“PARADISE FOR KIDS”

Paradise Resort Gold Coast
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed three nights in a renovated junior bunk room in Captains Quarters. The resort was fairly quiet ie not school holidays. We took advantage of a 40% off special accommodation price which also included a 4 hour sessions at the kids club daily, which made the accommodation good value.

This review is based on our experiences with 2 kids... a 7 and 8 year old.

Overall, the staff just could not do enough for kids, nothing seemed to bother the staff we encountered, they were marvellous. The resort philosophy is definitely 'happy kids....happy holiday for parents', so their focus is clearly on the kids.

The accommodation and the resort in general was clean and tidy, infact the general areas were really well maintained (for an older resort).

Water park is the star attraction
Heated spa and pool very popular
Ice Skating...definitely give it a go
Saturday movies ... yet another free activity the kids loved
Kids club....a must...it's huge
Splashes shop....pretty well stocked (even take-away alcohol) and all reasonably priced
Café ... normal 'family' food delivered fast and reasonably priced. Pizza recommended.

Overall, they have included what you need for a family holiday without leaving the resort, however, use the kids club and you can then go and explore some adult entertainment or restaurants on the Coast. Some reviews have commented on the expensive 'rack' rates during peak periods, and whilst I probably wouldn't stay at those times, you must price in a lot of 'FREE' stuff the resort provides for the kids...there is quite a lot. Having said that it would appear that the target age group to most benefit from the activities would be 5 to 12.

The $10 parking fee got up my nose a little, but given the room discount we took advantage of, couldn't really complain. The free parking is way to far away from Captains Quarters to even consider as an option.

We had some maintenance issues with the room, but on each occasion the staff were fast to respond and were friendly and helpful whilst doing so.

Tips: Junior bunk room is not very big so if you want space upgrade to a larger room. Forget about the cheap rooms, book a renovated room. Try the kids club, but watch out for booking times (the 10am session must be booked by 7.30pm the night before)

If you found this review useful, please give me a 'helpful vote'. Thanks for reading.

Room Tip: Only book a 'renovated' room Plan and book kids club in advance (spaces can book out in bus...
10  Thank TackyMonster
Chris N, Front Office Manager at Paradise Resort Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear TackyMonster

It's great to read how our staff contributed to what appears to have been a great family experience packed full of activities. We certainly aim our core value to families with children from 0-12yrs.

We appreciate you felt the parking charge was not appropriate, however de to a limited number of undercover parking spaces, we can not guarantee a spot for all guests in this area. To alleviate this issue we give our guests the choice of parking areas of both a complimentary outdoor area or an undercover area with a cost involved.

We appreciate all feedback and can see that you have provided plenty of good information. We gave you a helpful vote. Maybe we'll see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We have just gotten home from a lovely family holiday at this resort. The staff were in abundance and all very friendly and helpful. We have two boys 3 and 5 and thought they were a great age for this resort. We didn't try the ice skating as we didn't think our boys would last the distance time wise and at $20 each for 2 hrs we didn't want to risk it. Although everyone we talked to said it was great! The boys participated in a lot of the resort activities and there as still plenty on even though it wasn't peak season, they loved the treasure hunts, concerts, dressing up and cup cake decorating. My husband also enjoyed the beer guessing and cocktail guessing for the grown ups! We made use of the complimentary kids club sessions, which allowed my husband and I some time together on holidays as well. My only complaints would be towards the kids club. My eldest son hated his first night and said the workers were too bossy, so we convinced him to try it again. The next night he said it was a little better, but still didn't want to go again. Again we talked him into trying the day time session and he loved it and our youngest boy loved all 3 sessions. I did notice when I dropped the boys off for one of the sessions that the staff did not really acknowledge the children and there was very little mingling, instead they were busy setting up. (Really this should be ready before the children arrive). In saying all this, I didn't find the service that bad that I wouldn't use it again. My only other complaint again is directed towards the price of the kids club meals and another kids meal ordered at another time. Our children had dinner on the first kids club night, our eldest boy said he ate all his dinner and his brother didn't like it and didn't eat all of it. Both the boys still come home and ate a full meal afterwards. As big eaters (especially our eldest boy) the meals were far too small. Kids club also advertised that snacks are often given, but my children did not get offered anything else. The next two times we fed them up before they went and gave them something else when they got home and they seemed way more content. at $8 for a meal, it seemed a little expensive for what they got. We also got a takeaway nuggets and chips for one of our sons and this too was $8 and tiny. The resort has a lot to offer families and we would recommend it to others. We will definitely go back, although next time we will be better prepared. The resort would benefit from having some self contained units for families who are on a budget or just like to cook their own meals. We hired a microwave, which was cheap to hire and made use of their BBQ facilities as we are not a family who eat out a lot, this worked well, but needed to bring own cutlery . my husband and i did have a lunch at the pool side cafe which we thought our meals were comparative to other cafe around. If you pick up one of the resorts deals, like we did it is great value for money. We would never pay full price, especially as rooms are very basic and fold out beds very uncomfortable. Luckily there is so much to do around the resort that time in the room is minimal.

1  Thank Shelley T

Dear ShelleyT

Thank you for providing such valuable feedback. Our goal is to ensure families return home with many memories and a true family holiday experience. It appears we achieved that over your stay.

It's disappointing to read that the Kids Club did not fully meet your expectations and as such i have forwarded these comments onto the appropriate manager to seek improvements. We are all about the kids which is why these comments are concerning.

We can't wait for you to return and hope that you give our ice skating rink a try next time, as you stated, we receive great comments about this part of our resort so it's a shame to miss it.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We just arrived home after a 7 night stay here at Paradise Resort and we have mixed feelings about it. The main issue we had was our accomodation as the hotel services, playgrounds, pools, eateries were all great & we had no issue with them. Our negative feelings centre around what we paid v's the room we had. We had a standard family room (we have 3 littles so needed accomodation for 2 adults & 3 children) and as we had splurged and paid $2200 for the 7 nights we were expecting a certain standard & I can honestly say that upon checking in & opening the door to our room my heart sunk, I almost cried & hubby was not impressed. It was like being in a derelict building. I immediately went back to reception & complained. I was shown another family room on the same level and then an upgraded family room - the difference was astounding. I would only stay at this resort again if we were in an upgraded/newly renovated room.
As we were not going to get the upgraded room for no extra charge & apparantly it wasnt available for the duration of our stay I chose a different family room that was slightly better than the original we were given but in short for $2200 the room had:
-poor lighting, no air con in second bedroom, a hole in the floor, cracked bathroom vanity, the toilet roll holder could not be reached by the kids so every time hubby or I had to go in & get the toilet paper for them, the bath had rust in it, cracked walls & tiles, lock to balcony was old & rusty, and generally it was very basic, old & dark & certainly not worth around $300/night. Our room at a lower price point & we would have been happy.
So basically, great resort if you stay in the new/upgraded rooms. Pretty disappointing if you stay in the rest of the resort. But as I said at the start, once out of your room everything else was good. I hope this helps, we aernt fancy people that need 5 star etc, but we really felt the standard of the rooms v's what you paid is not appropriate. If they would just renovate the rest of the hotel they would have a brilliant set-up.

Room Tip: You need to have a new renovated room in the Captains Quarters - otherwise expect very basic accomod...
8  Thank Rebecca S

Dear RebeccaS

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay. We are glad you enjoyed the activities and facilities around the resort. As you pointed out, we have renovated a section of the hotel with further refurbishments to continue shortly to ensure we meet our commitment of continual improvement across the resort. When we establish our room rates, they are room type specific of which our renovated rooms are a different room type to what it appears you booked on this occasion. Please also take into consideration the resort as a whole and that the rates quoted are inclusive of our many bonuses that other hotels do not offer, for example, kids club session daily per child, water parks, adventure playground, jungle gym, pool side activities, etc. This is in addition to the many other offerings like Planet Chill, Climbing Wall, Workshops and many other activities that we charge a nominal fee.

