“A little disappointed”

Sunset Island Resort
Sydney, Australia
“A little disappointed”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Nice little place out of the way, but a little too far out of the way. No elevators and a bit out dated but the pool was nice. Room was adequate but it felt like you were in prison-everywhere you looked it seemed that there was a fee attached and it made me nervous. It was like stepping on egg shells - I visited with my so sons, both under 10, and they wanted to charge me an extra person fee. I was very disappointed as this would have made it the price of a beachfront property, luckily after I expressed my disappointed they made me feel like they were doing me a favour by not charging me. I understand the concept of people trying to run a business but this was ridiculous
Has this not happened they would have made it to average - only just

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Shakaka
sunsetis, Manager at Sunset Island Resort, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Unfortunately, Sunset Island Resort cannot provide free accommodation - all the resort websites show the additional person charges. For special requests, such as difficulty climbing stairs, please make a request on booking and we will try to accommodate you in a ground floor apartment.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Had a great stay in the resort! Room was really good and nice and clean. Staff were friendly and helpful. Was a short walk into Surfers which was handy. Would highly recommend this place to anyone of any age!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jenna L
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Had a great time in the resort. Rooms lovely and clean and reception staff were always friendly and helpful.
The free secure parking was great and the spa was great after a day shopping.
I will definitely stay there again

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mcdonaldclan
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Stayed in a one bedroom apartment , found it clean and quiet , would be more noisy if sleeping on the sofabed in the lounge though where a family member was sleeping . We stayed next to reception which was handy .Secure parking in a locked garage for our rental car which I liked .
We all jumped in the pool one night and I left the door key in the apartment , took the car keys instead by mistake . No staff around , called the afterhours number was told it was going to cost $50.00 however the manager/owner promptly turned up and unlocked for free which was a relief ! However it was still quite early , around 7pm .
Make sure you have toilet paper etc as reception closes late afternoon otherwise you will have to go out . Washer and dryer in our apartment was handy .
Overall a pleasant stay in a quiet location .

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Traralgon, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I recently returned from a wonderful weeks stay at the Sunset Island Resort in Surfers Paradise with two friends. I have nothing but positive things to say about our stay there.

Firstly, the staff members working on the front desk were so friendly and kind, they greeted us every time we arrived and left the Resort. We were also lucky enough to be allowed to check in early as the room was free. We also were able to have a late check out at a small cost, and the staff watched our luggage while we went for lunch before our late flight home.

We stayed in room 325 which was a 3 storey 2 bedroom penthouse apartment. The second we walked in the door we were in awe of everything, 2 sitting room areas, a washing maching and a drier, 3.5 balconies, 3 t.vs, a modern kitchen and 2 bathrooms. All the beds were super soft and comfortable and we were given plenty of blankets. Even the fold out sofa's were comfortable to sleep on. The dining room and sitting rooms had plenty of space to sit down, and there was an air conditioner on every floor. 2 of the balconies had out door settings including banana lounges, we spent plenty of time out there.

The swimming pool was clean and a decent size, plus a very comfrotable warm spa which was great to relax in. There was also a communial BBQ area which we didn't use, but it looked great.

The only negative thing I have to say is that the floors are very thin, you can hear people walking with in your own apartment very loudly. Apart from that the hotel room was very clean and spacious, perfect for a group of friends or a small family to stay in. It was about a 15min walk to the main shops and strip, or a $10 taxi fare, we did both frequently.
If there was any problems with out stay (which there wasn't) I wouldn't of hesitated to contact reception as they were very approcahable.

I was so shocked to read the reviews on here, I'm not too sure where all the negativity has come from, our stay was amazing and I wouldn't hesitate to tell my friends about staying here and I will be staying here again, Sunset Island Resort is worth a visit, you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Room 325 was where we stayed and it was amazing! However if you aren't able bodied, request a ro...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kelly N
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Upon our recent stay here in a 2 bedroom apartment I was not impressed with the standard of service in this place. Upon arrival room looked clean but on closer inspection floors were greasy and grotty, bedroom carpet was best described as "pub carpet" sticky and disgusting, I doubt if it had ever been steam cleaned at all. Kitchen cupboards doors were falling off of hinges. The rest of the apartment clean I would say is done by the prior guests. They cut corners on cost everywhere in the place, the apartments were old and run down, curtains have holes in them, hairdryer was not even switched on and it was burning out which left a bad stink in the apartment.

Previous guests had caused damage to the plaster & carpet and we got the blame for this, the beds are old and creaky which make for an uncomfortable nights sleep. Price per night was around $175 with the offer of one free night, upon departure they charged us an extra $120 for damages to the room which we were only informed of by email, on their assumption we had flown back home and caused this damage. We did not cause this damage, we informed them of this and they still maintain we caused it and reading previous reviews from other guests I would say they make sure they charge everyone who stays there extra to recoup the so called "free night" they offer you. DON'T STAY HERE EVER this apartment was definitely not 4star quality, I have stayed at classier motor inns. If you complain to management about these extra charges they simply don't care or listen to you, they talk over you and I would say they have some bad damaged rooms which they allocate to guests with young families, they know that the damage is there and they simply place you in that room and charge you "repair costs" when you leave, they then don't carry out the repair and charge the next guests the same charges. DIrty business practices- THIS IS A SCAM
The list of negatives for this place could go on from
- hygiene issues
pubic hair and mould found in showers
brown smear marks on bathroom walls (look like faeces)
mouldy smell throughout (i've stayed in many 4/5 star resorts in the tropics and never experienced a stench this bad, it was nauseating)
-to broken appliances
Dishwasher doors that doesn't closer properly
Fridges that don't close properly (leads to food spoilage)
cracked drinking glasses, dirty crockery & cutlery. LIKE I SAID I COULD STILL TELL YOU MORE NEGATIVES now for the positives common areas such as pool are nice, thats about it.

Room Tip: All rooms on the road side have noisy corridors doors are slamming all hours of day and night unsafe...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank QueensTraveller285
sunsetis, Manager at Sunset Island Resort, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Sunset Island Resort has again been awarded 4 stars by AAA in March 2013.
Management has a simple request of guests: respect the other holiday-makers in the resort, and respect the facilities provided.

Travellers are raving about these Surfers Paradise hotels

Birmingham
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We stayed at the Sunset Island resort for 2 nights in late march, upon arrival we were impressed at the cleanliness of the apartments. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment, with a large doubler room and small twin room (twin room so small that with 2 beds in the room, the door wouldn't close). However the lounge/kitchen area was very spacious with a balcony overlooking the pool.

The apartments themselves appear to be deigned to cater for long staying customers, as the rooms are serviced once a week, for this to be increased its $35 per time, fortunately we were only staying for 2 nights.

The location of the apartments is excellent, being only 5/10 minutes walk to the restaurants, bars and beach, it couldn't be better.

The downside to the apartments is that as mentioned in other reviews, without being careful you could find yourself being charged a lot of 'extra fees'. Should you forget your apartment key outside of office hours, and require buzzing in by the management, you will be charged $50. Should you be late to check out after 10am, you're charged $20 per hour.

On the whole, the apartments are very clean, with a decent size pool and are in a great location, definitely worth staying here, just be careful not to expose yourself to the charges and you'll really enjoy your stay here!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends