“This Hotel misses the mark”

Watermark Hotel & Spa Gold Coast
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Sydney, Australia
“This Hotel misses the mark”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We booked the Easter special deal and stayed for 4 nights. Best thing about this Hotel is the Waves Restaurant. Great Buffets for Breakfast and Dinner. Now to the bad side. Bathroom looked Old and in desperate need of a renovation. Room and bed was comfortable enough although I would get rid of that lounge which takes up a part of the room. They have 2 outdoor pools, great but at least 1 of them could be heated as Kids would find that cold temperature uncomfortable. Location is pretty good with easy walking distance to the beach. Overall I'll give it a pass mark and probably wouldn't stay here in future.

Room Tip: Stay in Club rooms if possible.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Rockhampton, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Booking process was very personal and professional, I felt confidant that this would be a great stay. I booked a romance package, I gave my arrival time as we were travelling late, Upon arrival we were unexpectedly greeted in the driveway, as we got out of the car which gave us a fright but the valet parking gentleman was very friendly, just sneaky. We walked into reception, which felt very light and airy and fresh, greeted by my name (from the manager, which was a lovely first impression) and check-in was very smooth and quick, young girl on reception was very friendly and helpful. Up the lift to our room, level 14 which was exactly what I'd asked, high floor, ocean views etc. very happy..

Room smelt fresh and the air on was lovely and cool.

Then, on closer inspection of the room my champagne was sitting in a bucket of water.. Even though we arrived at the time given.. This was not drinkable as it was hot. Not cool, hot. The fridge was off so there were no ice cubes too use, no water jug OR bottled water, which was very disappointing. I'm sure we could have phoned reception too request this but that shouldn't have too happen.

The bath tub was clean, although the grips stuck to the bottom of the bath looked so dirty and full of germs there was no way I was soaking in that bath tub. Grouting had bad mould in places, fantastic water pressure and heat. Everything worked well. Mirror was a little dirty with tooth paste marks but this was overlooked. I think a little more time allocation for cleaning of the bathrooms is needed.

Our king bed was two single beds pushed together - disappointing but this is expected in all hotels nowadays. Pillow selection on the bed was great, a mixture of feather and foam pillows which suited us perfectly. Mattress topper almost disguised the two beds until I found the middle ridge, quiet uncomfortable.

Bath robes certainly not plush, they're crispy and tired.. Too much bleach at the laundry.

We didn't touch the couch as it was filthy and stained, as were the lampshades.. Looked like water damage? Upholstry cleaner definitely needed in that room.

Tv was great, smart tv. Good to see the up keep of technology, also missing in a lot of hotels.

We looked to order breakfast of which was grossly overpriced, $6AUD for an orange juice which would have been fine if it were a 2L bottle (which I highly doubt.) We ate out instead, had breakfast for two which would have equalled the price of one at the hotel.

Check out was simple as we paid when booking (required) we weren't given eye contact or asked how our stay was or if there were any issues needing too be addressed, very disappointing as the employees badge stated he was a 'shift manager' unsure if there was a mix up with the badges.

Car parking was also spacious and safe, at $15 a night that is reasonable for a goldcoast hotel.

Weighing up the positives and negatives we most likely won't return as there are plenty of similar hotels too Choose from. Your experience may be different as everyone has different expectations. I believe the disappointment we experienced could have been easily avoided.

Room Tip: High floor ocean views as their are quite a few hotels blocking the view.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We booked this hotel on an "Easter Special" deal. Ended up being about $230 a night for 3 nights.

We paid the additional amount to have W lounge access.

Firstly - pros.

The check in lady was fantastic. She could see we were super tired and made every effort to be informative, friendly and helpful but also quick! She made it a great experience to check in.

The room was spacious and clean. The bed was very comfortable. Liked the tech touches of being able to charge my phone from the alarm clock!

The location of the hotel is excellent - 5 min wander to Cavill Ave and a multitude of restaurants nearby.

Housekeeping was great and very swift and prompt. We were out in the morning and came back and our room was done which was brilliant.

Cheers to the young concierge who hailed cabs for us and also took a few quick pictures for us. Lovely chap.

Cons:

W Lounge was overpriced. Breakfast was a joke and all day "snacks and drinks" consisted of a few softdrinks and a cheap biscuit. Not thrilled.

The Concierge needed an attitude adjustment (not the young one..the older one) his tone and attitude were appalling. We experienced him being incredibly rude to two separate clients. I appreciate there is some difficulty with car parking but there is no need to be rude about it.

