“Great water play area, but not good value for money” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Paradise Resort Gold Coast

Paradise Resort Gold Coast
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
“Great water play area, but not good value for money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights in a family room. Kids loved the water slides, pool and playgrounds. Restaurant good value, nice pizzas. Very noisy resort and basic rooms considering the cost. If you are not interested in using kids club like us, just not worth the cost. Other resorts on the coast with water slides offer better value for families.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank LoveBow
GENERAL_MANAGER_DB, General Manager at Paradise Resort Gold Coast, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Lovebow,

Thank you for your feedback, we are sorry to read that your family did not enjoy the experiences, activities and entertainment here and appreciate that not all products suit all people.

We hope you are able to find a resort more in keeping with your families expectations and wish you a happy and prosperous 2014.

David & the Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
the-entrance
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

I have stayed at the resort many times over a lot of years and as usual was fantastic.
I booked last minute and of cause did not get a great deal so stayed in an unrenovated room and I must say will pay the extra next time for a better room as I do know the renovated rooms I have stayed in before had a mattress topper well unrenovated rooms don't

I took my 11 yr old grandson and 4 yr old autistic grandson with me as the rooms have no locks I was given a door stopper to prevent the grandchild from escaping was not much help BUT the cleaners kept taking it so I would get it again and once again the cleaners took it so I gave up

Food is really good and I found not expensive mini mart prices are also good

Staff are really great always helpful

This was the 2nd visit that a child has neally drowned and I watched as an ambulance took them away not a very nice sight and it annoys me so much when parents in the pool insist on throwing the kid up in the air that's when accidents happen its a swimming pool all kids have a right to feel safe while in the pool not watching for some kid hurling through the air and causing an injury to another

In my opinion still the best place to take kids to on the gold coast so much to do so if on a budget stay at the resort all the holiday its as good as going to theme parks

Room Tip: look out for specials
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kerry p
Dear Kerry P and Family,

Thank you for your ongoing support of Paradise Resort, we are extremely appreciative of not only your positive comments but your feedback and suggestions.

We look forward in welcoming you all back again really soon and wish you all a very prosperous 2014.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

This is the only time I have ever left a negative review on staying at a Family resort. We stayed at Paradise Resort in Peak season for 3 nights from 26 December 2013. After spending a fortune $380+ a night for a "superior Family room" I have to say we were hugely disappointed in the standard of the room. We were on the Ground Floor in the Old section of the hotel in "Dustys Quarters". The room was musty, stank of an ex smokers room and just very run down. I am badly allergic to dust and had the worst allergies to the bedding. The best way I could describe it is it was like staying in a hotel room that was built 100 years ago and hadn't been opened in 50 years. The sliding doors were so rusted they could barely open onto the balcony. The real clincher was that we ALL got attacked by bed bugs and spent the whole time itching and came up in big red welts. We met others in the complex complaining of the same thing.
The positives (yes there were a few) is that the office staff were always friendly and helpful even though they were absolutely full. The Kids club was great too and the staff there were also great. Unfortunately after we returned home all my 3 boys got nits for the first time ever… so Im not sure if they got it from the kids club or the rooms but Im pretty certain they got it from there.
The kids pool area is great for kids but at that time of year it was way to busy to keep an eye on younger kids that can't swim yet. There is also no deep pool for adults to take a dip.
On our 2nd day we noticed that all the kids swimming clothes were all bleached from the Spa. Their boardies and rashies were all so badly ruined we ended up throwing them all out (about $200 worth) we did mention this to the Manager on Duty and showed her all the bleached clothes and she did offer to waive our shop bill of $50 but still refused to take responsibility for it. The blue Billabong rashies were so bleached they were almost white.
Im glad we only stayed 3 nights as we were thinking about staying 7. For such a huge price they really need to upgrade the rooms if they are going to charge that much.
The Chevron Renaissance across the Road was a thousand times better. We stayed here for the following 4 nights. Fantastic pool, better location with no highway to cross to get to the shops and the beach and only $160 a night for a 2 bedroom apartment with a fantastic view of the ocean and CLEAN modern furnishings, full kitchen and laundry with washer and dryer. No kids club but hey we were out and about most days at the theme parks anyway, thats where we will be staying again on our next Qld trip.
Sorry if you found my post so negative but Id rather be honest about our experience as I really value opinions on this website.

