“Somewhat disappointed.”

Ocean Seafood Chinese & Malaysian
Ranked #142 of 378 Restaurants in Surfers Paradise
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Somewhat disappointed.”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Went there because of the numerous positive reviews from tripadvisor. I find the food to be average in general and it tends to be too oily. The roast meat is good though. It's still worth visiting if you yearn for Chinese food but don't have high expectation of it.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank keeny_sgp

Toowoomba, Australia
“A Diamond in the Rough!!!”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We lived on GC for 3 years and found Ocean Seafood late one night when I was craving Chinese food and all the nearby/surburban restaurants were closed. We headed into Surfers just looking to find somewhere open and we saw the neon sign in the window OPEN TILL 2AM - YAY!!! We had a great meal that night and many many more since. We now live in Toowoomba, but everytime (and I mean EVERYtime) we are on the Coast, we head to Ocean Seafood. The decore's not fancy, and sometimes you have to wave at the waiter but the food is aways fantastic. We're keen foodies (hubby is a chef) and have eaten in some good, great, bad and indifferent restaurants - but Ocean Seafood is one of those hidden gems!!

• Visited May 2013
Sydney
“If this is the best Chinese, the Gold Coast is struggling!”
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We visited here last night, purely because of its high rating on TA. Sadly we were disappointed from the moment we arrived.

It was quite busy, it was Saturday night, but there is no excuse for being left waiting for about 4 minutes at the entrance as if we were invisible. When we were eventually attended to, they cleared a table for two and we sat down. We then waited another 5 minutes until anyone came to offer us a glass of water and wine glasses, the another 10 minutes until someone came to take our order.
We chose one simple entrée, 2 curry puffs, which did not arrive until we had been there for 50 minutes!

I must say that these were probably the worst curry puffs I have ever eaten. They were very very greasy and did not have much filling.

Before our mains arrived, my wife noticed that we had not been offered chopsticks, just a fork and spoon. Yes we are not Asian, but we can handle chopsticks, so we thought that was a bit offensive and discriminatory.

After 70 minutes our mains arrived. I ordered Curry Ayam ( Chicken Curry) and my wife ordered Scallops with Black Bean Sauce. I also ordered a roti channai for us to share.

My wife's scallop dish was very nice, she loved it. My curry was also tasty, although quite oily and it was served on the bone, so it was messy to eat. It was a long way from the best curry Ayam I have ever had. The roti was served alone, without the curry sauce, although we were charged for the full dish. This was one of the worst rotis we have ever had, my wife was sure it was nothing more than badly fried puff pastry...and she is a chef.

Not once during the meal did anyone offer to fill our wine glass and the service generally was woeful.

All in all it was a pretty underwhelming experience and this restaurant is not worthy of its 'top ten' Trip Advisor rating by a long chalk. Legends Chinese/ Malaysian is far better just up and across the road, but even that is not ' the best ever' as some people have described Ocean Seafood.

Also, and quite oddly, this restaurant has no website, no menu on line anywhere and even no menu on display outside like every other restaurant on the Gold Coast. Maybe they are trying to hide something! We won't be rushing back, that's for sure!

• Visited April 2013
Yamba, Australia
“Absolutely Recommended”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Had a week at Surfers late March/early April. We went to Ocean for either lunch or dinner four times because the food is authentic Asian - fresh and full of flavour. The service was impeccable, the ambience was just like a big, rowdy, welcoming Chinese restaurant and it had a huge come back feel. Prices are more than reasonable - especially at lunch. Can recommend highly enough.

• Visited March 2013
“Beautiful food. But it's actually Alison st and surfers paradise blvd”
Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came here for dinner after a few nights of ho-hum food on the Gold Coast. We were pleasantly surprised that this restaurant was as good if not better than previous reviews. We enjoyed dim sims, salt and pepper calamari with beef rendang. It was all lovely and with a modest $3 per person corkage, we enjoyed a few bottles of wine a well. Nice to know there is great food on the Gold Coast. Highly recommended.

1 Thank Kyliekelton