“The dirtiest and worst kept establishment ever seen”

Paradise Resort Gold Coast
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Wollongong, Australia
“The dirtiest and worst kept establishment ever seen”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We booked in for 3 adults and 1 child. On entering the room we were shocked at how badly it smelt, looked and felt. The tea / coffee facilities looked like a camp kitchen ( in fact worse) and the bedding provided for my 10 year old wouldn't have sufficed for sour pet dog . The pillows looked way past their expiry date and with 2 i had to add 2 bath towels just to level my neck.
The staff i must admit were lovely but all in all the facilities are dirty , run down and frankly unratable i.e. 1 star is too high.
Would not recommend this place to anyone

Room Tip: Don't go !
13 Thank Happydinner67
Chris N, Front Office Manager at Paradise Resort Gold Coast, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Happydinner67

We appreciate all feedback regarding the hotel and facilities. However find these comments offensive.

We have a variety of rooms within the resort, some of which completely renovated just last year and a further 114 rooms currently under refurbishment. We are aware that whilst some rooms appear tired, they are always clean and presentable. I can only assume that we were unable to relocate you to another room to better meet your needs. Additionally to say "all facilities are dirty and run down" is not a true reflection of the resort. The Ice Skating rink, Pool, Spa, 2x Waterparks, Adventure Playground, Kids Club, Cafe, Bar, MiniMart, Jungle Gym, BBQ, Zone for Adults, Cardio Gym, Games room and a significant amount of rooms have all either been renovated or rebuilt over the past 3 years.

It is a shame we could not meet your needs on this occasion and we understand we are not for everyone. We hope you find suitable accommodation next time you visit the gold coast.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Pros
Good service. Great facilities- they have a waterpark, pools and spa, adults only pool area, climbing wall, outdoor bbq area, indoor playground and ice skating rink. Included in the price is Kids Club which my kids loved (3,5,12) where you can put the children in for a few hours a day.

Cons
We stayed in a King Bunkhouse room and it was ok. It isn't very open plan and the room can get hot so it pays to turn your air con on for 10 minutes and have a wander before taking the kids into the room. The air conditioning units need cleaning but outside of this everything else was ok. The bunk mattresses are uncomfortable for older children. We had a microwave but check cooking facilities in your room before you book.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank unzlo
Dear unzlo

Thank you for your feedback of your stay. It's great that you enjoyed all the facilities and services offered within the resort.

The comments regarding the air conditioner were addressed with the staff and management at the time, which was disappointing to read. Additionally, it is a good tip to turn on the air conditioning up on arrival, particular as some rooms get direct afternoon sun. I was surprised to read that you felt the room wasn't very open plan, as this is certainly one of our larger rooms and considerably larger than standard sizes within the industry.

We do have our Family rooms which are larger in size and may be adequate for your needs in the future. We hope to see you again should you return to the Gold Coast.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My family of four (Husband, myself and two boys aged 2 and 4) spent four nights in a King Bunkhouse room (Astros Alley) in mid May 2014. We took advantage of the 40% off deal and we’re so glad we did! As it was off-peak season there were no crowds to contend with and we weren’t fighting for pool chairs or café tables. The kids LOVED the water park; however the smaller park was not functioning during our stay. We were advised that the water was heated and although this might be true for the pool and spa, I doubt this is the case for the waterpark as the water was pretty icy. Our boys loved it though -blue lips and all! We didn’t use the ice rink or drop our boys off at the Kids Club but we did take advantage of the open sessions which they also loved.
The café and shop staff were always well presented, friendly and accommodating. The size of the meals in the café were well and truly adequate (especially the vegetarian breakfast!!!). We also loved the Wreck-It Ralph movie night that our kids got to enjoy in their pyjamas and the biscuit decorating session was a huge hit as well.
This resort truly is a haven for children so don’t stay here if you’re after peace and quiet as there are always kids laughing/squealing/yelling and generally having fun.
The only area of improvement I would suggest to management is the state of the bathroom. The fan was not working, which explained the mould that had started to grow in the corner of walls. The grout could do with a really good scrub as well. Also, it would be great if the bar had a happy hour for the adults!! Other than that, we’re really happy that we found this place and we’re already making plans to return next year!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Café as some nights they have musicians playing until 9pm. I could imag...
1 Thank lizzyarcher1984
Chris N, Front Office Manager at Paradise Resort Gold Coast, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear lizzyarcher1984

Thank you for taking the time to review our stay with us. We are glad that overall we met or exceeded your expectations for a fantastic family holiday.