Room Tip: ask for a recently renovated room….. they would have to be better than the unrenovated rooms we had.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Roberts_Family2014
Dear Roberts Family,

Thank you for your recent review, on reading your comments your mentioned you booked and stayed in a Superior room however, you booked and stayed in one of our older style rooms not the refurbished rooms. As we advise all guests the rates paid to stay here are not for the price of the accommodation rather the entire experience including 4 hours per day per child of fully supervised kids Club, the water parks, Adventure Playground, the multi story Climbing frame and all entertainment each day ensuring that the kids are kept busy and entertained all day long .
I was disturbed to read that you believe you had bed bugs whilst here. We take this issue extremely seriously and employ the services of Elders Pest Control to ensure that the bugs brought in by customers are eradicated immediately. I can assure you that had we been aware of this issue we would have followed up with you.

It was good to read that you found accommodation more suited to your families expectations and hope you enjoy your stay there next time more than you have here.

Travellers are raving about these Surfers Paradise hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

What a wonderful place to stay with the kids, we stayed in the renovated wing in a junior bunkhouse I highly recommend spending the extra $$$$ this room was perfect with views of the water park and the Gold Coast skyline of buildings lighting up at night it was magical.

This resort has everything you never have to leave if you don't want to, heaps to do, face painting, movie nights, balloonists, magic shows my kids said this resort was better than disneyland that's a big call I know. The staff were very helpful and friendly, the food is yummy and good prices.

Kids club was great our kids only went once but they loved it!

We will be back soon loved this place!

Room Tip: Pay extra for a renovated room in captains wing! Bunkhouse is the best!
1 Thank Pamela P
Dear Pamela P and Family

Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a great review of your recent stay with us. We especially loved the comment that the kids felt they had a better time here than at Disneyland.

We look forward in welcoming you all back again really soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed in one of the older resort rooms overlooking the main entrance of the resort for a week at the end of December 13/beginning of January 14 with our two daughters, 6 & 3 months. This was obviously peak summer season, and the price reflected it, but it was our first real holiday with our kids and the only time my husband could have off work, so we paid it and hoped for the best. Check in staff were efficient, but not overly informative or especially friendly, which was a little disappointing after a long drive from Sydney. We weren't expecting a five star hotel room, and we certainly didn't get one. The bathroom was very dilapidated, the main bed was pushed up against the sliding doors, meaning my husband had to climb up the bed to get in, and the air conditioner was pointing towards the TV, so it was quite warm where we actually used the room, namely the beds. The maintenence man delivered a new flat screen TV to the room during our stay, and indicated that these rooms were due to be renovated this year, and they definitely need it. This all would've been a problem if we spent a lot of time in our room, but between 3 days at the theme parks, the resort pool, spa and waterparks, the kids club and exploring Surfers, we were really only there to sleep, and for that, we found the bed comfortable, the room relatively quiet (we were overlooking the main entrance, but it wasn't an issue for us) and clean. We could've booked a renovated room, but the extra $300 or so dollars would've meant a reduced stay, so were ok with it overall.

These were really our only complaints, the rest of the facilities and friendly staff more than compensate for the room quality. Our 6 year old would've happily spent all her time between the waterparks and the kids club, but we did the theme parks as well (which I do not recommend in the peak of summer, we all ended up miserable by the end of the day, too hot and so crowded we hardly saw anything). We enjoyed the kids club as it meant we could have some quiet time with bub, and enjoy a quiet dinner when she was asleep, a rare and appreciated luxury indeed! My daughter also did some of the other activities on offer, including plaster painting, necklace making etc, and these are at an extra cost, but not excessive. We ate quite a few times at the poolside cafe, and the prices were reasonable for a hotel facility, can recommend the bacon and egg burger for breakfast and the salt and pepper calamari for dinner, but I was disappointed at the price and size of a large coffee, even coming from Sydney! I had to get my coffee fix elsewhere, would've been nice to get it on site though! We only ate at the bistro twice, and our breakfast order was messed up, but it was rectified and we weren't charged for the mistake. We also didn't utilise the ice skating rink this time, but would've liked to have given it a go if we had the time. Overall, we had a very enjoyable holiday here. If you don't like noise or the heat or crowds, come in the cooler months. Also, if you want a modern room, book in the Captains Quarters. We'll do that next time, hoping to get back again soon, I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a fun family holiday!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Wameemru
GENERAL_MANAGER_DB, General Manager at Paradise Resort Gold Coast, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Wameemru and Family,
Wow great overview of your experience here. A big thank you for your candid comments which we found to be very honest and to the point.
We are currently in the process of upgrading a further 100 rooms which hopefully will be complete by the end of this year and hope you have the opportunity to come back and experience them.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

