“"Relax and enjoy the ride!"”

More attraction details
Owner description: We specialize in Private and Group Lessons, at The Spit. We also conduct Stand Up Paddling (SUP) and SUP Tai Chi (an exclusive program), opposite Bumbles, Budds beach, Surfers Paradise.
Gold Coast, Australia
“"Relax and enjoy the ride!"”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Brad has the best approach when it comes to learning to surf! So many coaches focus on fast results which soon creates a frustrating and less enjoyable experience. If you want to truly take up surfing Brad will teach all the aspects of surfing like understanding and respecting the ocean, proper mindset and of course the basics of riding a wave. After 1 lesson I was left wanting more of the ocean and surfing and will be definitely having more lessons from him in the future! Amazing work, Thanks Brad!!

Visited July 2014
Brad H, Owner at Brad Holmes Surf Coaching, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Thank you kindly for your review.
I'm glad you enjoyed the ride!
Looking forward to seeing you again.

Ales, France
“A very funny afternoon !”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

A realy good moment with Brad to learn to surf. Good explanations and a lot of fun ! Thanks Brad :-)
Allan & Justine

Visited August 2014
Thank you kindly for your review.
I'm glad you enjoyed the afternoon, and experience!
Looking forward to seeing you again!

Edmonton, Canada
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Trustworthy person, good coach”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

A good, pleasant, "respect the sea" kind of guy. Book multiple lessons as one won't be enough.

Really like his take on teaching beginners like making you "bodyboard" when blind etc.

Shame you have to (like with so many other surf places) call to book a lesson.

Visited May 2014
Brad H, Owner at Brad Holmes Surf Coaching, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Hi,
Thank you for taking the time out to write, and post a review.

I do appreciate that alone.

Thank you also for your positive comments.

Please call to book another session - of Fun!

Monchengladbach, Germany
3 attraction reviews
“A unique and efficient approach with a great coach!”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I wanted to take only 1 or 2 lessons and ended up doing 4. Brad is a fantastic coach with a very unique approach... I have worked with surf coaches before and mostly they are focused on achieving quick results. That's nice for the beginning (and Brad will get you there as well), but there is more to surfing than just standing up on the board. Brad's approach helps you understand the board, yourself and most importantly the water much much better, which did wonders for me. I'd go back to Brad in a heartbeat, because of all the surf trainings I did, this one has definitely given me the most. Thanks, Brad.

Visited May 2014
Thank you kindly for the review.
I'm glad you liked my approach of teaching.
As much as possible, I tailor your sessions to your personal needs and wants.
Looking forward to seeing you again.

Brisbane, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Great fun but snobbish and unfriendly instructor, go elsewhere.”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We rang up and reserved our place for a lesson and Brad said there is vacancy at ..... pm, I then asked if there was another available time slot. He curtly replied: I will let you know when I can do the lesson. This was the 1st initial phone call and very unwelcoming to say the least.. he was on the border line of being obnoxious.

The day arrived, it was not hard to find the beach or the instructor. We had to fill in paperwork for legal reasons etc. Many other instructors of different activities would usually take this time to make small talk with their students to gain rapport. Brad asked what country I was from and usually I would make it a fun thing for some one just to have a guess, another way to generate small talk or conversation to start a class... but he curtly replied: it's ok.. there is no need for me to guess.. this was said with a smug look and that he expected me to just voluntarily say what country I was from..... as I was in his class and having him for the next 90 mins as my instructor, I didn't want to create any unhappiness between us so I just said where I came from... to which he promptly replied a few words in chinese..... and then he went on about what languages he could speak... in the whole time... he kept using the same mandarin words again and again.. Sorry .. but for someone to say that they are able to speak a language, they MUST be able to hold a conversation rather than just be able to utter a few words randomly.. afterall , if he interacts with tourists all the time, he would have picked up words such as hello, thank you, no problem in different languages...

Back to the teaching method... we started when the whole group arrived and he started to tell us about how this activity came about... and then he dived into what he can do... he is a master of tai chi... he has this cert, that cert, he is a master of this and a master of that etc.... how much boasting can one man go on and on at the start of a lesson? the women in the class just rolled their eyes ! Only an insecure person would need to validate himself to others that much!

After that, we did a little Tai Chi and then off to the water we went... after the initial 5 minute lesson on where to bend your knees, how to paddle etc, you are off on your own. He never once came to paddle with us, he just sat there under the tree, in the shade, there was no interaction between the instructor and the students for till about 20 mins before finishing time... at which brad said that he will come and paddle with us for the last bit but then he just wandered off and by the last 5 mins, he was back with us holding a camera for our photos.

All in all, you are paying for the initial 5 minute lesson, the rental of the board and paddle, plus if you are to listen to someone talking about how great he is and has an attitude... there are a few other instructors that we have tried and they are certainly a lot more hands on with us and friendlier too. By the end of the lesson, all of us just wanted to get out of there rather than hear him talk more about himself and trying to let us know that if we wanted to host a company function or a party, he can do more for us or cater to our needs...

If you get to do this lesson on a deal, go for it... otherwise, save your ears.. blowing your own trumpet just shows how insecure Brad is with himself.. Pathetic!

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Madabtcars
Brad H, Owner at Brad Holmes Surf Coaching, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Hi,
I do opologise that you thought I was snobbish and unfriendly.
I honestly don't know how or why this came about - no one has accused me of being this way.
If you would like to personally call, and discus the matter, I'm open and aimable to do so.

Certainly, I don't want you going away with a bad experience.

As I may have mentioned to you, and the other students: " All I want to do for you, is have fun, and learn some new skills."

You did mention - that you had fun.

If you would liek to come back in the future, and try the activity again, please call me.

Sincirely,