Arrived a few hours before check-in and the delightful Margaret on reception not only allowed us access but upgraded us to an ocean view. She escorted us to our 2 bedroom unit & first impressions were "wow". Views to die for, spacious and well appointed. Unfortunately first impressions can be deceptive .
The apartment we stayed in had the potential to be 5 star except for the cleanliness and basic maintenance. First night we spilled red wine on the kitchen tiles so used (our own) paper towels to clean it up. The floor was just disgusting. Then the bathroom - looking into the shower over the bath it looked clean BUT once inside, the black mould and gunge when you closed the door was just nasty. We had to move lugs in cupboards to ensure we had shelves that weren't lopsided and even rehung part of the curtain in the lounge which was falling down. As for the worn pair of knickers & socks in one of the drawers - just how long had they been there?
Then there's the security chain on the front door - how unfortunate there's nothing to secure it to! So you snib the door and hope for the best. And of course the jug - obviously had been leaking for some time given the discolouration on the base and wetness on the bench. Surely housekeeping should have noticed this and replaced it?. (Wasn't a problem at all to get replaced). Having organised an additional hour for checkout, we got a (very polite) call at 10.20am to ask if we'd organised one - surely they are operating on a computerised system where this can be recorded? It negates the goodwill generated by the additional hour.
Lighting in the bathroom was poor - so poor during the day you couldn't tell if it was on or not. Luckily there's a huge mirror in the dining area where one could do their makeup. Bedside lamp in the second room had a faulty switch and kept flickering - which of course you didn't recall until bedtime when it was too late to do anything about it. There was more - but all so avoidable and inexpensive to fix.
In all fairness, every single member of staff we came into contact with was lovely - which, coupled with the central location is the reason I don't score this as poor. Better inspections need to bee made of units to ensure housekeeping are doing their job properly and basic maintenance is undertaken. Am presuming units were being upgraded by the noise (always during daytime hours and didn't start too early, so not an issue at all) so worth another shot.
Hint - if you're on a budget, don't hesitate to use the bus from the airport. Get off at Markham Ave stop, walk about 250m to Clifford St on your right - you can't miss it. $8.50 per adult.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the Surfers Paradise Esplanade, BreakFree Peninsula offers sweeping views from the Gold Coast hinterland to the wide expanse of the Pacific Ocean. Just 100 metres to the beach and close to the retail and dining hub of Cavill Avenue, the resort offers quality, affordable accommodation ideal for a weekend getaway or family holiday. Accommodation options include One, Two and Three-bedroom Apartments, most with stunning ocean views. If you want to pay a small amount more you can live it up Surfers Paradise style in the Two Bedroom Deluxe Ocean Apartments that have been completely refurbished. All apartments feature their own balcony, ceiling fans, hair dryer, in-room safe, Foxtel, security access and intercom, wireless Internet access (at a charge) and full kitchen and laundry facilities. Onsite there are many facilities to choose from including three swimming pools, children's wading pool and playground, heated spa, sauna, gymnasium, tennis court, BBQ facilities and in-room massage. Located just down the road from Cavill Mall, the shopping and dining hub of Surfers Paradise, and close to all the action of Surfers Paradise. Directly opposite the beach, BreakFree Peninsula offers family friendly facilities and the perfect location for your Surfers Paradise escape. **PLEASE NOTE** Air-conditioning is available in some apartments only. Hence it is on request but subject to availability. For your convenience we cannot accept bookings for same day arrivals outside of reception hours. Please phone during normal business hours prior to arrival to arrange after hours check in. Once a booking has been made we accept NO CANCELLATIONS OR AMENDMENTS to that booking. Party Policy: • Parties are not permitted in apartments • Registered guests only are permitted in apartments after 10pm • Excessive noise will not be tolerated Failure to comply with the above will result in the eviction of the guest/from the property. The property reserves the right to retain all accommodation paid. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers and TravelUp so you can book your Breakfree Peninsula reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Breakfree Peninsula Hotel Surfers Paradise
- Peninsula Hotel Breakfree
- Peninsula Apartments
- Surfers Paradise Peninsula
- Breakfree Peninsula Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast, Australia