“Wonderful Holiday!! Loved it! Great place for Parents and Kids”

Paradise Resort Gold Coast
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I am always fascinated at the number of negative reviews for this resort. We have been twice now, 5 nights in June 2012 and 5 nights in March 2013. We absolutely love it. I have three kids 6, 3, 1. They have such a wonderful time with the water park (have no idea how people could complain about that, its amazing!), the activities run by the staff and also the kids club (which i must say is a wonderful time for the parents/adults to go out and about). The staff at the kids club are just wonderful. They do not call unnecessarily, the kids have a great time and they honestly seem to be there because they enjoy it. Yes the room we had last time (family room) was a little dated, but seriously its a kids resort, i never expected luxury however I do have to say though the rooms are very spacious and comfortable!! They have bowls and plates and cutlery, toaster, kettle! We could not recommend this place highly enough. We found 5 nights just enough to feel very relaxed and refreshed, and loved the fact the kids had a wonderful time. Thank you so much, all of your staff need to be commended, from reception to kids club to cleaning to lifeguards they were all super friendly and helpful!! We look forward to going back!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KH2401
GENERAL_MANAGER_DB, General Manager at Paradise Resort Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Dear KH2401
Many thanks for your feedback. We certainly appreciate your kind words and are delighted that not only have you highly recommended us but that you are planning to return.

We look forward in welcoming you and the family back in the near future

kind regards

There are newer reviews for Paradise Resort Gold Coast

Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed here recently with our young son. During check in the staff member we had wasn't overly friendly and it appeared we annoyed him when we asked if we could stay an additional night here. We grumpily rang reservations and it seemed to take ages before he got off the phone. Once we got to our room we noticed it wasn't overly clean, there was small dirt, hair and things on the floor. The bathroom is small, and old/dated. There were some stains on the toilet, sink and vanity area. The bedroom areas were good, there were 2 single beds in one room and the queen bed in the main room along with a table and chair setting. There is a small balcony off the childrens room. There are 2 tvs, one in each room and a play station was provided. The bed wasn't overly comfortable but it was OK. Parking is available undercover, we had to pay $5 per night (as it wasn't overly busy according to the check in staff). To gain access to the parking we had to swipe our card and then we could access our room and the facilities through the lift. As it was our first trip to the resort we were given some information in the form of brochures to read. We noticed that the Zone for kids club have an open play session for children to play with parental supervision. We took our 18 month down to have a play but the space was more for older children. It seemed fun and lots of different spaces for the children to play. There is a room for the younger children to play but we couldn't access that. We noticed some children doing some craft work with a staff member and they seemed to be having fun. There are lots of activities for children to do. We took our child to the adventure playground, there was some equipment he enjoyed playing on and had fun. There is a small shop if you needed to buy any groceries and 2 restaurants, although we didn't eat there. We had a swim in the pool in the morning, the water park didn't actually open til 9am but we were able to swim in the pool. The pool was heated and was nice. The rooms are serviced each night. Very central to Surfers paradise, the beach and attractions. There is a day spa, a souvenir shop, internet café and lots of facilities. The service wasn't the best but otherwise an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
GENERAL_MANAGER_DB, General Manager at Paradise Resort Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Dear Bumblebee30,
Many thanks for your feedback especially the positive comments in regards tot he children's facilities.
I was however disappointed to read about the less that satisfactory attitude of the male on the front desk in regards to extending your stay with us.
I will certainly follow this up and make sure that we undertake further customer service training in that area.
We hope to see you again in the future and that your experience with this individual has not marred your entire experience of Paradise Resort.
Kind regards
David & The Team.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

thank you to all the staff...... for making our family hoilday the best year after year. From the first minute to the last everything was excellent. the staff at the kids club give 110% to the kids. The cleaners were lovely every day and the rooms cleaned to perfection. That feeling of trust with all the staff was there from the word go...... again year after year again thank u....

