“Smelly corridor glass found in the sandpit cockroaches in room”
Review of Mantra Sun City

Mantra Sun City
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Melbourne, Australia
“Smelly corridor glass found in the sandpit cockroaches in room”
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

I booked here for the kids slide and sandpit and stayed just before Easter holidays. Room looked tired and had dead cockroaches in the bathroom after I complained was given another room and the corridor stank, it was such an awful smell. Then while using the pool another guest pulled out a piece of glass from the sandpit where her young toddler was playing - unbelievable ! At this point I didn't even bother to say any more to the hotel staff obviously no one cares at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Imojine
Damian S, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear Imojine,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at Mantra Sun City Resort.

I'm very sorry that your first room was not up to a satisfactory standard, this is unacceptable and again I do apologise.

I'm also sorry that you found a corridor had an odour in there, we do work hard to avoid this however we will monitor closely and aleviate this issue moving forward.

It is very unfortaunate that there was glass found in the sand at the pool area, we are closing the pool for a refurbishment in the next week and the sand will be completely removed and replaced.

Once again we thank you for your feedback.

Mantra Sun City Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Good hotel, getting a little bit outdated but still enjoyed the Myan theme. Location on the Gold Coast hwy was good, very convienient to catch the buses to the theme parks. Was a good walk into the heart of Surfers, which my husband and I didnt mind too much but was a bit much for our son, especially on really hot days. The pool was fantastic for our son, he loved the water slides, which was the main attraction for us booking here. The room was extremely spacious. the ensuite was bigger than the main bathroom and the wardrobe was huge, more than enough room for the three of us, in a two bedroom. Was a bit surprised that it cost extra to have the room serviced, never heard of that in a hotel before. We had an ocean view room and apart from the noise from roadworks (no fault of the hotel) the view and room were great.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Aussietravelbug,

We're very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us along with the room and leisure activities based onsite.

Your feedback on the Aztec theming is welcomed and I am pleased to advise that there is currently rectificatoin and refurbishment work happening around the resort to improve the look and feel.

We do hope to welcome you back to Mantra Sun City Resort in the near future.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed 1 night the week before with my mate , last minute booking and i had a great time and was looking forward to staying again the following weekend for 2 nights with my girlfriend , I thought it would have been a nice place to go for her birthday .... So I booked online and it kept saying incorrect card holder name , so I assumed it hadn't gone through as I didn't get a booking number . Phoned in then a tried to book , then found out i had been charged from the online booking twice and had no money in my bank account , so I tried to sort it out with the lady on the phone and then after phoning all day at work I was told I was going to be refunded one of the bookings not including the Eftpos fee I got charged . On arrival with no money on the weekend away I thought I was going to enjoy with my girlfriend , we got the wrong apartment I had tried to book online . Getting a small room no kitchen (one of the facilities said online) just 2 small beds and. Tv with a view of the construction going on at the entrance to the place , not enjoying my first night sleep , I decided to complain about our room only to be charged 30 dollars more to have the room I thought we paid for .... So after my weekend away , no money to do anything as they said I would be refunded in 5 days for the double booking . I have checked my bank account to find the money is no longer awaiting to come in to my account and I have been charged still twice ..... Have to go back to work now and still trying to sort out things for the horrible weekend I had , will not be staying again or recommending this place to anyone .

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Sunsh7ne
Damian S, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear Sunsh7ne,

Thank you for taking the time to review Mantra Sun City Resort following your recent experiences with us.

I'm very sorry that you have encountered issues using the online booking engine, booking the incorrect room and being charged twice.

The operator at Mantra Group would have done everything in their power to organise a refund however with all EFT transactions, we cannot guarantee a refund before 10 business days as we have no control over the banks, I'm sure this is understood not to be the Hotel operators error.

I'm also sorry that the incorrect room type was booked online however I am happy to read that after the error was noticed we were able to put your into a one bedroom suite at the higher rate that would have been charged in the first place.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at Mantra Sun City for the second time this year - 1st week in September.
This trip we had an apartment on the 30th floor. We usually stay on 16th or 17th floor.
Thought it may be a little high, but was fantastic.
We always book a one bedroom ocean view apartment, and this time it was as good as the last visit.
Staff were exceptionately friendly and helpful.
We have been staying at Sun City twice a year for about 6 or 7 years and always enjoy our visit.
The light rail system is being installed at Surfers so some roads are closed, but the detours are easy to follow.
There was never a problem with construction noise.
Would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Cody44-10,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review following your recent return stay at Mantra Sun City Resort.

