“Resort was fine but lifeguard was not.”
Review of Mantra Sun City

Mantra Sun City
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 4 February 2012

My 3 kids and I stayed here in Sept 2011 for 4 nights in an ocean view apartment on a high level (can't remember exactly, possibly 21st floor).The unit was fine and had everything you needed but nothing flash. Kitchen looked a bit tired. Lack of wi-fi was disappointing.

The pool with the waterslides looked fantastic but in reality it was absolutely freezing and my kids came out with blue lips after just one turn. It would be so much better if this pool was heated.

We moved to the indoor complex where the pool and spa are both heated. There is a lifeguard on duty who on the first day was very helpful directing the kids how to use the waterslide. However on the second day he sat on a chair by the side of the pool with his back to us, texting and reading a book. As we were the only people using the indoor complex at this time, I let my kids use their water guns. The lifeguard must have gotten a bit of an over over-spray from one of the kids because he turned around and gave us a verbal spray saying "I haven't chosen to participate in your game so don't wet me" or something of this nature. I was totally floored and embarassed and I apologised profusely. I felt like I was a kid in primary school again. We left the pool swiftly afterwards.

Apart from this incident, (which marred the entire trip for me), Sun City is a reasonable resort, if a bit overpriced. Close enough to walk to Cavill Mall (takes about 10 mins) and bus stop very close by.

The restaurant at the resort is very average. Save your money, you can do better elsewhere.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a good view but cost extra.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,172)

Reviewed 28 January 2012

Returned Yesterday and after reading some reviews on this hotel I was a little uncertain but it turned out to be everything I would want for a Gold Coast Vacation. We had a 3 bedroom apartment on the 21st floor. Views were excellent and the apartment was very spacious and well maintained. I understand that as this hotel is strata managed then the condition of each apartment would be subject to the owners but could not fault the one we got and it was cleaned to perfection. It is a self contained apartment building and thus we were not expecting it to be cleaned every day but we certainly had enough linen etc for the entire stay and all inclusions (ie A/C) worked well. Front desk staff were very polite especially the ones that work on the weekend/public holidays so couldnt fault it there either. Coles supermarket is an easy 10min walk to get supplies and there are many Restaurants to try in walking distance. The kids enjoyed the indoor and outdoor pool and the slide and about the only critisiscm I have here is that the pools could be cleaned a little better. Lifts worked well and had no trouble with the card readers either. Overall the resort is quiet, reasonably well maintained and centrally located. A pleasure to stay. If you want all the bells and whistles without being able to cater for yourself then stay across the road to the Marriott and dont complain.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Rocky4
MWM99, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Hi Rocky4,
Thank you for your lovely and enthusiastic review of Mantra Sun City. I am thrilled you were pleased with your stay and enjoyed your unit and all it had to offer. We certainly strive to provide quality service and value for money at the resort. I look forward to greeting you back in the near future.

Reviewed 22 January 2012

We stayed there it was terrible the first room i dont know how people would sleep sheer curtains let the sun right in and so hot. After being moved the second room with the view we were promised it was slightly better although these blinds didnt block out sun on holidays i like to sleep in not be woken at 0530 when the sun comes up. Also the windows and balcony had not been cleaned filthy but couldn't be bothered complaining. The pool is too small for so many people parts roped off for slides half for little kids leaves you a very small section of the pool. I really dont think it was worth the price paid and would never return here. Believe the reviews on here if you have booked good luck if you havnt booked dont look elsewhere i have stayed in 5 resorts on the gold coast and this was by far the worst.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Danielle J

Dear Danielle J,

Thank you for posting your feedback after staying with us. I am disappointed that you were not satisfied with your stay. The furniture of our rooms does vary given the individual owners. We would certainly try to assist any guest request if possible and I am sorry that you did not bring these matters to our attention during your stay so that we would have had an opportunity to assist you more. We actually have three swimming pools at Mantra Sun City and the large Lagoon Pool does have a roped section for the safety of all swimmers due to out large waterslides. Again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed 22 January 2012

went to mantra sun city for our honeymoon in jan 2012 was promised 1 bedroom apartment with
ocean / hinterland view on
floor 12 ( spoke to 2 duty managers ) when arrived room had no ocean view at
all contacted reception and was told that i could only move to a new room
the following day after i complained i was told they would ring me back in 10 minutes
i waited and waited and around a hour later they rang and said they would move me to floor 9.
When we arrived at room 904 the room was very outdated small and the windows on the balcony
were so dirty i thought they were tinted and not a 4.5 star hotel as described after 5 days
the room was cleaned as we were on a 10 night stay it looked like the bed was made changed the
towels and left didn't even vacuum or dust or clean windows The pool was good for kids due to the
slides but no good for anyone else due to being partitioned for the slides and didn't look as big
as the photos if you have been to Crown Towers it wasn't even a quarter of the size of there lagoon
the Staff are very rude if you see them in the lift or around the hotel they don't even say hello The
whole hotel needs a face lift and it is nowhere near a 4.5 star hotel i have stayed at a lot of hotels
on the gold coast as we have been there a few times and they have all been quiet good but this one
and its staff was very very poor and we will never return to any mantra hotel again I know management
will respond to this review with there excuses but have a look at all the bad reviews on here im not
the only one who has complained on here about this hotel all i can say is look elsewhere not worth
the money and do not stay for a honey moon

Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank scjordan

Dear scjordan,

Thank you so much for your honest review following your stay with us. I am disappointed that you were not satisfied with your stay with us. I am also surprised at your experience with our staff as they continually receive very good comments over their friendly and helpful manner which is the standard we always strive to achieve at Mantra. The section of our large lagoon pool with a floating rope is for the safety of guests using the waterslides, this would not be necessary at other pools without slides. All rooms are allocated as per bookings and oceans views are provided with this room type it is the level of the rooms which cannot be guaranteed.
Again, I do thank you for your feedback .
Regards,

Reviewed 19 January 2012

I write my first review on trip advisor after an incredible bad stay in this hotel(?).
We payed me and my girl friend more than 300$/night...to stay in what is in reality a poor quality building with some badly isolated
Hotel rooms with No hotel services.
In fact it's the only hotel we've been
Where we've been asked to change sheets ourselves!!!

No service , no hotel staff, and a very very poor decoration.
I should also add a constant passage inside the building of pizza delivery personnel..which add in the
Corridors and elevators a disturbing junk food smell.

Do yourself a favour.
Avoid this place.
Pictures speak for themselves!!!

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank Brunoandirina
MWM99, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Hi Brunoandirina,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. I do apologise for any inconvenience caused due to the fact that we are not a standard hotel. We are an apartment style building and all units are self contained. Daily service can be provided, if requested, for an additional charge.
Many people on holidays do order outside takeway food and all levels of our buildingdo have a garbage chute area for guests to dispose of any rubbish, unfortunately at times some guests do leave them ourside their door for our staff to collect.
Again I thank you for your review.
Sincerley,

Reviewed 16 January 2012

we stay there 2 nights around new year period.
Be aware, this is not an hotel.
There is no service!!!!
No cleaning lady!!, you have to change the sheets yourself.

It's a very low quality building for rental appartment FOR A VERY LOW COST clientele.

My worst experience in an hotel ever!.
It will be equivalent to a one star hotel if it would be considered so.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Marc5770

Hi Marc5770,
Thank you for posting your feedback after staying with us recently. We are a strata apartment building and all unts are self contained. We do provide laundry facilities in the units however, a daily room service can be arranged at an additonal charge. All apartment style buildings operate under the same system.
I do apologise for any inconvenience caused with this issue during your stay. I do hope we are able to welcome you back again sometime with a full understand for our style of accommodation.
Sincerley,

Reviewed 11 January 2012

I stayed at the Mantra over the Xmas to New Year week with my 13 year old daughter and found the location reasonably good but it was still a good twenty minutes walk to the centre of Surfers Paradise.
Our room which consisted of two single beds, was very small and defintiely not worth $200 a night! We shared a hall with another room that seemed to be a luxury suite. Everytime the guests in the luxury suite opened their door we would hear their door and the hall door slamming behind them, complete with their conversations at all hours. The tiled floor in the hall only made the noise worse of course. Strange concept to have two rooms of different classes near each other.
The fact that we had to pay around $35 extra for a housecleaner to clean our room. Although there were other cheaper options of around $20 for just a vacum and a bedchange. I have travelled alot and have never had to pay for a daily room clean. The fact that this hotel charged $3 for an extra towel or pool towel was absolutely outrageous for the price we paid to stay here.
The breakfast buffet was O.k but by the end of the week, we were alittle tired of the over cooked fatty bacon. I won't stay here again as there are many more places on the Gold Coast that would offer better value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for two double beds if you are wanting two single beds in the room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Tonishair
MWM99, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2012

Hi Tonishair,

Thank you for your feedback outlining your recent stay with us.

The unit in which you stayed is known as a dual key unit which is quite common in apartment buildings. As a strata property units are only serviced on departure or after 7 days unless a daily cleaned is booked and paid for. Our breakfast buffet is the same daily however, we do have a minimum of six hot dishes, four cereals, six fruits, two yoghurts, various breads, juices, pancakes, tea & coffee which we believe gives great variety for our guests.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Regards,