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Dear Chantal,

Many thanks for your review. We are delighted that you all enjoyed your stay and hope to see you all again in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 8 June 2013

The lift was not working. And our room is far from the lobby. There is no bell service. Consider my family consist of two young children, the reception does not provide me with a nearer room. My room is more than 5 minutes. The lift broken down and it is during weekend, down for at least two days. How was I going to move my bags with two young kids and the car so far away. Room was smelly and stained. I did not bother to use any of the facilities and everything is over rated. I am not a fussy man but this place is certain over rated. My boys has better fun at the beach than at the resort. I can get better accommodation with the same price. Family listen to my advice, avoid this place at all cost, service is fine but cold. there is no smile from the heart. Worst hotel I ever stayed. Everything looks tired and old, dirty and unclean. Read the other reviews and they echo the same. Before I forgot, the whole building seem to be serviced by a same old lift, so when it break down (means it is very old), guests for the few days are taking the steps. Stay here if you like to exercise by taking stairs. And some doors near the stairs at night is lock, I cannot even go back to my room from the open Carpark and need to do a huge detour. (Rem lift is not working)

Room Tip: Pay higher for a five stars or move to a apartment. There is no service here. The over hype kid faci...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Markkhor
Glen H, Operations Manager at Paradise Resort Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Dear Markkhor,
Thank you for your review of Paradise Resort,
Firstly we would like to apologize for the lift not working we do have 5 lifts and unfortunately as with any building things can breakdown. We are currently in the process of renovating the first 100 rooms of the resort and do hope they would exceed your expectations. We do hope that you would reconsider your thoughts on the Resort and come back and experience the new rooms in the future
Kind Regards
Glen & the Team

Reviewed 8 June 2013

We are here on a special deal in a junior bunk house, good price, great room for the kids, not so comfy for us adults! There are no pool towels available for your time around the pool and at the amazing water park, there used to be years ago but when enquired was told hasn't been for a while now, bit disappointed, advised to buy some in the gift shop! But all this is forgotten when you realise you can have 4hours of child free time. Kids love the activities in the kids club and we loved being able to go out for a meal child free (some great restaurants close to the resort) (mind you the pizza is fantastic in the cafe). Breakfast is a bit slack, but they cater for tour groups and well as families. It's nice the pool is heated as I wasn't so keen on the kids swimming in the cooler weather but of course how to you keep them out, beach is with walking distance and great for a bit of a sunrise wander. The kids love this place and as we all know if you can get a few hours "child free" it makes life just that bit easier, even if it means sleeping on a hard bed for a few nights.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Lisa M,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay and have recommended others to experience our resort.

kind regards

Reviewed 6 June 2013

I've attempted to express my concerns regarding my recent stay at the Paradise Resort three times, with no reply or response. So I leave this review as a warning to others looking for a family-friendly resort that's worth the high price for an inclusive and relaxing family holiday.
If this is you - I suggest you DO NOT stay at this "resort"!

We entered our adjoining rooms and were met with a mouldy wet smell. There was a big wet patch on the carpet of one room that was still very wet (it appeared to have been cleaned in that spot) and this smell permeated the room for the entire stay.

The food was especially disappointing. The menu at the Poolside Café and the Bistro appears to be the same, so variety is limited. We treated our family to “dinner out” one night, and were expecting good quality, enjoyable meals. Instead, there were limited kid’s meal options (none of which included vegetables or anything particularly appetising or special), very small portions of fish and the “prawn and chicken” wok tasted like it had been made with precooked, reheated chicken. If you are going to charge restaurant prices, you really do need to serve restaurant quality food! If I wanted reheated chicken and noodles, I'd have stayed home and eaten my toddler's leftovers.

The poolside barbeque was even worse. I’ve spent many years in outback Australia and attended boarding school and by no means am I a fussy eater. But this barbeque food was terrible! One small paper plate permitted per person, and a small array of dried out burger patties, anaemic sausages, chicken pieces doused in a tub of dried herbs and some very tasteless salads. Apparently there was also steak on offer, although none of the staff pointed us towards the actual barbeque which was placed some distance away with the chef’s back turned to us and no indication at all that there was more food choices on offer should we venture over there! It was especially disappointing.

