“Staff need lessons in customer service”

Silverton Holiday Apartments
Murrumba Downs, Australia
“Staff need lessons in customer service”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I also found the staff very uninterested in helping, when I found them at all. I was there for four days on business so there was no-one at reception when I left in the mornings nor when I got home most days. I did ask a couple of times, in my initial email and at the desk one morning, and to be sure, I left a message to ask if they could organise a shuttle bus to the airport on my departure, all of which were ignored. When I got to the desk at the time I'd requested the shuttle bus, they did ring a taxi for me which would have cost $200 to get to the Brisbane airport, so luckily I had lots of time and the cab driver took me to the train station to catch the airport train.
I simply loved the room (18) which was on the third floor and overlooked the river, so lovely views. Very comfortable king size bed which was lovely to come home to after a big day. Shower only, no bath. Unfortunately, because the staff cost me such a lot by not organising the shuttle bus, they have lost my next booking in 2 weeks time. They have a really nice swimming pool/spa area and georgous bbq area on the riverbank. They also have a tennis court and very small gym for guest use. Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to use any of their facilities. They are within a few short blocks of the main beach at Surfers Paradise, which I walked every day. The number and variety of restaurants in the area was amazing. Loved being so close to the heart of the Gold Coast.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank angeltheatre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed at the Silverton in 2009 and it was a pleasant stay all up. We had 2 lovely apartments that were spacious and well furnished as well as clean.
This time round (april 2012) it was not as nice.
Management has changed and so has the customer service and hotel standards.
The kitchen was quite dirty so I literally had to scrub anything before I used it. The flooring was dirty as was the kitchen table.
The ensuite was awkward. I kept getting stuck inside as there was no handle on the inside to let yourself out.
The beds were quite comfortable, and the rooms were spacious.
The car park was a bit squashy but it was ok once u got used to it.
The staff at reception were rude and ignorant.
We stood waiting to pay our account and all 3 staff members chatted amongst themselves in another language and totally ignored us for a good 7 or so mins. This was inappropriate and bad customer service.
Little did they know we understood everything they were saying.
We definitely wont be going back if thats how they treat customers.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank goudi
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Well thought I had seen it all but this takes the biscuit.Photos were taken when this place was new and not a cent spent on the place since. Dirty and scruffy ,burnt work tops, missing shelves in fridge,filthy carpets, broken dryer....all in all a rip off. Games room smells of damp and I broken ping pong ball,10 bucks to play tennis. Guy on front hates people so be warned.don't do it !!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lollypopwat

Travellers are raving about these Surfers Paradise hotels

melbourne
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Silverton offers value for money . My wife and i stay here every year. U have designated secure underground parking with ample space 2 move around. Other places charge u more for parking and many dont have designated parking so its 1st come 1st serve basis and i found by experience many are a tight squeeze to manouver around not here. U have a clean bbq area full size tennis court and even offers a private jetty where u can fish off if u so desire. Rooms are spacious full kitchen and laundry. All have balconies. The staff are all helpful and non intrusive. Its not a 5 star and it dont profess to be and for what u get 4 your money it beats other places ive stayed in hands down.

Room Tip: with the construction work going on id recommend the river view rooms
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kris p
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 June 2012

I had low expectations about this place after reading mostly negative reviews. I'm pleased to say that those low expectations were surpassed - but not by a huge margin.
The pros:
- great panoramic view of the city is you are on a high enough floor.
- quiet
- staff were friendly and helpful
- spacious rooms
- good price
The cons:
- the major for me: false advertising showing "sample" pics of their rooms on website. The room we stayed in was old looking and could do with a bit of a touch up.
- kitchen pots and pans were also old and grotty (luckily I ate out most nights) and the oven ventilator was broken so the room smoked up badly when I did my breakfast fry-ups.

All in all it was okay. good value for the price but I would only stay here again if there was nothing else that was around the same price range.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank funkee500
South Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 2 May 2012

THIS PLACE RUINED MY 21ST
I Stayed here this weekend just gone (floor 9 room 52), my parents bought me and my partner a stay down the coast for my 21st, I have to say even though it rained the whole time and i couldn't do all I wanted the main disappointment for me was my accommodation, NEVER have I stayed in a place so dirty!! I feel its safe to say Silverton Apartments ruined my birthday weekend, I couldnt stay in my room and enjoy being with my partner on the rainy days as it was dirty and uncomfortable. The carpet was foul, dishes were dirty nothing was clean the bathrooms especially! The couch was so bad we had to bring the mattress off the bed into the lounge and put it on the floor! And my Dryer didn't work, I rang reception was told I would get a call back and after 4 calls to reception I still never received a call back so had to bring wet clothes home as they wouldn't dry in the rainy weather! I am ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED in this place DO NOT STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor DONT stay here
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jaymie Louise H
Cologne
Reviewed 2 May 2012

We stayed in two different appartments. The first one was acceptable for the price we paid (60 AUD if you book early ahead). It had a big TV, a new bathroom and a comfortable bed. But all the other things were much older and not very clean. The appartment had a strange smell.

When we had to stay in Surfers Paradise for two more days and extended our stay we had to change to another (two bedroom) appartment. We agreed without inspecting it, which was a terrible mistake. When we entered the second apartment we wanted to leave straight away. Everything was broken and dirty. Lipstick on glassas, food in cooking pots, holes in couches, and the toilet water ran over my feet (hole in pipe) when flushing.

It was pretty easy to find the bedroom, you just had to follow the dirty path in the carpet. The bed was the worst bed we have EVER slept in!!!! It must have been 20 years old and just saggy. A hammock would have been much more comfortable. And the noise from the street didn't make us feel better. The children's bedroom (which we fortunately didn't have to use) was just horrible and had a broken lamp and fan.

When we made our laundry we could watch the foam coming out of the washing machine.
Even a small cockroach made her way to this high floor.

When checking out we were blamed to have broken the toilet pipe. This was when I got really angry. We didn't complain about anything before because we just didn't know where to start!

In sum the first apartment where we stayed was ok for the price we paid but the second one was the most disgusting place I've ever stayed at.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple