“not very good at all...”
Review of Mantra Sun City

Mantra Sun City
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
alex hills Australia
“not very good at all...”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My friend and i stayed in a two bedroom apartment from the 27/9/13 to the 29/9/13. The room also included breakfast for both mornings..
The rooms were very tired looking and really could do with a freshen up and some modern furniture.. on the upside the beds were extremely comfy..
On the first day we went into one of the lifts and wondered why the door on the lift only partially closed... a woman in the lift, (obviously a full time tenant) assured us its ok, as u have to push the doors closed urself.. which another woman dutifully did !! and off we went to our room on the 2nd floor.. we chose not to use that lift again..
I must also complain of the awful rubbish smell coming from the rubbish chute located on the second floor, the smell ran right along the hallway it really was horrible, so hopefully that will be fixed soon..
The remote control for the tv in our room didn't work also, but we had maintenence come up and they fixed that problem..
The grounds of this motel are very nice, the pool is just beautiful and also the spa as well.. the indoor pool looked great too, all lite up at night!!
Breakfast was good, with a good range of food both hot and cold... which was nice.

All in all a pleasant stay, but really could do with some thought and some maintenence on that lift in particular...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank marea9
Damian S, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear Marea9,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at Mantra Sun City Resort.

I'm pleased to read overall that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I do however offer my apologies regarding the lift, unfortuantely Surfers Paradise suffers from strong winds and particularly like a tunnel, the wind comes up through the basement and occassionally we have issues with the lift doors closing, this is not unsafe and I can provide information that the lifts are going to receive an urgent upgrade in the near future with new door closers to aleviate this problem.

The rubbish chutes are maintained daily however we will make contact with our odour control specialist to again look at the issue.

Once again, we do thank you for your feedback and do hope we get the chance to welcome you back to Mantra Sun City Resort in the near future.

Mantra Sun City Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Korean first
Mooloolaba, Australia
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My son and I stayed for just one night, in a twin bed hotel room. My rating makes allowance for the value deal I got for a room including breakfast for two at $145. If I had paid what other sites or other nights were asking I would not be so pleased. We had a pleasant experience, but things are getting very tired and the room was small. We were in a two single bed room that adjoins what I'm guessing would be a king room. Parents in there and the kids in our room behind one main door and small entry hall. So our room was basic. Little tv, bathroom, not a lot else. Mould on the tiles and curtain in the bathroom, but beds were clean and comfy. Road works going on ALL OVER THE PLACE!! Must be driving everyone crazy while they install this light rail. We drove in circles for a good 15 mins in heavy traffic trying to find a way in to the hotel. Once we figured out the maze it was ok. We left the car parked when possible to avoid the issue! It is a bit of a walk into surfers though. At least it's flat, with plenty to look at! We found the hotel clean, including the pool, and the buffet breakfast quite sufficient, but the gym is not enough for a real workout. Would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Aussies07,

I'm pleased that you and your son enjoyed your stay and that the Hotel room was good value for your experience.

We thank you for your feedback on the resort and can happily advise that the exterior Aztec of the resort is currently being fully refurbished and is looking fantastic. The lobby should follow this project which will give the Resort a whole new look and feel which is fantastic.

The road works and light rail works are somewhat easing and am pleased to advise that the rail has finally been laid across our intersection, the area will be finished within the next six months which is great.

We're happy that you will stay again and we do look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I am giving this hotel 5 stars based on the fact I only paid $145 for it on lastminute.com and it included breakfast for 2! At that price it was outstanding value. The apartment was huge, with a full kitchen, full laundry, separate bath and shower with double sinks and a lounge you could tango in! I was able to put my baby's portacot in the walk in robe. It was clean and quiet on the 6th floor. The staff were fine, though I had no special requests, so they weren't put to the test. They did let me leave my car in the car park for a few extra hours when I checked out though, so we could walk to the beach which was helpful.

The breakfast was amazing, the best Ive had in a hotel for awhile. The outlook onto a water feature was also nice. Lots of awesome fresh australian fruits. Pure perfection would have been a decent coffee, as that was the only thing lacking.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Damian S, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Rozinz,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regarding your recent short break to Mantra Sun City Resort.

We're very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the room and breakfast suited your needs.

We do hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

I booked here for the kids slide and sandpit and stayed just before Easter holidays. Room looked tired and had dead cockroaches in the bathroom after I complained was given another room and the corridor stank, it was such an awful smell. Then while using the pool another guest pulled out a piece of glass from the sandpit where her young toddler was playing - unbelievable ! At this point I didn't even bother to say any more to the hotel staff obviously no one cares at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Imojine
Damian S, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear Imojine,

I'm very sorry that your first room was not up to a satisfactory standard, this is unacceptable and again I do apologise.

I'm also sorry that you found a corridor had an odour in there, we do work hard to avoid this however we will monitor closely and aleviate this issue moving forward.

It is very unfortaunate that there was glass found in the sand at the pool area, we are closing the pool for a refurbishment in the next week and the sand will be completely removed and replaced.

Once again we thank you for your feedback.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Good hotel, getting a little bit outdated but still enjoyed the Myan theme. Location on the Gold Coast hwy was good, very convienient to catch the buses to the theme parks. Was a good walk into the heart of Surfers, which my husband and I didnt mind too much but was a bit much for our son, especially on really hot days. The pool was fantastic for our son, he loved the water slides, which was the main attraction for us booking here. The room was extremely spacious. the ensuite was bigger than the main bathroom and the wardrobe was huge, more than enough room for the three of us, in a two bedroom. Was a bit surprised that it cost extra to have the room serviced, never heard of that in a hotel before. We had an ocean view room and apart from the noise from roadworks (no fault of the hotel) the view and room were great.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Aussietravelbug,

We're very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us along with the room and leisure activities based onsite.

Your feedback on the Aztec theming is welcomed and I am pleased to advise that there is currently rectificatoin and refurbishment work happening around the resort to improve the look and feel.

We do hope to welcome you back to Mantra Sun City Resort in the near future.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed 1 night the week before with my mate , last minute booking and i had a great time and was looking forward to staying again the following weekend for 2 nights with my girlfriend , I thought it would have been a nice place to go for her birthday .... So I booked online and it kept saying incorrect card holder name , so I assumed it hadn't gone through as I didn't get a booking number . Phoned in then a tried to book , then found out i had been charged from the online booking twice and had no money in my bank account , so I tried to sort it out with the lady on the phone and then after phoning all day at work I was told I was going to be refunded one of the bookings not including the Eftpos fee I got charged . On arrival with no money on the weekend away I thought I was going to enjoy with my girlfriend , we got the wrong apartment I had tried to book online . Getting a small room no kitchen (one of the facilities said online) just 2 small beds and. Tv with a view of the construction going on at the entrance to the place , not enjoying my first night sleep , I decided to complain about our room only to be charged 30 dollars more to have the room I thought we paid for .... So after my weekend away , no money to do anything as they said I would be refunded in 5 days for the double booking . I have checked my bank account to find the money is no longer awaiting to come in to my account and I have been charged still twice ..... Have to go back to work now and still trying to sort out things for the horrible weekend I had , will not be staying again or recommending this place to anyone .

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Sunsh7ne
Damian S, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear Sunsh7ne,

Thank you for taking the time to review Mantra Sun City Resort following your recent experiences with us.

I'm very sorry that you have encountered issues using the online booking engine, booking the incorrect room and being charged twice.

The operator at Mantra Group would have done everything in their power to organise a refund however with all EFT transactions, we cannot guarantee a refund before 10 business days as we have no control over the banks, I'm sure this is understood not to be the Hotel operators error.

I'm also sorry that the incorrect room type was booked online however I am happy to read that after the error was noticed we were able to put your into a one bedroom suite at the higher rate that would have been charged in the first place.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at Mantra Sun City for the second time this year - 1st week in September.
This trip we had an apartment on the 30th floor. We usually stay on 16th or 17th floor.
Thought it may be a little high, but was fantastic.
We always book a one bedroom ocean view apartment, and this time it was as good as the last visit.
Staff were exceptionately friendly and helpful.
We have been staying at Sun City twice a year for about 6 or 7 years and always enjoy our visit.
The light rail system is being installed at Surfers so some roads are closed, but the detours are easy to follow.
There was never a problem with construction noise.
Would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Cody44-10,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review following your recent return stay at Mantra Sun City Resort.

We certainly appreciate your return custom and again thank you for your valued contribution on trip advisor.

We do hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Best regards