“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Canberra, Australia
“Fantastic Hotel”
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Local members of our network selected the Watermark for a business meeting in September, and the service was impeccable.

Staff from the hotel were a great help with organising our meeting beforehand; they provided excellent information on our options and stayed in touch throughout the process of getting ourselves organised and running the meeting. Even the two little things that weren't arranged as planned were quickly rectified, and we couldn't ask for more.

The facilities were excellent, both for our meeting and in terms of the accommodation provided for us.

But I think the real standout here was the food. Most of the time catering in these contexts seems to be the most basic of sandwiches or at best a strange kind of buffet, but the options on offer here made me think 'what's the extra charge going to be?'. As it happened, this was included in our original quote, and the choice was much broader than usual. The quality of food provided for our group was impeccable, and it was all prepared fresh and on site both days of our meeting. The breakfast was likewise of a much higher standard than your average hotel.

The beds in the rooms were very comfortable, although I didn't find even a vaguely reasonable pillow among the six on my bed! They were all thin as paper and far too soft. I found myself using a towel to plump them up.

The shower was an interesting affair. With the shower base raised, the rose was in line with my chin, so washing my hair was something of an acrobatic exercise.

Apart from these two gripes, though, this is one of the best hotels I've visited and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
WatermarkGoldCoast, Guest Relations Manager at Watermark Hotel & Spa Gold Coast, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
Thank you for your wonderful feedback and taking the time to post this review. We strive for exceptional service in all areas of the hotel and appreciate your comments about our conference facilities, rooms and catering. We are sorry to hear that you did not like the pillows, but wanted to let you know that our Deluxe and Club rooms have a pillow menu available so there is an option to select one which is suited to your liking. We have noted your comments about the show head internally and this will be investigated further. Once again, thank you for your feedback. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We came to surfers for a romantic weekend away and the watermark sounded perfect - Spa must mean comfort and relaxation. The hotel looks pretty impressive from the outside and in the lobby very high celling’s and nice decor. The rooms were nice, quite small for a king sized deluxe room, but the view of the ocean was beautiful. I got the impression they spent money to modernise the hotel yet forgot about the important things. The bathroom was quite dated and dingy, which I feel makes or breaks your stay - I like I good warm shower when away from home, but the shower was terrible, took ages to wash my hair as very little water came out. The towels we were provided were also terribly scratchy, so thinking we maybe had been given a bad batch we asked to get new ones and they surprisingly gave us blue pool towels, so guessing they're all quite old. Another thing we found strange was that there was no doona cover for our king bed, it was just wrapped in sheets, so was quite annoying to sleep in. Also didn't rate the $29 buffet breakfast, pretty standard for the cost.
I also had a facial at the Spa on level 2. I asked for a facial that would rehydrate my skin, and it was very relaxing, the ambiance was great with mood lighting and peaceful music. My first impression was that the girl wasn't sure what she was doing, which was a bit of a concern when you just paid $150 for this treatment. I've had facial massages before and sadly she missed all the pressure points in the facial massage, she had the technique but applying pressure in the wrong spots. She dropped a few things during the treatment which made me jump, taking me away from the relation. After leaving the spa I realised I never received the mineral mark-up application that was included, so I called them from the lobby and was told that the make-up was optional, yet it didn't say that in the menu and I wasn't asked if I wanted it or not they just assumed which I was a little sneaky. I was also disappointed that the day after the treatment my skin had become dry an flaky so it was clear whatever products she put on my face were not hydrating at all, so I question what training these girls have. With saying that though, all staff were friendly and helpful at the hotel & the spa, but probably not the right hotel for a relaxing weekend away.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelChickey
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Gold Coast - A great location. The hotel is a huge property. Just 5 minutes walking from the Surfer's Paradise. Huge variety in Buffet Breakfast. A tour and Travel Desk will help you for enjoying all the Adventures in the city. Rooms offer a breathtaking view. The staff is very polite and always smiling. A must visit in Gold Coast is INFINITY.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
WatermarkGoldCoast, Guest Relations Manager at Watermark Hotel & Spa Gold Coast, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Thank you kindly for your positive comments. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
montreal
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We stayed there for two night and it was very good. We had two queen beds the bathroom was clean and big. The receptionist and all other staff were very nice and helpful with everything that we needed. We didn't use the hotel pool and Jacuzzi because we didn't stay long enough, but the hotel is a walking distance from the beach!!!! There is everything that you need around the hotel, restaurants, bars, clubs....we did not use any transportation during our stay there. It is also easy to access from Brisbane airport, there is a direct train from the airport to gold coast, it's about an hour an half. than from gold coast train station there is a bus that bring you to the corner of the hotel, very easy.

Room Tip: would command this hotel to everyone. higher level floor give nice view of the city
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your great feedback. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and were happy with the location, room and service. On your next visit, we hope you have the opportunity to use the hotel facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Doncaster East, Australia
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Stayed for 2 nights for a wedding. Definitely will stay again, the reception room was beautiful, and it was handy to be close to our rooms.
We stayed in a king room. The bed was HUGE, and so so comfy!
The buffet breakfast was amazing, so much food, you won't need lunch! They have a chef who will cook any omelette you request!
Parking was limited due to the spaces reserved for valet parking, but if I remember correctly, there was no additional charge for that service.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your comments. We appreciate your feedback and are very happy to hear you had such a fantastic experience. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Reviewed 29 August 2012

From the minute I arrived to the minute I left every staff member went out of their way to make me feel comfortable. Nothing I wanted was too much trouble. The breakfast and dinner in the hotel was of a very high standard. I came up to the Gold Coast for the AFL, I won't be waiting til next year to come back. I'm already planning my return to The Watermark.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We always aim to provide excellent customer service and our staff will be delighted to hear your comments. We look forward to you visiting us again soon.
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Stayed over night in a beautiful king sized bed and it couldn't have been more pleasant!Stayed with my boyfriend and it was absolutely a romantic getaway room in Surfers Paradise. Breakfast buffet the next morning was probably the second best part of the trip! A MUST TRY!

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
WatermarkGoldCoast, Guest Relations Manager at Watermark Hotel & Spa Gold Coast, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
Thank you for your lovely comments and taking the time to post this review. We are delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay and hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.