We booked a 5 night stay for a Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment at the Focus Apartments through the Internet. Before we booked, we had a look at their website and saw the pictures, and they were so modern and flashy. We compared Focus to a few other hotels on the Gold Coast and my children selected Focus on the basis of the fancy and modern pictures. On the booking confirmation it stated features as a private balcony with ocean views, full kitchen and laundry facilities and non smoking. When we entered the room, we saw it was nothing like the pictures. When we tried to change rooms, the staff said that they could do nothing.
Here are the positives and negatives of Focus.
* Good view if you get an apartment facing the sea.
* 10 min walk to Cavill Ave(centre of Surfers Paradise)
* Swimming pool and spa are good
* Staff on arrival are dishonest (Before we arrived, we rang the hotel and we were guaranteed a view.( Also on the booking confirmation with ocean views) but then when we arrived there, the checking staff said she could not not guarantee us a view. We advised her that we rang yesterday and our room was confirmed with a view then we were given room 66 on floor 16. When we requested a room on a higher level, the staff said that no other rooms were available. Then the next day I met a family who had booked a 2 bedroom Superior apartment through the internet, just like us. They checked in on the same day at 7: 15pm, nearly 3 hours later than us, and were given a Superior two bedroom apartment room on the 25th floor, with 2 new bathrooms, bedrooms and kitchen.)
* Room was dirty(we got black feet)
* All curtains were mouldy, and the ones in the main bedroom could not close or open.
* Furniture was dirty, full of sand(so was one of the beds).
* The balcony was not cleaned properly, there was a cigarette pack left there even though we specified a non smoking room.
* There were cockroaches and sand on the beds and moths in the lights
* The shower door in the ensuite could not close fully, so water began spurting out
* Paint was peeling off the top of the ensuite bathroom.
* The bottom of the bath in the other bathroom was dirty and full of black spots.
* Tiles were cracking in the ensuite bathroom.
* The room is only serviced if you stay 8 days or longer
* The room is not like the photos on the website. It was very old, dirty and grubby.
* There was no aircon in our room. There were only two fans in the wardrobe in the second bedroom (but they did not work) and we had to keep opening the doors to keep cool.
* There was a funny smell in the lifts and on the ground floor.
* We booked a two bedroom superior apartment and we got, what we believe was a three bedroom standard apartment( one of the rooms did not have a door.)
Overall. It is a good location with good facilities for families and we would stay if the rooms looked like the pictures on the internet. I would suggest staff/ owner to upgrade the cleaning service to the advertised(4 star) level, do something about the smell on the ground floor and the lift and allocate the room as per the booking to avoid guest disappointment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Focus Apartments is situated at 114 The Esplanade, Surfers Paradise - we're the round, 32 storey, white building that's right opposite the beach. We are within easy walking distance of Cavill Avenue - the hub of Surfers Paradise. With convenient underground parking and intercom security access, Focus welcomes you to the Gold Coast, 365 days a year. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Focus Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Focus Apartments Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast, Australia