“Family Holiday”
Review of Mantra Sun City

Mantra Sun City
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Very friendly staff, good amenities for a young family and close to the beach and surfers paradise CBD. The rooms are huge and very spacious, overall a great place to stay. Breakfast was ok with plenty of options for all dietary requirements.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Damian S, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Greggers68,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay.

I'm pleased you and the family enjoyed your stay with us and we do hope to get the chance to welcome you back.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed here this past long weekend. We booked a 2 bed deluxe spa suite for 4 people, which was extremely affordable and i wrote a little note requesting an ocean view.

We arrived at the gold coast alot earlier than we anticipated as we were driving from Sydney all through the night, we were all extremely exhausted by the time we arrived. I spoke with a young man on the phone about checking in earlier than 2pm, he was not only rude but didnt offer to assist with speeding up check in time. Which we expected we couldnt check in earlier but I think he needs some customer service lessons. at the end however, we requested a key and he did give us a key to leave our car and use the pool area while we waited for our room :)

Anyway, we got the wonderful beachview from our 2 bed apartment, it was HUGE & spacious and we were in love with the whole place. So affordable and such a wonderful apartment.
the pools were fabulous, it wasn't too far of a walk to cavill and it's pretty much across the road from the beach. The staff who took over in the afternoon & nights over the weekend were FANTASTIC!!! they were extremely friendly, so helpful and really funny. :) Thanks for a great weekend !!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Damian S, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear Elz08,

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay.

I'm pleased that overall you had a fantastic weeekend and enjoyed your short break in Surfers Paradise.

I offer our apologies that we were not able to provdie an earlier check in time, I'll also liaise with the team member who did not provide the approprirate level of service.

Unfortunately we had the University Games checking out on Friday after a week long stay so the housekeeping teams were certainly stretched - again I offer my apologies.

We do hope to welcome you back agian soon.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Great family hotel. stayed for 5 nights with our 3 children. The rooma was a huge 3 bedroom apartment. Rooms were well appointed but getting a little bit tired and worn. Views were magnificent from the apartment. Breakfasts were terrific. the pool area and tennis court were great for the kids. Location is great near the beach. Staff are good. No real complaints at all had a great time.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Thank you David704 for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regardng your recent stay.

We're very pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your experience with us.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I stayed here for 3 nite...the place is huge and in good location .the hitch is u don't have service because your charged for everything including for bath towels to be changed r for room to be cleaned. The front desk people require good hospitality training because they are least helpful in helping tourist in directions and know about of the place..
Be careful after pre booking also they block 200$ for security purpose which takes a long time to revert back for which u don't get any proof..

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear GRNK11,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at Mantra Sun City Resort.

At Mantra we offer the lowest available rate to ensure our guests have a choice, therefore daily servicing that you would find in traditional hotels is an added extra.

Bath towels and guest amenities are all included in the rate, additional charges for pool towels are payable.

As with all International Hotels, a pre authorisation of a credit card is industry practice, available on our terms and conditions and covers any room charges back to the room including but not limited to tours, restaurant food and beverage, movies, telephone and internet, I hope this is understandable?

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I researched my little heart out trying to find a location for my fortieth birthday party... I questioned, I quizzed I investigated every last detail and decided to go with good old faithful Sun city. After all we've been booking with them regularly for more than a decade. Today, months after I made my booking and a mere 18 days before the big pool party (sans alcohol and music - I know I'm boring!), I was rung and informed that they are undergoing major renovations to their facilities. The stuffy little indoor pools and the smaller outdoor pools are still available but the whole beach and waterslide area will be a construction area from the 8th of October to the 18th of November! (Check your bookings people you might get a pretty view of a construction zone). When I complained that the replacement facilities offered were not on par management decided to mention they have a limit of five guests per booked room. Now as most of my guests would be day guests that I was going to show my formerly-favourite hotel off to we really only needed the one double apartment for afternoon tea and food prep. My previous assurances from staff about multiple swipe cards, car parks and seating areas was out the window!!! All of a sudden some laconic staff member on the phone said they couldn't deal with my booking at all and cancelled it because of the never-before-heard-of 5 person limit. So two weeks out the party is cancelled and I have a stack of 2nd hand invites going cheap. Sun city's attitude seemed to be "tough luck!" They were willing to take my booking before they had renovations in place or maybe their front staff are just poorly trained in giving quotes - I can't figure out where to put the blame. Anyway for dealing with last minute hiccups for important days Sun City gets a zero in my books. I wouldn't trust them to deal with an important day ever again. Badly done Mantra, badly done, after 13 years of faithful patronage I am walking away with a very bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Aussiegirl037

