“Very quiet & very comfortable, but room internet is very expensive.”

Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Oztraylya
“Very quiet & very comfortable, but room internet is very expensive.”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Check in was fast and efficient; the staff friendly. The Crowne has a je ne sais quoi, and is a favourite of mine.
We were part of a large group and they upgraded us to a King room with ocean view on the tenth. It was large and very comfortable. The Crowne is of a considerable age, formerly being the Parkroyal, but she seems to be weathering the years well, if our room was typical of the others. The organising of things for our convention was very satisfactory and the Crowne is well designed to this end. Sleep quality was great; parking is free; breakfast is only your average buffet type, and the hotel is bettered by others for location.
Sadly, I can’t let the issue of internet charges at the Crowne Plaza go unmentioned. It would seem that the management here is happy to be named as another member of the ‘Internet Hit Squad’. To be fair WiFi is free in the lobby but they gouge for the provision of cable in the rooms. Some top end hotels seem to be getting the message these days, but not here and not good enough I’m afraid.
Come on Crowne, you owe it to your customers to get fair dinkum with your internet charges.

Room Tip: A higher floor room on the ocean side has great views of Surfers Paradise.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Victoria T, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Hello TuckerFiend,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback. Glad to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that we were able to upgrade you on your stay.

Thank yu for your feedback in regards to the internet, I shall pass this along to the relevant department.

Kind regards,

Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We booked this hotel from a mystery deal online. We were pleasantly surprised with the room. It was very spacious, comfortable and clean. The bathroom is huge with a corner spa and separate shower. Great balcony with ocean views. We had a lovely romantic weekend away and would definitely recommend Crowne Plaza Gold Towers!

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank AussiePos
Victoria T, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 6 October 2014
Hello AussiePos,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your review.

So glad that you enjoyed your time with us in the Gold tower.

Best wishes,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza at Surfers Paradise with our whole team. From the check in process to the check out process, from breakfast until after dinner drinks, the whole stay was more than expected. The food was great, the service was great and the venue was in great condition.

Room Tip: Sign up to the membership for free wifi
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Victoria T, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Hello Adam L,

Thank you for your review after your recent work conference here at the hotel. So glad that were were able to provide such a seamless stay for you whilst travelling for work.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your review.

Kind regards,

Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

this is a great mid range hotel. staff were very professional and helpful and foyer is really nicely presented. the pool area looked great (I didnt get a chance to use it) there is also a gym etc. the room itself was really good. in fact the shower was AWESOME. huge and hot with such good pressure. we had two double beds and a great view. only tiny balcony but that didnt matter. we went and had a drink in the little bar which is attached to the hotel, it's just average, but still good to have that option there. we ended up driving to go out to dinner as there wasnt much in walking distance. but it wasnt far to get anywhere either. i would definantly stay here again.

Room Tip: get one facing the water not the highway :)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Kazpotato78,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us, as well as other travellers, with your review of our hotel.

Best wishes,

Gold Coast
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Wow it's true what they say people make the place the staff here at the crown are some of the most friendly helpful polite eager and well mannered staff i have ever come across fantastic customer service well done crown you have hired an extraordinary calibre of customer focused team members.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Victoria T, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Hi saascha K,

Thank you for your kind words of our staff and our service, it is very much appreciated.

We are grateful of you taking the time to let other travelers know as well.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Crowne Plaza needs to keep up with what's happening all around the Gold Coast. There are lots of options, and frankly, many exceed what's on offer here. There's no "buzz" within the precinct, and it needs to be brought up to what Crowne Plaza offer in other countries. For a business conference, it provided the basics. Restaurant options are limited, and admittedly, I didn't get to visit the "world class seafood buffet" on offer in the revolving restaurant. Barely comfortable room, and I'm always disturbed by the ashtray on the balcony. Do we have to look after those who pollute other rooms by having a smoke nearby?

Room Tip: Book on a higher floor for possible ocean view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Victoria T, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear GeraldQ

Thank you for your review. I would like to confirm that we are in the process of identifying upgrade requirements for the property. The team and I hope that you can try one of our 3 restaurant & bar outlets at the hotel on your next visit - understand that whilst on conference, it can be hard to get away and enjoy a meal.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Ian Pirodon
Singapore
Reviewed 20 July 2014

In my 20 years of business and leisure travel in my adult life, I have never come across a hotel this appalling. Arriving early after a long haul red eye flight, I was told check in was 2 pm. No doubt the hotel is free to set its check in time, I did not expect the cold and sullen way I was treated. They are in the HOSPITALITY industry - didn't they know how to upsell or make guests feel welcome???!!!!! I was told they would ring me when my room is ready. Meanwhile, with 5 hours to wait, I asked where in the hotel I could have breakfast and rest. The prompt snap back:''your room rate does not include breakfast''. WHO is asking for free breakfast?! When I asked for wifi password, the reply was, ''you need to go to safari to do a few things, internet is free at the lobby''. How helfpul is that?! All this while the reception was not busy at all; in any case, busy or not, it was not the way to treat guests.

Later I'd asked for assistance to get me a room sooner than 2 pm and all they could repeat ad nauseum was, ''checkin is at 2pm''. It was then that I told them I don't mind a room that's not in the Gold Tower - any room would do. In fact, when I'd writen to book months ago, I was told that only Gold Tower rooms were avaialble. (I'd later found out this was not true - when I'd checked online, the main tower rooms were available and at much lower rate than the supposed ''marathoner's special rate''!!!!!!). I'd since written to the GM to complain about the rude, insulting and appalling treatment I received from their ironically named, ''loyalty champion'' at the front desk. As expected, to-date, I've yet to receive a reply.

For a 4 - 5 star hotel from IHG, I could not believe the housekeeping could be so slipshod and substandard. Even an average hotel in Myanmar and China could do better: there was no soap dish, no replacement of tissue paper, no replacement of amenities, unless I requested. The amenities were strewn all over the towel, rather than neatly laid out in a basket or tray. Likewise the minibar snacks - strewn all over the table, rathan placed in an attactive manner on a tray or basket. In-room dining options were pathetic and when I ordered a soup that was supposed to come with bread, the presentation was like that of a school canteen, or army barracks.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank LuoCJ
Victoria T, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear LuoCJ,

Warm greetings from Surfers Paradise.

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us on Trip Advisor. It is vital to our continued success to know when we have fallen short of meeting our own high standards. I was very disappointed to read that your recent hotel arrival experience was not reflective of the warm, friendly service that we are so well known for.

LuoCJ please be assured that I have shared your comments with my Front Office team in addition to our Food and Beverage teams. I am pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate you with a early check-in. I do note that you were staying with us over the Gold Coast Airport Marathon Weekend, as the official accommodation provider for the marathon we did run at a high occupancy. Often during periods of high occupancy our ability to offer an early check-in is impacted, however I understand that the team were able to assist.

I do hope that when planning your travel for the 2015 Gold Coast Airport Marathon you will afford my team and I the opportunity to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise. Please contact me directly here at the hotel (christopher.stokoe@ihg.com), it would be my pleasure to personally handle your next reservation with us. I will ensure that you are well looked after and that your stay is memorable for all the right reasons.

Warm regards,

#11 of 31 in Surfers Paradise
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
#1 of 21 in Broadbeach

Been to Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise? Share your experiences!