“Potential to be Awesome” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Breakfree Peninsula

Breakfree Peninsula
Kiwi Kid, Auckland
“Potential to be Awesome”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

Arrived a few hours before check-in and the delightful Margaret on reception not only allowed us access but upgraded us to an ocean view. She escorted us to our 2 bedroom unit & first impressions were "wow". Views to die for, spacious and well appointed. Unfortunately first impressions can be deceptive .

The apartment we stayed in had the potential to be 5 star except for the cleanliness and basic maintenance. First night we spilled red wine on the kitchen tiles so used (our own) paper towels to clean it up. The floor was just disgusting. Then the bathroom - looking into the shower over the bath it looked clean BUT once inside, the black mould and gunge when you closed the door was just nasty. We had to move lugs in cupboards to ensure we had shelves that weren't lopsided and even rehung part of the curtain in the lounge which was falling down. As for the worn pair of knickers & socks in one of the drawers - just how long had they been there?

Then there's the security chain on the front door - how unfortunate there's nothing to secure it to! So you snib the door and hope for the best. And of course the jug - obviously had been leaking for some time given the discolouration on the base and wetness on the bench. Surely housekeeping should have noticed this and replaced it?. (Wasn't a problem at all to get replaced). Having organised an additional hour for checkout, we got a (very polite) call at 10.20am to ask if we'd organised one - surely they are operating on a computerised system where this can be recorded? It negates the goodwill generated by the additional hour.

Lighting in the bathroom was poor - so poor during the day you couldn't tell if it was on or not. Luckily there's a huge mirror in the dining area where one could do their makeup. Bedside lamp in the second room had a faulty switch and kept flickering - which of course you didn't recall until bedtime when it was too late to do anything about it. There was more - but all so avoidable and inexpensive to fix.

In all fairness, every single member of staff we came into contact with was lovely - which, coupled with the central location is the reason I don't score this as poor. Better inspections need to bee made of units to ensure housekeeping are doing their job properly and basic maintenance is undertaken. Am presuming units were being upgraded by the noise (always during daytime hours and didn't start too early, so not an issue at all) so worth another shot.

Hint - if you're on a budget, don't hesitate to use the bus from the airport. Get off at Markham Ave stop, walk about 250m to Clifford St on your right - you can't miss it. $8.50 per adult.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Andrew P, General Manager at Breakfree Peninsula, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are improving our processes within housekeeping and maintenance and will continue to do so. We are working hard with the owners of each unit to improve the standard. I am happy to inform you that we are getting more owners to do full refurbishments so if you come back next year, make sure to book a deluxe apartment.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Absolutely amazing resort with all the facilities we could ever have wanted. Had a bedroom apartment with a lovely view, we spent virtually the whole stay sitting on the balcony enjoying the scenery. The views can simply not be beaten. Main pool wonderfully deep and the resort is situated close to bus routes and central Surfers. Room was very nice with everything that you'd need while on holiday but it was really the views that made the trip. We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

Enjoyed our stay here. Good location 2 mins from beach few mins from centre of surfers paradise. Close to restaurants, bars and supermarkets. We stayed in spacious 2 and 2 bath. Amazing view of ocean.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank anotherjason
Thank you for your feedback.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

I stayed here last year around May 2012. The views were breathtaking, and the area is very convenient - close to lots of shopping. I felt like I was at home.

I took a nearby bus and train all the way to Brisbane even - that is how convenient Breakfree's area is. My only negative (that had nothing to do with my stay) was that the airline lost my luggage. Coming from New York, losing clothes is a very big inconvenience, but the staff at the front desk was very helpful with helping me get around to find stores where I can find a few replacement items. In fact, I felt like I was annoying to the three people there by constantly asking if they've heard if my luggage came in, but they didn't give me any grief at all, until one day it appeared at the front desk and they called me to let me know. I was so happy then...

One more thing - don't make any phone calls to other territories - I made a 1/2 hour call to Melbourne that cost me about $100.

Other than the above, I really loved the place and hope to visit again and very soon! Thanks to the man and the two women at the front desk for your professional service :-)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Andrew P, General Manager at Breakfree Peninsula, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

stayed at the Peninsula for 1 week with the family. i have been to the gold coast a lot of time and this is probably the best value apartment we ever got.
the view is excellent, close to everything that you need at surfers paradise without being to close to the noise.

Room Tip: request anything higher than lv10 for better view and B Style apartment will have the most ocean vie...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Andrew P, General Manager at Breakfree Peninsula, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We strive to meet expectations and I am glad that we provided you the best holiday after visiting the gold coast so many times. I will pass on your comments to my team.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

I recently stayed at the Peninsula with some friends.
I was appalled at the horrible level of service that the old woman behind the reception desk gives. She is most rude and acts as though she cannot be bothered with anyone. Most of the time whenever myself of my friends asked for any assistance she would speak so rudely to us. We are not from the Gold Coast and have no idea of getting around, or of any of the attractions there. She did not want to help us to find our way around. She however seemed to be nice to some people and very rude to others... This was very upsetting.
Staying there and having this woman treat us like dirt ruined our holiday.

There were a few positives,

- We had great views of the ocean.
- The facilities were really good.
- There was a young girl at reception that was very lovely that seemed to go above and beyond for people. But we only had her once. She was delightful.

Room Tip: If you must stay at the Peninsula, be sure to stay away from the horrible old women behind the recep...
Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Emily J
Thank you for your feedback. I is dissappointing how one interaction by a staff member to a guest put such a downer on what was a great stay. I have held a meeting with our front office team who were shocked by your comments. I expect all of my team to be professional at all times. Please accept my appologies.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

Our stay at breakfree peninsula was dismal at best. If not for the fantastic view we would most likely be disgusted.
Negatives:
- Our crockery and cutlery were revolting (I mean chunks of food stuck in them and looked like they had never been washed)
- The service! We were told we could only have one extra roll of toilet paper during our week long stay with 6 people because 'that is really something you need to supply yourself!' Also very rude and overheard the ladies at reception making nasty remarks about residents and even their own employees on more than one occasion
- The rooms. We stayed during winter and the lack of airconditioning left us stinking hot during the nights. The rooms are dirty and outdated. The showers are all damaged which caused our water to not only come out of the shower head but also out of the wall and the roof. Also splashing between hot and cold throughout the duration of the shower and running out of hot water made for a very uncomfortable experience.
- There were no blockout curtains in the lounge room so whoever got stuck with the rollaway bed was up at the crack of dawn with the sun glaring in their eyes!
Positives:
- The view
- The location

Unfortunately very dissatisfied with our stay and will not be staying there again.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank rarelyleavereviews
Andrew P, General Manager at Breakfree Peninsula, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank you for your feedback. There are some areas of your comments that don't make sense but obviously you felt strongly enough to be a first time reviewer and post feedback. I would love you to give me a call and discuss your stay further.