“Stay away”

Watermark Hotel & Spa Gold Coast
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Staff can really make or break your stay, the first staff member that i came across here just ruined the whole place, and he was on the reception desk, if I could have had a refund on my stay I would have walked away before check-in but as I had booked on wotif.com I couldn't.

Car parking is $15 per night, but you might not get a parking spot as it's a free for all......note to the hotel, only sell the amount of parking that you have spaces for otherwise it's surly fraud....taking money for a service that you can't deliver??

If you are an international traveler be aware that this hotel might not be able to get a pre-auth from your credit card so you then have to pay a cash deposit if you have paid through a booking site!! Crazy stuff, never had it before but my card declined twice on check-in but worked 20mins later when I went an had a meal, the reason I was given at the reception was it was an international credit card......really....when I asked to upgrade to the lounge pass and had to pay them some money amazingly the card worked again so I was able to get my cash deposit back....

The room wasn't bad, looked a little dated, the pool's and spa are great, but one of the pools is overlooked by the lounge service they have.

The w-lounge pass was the best thing about this place but was never sold to me on check-in, I read about it in the room and asked which is a real shame as this is a winner of a deal that I missed out on for half of my stay.

I will never stay at this hotel again due to the service experience that I had on arrival, this really did ruin the whole stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mark W
WatermarkHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Watermark Hotel & Spa Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We’re glad you were able to enjoy the W Lounge and hope you found all the inclusions to be of good value like our other guests do. We are disappointed to hear you had difficulty with the pre-authorisation of your credit card upon check in but glad it eventually worked – we’ll look into that and thanks for the notification. Your check-in experience is disappointing to hear and we have spoken to our Front Office Manager in regards to this to rectify the situation in future. Like most other hotels in the area, we charge $15 for undercover parking but this would have been included free in your W Lounge upgrade. If the car park is full we do offer free valet, and concierge is able to assist with this. It’s a shame to read that you will not stay with us again due to your check-in experience, but we would welcome the opportunity to show you a truer Watermark experience in future.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

From check in to check out the customer service really shone through at this hotel. We were offered early check in as our room was available from noon. Rooms were a very high standard with amazing beach front views. Modern, clean and spacious rooms that were serviced daily by friendly housekeeping staff. Pool towels replenished daily if used. Choice of 2 pools and spas which were fantastic if you had children and did not want them to burn as you could move from one side of the building to the other to avoid full sun. Breakfast in Waves bistro was great and even my fussy kids found something to eat. Parking was included in a secure underground carpark at an extra cost of $15 per day. Internet cost $10 per 24 hrs. Great location and only a few blocks from the beach and Surfers main shopping area.

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Great customer service. .. an unexpected welcome drink at check in added an extra star for me.... reasonably priced clean rooms and good room service. .. very convenient location. Right in front of bus stop and surfers tram stop.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We spent 3 nights in April 2014 in the Presidential suite at the Watermark. High floor. The view is pretty obscured by the Q1 right across the road but we could see the ocean on either side and around the corner we could see to the river. It was a 5 minute walk to a patrolled beach Plenty of restaurants nearby. The suite has a great spa in the bathroom which was plenty big enough for 2. My wife thought she could live in the spa. The suite had a big glassed in area to the side which you could use for entertaining or relaxing and watching the lights at night. The suite came with entry to the executive lounge. It was pleasant having a couple of drinks at night before going out. They served canapes and after the staff realised my wife was a coeliac they prepared gluten free canapes especially for her for the rest of the stay. It was a nice touch. The staff were very friendly. - no complaints there. There was a noise during the night like running water outside, but not bad enough that we complained before we left. We very much enjoyed our stay here and will return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skipcaptain
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel. This time for 2 nights with my son. On arrival the concierge gave us both a nice cold drink which I thought was a good touch! I requested a room on a high floor and had to pay $10 per night more which was ok, although many hotels will not charge for this. (just saying!) The room was very clean, and the beds comfortable. The only issue perhaps for me is that the car park always seems to be full if you get back late in the day and then you have no access to your car. This is an issue for me as we were there for a sporting event and had a lot of stuff in the car it would've been good to be able to access if in the basement. However not a big deal overall and I would recommend this hotel. The location is excellent, a few minutes walk into the heart of Surfers and very friendly staff.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor - fantastic views!
Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank chillibin
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We departed yesterday after 7 nights. The worst hotel beds ever, had to sleep on top of the duvet for comfort, small cramped shabby room for a couple and 1 child, not enough storage. Internet connection only at additional cost, parking only at additional cost, and to top it all off, a rude insulting receptionist on departure, we were disappointed being overcharged for parking too, told we were lucky its onlt $15/night it would be $75 fine to park on the street! Lovely manners for a receptionist, I think not! Should we have asked for a better room? No we should have expected it for 4.5 stars! We were told on arrival we were upgraded I shudder to think what the original room was like. Worst 4 star hotel I have ever stayed in and I have travelled worldwide, max 2-3 star quality. Good point? Perhaps location, we will never return.

5  Thank Mary P
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for our wedding. They were AMAZING! Words can not describe how accomodating they were on top of their already fantastic attitude! They found rooms for all of our wedding guests and were always ready to assist us in any way possible. We will be staying here again!! Can not speak highly enough of these guys!