“We were very happy here.”
Review of Mantra Sun City

Mantra Sun City
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We four women (aged 66 - 73) were very happy in our two bedroomed apartment. The kitchen was fine with fridge, toaster, kettle etc. and pantry and the space in the lounge and bedrooms was just great. TV's in all rooms. Bathrooms and water pressure good too. We were pleased to have our own laundry with washer and dryer, as well as iron and drying rack. We stayed for nine nights so arranged for our room-service on the fourth morning. The reception staff were extremely helpful and friendly. I have to make special mention of Ashley - we really enjoyed her. We made use of the excellent spa and swimming pool.
The new trams were very handy. We used our Go-card to travel on trams, buses, trains and river-boats - lots of fun. And good restaurants nearby. And shopping .....

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Damian_Sillars, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Polly EG,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regarding your recent 9 night stay with us at Mantra Sun City resort.

We are very pleased that the four of you enjoyed the fully self contained apartment, resort facilities and the local restaurants and shopping.

I'm also personally pleased that the My:G was open and you could enjoy the tram service as well as other local public transport options.

I will certainly mention to Ashleigh the personal feedback which I'm sure she will be very pleased to read.

I do hope we get the chance tl welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We checked in on the 9th of August. The reception staff were amazing and so so lovely. We were on level 8 in room 803. The place was lovely. Two bathroom, two bedrooms and a walk in robe in the main bedroom. The views even from the 8th floor was amazing. Will be staying here again for sure!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Tori N,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at Mantra Sun City resort.

We're very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

On check in, the room was not ready and we were told we would be called when it was although nobody called. When we finally checked in the keys didn't work for the room which meant a second trip from the 22nd floor with all our luggage. Not a great start. Even though the room was a good size it was very dated. The cleanliness was very poor , with flies in the light shades, balcony covered in cigarettes butts in bottles and egg cups and stains on the bedding. The apartment had a stale smell for which we were offered a scented candle but no explanation. The furnishings are in very poor condition, particularly the beds. Very uncomfortable. When we informed the duty manager of our disappoint with the room we were informed that because the self contained apartments are private lets Mantra were not responsible for the furnishings only for the kitchen and even that wasn't up to standard with a large crack in the microwave door and food left in the fridge freezer.

After first seeing reception and the great facilities the hotel had to offer I was very disappointed with the standard of the room. The apartment next to ours was as seen on the internet and as we expected and I do not understand why all rooms are not of the advertised standard.

We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant which again wasn't great. It was obviously understaffed and very busy. There was no cutlery or bread/pastries when we first arrived and the hot breakfast was cold and looked like yesterday's leftovers.

After staying in other Mantra hotels and with the price we paid for our stay I expected a much higher standard. I have stayed in many other hotels along the Gold Coast and for the price paid you can get a lot better than this.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mden60

Dear mden60,

Fristly I would like to apologise that you were not called when your room was ready and secondly that the keys did not initially work, this is most unfortuante.

I also wish to apologise regarding the cleanliness issues mentioned above; this is completely unacceptable and certanly not in line with our normal very high standards. I will personally liaise with the housekeeping team and ensure that the attention to detail is lifted immediately.

All of the units are Mantra Sun City resort are individually owned however a certain standard of fixstures and furnishings needs to be maintained for a unit to come into or stay in our letting pool.

We have just completed a full audit of rooms and have liaised with owners that if certain areas are not remedied or maintained they will come out of our letting pool unitl it is.

Breakfast I have initiated a daily check by the Management team to ensure that the standard is higher than you mentioned below. I have taken two items off the hot buffet section as they did not present as well as they should and introduced two new items which present much better.

I thank you for your feedback once again and wish you well with your future stays.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Fantastic location and the most stunning views, the cleanliness of my room was also a plus - wouldn't change them for anything, however the room was tired with cracks in the walls, paint peeling off around light switches and fixtures, the blankets were rough and unpleasant. The buffet breakfast was the most disappointing for me. $24 for sloppy scrambled eggs and dry, over cooked bacon (not crispy) that had a tinge of green. Barista coffee is available for purchase (hooray) BUT it isn't done by a barista, therefore the coffee to milk ratio is all out of whack.
Overall I would stay here again if I had a refurbished room, but I would rather make the hike to Cavill Ave for the food.