The pools and spas are heated, whilst the large waterpark does not maintain temperature during its cycle of pumping water around the park and the size of the reservoir. Unfortunately over the cooler nights, heating becomes challenging to say the least. The junior waterpark is heated, however I am not sure why during your stay the small structure was not operating over that time.

I have forwarded your comments regarding the bathroom onto our maintenance and housekeeping teams to investigate and action as a priority.

Hopefully your plans to return are taking shape.
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights recently. We stayed as a family of four in a refurbished room in the Captain's Quarters and I would highly recommending upgrading to this area. The room itself was satisfactory and suited our needs. We realized that we were not going to a 5 star resort so with that in mind we were not disappointed with our room. I will list the positive aspects firstly:

Positive: The staff on the 1800 number when initially booking were very pleasant and helpful. We received our request for the type of room and floor we wanted. The facilities for the children were really great and our kids did not even want to leave to go to Seaworld! We stayed off peak and it was still pretty busy. The water play area is fantastic as is the play gym in the lobby. We did not use the kids club facilities, but did go down there for the open sessions where parents can attend and the kids had a fantastic time. We had a look at the Ice Skating ring and it looked fantastic and was just upstairs from the lobby. There is another play area out the back and there are a few bbq facilities that looked super clean. We ate at the bistro for breakfast and lunch and on both occassions really enjoyed the food. The service was actually of a very high standard at dinner, except the staff looked very busy and as more people came into the restaurant the wait became longer. Despite this we were really pleased. Breakfast offered a fairly good selection of foods. There were lots of activities listed (you get a helpful print out of activities when you arrive). You need to note that there are costs involved for most, but they are quite reasonable costs. There is a convenience store in the complex and this is well appointed and costs are reasonable.

Negatives: Our room did not get serviced during our stay. The bathrooms are small and we had sopping wet towels that did not dry and for the price we were paying we would have loved fresh towels and our beds made up (you need to bring your own beachtowels which we did thanks to reading another review on Trip Advisor). I spoke to the front desk staff about this to enquire if room servicing was included. I was told yes, but not on a Sunday unless requested the night before. We did not stay on a Sunday therefore the servicing should have been included. In the end my husband tracked down a housekeeping member himself and asked for towels and toilet paper. I gave this feedback to reception. This was not really received with much interest and I got the impression the staff receive a lot of complaints which must be frustrating for those on the front line of the reception desk..... Regardless to say the room was not serviced.

A big concern I had involved alcohol consumption by other guests around the kids areas. I saw numerous guests drinking out of glass beer bottles and wine bottles both around the pool and even standing next to the jungle gym in the lobby. I am not sure if they brought these items in themselves or if they purchased at the resort. Given children are barefoot mostly at this resort, I think this is an issue for managment. Accidents happen so why not minimize the risk by having alcohol free spaces or at least a no glass area.

I also saw guests smoking on balconies that looked directly down on the kids areas (namely the back playground that is quite overlooked by the rooms. The hallways smelled of old smoke and the staff tried to cover this up with airfreshner. When I checked in, a guest was complaining about the old smoke smell in his room and asking to be moved so I am not the only one! There were also a number of young children in the pool at night and there did not seem to be much or any supervision. This is not the resorts problem but perhaps a staff member could do a round now and then and perhaps police this a little more to avoid a problem.

I am certainly not denying the right for people to consume alcohol and smoke. I just think managment should make safer practices around these things where children are concerned.

So would I stay there again? Hmm not sure. I think I will investigate other hotels with kids facilities. I would recommend you give it a go yourself. Just bare these things in mind. If you supervise your children 100% of the time, then no doubt you and your kids will have a great time as we did in terms of the facilities which are impressive.

Room Tip: Request 3rd floor (highest level). Captains Quarter's and request a superior room. Pay the ext...
7 Thank Griswaldsvaccay
Dear Griswaldsvaccay

Overall, it appears you had a great family holiday and we certainly appreciate you taking to to leave this feedback.

Your positive comments are the core of what we set out to achieve and i am glad we achieved that with your stay. We are disappointed in the comments regarding room servicing and this feedback has been provided to our housekeeping manager for follow-up. As the Front Office Manager myself, i am concerned at how the issue was dealt with via the staff and i assure you am am working with staff about taking charge of issues.