We hope you return in the future with a better room experience.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

There is very little negative I can say about Paradise Resort, as a family i can only say that we had a great time there over the nine days we stayed. Never a shortage of things for the kids to do, and that includes making quite a few new acquaintances. Staff were cheerful, helpful and courteous, Our room in the Captains quarters with a balcony onto the pool area was clean, roomy and comfortable. Extra activities were always available for all the kids and supervised activity sessions were overseen by capable and dedicated staff. Just the one concern, and that relates to the $10 per day undercover parking. Outside parking which we used is okay, but quite some way from most rooms, a problem if you suffer any mobility issues as my wife does and of which the resort was aware. The actual cost of your stay is not insignificant (but still great value) and I'm sure the parking could be included at no extra charge.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear BernardK

Its great to read that even over nine days you and your family were engaged in plenty of activities to keep your days busy and that staff were happy and helpful to your needs.

We do charge for undercover parking areas due to the limited number of spaces available in addition to the complementary outdoor car park which allows the guests to choose what suits their circumstances best. However, Anyone displaying the appropriate permits should have been directed to the allocated spaces appropriate spaces for your needs. I have addressed this with the front desk staff to ensure that it doesn't happen again in the future.

We look forward to seeing you return to Paradise Resort in the future.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Wow what can I say about this place. It is a bit pricey but it is worth it. You and the kids will love it, the water parks are fantastic endless hours of fun. The resort is definitely designed for kids. The kids club is great. There are activities daily to keep us all amused. They have really thought about.
The people are a fantastic bunch of helpful and fun staff members that go out of there way to make you stay memorable. Room service spotless. The room are comfortable we stayed in the superior family room, it is worth it. The bedding very cosy. playstation in the room but we did not use it as we were to busy pool side.
Breakfast good no hot food included in the package but heaps to choose from.
Over all we had a great time will always remember this place, spent a bit of money but we were on holidays that what you do!!!

Room Tip: Stay in the superior room as they have be refurnished and a worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rosetta N

Dear RosettaN

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. We certainly try to create a fun family holiday for all the family with memories that last a life time and its great to read we achieved this goal on your stay. The staff love what they do and this has been shown through your comments.

Hopefully we see you again sooner rather than later.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We have just stayed here for 5 nights, as a family, with kids aged 11,12 and 4. It was fantastic for all, the water park and pool area is fantastic, there is SOOO much to do with activities around the place all the time.

We stayed in a king bunkhouse and found this room fine. It overlooked the bbq area so was not too noisy and felt a little private on the balcony.

Kids club was great too and very much enjoyed by my kids, especially the older two!

Also the location was great, easy walk to the beach and shops/restaurants etc.

Only small thing I would like to have seen was a tv channel listing and a guide. One night our little one was tuckered out and so we were in the room having a couple drinks etc and channel surfing but not being from Aus did not know what hte channels were etc.

But thats a very small complaint in a the big picture.

Room Tip: we were in 2501, king bunkhouse and for a fmaily of 5 found this room very nice, clean and what we w...

Dear JacquiP

It is great to see you and your family had a wonderful time at Paradise Resort. Our King Bunk rooms are very popular for larger families and the kids often love the bunk bed set up and an area to play away from the parents.

I have forwarded your comments regarding the TV channel list to the appropriate manager to look into as this is value information to interstate or international visitors.

Hopefully you'll come back again soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

My sister came over from NZ so i went down to visit, so I stayed here with them. Having no children of my own I wondered what I was in for, but I must say I was impressed. I stayed in the Captain Quarters which have been refurbished friends stayed in Dusty Quarters, they need a refurb but seem to serve a purpose due to not really being in the room only really to sleep. There are so many events that are very well organised and I must say you must love your job to be around that many children scary ha ha. The Water Park is really awesome they have lifesavers attending so you can relax a little bit but they are still in eye shot. We had breakfast and dinners in the Bistro which is very well managed and staff are friendly and on certain nights there is a balloon artist that goes around for the kids he is very good. The food is very fresh and tasty and very affordable, portions are large for Adults. If your looking for a family holiday this is the place to go. Very well sign posted so found my way around as I was on the other side of the Resort. I give it a thumbs up only if you have a family or hanging with family. Close to Surfers shops etc. Had a great time thanks for entertaining my Nephews and giving the Parents a bit of a breather.

Room Tip: If you can afford the Captains Quarters it is well worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tania K

Dear Tania A

Thank you for providing your feedback. We don't hide the fact we are not the place to stay if you are on a business trip unless of course you have your family with you. However it is great that you had a great time with your sister and nephews.

Hopefully you could visit us again next time your sister travels to the Gold Coast.