“Best Hostel on the Coast”

Backpackers In Paradise
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I was traveling the east coast from South to North and "Backpackers in Paradise" the best hostel I stayed in Australia. It's only an appr. 5 min walk from the Surfers Paradise coach station down the road. The staff is really friendly. I talked to the manager Marcus and he is living in Surfers for a long time, so he knows the place very well. As I wanted top plan my trip a little bit better I talked to Alex. It was a bit tricky because I wasn't to sure what I wanted to do and see. But as he also grew up in this area he knows the coast very well and he was also really helpful. He did a great job on booking all the things for me and also got me a place for Whitsundays which is not to easy to book only two weeks in advance. The kitchen is very very clean and you can find everything you need for cooking. They had pots, cuddlery, cups and so on. There was also a pool you could chill out or playing waterball if you didn't feel like going to the beach. A lot of sun chairs where available to lay on. Also there is a "cinema" where they show movies during the day. If you don't feel like doing one of this those things you can just play some pool or train your beer pong skills playing some water pong. You are not allowed to bring your own alcohol because they have their own bar. I actually didn't think this was bad. Because everybody who wanted to party went out so it was very quiet at night and you could get a good sleep. The room I stayed in was clean as well. It was a 4 dorm girls bed room. I got along with the girls in my room very well. We had an ensuite bathroom. Actually everyone in this hostel was very nice and I felt so comfortable there after the first night I ended up staying 3 nights instead of 2 and was really sad when I had to leave this place. "Backpackers in Paradise" is a very nice and friendly hostel where I felt like home for a short period and found a new family. I love this place and would also recommend it to my friends.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Markus_bip, Manager at Backpackers In Paradise, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a response. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope too see you again!
From all the team here at Backpackers in paradise :)

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Was in Surfers Paradise for a week and wanted somewhere close to the beach/nightlife/town centre and Backpackers In Paradise was perfect for that! Room was basic but clean and tidy and bed was comfy! Found the atmosphere at the hostel very sociable and staff very efficient and friendly! Only negative I can think of was that the shower drain was blocked the first day but staff sorted it out as soon as I reported it. Would def come back here again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to leave a response, we are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would come back! We hope to see you soon. Happy travels
From our team here at the backpackers in paradise :)

Reviewed 19 March 2014

This was the worst hostel experience for my friends and I!
To start with, they had stuffed up my booking so my friends and I were all separated in rooms all over the place. The guy on reception was the RUDEST person I have EVER met. He was walking around with no shoes and didnt give a crap that we werent all going to be in the same room. I walked into the room and it was disgusting there were cockroaches, dust, hair everywhere. This room had clearly not been vacummed for months. The bathroom was also gross. I paid $31 for my one night stay which was way overpriced for what this place actually is. I even ended up staying with my friend at her hotel room because I couldnt bring myself to sleep there! BEWARE, THIS IS A PARTY HOSTEL AND IN EXTREMELY BAD CONDITION! BOOK AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Amelia S
Markus_bip, Manager at Backpackers In Paradise, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Hi there Amelia, firstly we would like to thank you for leaving a review, its always great to hear feedback as it helps to better our hostel. Just to clear up your complaints, we do deeply apologize for not being able to put you all in the same room, that was a mistake on our part & we are sorry for that. However the receptionist tried very hard to firstly move the booking around to avoid it but it was a weekend and we were fully booked so there was no movement. He also tried to compensate you for the mistake by dropping the price to $20 & also getting you a free drink each in our bar to the value of $24 plus. As for the cleanliness, we have a main group of cleaners who operate in the morning and also cleaners who are on shift all day, sometimes after the cleaners have done their rounds in the morning guest can bring sand for example in from the beach, if you had come to reception we could have sent a staff member up to clean your room for you. As for being a party hostel, well yes we are.We advertise that across all websites & brochures! Our slogan is "THE PARTY STARTS HERE", we feel as though this is a plus for our guests as we offer a great atmosphere in the hostel & it's something we are complimented on daily! It's disappointing for us to hear you didn't enjoy your stay as a extremely high percentage of our guests do.

Thanks again

The B.I.P team.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

The positives:

*we arrived way too early for check in however they got the cleaning staff to clean the flat and let us in
*the pool was nice area to relax
*the corner shop was part of the backpackers and staff by nice people
*the movie area was great as it has a massive screen
*the female staff member was a great help when deciding what to do. She was amazing
*we had aircon in are flat a god send

The Negative:

*It seemed to me that the staff live at the backpackers and the some of the male staff spend their days off drinking at the resort
*one male member of staff which i had no dealings with was loud and rude when he was drunk, punching the dirty bed linen sign
*The internet was down the whole time we where there
* We asked for no one to enter the flat which was ignored as the shower mat was taken and replaced by a towel.

overall the this place is average and needs a little work done, most the staff where nice to deal with. i do believe the prices are a little high for what you get.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi there, thanks for leaving us a review,we appreciate your feedback as it helps us to better our hostel.
We're very happy to hear you enjoyed our facilities & found our staff friendly, we do apologize for the internet being down, Global Gossip our provider couldn't send us a technician for a few days as they were under staffed in NSW & VIC. As for the staff entering, we are very sorry. The cleaners do their daily rounds & must have forgotten that day.

Thanks again for the review & we would love the chance to look after you next time you come to the Gold Coast.

Regards
Markus.

Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Came over for a holiday and with a small budget for accommodation we came across the backpackers and had read amazing reviews about the backpackers but I thought it was average because the bed was so uncomfortable, the shower and toilet were a bit dirty as well I just thought it was a bit over priced for what it was. The atmosphere in the outdoor was pretty good and the location was handy also but the room was a bit disappointing for the price.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a response, We are sorry to hear you were disappointed with our accommodation and will take all your feedback on board. We hope you will return for another stay with us in the near future.
From all the time here at Backpackers in paradise :)

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Had a great stay, over last weekend. We came up as a group for a birthday & had a ball, it's like 2 mins walk from cavill ave . The room was air-conditioned which was great & also had en-suite!! I've done a fair bit of travelling and this was a pleasant surprise. The staff were great aswell, the girls forgot to bring shampoo & it was too late to buy any so the surfy guy behind reception went and gave us his & bought it up to the room!! Things like that go a long way.

I highly recommend this hostel for the reasons above. Thanks for everything guys.

Room Tip: Ask ALEX ( blonde hair ) , he knows everything about the rooms etc .
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to leave a response, we are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and found the reception staff helpful. We hope this means you will be staying with us again in the near future! Safe travels.
From our team at the Backpackers in paradise :)

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights whilst traveling the east coast and it was one of the worst hostels I stayed in. Very dirty our bathroom made you feel dirtier after you had used it, doors that wouldn't lock or unlock. The whole place is in need of a big revamp. We also didn't enjoy the loud dance music played outside our room by the bar from very early in the morning. There are much nicer hostels in this area.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to leave a response, we are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us and appreciate the feedback. All this will be taken into account. Happy travels!
From all the team here at Backpackers in paradise :)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfers Paradise
Bunk Surfers Paradise
Bunk Surfers Paradise
#54 of 368 in Gold Coast
Surfers Paradise Backpackers Resort
Surfers Paradise Backpackers Res...
#36 of 124 in Surfers Paradise
Aquarius Backpackers
Aquarius Backpackers
#42 of 124 in Surfers Paradise

Been to Backpackers In Paradise? Share your experiences!