We do have designated smoking areas and often direct guests to those locations, unfortunately not everyone adheres to these rules of which are government stipulations. I have been advised that were possible we will purchase beverages in cans/plastic to reduce risk of breakage, however to meet a broad range of people preferences this is not always possible.

We hope you come back to the resort and your comments have given us further thoughts on how to improve across the property.
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed three nights in a renovated junior bunk room in Captains Quarters. The resort was fairly quiet ie not school holidays. We took advantage of a 40% off special accommodation price which also included a 4 hour sessions at the kids club daily, which made the accommodation good value.

This review is based on our experiences with 2 kids... a 7 and 8 year old.

Overall, the staff just could not do enough for kids, nothing seemed to bother the staff we encountered, they were marvellous. The resort philosophy is definitely 'happy kids....happy holiday for parents', so their focus is clearly on the kids.

The accommodation and the resort in general was clean and tidy, infact the general areas were really well maintained (for an older resort).

Water park is the star attraction
Heated spa and pool very popular
Ice Skating...definitely give it a go
Saturday movies ... yet another free activity the kids loved
Kids club....a must...it's huge
Splashes shop....pretty well stocked (even take-away alcohol) and all reasonably priced
Café ... normal 'family' food delivered fast and reasonably priced. Pizza recommended.

Overall, they have included what you need for a family holiday without leaving the resort, however, use the kids club and you can then go and explore some adult entertainment or restaurants on the Coast. Some reviews have commented on the expensive 'rack' rates during peak periods, and whilst I probably wouldn't stay at those times, you must price in a lot of 'FREE' stuff the resort provides for the kids...there is quite a lot. Having said that it would appear that the target age group to most benefit from the activities would be 5 to 12.

The $10 parking fee got up my nose a little, but given the room discount we took advantage of, couldn't really complain. The free parking is way to far away from Captains Quarters to even consider as an option.

We had some maintenance issues with the room, but on each occasion the staff were fast to respond and were friendly and helpful whilst doing so.

Tips: Junior bunk room is not very big so if you want space upgrade to a larger room. Forget about the cheap rooms, book a renovated room. Try the kids club, but watch out for booking times (the 10am session must be booked by 7.30pm the night before)

If you found this review useful, please give me a 'helpful vote'. Thanks for reading.

Room Tip: Only book a 'renovated' room Plan and book kids club in advance (spaces can book out in bus...
10 Thank TackyMonster
Dear TackyMonster

It's great to read how our staff contributed to what appears to have been a great family experience packed full of activities. We certainly aim our core value to families with children from 0-12yrs.

We appreciate you felt the parking charge was not appropriate, however de to a limited number of undercover parking spaces, we can not guarantee a spot for all guests in this area. To alleviate this issue we give our guests the choice of parking areas of both a complimentary outdoor area or an undercover area with a cost involved.

We appreciate all feedback and can see that you have provided plenty of good information. We gave you a helpful vote. Maybe we'll see you again soon.
Inverell, Australia
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We have just gotten home from a lovely family holiday at this resort. The staff were in abundance and all very friendly and helpful. We have two boys 3 and 5 and thought they were a great age for this resort. We didn't try the ice skating as we didn't think our boys would last the distance time wise and at $20 each for 2 hrs we didn't want to risk it. Although everyone we talked to said it was great! The boys participated in a lot of the resort activities and there as still plenty on even though it wasn't peak season, they loved the treasure hunts, concerts, dressing up and cup cake decorating. My husband also enjoyed the beer guessing and cocktail guessing for the grown ups! We made use of the complimentary kids club sessions, which allowed my husband and I some time together on holidays as well. My only complaints would be towards the kids club. My eldest son hated his first night and said the workers were too bossy, so we convinced him to try it again. The next night he said it was a little better, but still didn't want to go again. Again we talked him into trying the day time session and he loved it and our youngest boy loved all 3 sessions. I did notice when I dropped the boys off for one of the sessions that the staff did not really acknowledge the children and there was very little mingling, instead they were busy setting up. (Really this should be ready before the children arrive). In saying all this, I didn't find the service that bad that I wouldn't use it again. My only other complaint again is directed towards the price of the kids club meals and another kids meal ordered at another time. Our children had dinner on the first kids club night, our eldest boy said he ate all his dinner and his brother didn't like it and didn't eat all of it. Both the boys still come home and ate a full meal afterwards. As big eaters (especially our eldest boy) the meals were far too small. Kids club also advertised that snacks are often given, but my children did not get offered anything else. The next two times we fed them up before they went and gave them something else when they got home and they seemed way more content. at $8 for a meal, it seemed a little expensive for what they got. We also got a takeaway nuggets and chips for one of our sons and this too was $8 and tiny. The resort has a lot to offer families and we would recommend it to others. We will definitely go back, although next time we will be better prepared. The resort would benefit from having some self contained units for families who are on a budget or just like to cook their own meals. We hired a microwave, which was cheap to hire and made use of their BBQ facilities as we are not a family who eat out a lot, this worked well, but needed to bring own cutlery . my husband and i did have a lunch at the pool side cafe which we thought our meals were comparative to other cafe around. If you pick up one of the resorts deals, like we did it is great value for money. We would never pay full price, especially as rooms are very basic and fold out beds very uncomfortable. Luckily there is so much to do around the resort that time in the room is minimal.

