“Ok, wouldn't stay again though..”

Sunset Island Resort
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Location to main streets in Surfers a decent walk away, not a very comforting walk home late at night either surrounded by hostel type accommodation. Dryer didn't work and the food dispenser in the sink smelled disgusting even though we had never used it - granted we never asked for either to be fixed so our own fault there. We were on the ground floor so security was an issue for us but nothing happened so that's a plus. Not to mention I'm pretty sure the only way to the other floors are stairs and I'm glad I didn't have to deal with them. Rooms are nothing special, reasonably clean but for what you pay not worth it. Glad we didn't spend much time in our room so it didn't ruin our holiday but I wouldn't stay again.

Room Tip: Not on the ground floor. Leaves you paranoid about people jumping over from the footpath and breakin...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Koukli86

Reviewed 10 March 2012

I must admit looking at previous reviews I was wondering what we were in for
But talking to my daughter here in New Zealand who has a back packers lodge,she told me a lot about the general public,for instance if you have a really picky person who is demanding the world for nothing and does not accept that you cannot help him or her,they will write a bad review,so like children in their ways
Also you cannot please every single person.the fault finders are always out to see the smallest little things,again childess
Instead of letting staff know they are not happy and are willing to help or suggest a solution they get on their high horse and of course we know what happens
Some of the reviews I have read are so ridiculous ,where are they from?obviously they have not travelled much and have not observed the basic common sense rules in all accommodation places You should know that you buy or take your own extra soap,toilet paper,washing powders etc
Any way we stayed 9 nights and everything was excellent ( even our toilet paper lasted )
Do not blame the management for stupid things
like bed hard ( you should try sleeping like i had to throughout China on slabs of concrete with just matting) just ask for a solution, I am sure they would help you
Also noisy and too far to walk,the managers cannot be held responsible for others actions
After all you choose where you want to stay and if you look for faults,you find everywhere
So to all that consider this place I highly recommend

Room Tip: we had a room on 2nd floor facing road
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Douglas S
Reviewed 25 January 2012

The units are a reasonable size with the most basic inclusions.
The beds are a basic mattress and base without a bed head and very average to sleep on.
The lounge doubles up as a spare double bed, I was unusable to sit on to watch TV as it sagged to the metal bed frame and you just about got jammed in it.
The kitchen was a good size with the most basic kitchen necessities it needs a good review and update ,The can opener did not work , no bottle opener and not even 1 pair of tongs.
Then the noise ...........this place is an echo box you can hear doors open and shut from all levels and units and when people are on the move 24 hours a day it becomes a bit hard to take.
The place is basically clean to look at , however a closer look on corners , between the washing machine and tub and the mildew in the shower shows that more effort is required.
The pool area is a good size but the water lacked sparkle and the gardens where always littered with fallen and dead fronds from the Golden Cane palms.
The location is a good 15 minutes walking distance to the beach ,the path is narrow and crowded with the hundreds of backpacker accommodation places that line this street and the rubbish and furniture that is dumped on the street has to be seen to be believed.
The Sunset Island resort needs some major improvements in addressing the points made above . The local Council and backpacker accommodation proprietors need to get their act together and also address some issues .

Room Tip: They are all the same!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eddie and Judi P
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I booked accommodation for myself and my family in April of this year for a week during January 2012. The package advertised was listed as a 7 night stay for the price of a 5 night stay, at a cost of " $840.00 down from $1120.00 ". This looked to be excellent value so I booked this package, paid the $290.00 deposit requested and was advised the balance would be payable upon arrival.

Over 7 months had passed, and in November I descided to call and pay the balance so it was out of the way.( $840.00 - $290.00 = $550.00 ) so I called "Sunset Island Resort" to pay my remaining balance over the phone with my credit card. I was then informed by a man that the balance owing was $1.015.00. I explained the package I booked to him and didnt seem to know anything about it so he told me he would get his wife to call me back in about an hour. As an Accommodation Manager myself I knew this wasnt good, and I was not going to recieve the good value package as advertised.

About an hour later his wife Sue called me and to put it lightly, wen t for my throat. I have never been spoken to so horribly by somebody in customer service in my life. She rudely told me that there was no such package and that if I wasnt prepared to pay the higher amount my booking would be cancelled as they had been turning people away for months for those dates. Now, I managed accommodation in the Hunter Valley Vineyards for years, and yes, I had made similar mistakes to the one made by "Sunset Island Resort", But I still honoured the booking, as It was my fault for making an error when setting the rates. Only a pathetially unethical Accommodation provider would give a customer the ultimatum I was given!!!!!

The website states that if a booking is cancelled more than 29 days prior to arrival a $50.00 fee will be witheld. I am currently fighting against this as I dont believe they should get to keep my $50.00 when I chose to cancel my booking due to false advertising and EXTORSION!!!!

SUNSET ISLAND RESORT IS A JOKE.....And after reading TripAdvisor, I see I am not the only person they have done this to. Thery should be shut down at the very least.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
11  Thank Jordique
sunsetis, Manager at Sunset Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Sunset Island Resort management stand by all holiday packages and rates advertised.
The reviewer has not stayed at Sunset Island Resort.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

For 90 dollars a night to get a one bedroom apartment was fantastic. Good sized tv, full kitchen and laundry in your apartment. All you need for a week in the Gold Coast. A 5-10 minute walk to cavill av. Can be noisy at times, but hey its the Gold Coast, what do you expect?

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2011

My partner and I just returned home, after spending three nights at the Sunset Island Resort. The room itself was quite nice, although, some areas of cleaning appear to have been overlooked. There was a dead cockroach in the shower, along with cockroach eggs, that I had to wash down the drain myself and a dirty tissue was left on the balcony.
The bed was hard and not overly comfortable to sleep on and the couch sagged in the middle, so this was also very uncomfortable.
The hallway noise was also quite bad, especially in the mornings, around check out time. You can hear doors slamming and people talking, it woke me up every morning. I also found management to be quite rude, on the couple of dealings that we had.
All in all, it is nice, but there is too much letting it down for me to want to stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kylie B
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Very good value apartment in great location at Surfers Paradise. Rooms were very clean and hosts were exceptionally helpful. a little noisy between apartments but hosts were happy to intervene if necessary.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family