“Don't do it to yourself!”

Alpha Sovereign Hotel
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We have just returned from the Gold Coast, staying down there one night supporting family for the Gold Coast Airport marathon. We were in room 328/329 on level 3. Literally thought there was a dead body in the room it had the most horrible smell. Wasn't game enough to shower because it was that filthy. My boyfriends pregnant sister-in-law was sick the entire time due to the smell. Had rather sit on the side table than the couch as it looked like it had been picked up from the dump. We dragged dinner out in town as long as we could to avoid being the room and checked out 8 am as soon as possible in the morning. Woke up at 2 am with horrible asthma and could not open the room up as no fly screens on the windows. Being a travel agent myself in Noosa, this was shocking. I am now glad to know the state of the place as i would not book this hotel for a client. We did not complain due to the fact that one guest with us was pregnant and sick (as previsouly stated) and did not want to move her around or cause anymore hastle for her. We now wish we had complained as no sleep, no shower and exhausted the entire next day walking from meeting point to meeting point as support for a runner in the marathon. Stay elsewhere!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
manager_sovereign, Manager at Alpha Sovereign Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Dear Guest,

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at Australis Sovereign Hotel. We pride ourselves on delivering excellence in customer service and great value for money and we apologise that you felt we did not deliver on those aims.

Our rooms are certainly not brand new, but we do make every effort cleaning and maintaining the rooms. We apologise that you felt that this was not the case. We are currently in the process of replacing carpet and furniture and we hope that we may be able to welcome you at the hotel again in the future so that you may enjoy a far more positive experience.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

The staff were rude, the room dirty, the carpet covered in burn marks, a leaking bathroom, uncomfortable beds!
Got a phone call on my way home to say they haven't refunded a $200 security deposit & I have to return to collect it or wait for a cheque to be sent.
It was just plain horrible!
Oh and if you want room service you have to pay for it at your rooms door or collect it yourself from down stairs & movies are an extra $50 deposit.
DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Dave_ben79

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the guest’s survey in relation to your stay at Australis Sovereign Hotel. It is guest participation such as yours that enormously assists the hotel in controlling service standards to ensure all our guests experience our very high standards.

I was most disappointed to read that you had not enjoyed your stay as much as we would have liked you to. I will be discussing all of your comments with all departments and we will be thoroughly investigating your concerns. With regards to the security deposit, this is refundable in cash or by presenting the same card use for the payment upon departure. Alternatively, if you are unable to collect the security bond from reception prior to your departure will can arrange a cheque to refund.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and I can assure you all feedback is taken very seriously and we are constantly working to improve our hotel.

Assistant Manager

Reviewed 28 June 2013

My partner & I stayed at the Australis for 2 nights recently for the first time and were pleased with the overall experience. For the low price we paid we were surprised by the size of the room having expected a small hotel room and getting a large 1 bedroom apartment. The staff were friendly, the restaurant was nice and the sleep was great. Our only sore points were the room decor was a little outdated - needs a refresher & our heater did not work so we were cold. Also didn't like the idea of having to pay for parking. But other than that, great value.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review in relation to your stay at Australis Sovereign Hotel. It is guest participation such as yours that enormously assists the hotel in controlling service standards to ensure all our guests experience our very high standards.

Hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

The reviews were very mixed about this hotel, and the experience was definitely mixed. I'd lashed out and booked a suite which included breakfast in the restaurant. Due to roadworks - so NOT the hotel's fault - had some considerable problems getting to reception so be warned: you can't turn into the side street from the north approach. Check-in was friendly and efficient, room was easy to access, valet parking fabulous, but I was really taken aback with the six+ burn marks on the carpet made by an iron: very trashy look. The kitchenette was clean and neat, the bed/mattress great, nice lounge, TV was too small.

The restaurant was nice and very reasonably-priced for dinner, and the buffet breakfast was fine. I was impressed with the professionalism shown by the restaurant staff in the morning considering the random rudeness and ignorance shown by a tourist group staying there. They were very polite but firm with guests seemingly unaware of basic manners and food handling hygiene.

Room Tip: We were on the 6th floor which escaped the worst of the noise from the highway and roadworks.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
manager_sovereign, Reservations and Yield Manager at Alpha Sovereign Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback of Australis Sovereign Hotel. We pride ourselves on providing excellence in customer service along with great value for money. We apologise that you feel that your room was not of an appropriate standard. We definitely taken on-board your feedback and will be making efforts to rectify issues you have raised.

Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

I have stayed before and found previous staff great but my experience was who cares NEXT! And fine there won't be a next time. I was offered valet parking when checking in but not told this was now the only option or go park on the st down the rd as no parking available anywhere near australis, I found out after going to get dinner and it going cold trying to find out why I couldn't park my car and asked why it was only valet parking now as previously was free parking told to go park in street if I'm not wanting to use it. I think guests should be advised of this before booking!!! Very deceiving and staff rude at answering. Also you need a car as nothing too handy so proably only good for overseas guests that they were laughing at who don't understand the rudeness.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review in relation to your stay at Australis Sovereign Hotel. It is guest feedback such as yours that enormously assists the hotel in controlling service standards to ensure all our guests experience our very high standards.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

We booked the secret deal on wotif and stayed for 4 nights over the long weekend. On the last day we had a service and my partners pyjama bottoms were missing.We would normally not bother however these were brand new & expensive european pyjamas.We reported these missing to reception that night and upon check out the next day we spoke to reception who told us they would check with the laundry and call us back. Days passed and no one called. Over the next couple of weeks both my partner and myself called a number of times and was told by reception someone would call us back - but no one called. I only recieved a response once I called again and asked to speak to a Duty Manager (over 2 weeks later) she then contacted the laundry and lost property and reported that they did not have them and they couldn't help us any further. After multiple interactions with the staff I was pretty disappointed and it left me wondering if the laundry did not have them had they been stolen? I didn't want to complain on tripadvisior so I thought I would call the Manager to make him aware of what happen. I explained to him that what I was most upset about was the fact I had to call so many times and no one returned my call. He assured me he would investigate and call me back -1 week later and no call. Once again I had to contact the hotel and asked to speak to the Manager who said he had investigated this and was just... about to call me.
Make of this what you will however having worked in hospitality I don't think this is any way to treat your guest.
So we leave with no pyjamas but with the knowledge that there are a plenty of other great Hotels on the Gold Coast who offer some great deals and I am sure offer better service to their guests. My recommendation would be to look around.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
manager_sovereign, Reservations and Yield Manager at Alpha Sovereign Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback of our hotel. At Australis Sovereign Hotel we pride ourselves on delivering great value for money and excellent customer service. I am very sorry that you did not feel we lived up to those aims. We wish to assure you that we have investigated and searched our lost property and also had the laundry search for the pyjamas and unfortunately as previously advised to you they have not been located. We are apologetic that you are without the pyjamas. Further, please accept our apologies that you feel that we did not return your calls appropriately.

Once again, we apologise that you did not enjoy a more positive experience at Australis Sovereign hotel.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

we have stayed here 4 times. The last time we were a little disappointed. The Australis is just away from the main beaches and shops but that isn't an issue. The rooms are certainly fine and clean. But we learned this time by accident (wasn't highlighted by the young lady checking us in) that parking now is valet and there is a $15 per first night charge and $10 additional nights. They want to take an inprint of your credit card and now charge a $1 fee. We used our room towels for the pool and asked the desk for clean ones. They charge $5 for a beach towel but they were happy to give us a clean towel but Debbie was left in the lobby in her swim gear awaiting a new towel. Lastly the restaurant we dined 2 nights and like our other stays the food is good quality and generally the staff are courteous. The 2nd night however we had to wait over 1 hour for our meal and the restaurant was half full. There were at least 3 other tables that complained. Nice hotel, clean, generally the staff are helpful but we may not stay again

Room Tip: we have stayed on the side, the rear and the front on a busy road and really the road noise does not...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 495PaulJ
manager_sovereign, Reservations and Yield Manager at Alpha Sovereign Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Australis Sovereign Hotel. We are thrilled that you continue to stay with us at the hotel, however we are disappointed to hear that you experienced some issues on your last stay.

With regards to the valet car parking, we have recently introduced this service and we apologise that you were not made aware prior to your stay. The imprint of a credit card is important as it allows for a security for the room - the $1 is the minimum amount we can process when undertaking an imprint and this $1 does reverse upon your check out. With regards to the waits you experienced, we apologise and I will be thoroughly investigating.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback. Please be assured that we take on-board all feedback and will be working to ensure that you may experience a more positive experience if you book with us again in the future.