1 Thank Shelley T
Dear ShelleyT

Thank you for providing such valuable feedback. Our goal is to ensure families return home with many memories and a true family holiday experience. It appears we achieved that over your stay.

It's disappointing to read that the Kids Club did not fully meet your expectations and as such i have forwarded these comments onto the appropriate manager to seek improvements. We are all about the kids which is why these comments are concerning.

We can't wait for you to return and hope that you give our ice skating rink a try next time, as you stated, we receive great comments about this part of our resort so it's a shame to miss it.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We just arrived home after a 7 night stay here at Paradise Resort and we have mixed feelings about it. The main issue we had was our accomodation as the hotel services, playgrounds, pools, eateries were all great & we had no issue with them. Our negative feelings centre around what we paid v's the room we had. We had a standard family room (we have 3 littles so needed accomodation for 2 adults & 3 children) and as we had splurged and paid $2200 for the 7 nights we were expecting a certain standard & I can honestly say that upon checking in & opening the door to our room my heart sunk, I almost cried & hubby was not impressed. It was like being in a derelict building. I immediately went back to reception & complained. I was shown another family room on the same level and then an upgraded family room - the difference was astounding. I would only stay at this resort again if we were in an upgraded/newly renovated room.
As we were not going to get the upgraded room for no extra charge & apparantly it wasnt available for the duration of our stay I chose a different family room that was slightly better than the original we were given but in short for $2200 the room had:
-poor lighting, no air con in second bedroom, a hole in the floor, cracked bathroom vanity, the toilet roll holder could not be reached by the kids so every time hubby or I had to go in & get the toilet paper for them, the bath had rust in it, cracked walls & tiles, lock to balcony was old & rusty, and generally it was very basic, old & dark & certainly not worth around $300/night. Our room at a lower price point & we would have been happy.
So basically, great resort if you stay in the new/upgraded rooms. Pretty disappointing if you stay in the rest of the resort. But as I said at the start, once out of your room everything else was good. I hope this helps, we aernt fancy people that need 5 star etc, but we really felt the standard of the rooms v's what you paid is not appropriate. If they would just renovate the rest of the hotel they would have a brilliant set-up.

Room Tip: You need to have a new renovated room in the Captains Quarters - otherwise expect very basic accomod...
8 Thank Rebecca S
Dear RebeccaS

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay. We are glad you enjoyed the activities and facilities around the resort. As you pointed out, we have renovated a section of the hotel with further refurbishments to continue shortly to ensure we meet our commitment of continual improvement across the resort. When we establish our room rates, they are room type specific of which our renovated rooms are a different room type to what it appears you booked on this occasion. Please also take into consideration the resort as a whole and that the rates quoted are inclusive of our many bonuses that other hotels do not offer, for example, kids club session daily per child, water parks, adventure playground, jungle gym, pool side activities, etc. This is in addition to the many other offerings like Planet Chill, Climbing Wall, Workshops and many other activities that we charge a nominal fee.

We hope you return in the future with a better room experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfers Paradise
#11 of 32 in Surfers Paradise
Turtle Beach Resort
Turtle Beach Resort
#1 of 10 in Mermaid Beach

Been to Paradise Resort Gold Coast? Share your experiences!