Still on the topic of food at the resort, we were also extremely disappointed with the bistro breakfast, which was essentially an over-priced and under-whelming continental breakfast. I think there were a choice of four cereals, toast, yoghurt and some pastries. There was no fresh fruit on offer. And no wait staff informed us of the option to pay an extra cost to receive a menu of hot items – we were informed that the hot items being served in the adjoining room with open doorways right beside our table, were not for us and were told nothing more

Our room was serviced twice during the 5 days. On the first two days, housekeeping turned up just after lunch. Not surprisingly, in an inter-connecting family room booked for 2 adults and 6 children and containing a cot by request, we had a toddler taking a nap at that time. So we quietly exchanged some towels, emptied the bins and left it at that. When housekeeping arrived at the same time the next day, we realised this would be a daily occurrence, and our options were to have the rooms serviced or have the toddler sleep. We chose the option that led to the most parental sanity – and since there were no other times for our rooms to be serviced, we had no further cleaning done for the remainder of our stay. I’d strongly recommend you arrange housekeeping to occur at more family-friendly times, in a family-oriented resort!

The television in one room did not receive many channels, but did have an inbuilt DVD player. Which did not work. We’d assumed since that particular unit had poor reception but included a DVD player, that it was in the room essentially for use with DVDs, and did not learn until well after the Discovery Desk had closed that the DVD player function was even worse than the television unit itself. We were told by maintenance the following day that it could not be repaired, and that we could hire a DVD player if we wanted one.
There was also the option to hire a microwave, a bottle warmer, a steriliser, a high chair and many other items that other similar places of hospitality offer as complimentary tools that help with regular family tasks, like feeding the baby or warming up some milk at midnight!
We were also not impressed with the kids’ club arrangements for toddlers. On the single day we attempted to leave our toddler there, it was staffed by one carer. Indeed there were not many children booked in for her to care for, but for the ten minutes we trialled our son in her care, she had two or three screaming, distraught toddlers and was simply not able to manage. She wasn’t exactly a reassuring, gentle, soothing carer to start with, and seemed quite frazzled when we returned, and relieved when we elected to remove our son from the kids club. Understandably, she seemed quite overwhelmed with more crying children in need of attention than she was able to provide alone. On this particular day we were not the only parents to remove their child from the toddler kids club.

I do want to commend your staff on being courteous, friendly and helpful at all times. They were each very professional in their manner but equally warm and welcoming, and we have absolutely no complaints about any of them. The bistro and café staff especially were accommodating and really pleasant to be around.
I’ve never written a letter of complaint before and I hope I have been clear but not offensive or dramatic in expressing my concerns. We had looked forward to this time away all summer, and were just so disappointed with how it turned out. I hope that in writing to you, some of these issues might be addressed so that others do not return home feeling they wasted precious family holiday time and expense on a resort that left them disappointed and frustrated.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank MashedPotater

Dear MashedPotater,
Thank you for your review of Paradise Resort,
We are sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your time at Paradise Resort. It is our policy to respond to all of our guests and we are not sure how this was missed, we would be more than happy to discuss your stay in more detail. As we don’t have your details, if you would like to discuss this further please contact us directly on 0755794493.
Kind Regards
Glen & the Team

Reviewed 5 June 2013

2 main reasons for booking this resort was the kids club and the water park features for kids and adults. I just came back from our weeks holiday and the water park, pool and spa features were very disappointing or should I say, freezing. The web site said the pools were heated in winter so you would think that would make it comfortable for this time of year. My kids tolerated it once for about 10 minutes and then never went in again. The junior water park was absolutely freezing, the smaller water park was not freezing but it was very cold. The main pool was cold and I only tolerated 10 minutes in there once and the spa was just warm (not very comfortable for too long). The adult spa was even worse. I went in one night on my own with a cocktail looking forward to some 'me' time and I stayed in there 5 minutes. That too was cold. When I complained to management I was told basically that that was the temperature it was and that was acceptable. I saw no-one else in the adult spa and didn't see much of the guests stay in the pool for long. I challenge any of management to get into these facilities themselves and see how long they last. The kids club was generally very good. My older boy had a great time and we appreciated the couple time we had. My younger two were in the under 2's kids club but I had mixed feelings about that. It seemed to be set up well, most of the staff were very good but I got the impression that what the kids did and how they were treated really depended on which staff were on duty. Apart from two occasions, the kids didn't go out into the outdoor play area. When I asked staff about it, they informed me that it was because they were understaffed and needed to shut the outside off so they could manage the place better.