Dear Aussiegirl037,

At Mantra Sun Ctiy resort we ask all girls to sign a no party policy, at no time woudl be allow a guest to occupy a room with the maximum pax of 5 and then conduct a 40th birthday party by the pool.

This contravenes the Body Corporate By-Laws which all guests and owners must abide, I'm sorry if you felt you were misled and allowed to hold a 40th birthday party.

The pool area was confrimed to us as being out of action for the period you have stated by the Body Corporate who are undertaking a full refurbishment of the common areas.

Unforutantely this is out of the control of Mantra Management and again we offer our apologies.

We have notified guests of the closures and offered alternative accommodation for those looking for a larger pool within the Mantra network.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

My friend and i stayed in a two bedroom apartment from the 27/9/13 to the 29/9/13. The room also included breakfast for both mornings..
The rooms were very tired looking and really could do with a freshen up and some modern furniture.. on the upside the beds were extremely comfy..
On the first day we went into one of the lifts and wondered why the door on the lift only partially closed... a woman in the lift, (obviously a full time tenant) assured us its ok, as u have to push the doors closed urself.. which another woman dutifully did !! and off we went to our room on the 2nd floor.. we chose not to use that lift again..
I must also complain of the awful rubbish smell coming from the rubbish chute located on the second floor, the smell ran right along the hallway it really was horrible, so hopefully that will be fixed soon..
The remote control for the tv in our room didn't work also, but we had maintenence come up and they fixed that problem..
The grounds of this motel are very nice, the pool is just beautiful and also the spa as well.. the indoor pool looked great too, all lite up at night!!
Breakfast was good, with a good range of food both hot and cold... which was nice.

All in all a pleasant stay, but really could do with some thought and some maintenence on that lift in particular...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank marea9

Dear Marea9,

I'm pleased to read overall that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I do however offer my apologies regarding the lift, unfortuantely Surfers Paradise suffers from strong winds and particularly like a tunnel, the wind comes up through the basement and occassionally we have issues with the lift doors closing, this is not unsafe and I can provide information that the lifts are going to receive an urgent upgrade in the near future with new door closers to aleviate this problem.

The rubbish chutes are maintained daily however we will make contact with our odour control specialist to again look at the issue.

Once again, we do thank you for your feedback and do hope we get the chance to welcome you back to Mantra Sun City Resort in the near future.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

My son and I stayed for just one night, in a twin bed hotel room. My rating makes allowance for the value deal I got for a room including breakfast for two at $145. If I had paid what other sites or other nights were asking I would not be so pleased. We had a pleasant experience, but things are getting very tired and the room was small. We were in a two single bed room that adjoins what I'm guessing would be a king room. Parents in there and the kids in our room behind one main door and small entry hall. So our room was basic. Little tv, bathroom, not a lot else. Mould on the tiles and curtain in the bathroom, but beds were clean and comfy. Road works going on ALL OVER THE PLACE!! Must be driving everyone crazy while they install this light rail. We drove in circles for a good 15 mins in heavy traffic trying to find a way in to the hotel. Once we figured out the maze it was ok. We left the car parked when possible to avoid the issue! It is a bit of a walk into surfers though. At least it's flat, with plenty to look at! We found the hotel clean, including the pool, and the buffet breakfast quite sufficient, but the gym is not enough for a real workout. Would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Aussies07,

I'm pleased that you and your son enjoyed your stay and that the Hotel room was good value for your experience.

We thank you for your feedback on the resort and can happily advise that the exterior Aztec of the resort is currently being fully refurbished and is looking fantastic. The lobby should follow this project which will give the Resort a whole new look and feel which is fantastic.

The road works and light rail works are somewhat easing and am pleased to advise that the rail has finally been laid across our intersection, the area will be finished within the next six months which is great.

We're happy that you will stay again and we do look forward to welcoming you back.