My wife and I spent 7 nights here in April, and then 3 at Breakfree Peninsula, which gave us an interesting perspective on what these places offer, especially considering what other reviewers are saying about these places individually. Getting Crown Towers on a stay-7-pay-for-5 deal made this excellent value for money. Hence, while I feel an accurate rating would be 3.5 / 5, I am rounding up to 4 points (rather than down to 3 as we have in our Breakfree Peninsula review). Key factors were a/ the "resort" atmosphere, with the lagoon pool and big lobby area, and the quality of the apartment, which was better than our one at Peninsula despite costing us less.
We were VERY nervous based on recent reviews. I almost cancelled our booking based on those reviews, but ultimately lack of choice and high prices during school holidays, plus the 5+2 deal, swayed us to go ahead. I also emailed Mantra directly with concerns, and they gave me reassurance our apartment would be clean and tidy.
While we were very disappointed to have a south-facing room with no sun or sea views, we were still pleasantly surprised that the room was quite decent. I'd say recently renovated - huge 50inch HD TV with DVD player, looked recently painted inside, decor not bad, very good bed, furniture was in good condition and looked fairly new, as did the kitchen appliances and excellent whiteware in the laundry. There were still signs of age - tiled floors and bathroom especially, which looked tired, and some of the furnishings. The floors seemed unswept, but we didn't suffer the kind of cleanliness issues other reviewers have experienced. Overall, we were happy with the apartment, and after staying at the other property, we appreciated the Crown Towers much more.
Our pros and cons with the Crown Towers:
- Great resort atmosphere, which is missing from most other apartment properties. The big lobby, with places to eat, wide spaces, couches and proper reception area made it feel like a classy hotel. With the great lagoon pool area, it really did feel like a holiday resort rather than just a place to sleep and store your luggage. We suggest people take this into consideration when comparing to other similarly-priced properties which are just apartment buildings and little more.
- Wonderful big lagoon pool area with sandy shore and lots of loungers - excellent feature (although water was FAR too cold - see CONS)
- Excellent and friendly front desk service, in our experience. They called my mobile to let me know when the room was ready (Peninsula won't do this). A request for maintenance (dripping tap) was quickly addressed.
- Spacious apartment, especially master bedroom and bathroom - heaps of space
- Very comfy bed, with what seemed like a quality new mattress
- Excellent whiteware, both fridge and laundry
- Good location, short walk from Cavill or beach, and close to bus stops
- Good gym facility, better than I expected
- Huge HD TV and DVD player a bonus
- Air con cooled the rooms well when needed
- Lagoon pool water was absurdly cold - this is not an exaggeration! Every person stepping into the water was visibly shocked (many turned back), and you could hear people saying how ridiculous it was. The ocean was MUCH warmer even in April. Seems like a waste of a great feature, and unfortunately this factor alone could prevent us from going back, since the pool was a big factor in our decision to stay there.
- Room floors didn't seem to have been swept or vacuumed when we arrived - grit all over the wooden floors which stuck to our feet
- All the taps dripped or had other issues
- Duvet was ancient and should have been replaced long ago
- Parts of the apartment looked visibly aged and in need of replacement or renovation. Kitchen/bathroom floors, and the curtains in particular - they only covered 80% of the glass frontage in the lounge
- Floor boards were lifting and squeaked noisily in places.
- All we were given was 6 bent thin wire coathangers - for a purported 4.5 star place, this is absolutely unacceptable! Decent coathangers, and more of them please!!
- Doormats would have been very useful at the entrance and balcony, given the floors tend to get gritty
- South side views are ok (back to central Surfers) but zero sun, almost no sea view, and there is a lot of noise from the bungy slingshot and vomitron amusepark park area. we got used to it, but some would find this annoying.
- Hot water from taps is absolutely scalding, beware of this if you have kids
So there were plenty of downsides here, but overall we felt the value for money made this a good option. If only for the freezing water in the lagoon pool, we'd definitely consider returning. What I would say too is that I can't see how the property is 4.5 star, once you get to the rooms that is. It felt like 4 stars, maximum. Having said that, the Breakfree Peninsula was 4 stars but felt like 3.5, and we paid more per night than at the Crown Towers, so in comparison it wasn't bad. Fact is, many of the Surfers apartments are old - yes, Crown Towers has been around a while, but so have most of the competing properties. Don't expect flash, new and shiny, and I think it's important to have realistic expectations whichever place choose.
Based solely on our experience, Crown Towers deserves better than some of its recent feedback. While there are plenty of faults, we think if management will act on some of the suggestions from us and other reviewers, Crown Towers will move quickly back up the rankings again, since it has a lot to offer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast, Mantra Crown Towers offers a wide range of leisure facilities perfect for a family holiday, short break or weekend away. Children are well catered for at the resort, which features a lagoon style pool with its own pirate ship, waterslide and sandy beach, as well as a games room and children's playground. The Resort's leisure facilities also include a 15 metre indoor heated pool, spa, sauna, fully equipped gymnasium and on-site restaurants, including the award-winning Chiangmai Thai, all within the comfort of the resort. Mantra Crown Towers offers a range of spacious accommodation options including One, Two and Three Bedroom Apartments. All apartments are fully self contained with kitchen and laundry facilities, and feature their own private balcony with many offering ocean views. Just 100m from Surfers Paradise beach and 500m to the cafe and restaurant precinct of Cavill Avenue, you are amongst all the action. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Mantra Crown Towers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crown Towers Hotel Surfers Paradise
- Crown Hotel Surfers Paradise
- Crown Resort All Inclusive
- Mantra Crown Towers Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast, Australia