• Stayed: August 2014
Damian_Sillars, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Good morning KristenMB,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent experience at Mantra Sun City resort.

I appreciate your feedback on the room and that the views and cleanliness were positive; I am disappointed to hear about the cracks and paint peeling, our painter is currently working throught the rooms and I'm sure will get to this with urgency.

Sorry to hear about your breakfast experience; I have taken the liberty of copying the team in to advise of your concerns and have our Management team check on the standard of breakfast presentation on a daily basis; we have also introduced poached eggs with immediate effect to offer an alternative to scrambled eggs which may discolour due to the chaffing dishes.

I will also personally offer training to those making coffees to ensure this experience does not happen again.

I thank you again and hopefully get the chance to welcome you back to Mantra Sun City resort again in the near future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Great big apartment on the 14 floor with great views. Staff so friendly with attention to detail & customer service a priority. Highly recommend this place, perfect location and a bonus with the new tram directly out the front eliminating the need for car hire.
we will defiantly be back.
Only Negative I can mention was the $20 per hour late checkout.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Beau W
Damian_Sillars, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear Beau W,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regarding your recent experience with us.

I'm pleased you enjoyed the property but great to read that our team provided great customer service was, fantastic.

I'm sorry that the late check out fee is in place, this is just ta cost recovery from a housekeeping productivity perspective.

We do look forward to welcoming you back again ini the future.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Although we booked late, the room was extremely overpriced for what it was. While it was a good size, it was very dated and the beds were hard and uncomfortable. They were only made up with a sheet, any blankets we needed we had to get out of the cupboard. The bathroom was a good size however there was only enough hot water for one shower which was disappointing for one of us.
The location was good with a tram stop right outside allowing easy transport anywhere. The lobby and pool area looked impressive however the hall on our level smelled like garbage.
The included buffet breakfast was not great. The cold food looked good however the hot buffet looked like it was recycled from last week.
We have stayed at a few places on the Gold Coast and for this price we will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Damian_Sillars, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Chris L,

I thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent experience at Mantra Sun City resort.

I appreciate your feelings that the room was overpriced as you booked late; as occupancy increases on the Gold Coast we increase our prices based on supply and demand.

I thank you for your feedback on the common areas, pools and tram line; these are all fantastic unique selling pionts for our resort; I do however apologise that you experienced a smell in your hallway, we will rectify this urgently.

I have spoken with my Chef and personally inspected the hot food area of which you have brought to our attention; whilst the food is absolutely not recycled, the presentation of some dishes will be changed with urgency with the introduction of a second choice of eggs.

Once again, we thank you for your contribution.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed off season so we didn't have the crowd's to contend with but still appeared to be a popular place to stay.

Rooms vary in space, style and furnishings. The carpet was fraying in places, the taps needed new washers and the kettle leaked, the microwave was also prone to not working at night (heating baby bottle) and the dishwasher needed a good clean out.

The location was great and the pitstop business across the road had all incidental grocery items at reasonable prices should you need them.

I would stay at Mantra Sun City again however i would inspect the room prior to ensure it's what you're after.

The restaurant was also not open sunday night which ended up being ok as we sourced a fantastic Thai Restaurant with beautiful food and prompt delivery, I recommend Lemongrass Thai Restaurant.

We had a great time with our family and would return at a warmer time of year to make full use of resort facilities and pool's.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank sasandcam
Damian_Sillars, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear sasandcam,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent experience with us.

We're pleased that you enjoyed your stay and would welcome a return visit in the warmer months.

We also appreciate your feedback regarding the local businessess as well as restaurants, it's great for potential consumers to have this feedback.

We do hope to welcome you back again soon.