We had a Superior Family room, Aqua view, Captains quarters which had 2 rooms over looking the main larger water park. Great room, heaps of space but it was noisy with the waterpark right there. I knew it was going to be noisy when I booked the room so I accepted that, but after a week it was a bit draining with all the yelling, water spiling, etc. It was good to be out on the balcony and be able to see your kids from there. The Captains Quarters were recently done up and worth the extra bit of money. There was no information in your room regarding times for the restaurants, mini mart, shop etc which was a bit annoying. You are responsible for your children at the waterpark so there is no one there to monitor when kids go down the slide. So if your child is not fast enough getting off they will get hit by the next child coming down. I taught my girls very quickly to get up, run forward and then get off the slide. All the facilities seem well looked after and the staff friendly and helpful. The kids club seemed well managed but as it was peak season in school holidays they can have up to 100 kids in there and more. We only put the girls in for one fre season and we paid for a art and craft season as well. The girls where in there for 3 and a half hours and where happy to leave at the end. We did ice skating twice and loved it. We would of don't it more. We brought dreamworld tickets from the shop there and no problem. The mini mart is Expensive and only brought there for milk and a ice cream. The kids menu was good for selection of food but we stayed there a week and it didn't change in the week and my girls got sick of it. I found the food for the adults expensive but it was very nice. We hired a stroller for the week and it was a good stroller and no problems, they seem to have plenty of them. We didn't have a car but there seemed to be plenty of parking. The bus stop for the parks is right out the front and across the road for the return. It would of been cheaper if we had brought the bus card and put money on it and used that all week but we didn't find out about it until half way thru our stay. Tours and transfers can be booked thru the shop. I loved how the activities started as early as 7.30am and started earlier in the evening for the little ones. It says on the sign that the waterpark opens at 9am but they put it on as early as 8am. The pool closes at 7.30pm but there was often people still using it at 8.30pm. We noticed people getting up at 6am and claiming deck chairs by the pool which was annoying as they we all gone by 7.30am and no one was on them, half way thru out=r stay a letter was placed under all doors stating that no longer can you reserve a chair before 7.30am and if you do not return to your chairs after 1 hour, your belongings would be taken to lost property. I loved this idea, people could then rotate around and share the chairs, no longer could people leave their stuff there all day and not use the chairs. Having 2 rooms was great, giving us some peace in the evening. Overall is was a good stay, we would return for sure. Not for teenagers, too many young ones.

Room Tip: If you get a aqua room view, be prepared for the noise, but they are nice for the view. The captains...
1 Thank Fee70
Dear Fee70,
Thank you for your thorough review, we appreciate the feedback and will take on board your comments where we see we can improve.
As of yesterday we are happy to advise that our new in room magazine with all our facilities, services and entertainment are featured. The discovery magazine can also be viewed on our website prior to arrival.
Once again thanks for the feedback we look forward to welcoming you all back again in the future.
David & The Team.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

This is our 3rd time staying at Paradise Resort and once again we had a happy and memorable family holiday. The hotel amazes me with its innovation - this year we were delighted to walk in and find a full sized Jungle Gym in reception, the new ice rink, a new bbq area and new shade sails around the pool.

As always there is something happening at the resort whether it be jelly eating competitions, rock climbing, water fights or watching a movie on the giant screen with popcorn and fairy floss. Our 7 and 3 year old boys loved every moment and so did we.

We found all the staff were fun, friendly and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. We loved 'dress up Fridays' when all the staff dress up in different characters. From the look of the staff, they also loved it.

Our room was bright, clean and tidy which had everything we needed. The restaurant, bistro and family meal nights around the pool are really great. We found the hotel to continue to be an affordable family holiday and we have already booked for next year.

Dear Jane,
Thanks! Great review, cant wait to see you all again in the not too distant future.

David & The Team of Cocktail Barmen that enjoyed the challenge!!!