“Not quite what I expected but still nice”

Moorings on Cavill Avenue
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed here a few months ago adter reading all the reviews and that this place had won top choice awards.
I honestly expected something amazing with the pictures and my friends and I had high expectations but a little let down. I'm not one to complain about trivial things but my friends were constantly in my ear about the place. We stayed for a week and after the first night, they wanted to leave.
The place was a bit run down and had oldish furniture. The couch leather had completely peeled (would explain why a rug was placed over it to sit on). The TV and austar box kept stuffing up and was pretty tiny for the room size.
There were ants everywhere on the first night (we hadn't eaten and food or drink in the apartment as we went out for dinner) and the next morning, even more! I dont mind a few but it started to get a bit much, my friends were whining the entire time as more appeared.
The view was lovely over the river and up north. We were only on a low level so not a sky-high view. Bit of a downside with party cruise dock right outside the window and they were pretty noisy (close balcony door and was all good).
The staff were great, a little over friendly for my liking (asking us where we were going each time we went out and came back) but I do understand some people like that attention.
The pool was lovely and warm, the spa also.
The second bedroom was meant to have a queen/zip bed but two singles were in there. And no light ??? Just a lamp on one side of the room. So couldnt really see at night which was odd.
Attempted to use the vacuum to clean up the dead ants next day but appears people before us used the washing machine and the entire laundry floor was soaked, including the bottom of the vacuum cleaner so it left a great big mess of fluff along the floor and streaks.

Overall I'd say a great place for families but definitely not business/professional couples or adults looking for something to match the high rating.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank herefishyfishy123

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Pros -

Staff : - Friendly and very helpful staff.

Location: - Excellent location. Supermarket (Woolworths) its directly opposite the apartment. its 5-10 mins walking distance to Surfer Paradise beach.

View : - Love the view.

Tour package offered by Mooring : - They offers reasonable rates for theme parks and activities tickets.

Con
The car park seems looks like a run down warehouse.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Magwill03
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I spent five nights at the Moorings. I was given an apartment at level 14, which has an amazing view of the river. The room is clean and it has everything that I need, including washing machine and dryer. It takes less 10minutes walk to the surfer paradise beach and shops. There is a Woolworth at the building right opposite Moorings, which making it really convenient if you are intend to do your own cooking. I would definitely go back again.

1  Thank Gonzales28
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Pros - very nice apartment and well maintained
Management very friendly and helpful
Fantastic location right in the centre of Surfers Paradise with supermarkets across the road, an abundance of restaurants and the beautiful beaches only 10 minutes walk

Cons - Found it noisy with sirens, drunks and general traffic noise. Owner should consider fitting double glazing.
Slightly peeved at signs that we must leave apartment fully cleaned with all dishes washed and put away etc or would be charged an additional fee. Thought this was harsh as it wasn't a budget apartment and I felt I had to clean and Hoover before I left :-(

Room Tip: Very well run. Get as high a floor as possible to lessen noise
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ScotlassHongKong
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I stayed at this apartment for four days three nights, when I stepped into the room, I found it so surprise, the decoration of the apartment is so nice, I would like to stay at the apartment for dinner every night, as it just likes having dinner at a high class restaurant. I would definitely come back again.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank May C
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Stayed at Mooring with a group of friends in a two bedroom apartment. The apartment was the perfect size, lots of space, renovated modernly with a great view overlooking the RIVER. Great location, walking distance to shops, restaurants and beach. Hotel facilities also of a very high standard, modern pool and BBQ area. Would definitely recommend to friends!

1  Thank georgie s
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The apartment we got was a two bedroom, two bathroom unit.
Living room was huge, kitchen was also big and laundry room came in handy.
The heated pool and jacuzzi was great, we also used one of bbq grills next to the pool.
Everything was about a five minute walk and Margaret was very helpful with booking tours.

Will keep this place in mind next visit.