“Wicked Hostel! Super social and well maintained”

Surf N Sun Beachside Backpackers
Reviewed 23 February 2011

I found this Hostel as I was walking around surfers after being disappointed with the current hostel i was staying at. Right when I walked into reception I knew I wanted to stay here. The staff were very friendly and helpful and there was tons of information about different things to do around the area. I ended up staying for 2 weeks because it was that much fun. Every night there is a different event that you get free cover and a free drink in the bar. The patio tables are a great spot to meet others and play card games etc.
The hostel is also well maintained and cleaned every morning.
Definitely stay here when you are in Surfers...
Oh and the location is PERFECT! Literally 1 minute walk to the beach and about 5 minutes to the centre of town.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 December 2010

At first this hostel seems like a fun and friendly place. The friendliness of fellow travelers and the party atmosphere initially made me overlook the hostel's flaws - cockroaches, leaking toilets, dirty mattresses, worn out sheets, worn out kitchen ware, ridiculously hot rooms, etc. The common room and kitchen are both closed by 10pm so past that time there is nothing to do except sit in your room - very inconsiderate policy for those who do not like to go out and party every single night. Moreover, the hostel does not organize any sort of free activities beside bar entry. Finally, the internet is completely over priced. The staff in the hostel were very kind and wanted to help with whatever problems you may have, however most of the problems I had came from the hostel's owner or management. They were absolutely unwilling to accommodate your needs or help you out. It really felt like they were completely unsympathetic. I stayed in this hostel for over a month and spent over $1000 and received absolutely no help with regards to circumstances that I could not change. This hostel was absolutely not worth the $32/night and knowing what I know now I would most definitely have chosen somewhere else to stay. In conclusion, I would say that the hostel management's absolute only concern is to make money and that is apparent in the poor conditions of the rooms and the way guests are treated.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank VictoriaTravels6
Reviewed 16 October 2009

I stayed for 2 nights at Surf n Sun and they were very accomodating. Staff on the reception were so friendly and made me feel so welcome. It felt like a home away from home! The rooms are large and extremely good value for money. It is only a short walk from town so you dont have al the noise but still so close to the beach. I will definitely go back soon.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank JenV_9
Reviewed 27 September 2009

I stayed at this place for 3 nights as it was my birthday on the first night and surfers paradise sounded like a place to celebrate it. I went out on my birthday, had a good time but the next morning when i awoke i had about 5-6 lumps on my left arm which worried me a bit but i figured i had just been bitten by some bug the day before. The next morning i had more and they started to become itchy. I left the next day to go to someones house from couchsurfers.com because i was starting to run out of money. After staying there for a couple of days i had over 30 bites including my face and i was itching all over. I had to go to the doctors and he said it was def bed bugs. It's starting to clear up now after he prescribed me some tablets to take and some cream to dull the itching. But obviously that cost me money and i have had to wash all my clothes twice in a high heat and fumigate my bag. It's an experience i wouldn't wish on anyone so i would recommend you stay away from that hostel. The night life there and the people who run it are a laugh but actually sleeping in there and eating in there i would stay away from.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank chris26diwell
Reviewed 24 February 2009

Had a depressing night in the sun n surf..our room was dirty and really basic. The people in the room coughed all night aswell so me and two friends were lucky to get out of there alive really. The bathroom was really small and not somewhere you wanted to stay in too long. The kitchen was fairly dirty there, although the staff did make a nice meal for us. Only go here if you want to party with a younger immature crowd.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank travelbirdLondon
Reviewed 27 July 2008

stayed there for 4 nights and loved it!
room was clean as was the en suite toilet and kitchen area
every1 gets a tour upon arrival which makes you feel really welcome
staff were great and make you feel at home and were really knowledgeable about trips etc and everything the reccomended us to do was great!
good communal area but a bit of pain it closes at 10pm, this is meant to be an attempt to get you to go on the hostels pub crawls etc
we went on one of these which is a bit of a benidorm type trip but was a good night nevertheless
location is slightly outiside the centre of town but its a 5-10 minute walk which is nothing at all really
loved this place and it really was one of the best places i stayed in oz!

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank gholms
Reviewed 11 July 2008

When I stayed this hostel,it is rain and this kithhen is the leaky roof.
this kithen knife is a dull and kithen is dirty.
a lot of cockroach is in the kithen and in the room.
I payed a week in the morning,but I couldn't enter here untill 2pm, so i went out and come back here,but this reception clerk forgot it and said you need to pay the money.i explained that i already payed it,but she didn't apologized me.
when I went out my room in the night,someone sleeped my bed room,and this staff took off my bag in the shed twice.
I won't stay this hostel again!!!!!!
I really get angry this staff.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank kenkentama