We certainly appreciate your return custom and again thank you for your valued contribution on trip advisor.

We do hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have stayed at other Mantra hotels on the Gold Coast in the past and found them to be excellent. Our visit this time was good but the overall level of maintenance and upkeep of the hotel was below expectation. The complex itself appears to be well maintained but the room we had was looking very tired and in desperate need of an overhaul.

All that said, the staff were brilliant....friendly, helpful and welcoming. The location was terrific. Easy for us to get in and out of even with the road works! Our view in the morning over the ocean was a wonderful start to the day and the twinkling lights of the surrounding buildings at night was picture perfect.

Ample room for 2 adults and 2 kids to spread very comfortably

Overall, we will go back there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Sharon B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review following your recent family holiday to the Gold Coast.

We appreciate your feedback and certainly welcome your commentary on the staff, hotel and facilities. We're also pleased that the view in the morning and in the evening enhanced your experience.

We are working on a full refurbishment of the Aztec theming currently along with our indoor pool, restaurant and very soon the lobby area.

We are also working with owners on a daily basis in the hope of refurbishing the accommodation rooms, many have come on baord and we will purse others to do so in the near future.

We once again thank you for your feedback and do hope to get the chance to welcome you back to Mantra Sun City Resort.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Whilst not terrible or the worst stay I've ever had, I found this hotel a little bit of a miss in some areas. The room was incredibly spacious, I'll give it that, and there was a beautiful ocean view. I also slept incredibly soundly and the bed was very comfortable. The location was quite nice, despite ongoing roadworks and a few difficulties in accessing the hotel. What wasn't so great was the room cleanliness. The kitchen had red wine stains in multiple places and the ceiling in the kitchen had other stains (possibly mould?). The carpeting was such that walking around barefoot gave us all blackened feet in a short amount of time. The couch had a large rip in one of the cushions and the main shower smelled awful.
Also, when we went to the poolside bar for some family pre-dinner drinks, we sat just underneath the edge of the building- and were spat/vomited on. We did not see who did it, but some sort of foul smelling liquid came out of one of the upper windows and landed on us, ruining a brand new suit and a dress. When staff were informed they were quite helpful, however, I don't think the issue was followed up at all and no apologies were offered. The drinks were not able to be finished because they caught some of the liquid but no replacements were offered. Whilst not the hotel's fault, I still feel more could have been done. The hotel is a decent stay, however, there were just too many little things that all added up to make it such that I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view, it is quite spectacular.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Lauren S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed reveiw following your recent stay at Mantra Sun City Resort.

Firstly I would like to offer my apologies that there was an issue with one of the unit's above drainage units spilling onto you whilst enjoying a beverage, this is most unfortuante and again I do apologise. Owners within the building are well aware that these drains are only there as rainfall run off and not to be used to clean or to disgard other liquids.

I'm very pleased to read that you foudn the hotel acceptable and the rooms spacious, it is concerning to read however that there were cleanliness issues within the room, this is unacceptabl eand something we do take very seriously.

We have just undertaken a full audit of rooms to ensure that all owners carry out a planned refurbishment of rooms if furniture is in an unacceptable condition, we hope to have this rectified in the very near future.

Lauren, once again we thank you for your feedback and do hope to get the chance to welcome you back to Mantra Sun City Resort again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Have stayed here before a few years ago but had forgotten how much I love this place. The rooms are massive. Balcony view of the ocean was lovely. The pools are superb. The room furniture is a little dated but everything was clean and since the room rate is so cheap I don't mind this at all. The full size kitchen was great to prepare my own meals. Bed was comfy and had a great sleep. Every room in this apartment is huge. The bathroom was huge and the shower is the biggest I have ever been in.
I have stayed in a few different places on the Gold Coast over the years and this place is definitely my favourite. It can't be beaten for room size, location, balcony views and value for money. The pools alone are worth the price of the room rate. I thoroughly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with views of the ocean. Make use of the fantastic pools. The outdoor spa and l...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MagellanMelbourne
Dear MagellanMelbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent experience at Mantra Sun City Resort, we're very pleased that you love this resort.

It's great to read that the room sizes, balconies, pools and hotel facilties have met your needs and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.