“My Point of View”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Matador Tapas Bar - CLOSED

Matador Tapas Bar
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Jakarta
“My Point of View”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We were craving for Spanish food today and came across this restaurant.

We ordered the Seafood Paella, Chicken Garlic Balls, Nachos, Chorizo, and Tomatoes Garlic & Olive Oil over bread.

The tomato over the bread was really thin and dry; couldn't taste the olive oil. We asked for olive oil on the side and she asked for 50c (?????????). The chicken garlic balls tasted like frozen food. The nachos was ok, though the condiments was sad (so little!!). The seafood paella was far below average. The clams were not fresh, the dish was too gooey. We've had paellas all over the world and always had at least 3x the portion with the same price. We expect for a $25 portion that we would get more quantity and quality!!

Overall, we are really disappointed, we came a long way for good food but we didn't get one!

2 Thank Alvin T
Roberto O, Owner at Matador Tapas Bar, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for coming a long way to try my food!

When the waitress brought you pan tomaca, without tasting it first you straightaway asked for extra olive oil. Please understand it is not bread dip with oil and it is a dish make this way similar to bruschetta. I understand you travel around the world, but now you are in Australia. No matter where you go if you order something is not come with the dish you have to pay extra. The seafood paella is 25 and it is for one person not for six people to share. I believe it is very reasonable price in Australia. Maybe in your country you can have Aud25 feed your whole family but unfortunately it is not going to happen here except you dine in fast food place.

I understand your mood are turn down because of the 50c olive oil and the price. I would appreciate customers can write the review base on the fact not make false statements about my food. About your taste, I don't want to make any comments as the waitress collected a dozen chili sauces sachets from your table. I don't understand you put chili sauces to all dishes make them spicy. The spicy is so strong will cover the taste of olive oil and other flavors.
Advice from me, please don't add other things to the dishes as it changes the original flavor.

Singapore, Singapore
“Very satisfied tummies :)”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Ordered Grilled Calamari and Seafood Paella. It was SUPERB!!! What are you waiting for?

Great food & great service.

1 Thank Cleona T
Melbourne - Australia
“Recommend Highly”
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

We were recommended by Trip Advisor and was not disappointed by the quality of the food.

We ordered the twin share paella and 3 sides, all presented lovingly and with much flavour!!

We could not recommend this place highly enough!!

2 Thank dastickman
Australia
“did I go to the same restaurant????”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Wanted to find a restaurant with in walking distance of our hotel, how this place got its spot near the top of the list in Surfers Paradise is a surprise . The menu looked OK, we ordered the the set menu for 2-3 people then added garlic bread( straight from package taste) and feta, sundried tomatoes and olive, not much flavour in any. The meals , garlic prawns, chorizo, potato, nothing special at all. Only good thing ,it was cheap

• Visited July 2014
Roberto O, Owner at Matador Tapas Bar, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for coming to my place. FYI, I make my own garlic bread. I believe you had too much garlic bread from the package so can't tell the real homemade one.

Also I would like to answer your question why my place is the top of lists. We already opened for more than 2 years and served over 20,000 customers. I always keep the same standard and same flavours, Everything is fresh cooking here. many repeated customers both local and interstate visit us every year. How I cook in Spain, I do the same here. My place is small family restaurant likes others you can find at any street in Spain. This is why so many customers have been to Spain and miss Spanish food find the same flavours at my place. Unfortunately my food was not special for you.

Attention for further "special" customer: We serve original homemade Spanish food and my place is not fancy. Don't come to my place with a illusion or imagination. For those like to eat decoration, Do me and yourself a favor, go to marina mirage or broadbeach. There are plenty big restaurants. The decoration is fancy and ............

No vayas por la apariencia, ésta te puede engañar.
Brisbane, Australia
“Excellent.........Buenisimo”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I when with my family and we had the special set and also we order tortilla and meat balls for my Kids.....wow I really enjoyed with each dishes in special the seafood paella, it was superb...
my kids loved the meat balls and the tortilla.
The service was great and very helpful.

We glad to find this littler place, I really recommend.

• Visited July 2014