The "Club rooms" really aren't a 4/5 star standard. They are fine don't get me wrong - clean and quite spacious but they are also quite dated and the bathrooms are not up to scratch. The bath had a large stain in it and the showerhead was the kind where you have to run around to get wet. It was also very low so my poor fiance has to do yoga to have a shower!

Overall - I would stay there again however I wouldn't pay the extra. As a hotel it would be a great base to explore surfers and hit the beach but if you are looking for luxury I probably wouldn't bother. I don't think it is value for money.

Room Tip: We had a hinterland view room and the view was beautiful!
1 Thank Keira T
WatermarkHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Watermark Hotel & Spa Gold Coast, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you for such a detailed review. It seems that the pros outweighed the cons during your stay and we are glad you found the rooms clean, spacious and the hotel to be well located. We’ve passed your comments about concierge on to the relevant department as service is one of the great things guests love about the hotel. The W Lounge upgrade usually receives such great feedback as for just $55 per room guests can enjoy access to the lounge, free parking, WiFi, evening drinks and canapés as well as Continental breakfast and refreshments. Thank you again for sharing your comments and if you are visiting Surfers Paradise again, we’d be happy to host you again.
Rushden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Staff can really make or break your stay, the first staff member that i came across here just ruined the whole place, and he was on the reception desk, if I could have had a refund on my stay I would have walked away before check-in but as I had booked on wotif.com I couldn't.

Car parking is $15 per night, but you might not get a parking spot as it's a free for all......note to the hotel, only sell the amount of parking that you have spaces for otherwise it's surly fraud....taking money for a service that you can't deliver??

If you are an international traveler be aware that this hotel might not be able to get a pre-auth from your credit card so you then have to pay a cash deposit if you have paid through a booking site!! Crazy stuff, never had it before but my card declined twice on check-in but worked 20mins later when I went an had a meal, the reason I was given at the reception was it was an international credit card......really....when I asked to upgrade to the lounge pass and had to pay them some money amazingly the card worked again so I was able to get my cash deposit back....

The room wasn't bad, looked a little dated, the pool's and spa are great, but one of the pools is overlooked by the lounge service they have.

The w-lounge pass was the best thing about this place but was never sold to me on check-in, I read about it in the room and asked which is a real shame as this is a winner of a deal that I missed out on for half of my stay.

I will never stay at this hotel again due to the service experience that I had on arrival, this really did ruin the whole stay.

5 Thank Mark W
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We’re glad you were able to enjoy the W Lounge and hope you found all the inclusions to be of good value like our other guests do. We are disappointed to hear you had difficulty with the pre-authorisation of your credit card upon check in but glad it eventually worked – we’ll look into that and thanks for the notification. Your check-in experience is disappointing to hear and we have spoken to our Front Office Manager in regards to this to rectify the situation in future. Like most other hotels in the area, we charge $15 for undercover parking but this would have been included free in your W Lounge upgrade. If the car park is full we do offer free valet, and concierge is able to assist with this. It’s a shame to read that you will not stay with us again due to your check-in experience, but we would welcome the opportunity to show you a truer Watermark experience in future.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

From check in to check out the customer service really shone through at this hotel. We were offered early check in as our room was available from noon. Rooms were a very high standard with amazing beach front views. Modern, clean and spacious rooms that were serviced daily by friendly housekeeping staff. Pool towels replenished daily if used. Choice of 2 pools and spas which were fantastic if you had children and did not want them to burn as you could move from one side of the building to the other to avoid full sun. Breakfast in Waves bistro was great and even my fussy kids found something to eat. Parking was included in a secure underground carpark at an extra cost of $15 per day. Internet cost $10 per 24 hrs. Great location and only a few blocks from the beach and Surfers main shopping area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Sydney
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Great customer service. .. an unexpected welcome drink at check in added an extra star for me.... reasonably priced clean rooms and good room service. .. very convenient location. Right in front of bus stop and surfers tram stop.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Brisbane
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We spent 3 nights in April 2014 in the Presidential suite at the Watermark. High floor. The view is pretty obscured by the Q1 right across the road but we could see the ocean on either side and around the corner we could see to the river. It was a 5 minute walk to a patrolled beach Plenty of restaurants nearby. The suite has a great spa in the bathroom which was plenty big enough for 2. My wife thought she could live in the spa. The suite had a big glassed in area to the side which you could use for entertaining or relaxing and watching the lights at night. The suite came with entry to the executive lounge. It was pleasant having a couple of drinks at night before going out. They served canapes and after the staff realised my wife was a coeliac they prepared gluten free canapes especially for her for the rest of the stay. It was a nice touch. The staff were very friendly. - no complaints there. There was a noise during the night like running water outside, but not bad enough that we complained before we left. We very much enjoyed our stay here and will return.

1 Thank skipcaptain