2.5% surcharge on any credit card payment in cafe. All anyone talked to you about was the RULES. Up until the Kids got accused of cheating and asked "where are your Parents" they were having fun. But there is now nothing for the Adults. The 2 times we stayed prior to this time was great. We could all play in the pools together and everything was very relaxed and staff were friendly. Now they have new management, new facilities, crabby staff and all together too many RULES. we will NEVER got to Paradise Resort AGAIN. We felt it was all about the money and not about the the customer.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
PRGC, Operations Manager at Paradise Resort Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay.
I am truly sorry that you were made to feel the way you did regarding the wrist bands, it seems one of our staff have made an honest mistake in issuing the wrong colour, which has then been followed by bad communication, when you bought the mistake to the attention of staff.
Our Z4K Waterpark is only for guests staying at the resort. You no doubt would have seen on the 23rd Dec how busy this facility is and we really want to make sure that our paying guest are able to enjoy the area without it becoming overcrowded from external users.

We do have a number of staff located around the waterpark whom are responsible for ensuring that children are using the equipment in the appropriate way and parents are in the pool area taking responsibility for their children’s behaviour. Yes, there are a number of “rules” which provide direction on what is a safe way to use and enjoy the facilities, but these are only enforced by the staff when people are not acting accordingly and putting other guests in danger.

I am sorry that our food and beverage service and facilities did not meet your expectations. I will certainly address the issue of the staff coming across rude.

Kind regards,
Stewart Kirkup and the Paradise Resort team.

Reviewed 16 January 2012

Staying at the Paradise Hotel was a wonderful experience.

As professional parents of 3 children from ages 2 to 15, we rarely get time all together as a family. This holiday was the first time we found a place which catered individually for each family member as a family as a whole.

On researching our holiday we did receive good reviews prior to our arrival at the Paradise Resort. We can now report that even with these good reviews, the overall stay exceeded our expectations.

We stayed in a King Bunkhouse room which we found to be generous in size (essentially 3 adults and 2 children). Although some may view the décor as dated, we found it refreshing to be in a 'kid aware' room which meant I didn't have to panic every time the kids set foot in the door, put their fingers on the mirror or walked out of the bathroom dripping wet.

Each of our family members noted their highlights: for our little ones the kids club and the 2 big water playgrounds (one for under 5). They were particularly pleased with the simple fun treats like 'frog in a pond' (green jelly cups with a chocolate frog) or 'grandma's teeth' (lolly teeth in orange jelly cup). For our eldest son, the large TV's to watch the cricket, the in room playstation, the central location to Surfers and the beach as well as the convenience to the bus route which stops straight outside the hotel door. For us, the ability to be able to book the little kids into the kids club for a couple of hours and then wander down to the hotel bar or across the road to a restaurant to have some adult time was a godsend.

We found that there was always something happening in the hotel, whether it was WII challenges, bingo or casino nights. After just 1 exhausting outing to the theme parks, we were so appreciative of the hotel's facilities that we barely needed to venture out again, but for all the other things in Surfers to do.

And also a big mention for the hotel mini-supermarket which meant we could have the best of both worlds, without leaving the hotel. Even better the fact that the mini-mart had milk, bread, butter, cereal etc, but it also had a full range of wines, spirits and beer that we could buy and take to our room or even have our own picnic near the the pool (without the usual guilt felt when you walk back to your hotel with bags of groceries etc). Furthermore, we found a good variety, of food and drinks on the menu and all were very reasonably priced.

During our 12 day stay we noted the friendliness of the staff and the safe atmosphere that the hotel generated. Until now, we had thought holidays with kids were something that parents just needed to survive; our stay at the Paradise Resort has changed our entire perspective of these events.

2  Thank Jane A
GENERAL_MANAGER_DB, General Manager at Paradise Resort Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2012

Dear Jane A and Family,
It was a pleasure to have you stay with us all at Paradise Resort. We are delighted that you all enjoyed your stay, Captain says to say "Hi" to Whil and Casey and the bar staff pass on their best wishes and hope to see you again soon and have the Mojito's at the ready.
We look forward in seeing you all again next year and wish you a wonderful year.
kind regards
David and the Team.

Reviewed 13 January 2012

Having just returned from a 4 night stay I found it catered very well for famililes with children. The 2 x water parks are excellent for both the younger & older age groups and prove to be very popular as well as the general pool & spa areas and will keep kids entertained all day. The resort offered various kids activities throughout the day based on the Paradise Weekly phamplet with a large range of choices on offer throughout the week. My 8yr old son enjoyed the the Zone 4 Kids Kids Club and the enthusiasm and professionalism of its staff with the varied themes was fantastic. I found the staff throughout the resort from reception, pool attendees, general store, restaurants, all to be very friendly during our stay. We dined daily at the Pool Bistro and I found the meals very well priced and enjoyed listening to the evening musician during dinner. Our room was a "pool facing" & was very clean with comfortable beds & spotless bathroom, along with the balcony with table & chairs overlooking the pool/grounds. For the price I thought the resort offered excellent value & being only a 10 minute walk to Surfers shops is conveniently located. Would go back again without hesitation.