Our second biggest grumble was the disappointment in the aqua room view we booked. We paid extra for our aqua view, only to find out that there was a huge palm tree stuck right in front of it, restricting our view. When I complained, they couldn't move us but didn't want to refund our aqua view room unless we moved to an outside facing view. They didn't seem to understand that a restricted view was not what we expected or paid for. I felt very 'seen off' particularly as the room above us had no restrictions so why should we pay the same as them. In the end, we were compensated which was acceptable but I felt we had to fight for it.

THe majority of the staff were helpful and nice. The splashes bar food was good and the pizza particularly was excellent - much better than expected. The convenience of having everything there was very good. To be fair, I have no complaints about the room (except the lack of aqua view that I paid for). I didn't choose this resort for the style and standard of the room. If that was a consideration, I definitely would have booked somewhere else. You an't expect too much if the rooms are not self-catering. I quite liked the fact that we spent little time in the room.

Another disappointment was the TV. The web site said that there was lots of channels including kids TV. It gave me the impression that there would be sky TV or at least digital TV. IT was not, just regular analogue TV. The picture was rubbish but I believe everything is turning over to digital now so that may have changed.

Overall, I had a good holiday and a good stay. Some staff need to be on the same page as there seemed to be a real mix of attitudes. The kids club overall was good but the outside water areas were a real let down due to the intolerable temperatures. We didn't use them but we expected to use them a lot. The daily programme was good but my kids were too young to be interested in it but would be great for older kids. Would I go back? NO. Too expensive for what it was and what we got out of it. If the water park and pools were more comfortable then yes but I got the impression the resort would be glad to see the back of us after our complaints. I would seriously look at somewhere like sea world next time.

Room Tip: If you book an aqua room, check for restrictions of the view first.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SharonT7
GENERAL_MANAGER_DB, General Manager at Paradise Resort Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Dear Mrs Sharon T,
It is a shame that you found it necessary to post your feedback after emailing me your comments earlier this morning and my immediate response to you that I was looking into your claims and would contact you shortly.
Since you have found it necessary to publically post your feedback, I will therefore respond publically.
Firstly as already communicated to you we are extremely appreciative of your feedback and the recommendations that you gave our operations manager during your hour long meeting with him.
A full report was undertaken with our management team and your acceptance and acknowledgement of complimentary breakfast for the duration of your stay for the family as compensation was believed to have been acceptable to you.
Your main complaint is that a Palm tree was outside your second floor balcony obstructing your view. This tree and the room have been in place for many years and we have never had a complaint prior. Being in the tropics most people see palm trees as a treat rather than an inconvenience.
You were offered alternative rooms albeit a limited choice due to availability or compensation which you took.
In relation to the waterparks I can assure you that all except the large water structure are as stated heated. To say they are freezing is obviously an exaggeration, however we did check the heaters and found the main spa at 34 degrees as stated and the main pool and small water structure at 28 degrees. Since your feedback we have increased the latter to 30 degrees which whilst warmer is still not bath temperature.
In relation to the adult Spa we can find no reason why this would have been cold that evening in question other than a fault in the electric system as I personally checked it the following day after your feedback and found it to be warm please accept our apologies.
Mrs T, we take all comments very seriously and have done since purchasing the property just over 2 ½ years ago which can be seen in the millions of dollars we have invested into the refurbishment so far and the millions more with our rooms due to open in the next few weeks. There will always be room for improvement and we are focused on actioning this daily.
We did and have taken each and every one of your comments seriously including us not being able to brush your children’s teeth after their meals in the kids club.
Once again thank you for your time and feedback
Regards