“Best Hostile in Australia”
Review of Budds in Surfers

Budds in Surfers
Reviewed 7 September 2013

My favorite hostile in Australia, I wish every place was like this. They are doing everything right. Here goes: comfortable beds/pillows, free lockers in the room (keyed, don't need your own lock), free breakfast (cereal, milk, and toast everyday --- pancakes on Sunday), free pool & lounge chairs, free ping pong, new bar about to open, pub crawls (cheap and great way to meet people), surfboards/body boards/bikes for hire, free transport to/from bus stop (schedule ahead of time by calling reception), the most amazing showers and toilet facilities (always clean, brand new, and very private with fully closed doors), full kitchen (basically always open) and full cutlery sets. And last but not least, the couple that owns the place has put their heart into it and it shows. You will see them around maintaining the place, say hi if you get a chance. The staff is also super cool and helpful, be friendly and cool and they will be like family to you. Only thing I would say is that the free Internet is kind of slow (but it's free, so...) also the place can be hard to find (until they install the new sign out front) so look at the address on the mailbox out front.

• Stayed: September 2013
Adam H, Manager at Budds in Surfers, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Hi, and thank you for the great review. Great to read you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the our new hostel. We do work very hard to make every stay as special as yours.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

From the moment I walked in the staff were amazing & very helpful. All the fellow back packers were friendly and we found a life timeate. The resort was CLEAN and within walking distance to shops and restaurants. Would stay here over and over again. High 5 budds ;)

• Stayed: August 2013

Hi Vanessa, and thank you for the great review. Great to read that we could exceed your expectations and a big high 5 straight back at you!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Budds in the future.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed for two nights as a young couple in a private room with on suite.

Positives : GREAT location, a five minute walk to the main beach and restaurants and shops. We loved the location. It was clean and the staff was very pleasant.

Negatives : the 'private' bathroom in our room was actually a toilet with a half wall... so zero privacy. The walls were just so thin and we were right by the kitchen so there was a lot of noise most of the night. We stayed there during the winter and it was quite cold and humid... so bring warm clothes to sleep in!

Room Tip: Ask for a room further from the kitchen area as the guests gather there, often late at night and aft...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi Marie

It was disappointing to read that you and your partner did not enjoy our ensuite on this occasion. We do take pride in being able to deliver on all experiences for our guests, and it seems our ensuite did not meet your standards. By law we are required to have this ensuite to be wheel chair accessible. However we must have missed a few of those nice touches in the newly renovated bathroom during your stay. We have taken your feedback very well, we have replaced our thin blankets with nice new thick duvet's.

I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed how close we were to the heart of Surfers; also I'm very happy to hear you appreciated how clean the hostel is. We clean the bathrooms 6 times a day, and I'm so happy you noticed it. We would like to have you back so you could truly enjoy the full buds experience. Please email me at adam@buudsinsurfers.com.au so we can talk further about any issues that you might have.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Great friendly staff, clean organised hostel. Fast $2 hour internet kiosk! Wish we could have stayed longer, Would differently recommend. Free breakfast, Free WiFi, social hostel quiet at night kitchen open late 10:00pm.

• Stayed: August 2013

Hi Blinka, and thank you for the great review. Sounds like you had a great time at the hostel, and you were able to relax and enjoy the service.

Thanks again for letting us know about your experience, we look forward to welcoming you back to Budds.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Short stay, just 3 nights with family.
1 family room & 1 private double room.

We arrived late around 11pm, haven't taken our dinner, dead tired and can't wait to check in to our room for a rest.
They mixes up my bookings. Can't find my private room bookings until I show them the email. I Almost got paid for a private room but stay in a dorm. phewwww~
It was pretty tedious, the person in charge only have 1 key to the private double room, which he can't give it to me, I need to get the key the next morning at 8am-8:30am. I can't close my doors unless my hubby stays in the room because the door will lock itself.

When we finally sorted out the rooms issue, he show us to our family room and was shock to find that there are 3 staffs in our family room, hanging out "watching tv". I was very unhappy because I read good reviews and persuade my family to stay with budds. I requested them to change the sheets (they didn't offer at first, but luckily didn't refuse my request)
They did apologies, but it I was already pretty upset.

We later found that all toilets are outside, non ensuite. I think budds should had highlight this. Didn't remember reading this important information anywhere. Was another letdown because it's pretty cold in the winter to wander in the middle of the night to look for the toilet. Another letdown.

Very thin blanket, but you can ask for extra if too cold. But the blanket is poor quality.

Wanted to loan a towel, but the reception was not open til next morning ;( Luckily, everyone else brought their own towels. I had to shared with my hubby. If you know you were to check in late, be prepared.

Nothing special about this hostel. Hence, I didn't take any photo.

Ya free breakfast. Free internet, but limit you to 250KB per sec...slow as a snail. Better buy an Optus sim with $2 per day, unlimited data & calls.

This is by far the worst hostel that I had been to. Too many disappointments. Was glad it was only a short stay.

Room Tip: Go for top floor room,,,,downstairs is very noisy especially near the breakfast area.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Adam H, Manager at Budds in Surfers, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Hello Shirniong,
Thank you for your feedback.
I would very much like to discuss the points you have raised in further detail.
My email address is adam@buddsinsurfers.com.au
We take these comments very seriously and would like to work together to improve on our hostel.
Please note that we do offer a higher speed internet service at reception, extra blankets when requested and private rooms with ensuites are available for booking.
We would love for you to stay with us again and hope that we can discuss this is further detail.
Hope to speak to you soon
Regards

Reviewed 20 July 2013

FANTASTIC! Place to stay. We stayed here for 2 days. Awesome staff and management super helpful, very friendly and very approachable. Comfy rooms and clean and tidy bathrooms overall a great experience! Will definitely be back! Thanks guys :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Stacey C
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and liked the hostel. The twin rooms are clean, spacious and you get a big TV. The kitchen is small but that was never a problem. There is a lot of sitting space outside and inside. Location is ok. They organise things every night! We had some noise problems one night but apperently this was from people who weren't guests... To solve this matter the owner told us that he will put an entrance gate in place... Swimming pool also ok !

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thibaut T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfers Paradise
Surfers Paradise Backpackers Resort
Surfers Paradise Backpackers Res...
#35 of 123 in Surfers Paradise
#18 of 27 in Coolangatta
Aquarius Backpackers
Aquarius Backpackers
#37 of 123 in Surfers Paradise

Been to Budds in Surfers? Share your experiences!