1  Thank Richard M
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I picked this hotel because of its rating as No 1 place to stay with kids in Australia. I have no idea how it got that rating now. I have to say the staff were lovely, helpful and efficient, but they can only work with what they have. My major impression was that of a public swimming baths (minus the lifeguards) with 3* motel rooms attached.

The rooms were clean and serviced each day but they were not of the quality you would expect for the price paid. The pool are was a big diappointment: not enough umbrellas for shade, no lifeguards and very small for the number of rooms. In the week we were there, 4 children hurt themselves badly on the concrete or unsupervised slides (oh no that's right, a parent is supposed to accompany their children on each slide to supervise). The attendants only seemed to be there to get people out of the pool when unexpected 'surprises' were left by some children.

The location is fab and as I've said, the staff were all lovely, but I would not recommend this place to anyone.

I did what a previous poster had suggested and went to have a look at the Marriott a few doors away. WOW, I wish I'd gone there instead. For the same price we paid, we could have stayed there with breakfast included.

Room Tip: Ask not to be over the car park or bar area.
1  Thank JCrew3
PRGC, Operations Manager at Paradise Resort Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2012

Thankyou for taking the time to post your feedback. It is a shame that you and your children found the pool area disappointing. We agree that our pool area lacks shade and have recently ordered 5 umbrellas which are 5m x 5m and will cover most of the seating areas. While we do not expect you to ride the slides with your children (provided they are old enough to go by themselves), we do expect parents to closely watch and manage the behaviour of their children and ensure that they follow the instructions of our staff to use the facilities safely.

I hope you are able to find something that meets all of your requirements next time you take a holiday.

Stewart Kirkup and the Paradise Resort team

Reviewed 11 January 2012

Stayed here for 1 night in Nov 11 with my mother and my 2 sons aged 4 and 2. I would've liked a longer stay however it was a 1 night package that I purchased with my fly buys points.

I will start off by saying this most definitely a family resort, aimed at children of all ages. If you are a couple who want a quiet, relaxing stay, this is not the place for you. You will be bombarded by other people's noisy, excited children! Even though I am now a mother of 2 young boisterous boys and am able to block out such noise, I remember what it was like going on holidays before they were born, if I'd stayed at a place like this back then I would have been very disappointed. There are plenty of other Gold Coast hotels and resorts to choose from that would have less children and be much quieter so if that is what you're looking for, keep looking :-).

As for families with young children, this resort caters very well for them. The pool areas have recently been refurbished and the water parks are amazing. If your kids love the water, they will have a great time. Unfortunately my 2 year old got a fright when the water bucket dumped a load on him which he wasn't expecting and he was too scared to go near it again for the rest of the day, but had we been there for a few days he would have warmed up to it again. Nevertheless, there were PLENTY of kids there having the time of their lives in the water parks. They have 2 areas - one for bigger kids and one for the smaller kids which is great because I always find when you go somewhere like this, there are always bigger, rougher kids going crazy and ruining it for the littler ones.

Because the kids were so worn out from playing in the water park and the playground we didn't bother going to the restaurant for dinner, I simply walked downstairs and grabbed a couple of takeaway pizzas for us to eat in the room, as well as a couple of takeaway drinkies for my mother and I from the mini-mart. The pizzas were great - fresh and tasty. Buffet breakfast the next morning was also very good, we declined the hot food option and just stuck with the continental buffet which was more than sufficient for our needs.

We didn't get time to take advantage of the kids club as our stay was only short, much to the disappointment of my 4 year old who loves to meet other kids and play.

There is a convenience store on site - expensive, but if you forget anything at least you know you don't have to go searching far to find it.

Check in and check out was both friendly and efficient, no complaints. All staff we encountered were very friendly and efficient and willing to help.

The resort is located in a central location - not right on the beach (a few blocks back) but the pools & water park make up for this. Short walking distance to shopping, dining and entertainment in central Surfers also makes it a good spot - in fact its short distance from the centre of the action also means its reasonably quiet at night.

Guests need to remember that this resort isn't new anymore, it has had a couple of facelifts, but it is still starting to show its age. This didn't bother me as I know its been around for a while now, and I wasn't expecting anything new or luxurious, plus for the prices they charge (compared to other resorts on the coast) you really can't expect much more. The rooms were basic but reasonably clean and comfortable.

I would recommend this resort for families with children of all ages, would not recommend it for couples (both younger and older couples), especially if you are looking for a quiet relaxing holiday.

Would I return? With my children, absolutely. I feel it offers a good value family break, and if you're like me and very aware of your children's noise and excitement, you wont feel bad or feel like they are bothering other guests because there are so many other children doing the same thing!

Room Tip: For something quieter, don't choose/upgrade to a pool view room. Ask for a room away from the p...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Thank-you for your thorough and honest review. You certainly understand our philosophy! We agree our resort is geared first and foremost to families with kids! And that couples best seek more suitable accommodation.

I am glad to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, though only short. With further development plans in place, we hope you can return to experience future improvements and also try out the kids club.

Kind regards,
Stewart Kirkup and the Paradise Resort team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfers Paradise
RACV Royal Pines Resort Gold Coast
Hilton Surfers Paradise
Hilton Surfers Paradise
#14 of 31 in Surfers Paradise

Been to Paradise Resort Gold Coast? Share your experiences!