“Old and probably 3 star”
Review of Focus Apartments

Focus Apartments
Reviewed 16 November 2012 via mobile

Groupon deal but stayed 6 nights payed for extra nights, staff very friendly, but did book 2 +months ago requested 3 bed apartment with 2 queens each room and 2 singles...didn't get it said was already booked up! Apartment 66 not like photos on website, no air con, they r old and need a good freshen up, 1st day balcony door would not close rather scary... A few of the windows would not Open/broken, Beds not comfy either, but pool and spa were niceLovely BBQ area, great location opp beach.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Nicknjohn1

Reviewed 15 October 2012

We stayed in a 3 bedroom superior apartment and I was not impressed at all. firstly the bedding configuration was in no way suited to a family of 5 and one of my children ended up sleeping on the floor on a mattress. The TV was broken. The electric frypan was coated in a disgusting fatty layer.
Each concern raised with reception was brushed off.
It was not terribly clean either and even though we stayed for a week, it wasnt serviced at anytime.
I would definitely not stay there again. I think there is better value to be had elsewhere

Room Tip: There is a nightclub and an amusement park very closeby so I would recommend being on a higher level...
3  Thank Unhappy F
FocusAp, Guest Relations Manager at Focus Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Thank you Carolyn for your review. We do not guarantee bedding configuration but there was bedding supplied for 6 people being 2 queen & 2 single beds. The receptionist has told me you used a single mattress from your friends apartment which was returned on departure.
We have noted your comments about the frying pan and replaced it.
We were unaware that there was a problem with the TV but rectified it as soon as humanly possible.
Thank you once again for your feedback.
Pam

Reviewed 10 October 2012 via mobile

I don't think focus apartment should have a four star rating I stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment one of their best rooms I presume.. When I first arrived into my motel I was greeted with a bad smelling apartment that had just being cleaned while I was checking in could not smell any cleaning products used the windows are all dirty in and out fair enough the out but the in is not on the kitchen was less then satisfactory the bench had a wipe over the top but not the underneath the grime under there is disgusting.. The cooking equipment supplied is not washed properly the dish washing liquid they supplied was enough to do two lots of dishes they have a dishwasher but no powder for it.. The dining table is a refurbished table.. The lounge needs a clean badly the toilet suites are stained the air conditioning machines are rusted to the poo house I'm to scared to use them the built in cupboards are all dirty and dusty dirt on the ground could have being vacuumed they obviously just do a quick clean and change of bed sheets I had to vacuum and mop my verandah so I could put my clothes on the aired out there I would not be complaining so much if it did not have a rating of 4 star this is lucky to be 2 star to top it all off I just paid $1.50 for a roll of 2ply sandpaper toilet roll I advise not to stay here if you are looking for 2 star this is your place but 4 star no way... The pool area isn't so great either the pictures on the Internet look beautiful they are wrong the place is run down and dirty I hope yous improve your service and apartments or give it a lower star rating it's false advertisement

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Channynmatty

Thank you for your comments Ifthika. I inspected the apartment with you on the day of your complaint and found no odour present nor did you complain to me regarding cleanliness issues although I did point out that you had broken a glass which was shattered and left under the dining chair. The lounge suite is a new leather suite as are all the beds and the air conditioning unit is less than 12 months old. We provide a normal size bottle of dishwashing powder and dishwashing liquid in each apartment and a spare roll of toilet paper in the bottom of the vanities. Our pool area and bbq facilities are very popular with our guests. As regards the AAA rating, we are not self rated but rated by AAA Tourism annually and they decide what star rating we receive. The apartment was on a high floor with ocean views from every room and is a very popular choice with our regulars and we have never had a complaint about it. Hopefully you found alternative accommodation and enjoyed the remainder of your holiday.

Reviewed 4 October 2012

This was our third visit. I have tried to price other apartments but none come close to what you pay at the Focus for a three bedroom apartment. The thing I like most are the grounds. My kids spent the day downstairs, swimming in the pool, relaxing in the spa, working out in the gym, playing table tennis, having a hit of tennis and shooting some baskets. You can choose to laze in the deckchairs, or at night enjoy the BBQ's. With all the attractions, the beach across the road, sometimes it's just easier staying in your own backyard and creating your own fun.

The room, depending on which room are getting dated, the doors and windows have copped a beating from the exposure to the salt, but still, if that's the only gripe, when you realise the age of the building then its not really a gripe. Everything inside is of good quality and feels like home. I will keep coming back because the price is right, the facilities are great and it's value for money. Oh yeah, the staff are knowledgable, helpful and friendly. Thanks again Focus and see you again soon.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Mark E
FocusAp, Manager at Focus Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Thank you Mark for your lovely comments! You are always a pleasure to have here!
You are correct - the doors and windows do cop a beating from the sea air and we are currently doing maintenance on all those that need work. We are constantly doing upgrades on our appartments to keep them to the high standard you expect.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 21 September 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom ocean view apartment on a high floor. View was amazing and the apartments are quite spacious. The building is a little old now but still kept in good nick and the rooms were very clean. Has a little toddler pool under shade cloth which was great for the young kids. It's a couple of blocks away from Cavill Ave but definately still within walking distance. Made it a bit quiter at night which was good. Beach out front is fantastic and patrolled which is also good. Staff were very helpful and would recommend without hesitation.

Room Tip: Request a beach front room if available.
2  Thank Backers
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We stayed here recently and rented 2x 2 bedroom apartments. I know the rooms are dated, but ours was really dated - tired lounge, bed covers, curtains. I think it is a lottery what type of room you get as my parents room seemed a bit more updated and supplied little extras like a hairdryer and a double bed in the other room. The rooms are large and I recommend the ocean view. Take advice from this site as to which number room to rent; 84 was much nicer than 53.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
FocusAp, Manager at Focus Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Thank you Simon for your comments. You are right - the ocean views are amazing! Room preference is a very personal opinion as many guests really love Unit 53 and ask for it time and time again! Hairdryers are standard in all of our apartments and there was one located in the main bathroom. The bedding configuration varies and we try to accommodate all requests.
I hope that we are able to welcome you back to Focus one day soon!

Reviewed 12 September 2012

We stayed here after purchasing a travelfactory.com.au voucher for a 3 bedroom standard apartment for 6 nights. We were in room 14 on level 3 and absoulutely loved our stay, each of the rooms have its own balcony over looking the beach and the lounge and kitchen is huge with leather lazy boys and a 6 seater dining table. Overall this was great value for money,ended up costing 6 of us $170NZD each for the week, the pool was nice, played a game of tennis and it is very close to Cavill Ave and the night life!
Two down sides i can think of is:
-The floor did not seem to be vacuumed, it was very sandy.
-One of the beds in the second room was held up by phonebooks.
I stayed in the master bedroom which had its own ensuite, flat screen tv and large wardrobe. The staff were very nice, even organised a carpark for us when our apartment did not have an allocated park. We also received champagne and chocolates on arrival! :) Would recommend to all!

Room Tip: Opt for a ocean view room :)
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your lovely review! That was an amazingly good deal and we had a lot of very happy guests! We agree - the outlook from those aparments is amazing!
Make sure to visit us again next year and call us for a return guest special!