“Roaches...roaches.....and some more roaches”

St. Tropez Apartments
“Roaches...roaches.....and some more roaches”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

So....day one. We enter the 'resort' and check in to find that we needed to deposit a $100 bond that we were never informed of prior to our stay. We then entered our room on the first floor to find an utter dump. Holes in the walls, rust coloured stains and broken furniture. We then went into the bedroom to find our bedroom light wasnt functioning. We then went and reported it and were informed a handy man would be coming past. When he finally showed up we were informed that they knew it was broken and that there was nothing he could do. After he left I opened up the remote and fixed the light myself. that night I went to the toilet to find a giant cochroach..i was not impressed. Hoping it was a one time occurence I went back to sleep. for the remainder of the week I probably killed 3-4 cochroaches per day. I would not recomend this hell to anybody. Cochroaches, no light, no spa and tiles broken in the pool. This place is a safety anf health hazard.

• Stayed March 2012
Amanda M, Manager at St. Tropez Apartments, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
A security bond is standard practice.
In the apartment you stayed in, we have addressed the issues you have brought to our attention. The owner of the apartment is going to refurbish. Unfortunately all our apartments are individually owned and it often takes a comment such as yours to force owners to improve their presentation.
Cockroaches are a common Gold Coast pest, and the large ones do fly in. Our complex and apartments are regularly sprayed for pest control.
Our apartments meet health and safety standards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Travel Agent in Southampton
Reviewed 23 March 2012

The location of the Breakfree St Tropez is perfect for both the shops and the spectacular beach of Surfer's Paradise. Although the rooms were a little tired and could do with a lick of paint they were very clean, big and even came with a washing machine & tumble dryer for no extra charge! The bed was also very comfy!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank AgentBear
Cronulla, Australia
Reviewed 13 February 2012

there were 3 girls for a girls weekend away we spent 3 nights here, we arrived and the spas were all were closed for maintenance and when we opened the door to the room cockroaches scurried around....

the beds left us itchy and they don't mind baggage so if you have a late flight you will have to make other arrangements

the shower was broken and would spray the laundry floor

in need of renovating

and no air con

for $150 a night it was terrible and i would never stay here again

but as a plus great for a big group of boys who just want to party and just need somewhere to stay

Room Tip: look elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Amanda M, Manager at St. Tropez Apartments, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
As the new manager of St Tropez I'm disappointed that your accommodation was less than what you expected. I would like to assure everyone that St Tropez now has a very comprehensive after hours service because we actually live on-site. Also, our policy is to assist our guests in everyway we can including the storing of their luggage either before book in or after departing the apartments. Shortly after we took over the management of the resort, we changed both the linen supplier and the company responsible for cleaning the rooms. The feedback we are now receiving from our guests is both positive and complimentary. It is a shame your stay was prior to our arrival as you missed the opportunity to experience our upgraded customer service.
Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I rang this hotel at 3.15pm Saturday afternoon after a friend of mine had placed a tentative booking for me. He was advised that the booking needed to be confirmed by that evening. The woman who answered the phone rudely told me it was after hours and that she could not help me. I explained that the booking had to be confirmed, expecting she would give me a time I could call back ... no, she just kept saying "it is after hours I can only see the bookings that are coming in tonight". I then thanked her and said "I will find somewhere else to stay then", to which she hung up! I can't tell you what the hotel is like but I can tell you that the customer service is atrocious. Since reading reviews on this site, it looks like I may have dodged a bullet. My advice - find somewhere else that wants your business.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Amanda M, Owner at St. Tropez Apartments, responded to this review, 27 January 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to contact us regarding the problem you had with our after hours answering service. We do apologise for any inconvenience caused to you. We recently purchased the management from Breakfree, and we take very seriously any opportunity to improve our guest's experiences. We look forward to welcoming you at St Tropez in the future so you can witness first hand the extra efforts we will go to.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 November 2011

My mother and I are frequent visitors to this lovely resort.
The staff are always friendly and very helpful and the resort is situated in a great location with restaurants, cafes and shops all around and the beach is only a few steps away.
The rooms are comfortable and very clean and have everything you need.The resort also has a nice feel to it - much better than those high rises!!
When mum stays there on her own the staff make sure she is well looked after so I know she is in safe hands!
I would highly recommend it and look forward to coming back!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank 959gold
Gold Coast
Reviewed 27 September 2011

To my surprise once arriving at the resort and walking thru to the courtyard it was a great little resort. I was very happy with my room considering the age but had everything I required.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I recently stayed at St Tropez with my partner; on arrival it was obvious that few of the advertised features of the resort were actually up and running- the website facilities list a spa (which was empty and had an ‘under maintenance’ sign on it) and a sauna (which had been turned into a staff store room) and undercover secure parking (which was shared with majority of close businesses and permanent residents therefore left us fighting for a car park each time we chose to leave the apartment- one time we even had to park in the local shopping centre car park and pay for parking)
As for the images on the website, I thought we had walked into the wrong ‘resort’ as in real life it looks nothing like the photos- I suppose they were taken when the resort was first built which would have to be many years ago. After being abruptly asked for a $200 bond which we weren’t made aware of prior to arrival, we were asked how many sets of keys we were after-which was pointless as there was only 1 set after all. We dragged our suit cases up 2 flights of stairs to our room- my stomach dropped when we opened the door to reveal a dim lit dump with an overpowering mouldy smell. On immediate observation these things were apparent: holes in the walls where pictures once hung, mismatched furniture some of which was broken, thick dust on lamps and other furniture, main lounge room/dining room light was blown, stained curtains in the lounge room and an uncomfortable rock hard bed. Since having saved up on a low income to pay for this almost $800 (+ $200 bond) 7 night stay, I was gutted and resulted to crying. After having unpacked and convincing myself that we had no other choice but to stay I had calmed down and tried to warm to the place. The first night was humid so we had to drag the mattress out from the bedroom into the lounge room in front of the air-conditioner- we woke up the next morning to a broken fridge (which had all of the groceries including dairy products and meat we had purchased the day before- now all spoiled) and a broken air-conditioner which just shut off mid functioning leaving us sweltering. My partner was looking at the cooling system outside when he found a used condom next to the unit- this was the last straw. I went to reception to alert them of all the issues we woke up to and was cut short and told that someone would be up soon to look at them- to which I asked if there were any other rooms that we could be moved to as I was highly unimpressed with the state of the current room which we had to spend another 6 nights in. The receptionist found us another 1 bedroom room with an air-conditioner but demanded a $50.00 cleaning fee due to an early departure from the first room. Normally I would have argued the cost and stated that it would’ve been nice for the first room to have been cleaned prior to our arrival in the first place or perhaps once in the last year- but I was offered another room and was afraid of losing it! The next room was on the bottom level on a different side of the ‘resort’ and had a much better appearance and was definitely cleaner which made for a more pleasant stay for the remainder of our time there, although I still wouldn’t recommend these apartments to anyone nor will I ever book through the Break Free company again. Oh and just to add to it, because we paid the surprise $200 bond in cash- the receptionist was clueless as to how they were going to refund it once the room had been viewed- and then decided to write down my partners bank details and told us they would have to deposit it into his account- which we still have yet to receive- overall I’m horribly disappointed.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple