“"Resort" feel gives Crown Towers an edge over other apartments”

Mantra Crown Towers
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My wife and I spent 7 nights here in April, and then 3 at Breakfree Peninsula, which gave us an interesting perspective on what these places offer, especially considering what other reviewers are saying about these places individually. Getting Crown Towers on a stay-7-pay-for-5 deal made this excellent value for money. Hence, while I feel an accurate rating would be 3.5 / 5, I am rounding up to 4 points (rather than down to 3 as we have in our Breakfree Peninsula review). Key factors were a/ the "resort" atmosphere, with the lagoon pool and big lobby area, and the quality of the apartment, which was better than our one at Peninsula despite costing us less.

We were VERY nervous based on recent reviews. I almost cancelled our booking based on those reviews, but ultimately lack of choice and high prices during school holidays, plus the 5+2 deal, swayed us to go ahead. I also emailed Mantra directly with concerns, and they gave me reassurance our apartment would be clean and tidy.

While we were very disappointed to have a south-facing room with no sun or sea views, we were still pleasantly surprised that the room was quite decent. I'd say recently renovated - huge 50inch HD TV with DVD player, looked recently painted inside, decor not bad, very good bed, furniture was in good condition and looked fairly new, as did the kitchen appliances and excellent whiteware in the laundry. There were still signs of age - tiled floors and bathroom especially, which looked tired, and some of the furnishings. The floors seemed unswept, but we didn't suffer the kind of cleanliness issues other reviewers have experienced. Overall, we were happy with the apartment, and after staying at the other property, we appreciated the Crown Towers much more.

Our pros and cons with the Crown Towers:

PROS:
- Great resort atmosphere, which is missing from most other apartment properties. The big lobby, with places to eat, wide spaces, couches and proper reception area made it feel like a classy hotel. With the great lagoon pool area, it really did feel like a holiday resort rather than just a place to sleep and store your luggage. We suggest people take this into consideration when comparing to other similarly-priced properties which are just apartment buildings and little more.
- Wonderful big lagoon pool area with sandy shore and lots of loungers - excellent feature (although water was FAR too cold - see CONS)
- Excellent and friendly front desk service, in our experience. They called my mobile to let me know when the room was ready (Peninsula won't do this). A request for maintenance (dripping tap) was quickly addressed.
- Spacious apartment, especially master bedroom and bathroom - heaps of space
- Very comfy bed, with what seemed like a quality new mattress
- Excellent whiteware, both fridge and laundry
- Good location, short walk from Cavill or beach, and close to bus stops
- Good gym facility, better than I expected
- Huge HD TV and DVD player a bonus
- Air con cooled the rooms well when needed

CONS:
- Lagoon pool water was absurdly cold - this is not an exaggeration! Every person stepping into the water was visibly shocked (many turned back), and you could hear people saying how ridiculous it was. The ocean was MUCH warmer even in April. Seems like a waste of a great feature, and unfortunately this factor alone could prevent us from going back, since the pool was a big factor in our decision to stay there.
- Room floors didn't seem to have been swept or vacuumed when we arrived - grit all over the wooden floors which stuck to our feet
- All the taps dripped or had other issues
- Duvet was ancient and should have been replaced long ago
- Parts of the apartment looked visibly aged and in need of replacement or renovation. Kitchen/bathroom floors, and the curtains in particular - they only covered 80% of the glass frontage in the lounge
- Floor boards were lifting and squeaked noisily in places.
- All we were given was 6 bent thin wire coathangers - for a purported 4.5 star place, this is absolutely unacceptable! Decent coathangers, and more of them please!!
- Doormats would have been very useful at the entrance and balcony, given the floors tend to get gritty
- South side views are ok (back to central Surfers) but zero sun, almost no sea view, and there is a lot of noise from the bungy slingshot and vomitron amusepark park area. we got used to it, but some would find this annoying.
- Hot water from taps is absolutely scalding, beware of this if you have kids

So there were plenty of downsides here, but overall we felt the value for money made this a good option. If only for the freezing water in the lagoon pool, we'd definitely consider returning. What I would say too is that I can't see how the property is 4.5 star, once you get to the rooms that is. It felt like 4 stars, maximum. Having said that, the Breakfree Peninsula was 4 stars but felt like 3.5, and we paid more per night than at the Crown Towers, so in comparison it wasn't bad. Fact is, many of the Surfers apartments are old - yes, Crown Towers has been around a while, but so have most of the competing properties. Don't expect flash, new and shiny, and I think it's important to have realistic expectations whichever place choose.

Based solely on our experience, Crown Towers deserves better than some of its recent feedback. While there are plenty of faults, we think if management will act on some of the suggestions from us and other reviewers, Crown Towers will move quickly back up the rankings again, since it has a lot to offer.

Room Tip: North facing would probably be best, and definitely ask for a renovated room on a higher floor with...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank coralkiwi
MantraCrownTowers, Manager at Mantra Crown Towers, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Thankyou for taking the time to post such a detailed review on Trip Advisor. I was very pleased to read your comments relating to the resort style atmosphere we provide here at Crown Towers. Our property is truly unique and this is certainly one of the reasons our guests return time after time. Our front desk team are also extremely committed to delivering friendly and sincere service to all our guests, this has been a focus area of late and it is great to see their efforts paying off. Again thankyou for the feedback and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the property soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,415)

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Mum, dad and two boys 5 and 6.
Purchased this stay through Wotif mystery deal (never again), when I was informed of the hotel and went straight to trip advisor - reviews highlighted the aged decor[e] and dirty conditions.
Upon arrival the foyer looked fantastic - like all other places they like to get first impressions right - and this basically where it ended.
Entering the room we were confronted with a room that was definately not 4.5 stars, 3.5 at best. Carpets were visibily filthy, candy wrappers under the sofas and in cupboards, uneaten chocolate easter eggs under the beds. Coffee and food stains on the kitchen benches. The sofa was of several colours (as per attached photo) - the sheer curtains had stains over them. The showers had mould all over them as well.
I contacted Wotif and complained about their definition within the booking site, they they just go off what the hotel is rated. The rep at Wotif contacted the hotel and was informed the manager would attend our room to view the issues. The manager just called via the telephone and gave no joy other than having a cleaning staff return to clean the room. They cleaned the main open areas and left the rest.
The manager - Darren - informed us the hotel was only rated 4 star; contrary to their own website and Wotif which highlighted it as 4.5 stars. He also advised us we were lucky to get this room as it had a Mantra refurnishment recently and the other rooms were not nearly as nice [I would have hated to stay in those rooms].
The bed was very firm - but we love a firm matteress. The road noise was very loud by night - all night, numerous sirens and the road noise increased when the roadway was wet.
We did not hear any other noises from hotel guests but I do not think there was many guests anyway.
The pool was impressive, but a bit cool during our stay. We could not fault the rest of the complex, but the room was below average. It was close to everything 5 minute walk to Cavill Ave. 1 minute to the beach. The Thai restuarant in the complex was sensational - a little $$$$, but the food was fantastic - they do have takeaway not room service -and if you wish to dine in, book. (We got there early 5.30pm without a booking and they just asked us to be finished before 7.30pm) No alternative's for kids who don't like Thai food.
TV channels limited, basic channels only. No WIFI. No DVD player, I had a potable DVD player however was unable to connect it the main TV - and if you are asking - yes we need a DVD player to give us parents a bit of a break. A stereo I found when we were leaving hidden in a kitchen cupboard.

I would not recommend this hotel to friends.

1  Thank Bomshanka

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us at Crown Towers Resort. We are disappointed to read that your stay did not meet expectations. All of our rooms are strata titled which mean that every room is owned by a different owner and the furniture and bedding belongs to them which does vary between each unit. Please be assured that your feedback has been passed on to the appropriate people to ensure we overcome these short falls moving forward. On a positive note it was pleasing to hear that your family did enjoy the facilities through out and the position in which our resort is located.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We just got back from a three night stay at the Mantra Crown Towers Resort Surfers Paradise. We booked a 3bedroom apartment for our family of 5 through Discover Queensland. I must say that after we had booked I was pretty worried when I read reviews on Tripadvisor. My main concern was turning up and finding an apartment that was outdated and with no air-conditioning. To allay my fears I rang the hotel directly and spoke to the reservations department. I spoke with a very nice woman who advised that yes you did need to request aircon. Whilst I had her on the phone I expressed my concern about getting a refurbished room also. I must say that whilst she did not guarantee these request, she was very understanding of my concerns. I also put a call into Discovery Qld with these requests. I am not sure who did what but when we turned up and opened our apartment door we were blown away! Our apartment on the 12 floor was extremely spacious, clean and well furnished. Whilst kitchen and bathrooms were probably original the carpets, bedrooms furnishing etc were all modern. The balcony was like what you would expect from a penthouse...two dining entertaining areas and beautiful views ( these size balconies are unique to level 12 ) The beds were a little on the firm side but apart from that we were pretty impressed. Our kids 14, 12 and 3 all enjoyed the pool areas ( it was great having a heated indoor pool). The Thai restuarant was nice and the resort is well located. We found the staff very friendly. We would definately would rebook ...especially if we could guarantee getting that same room again!

Room Tip: Definately put your requests directly with the hotel!
2  Thank Julie M

Thank you for the positive feedback on your recent stay with us at Crown Towers Resort. We pride ourselves on our spacious apartments and fantastic facilities and I am pleased that you enjoyed these aspects of your stay. No doubt the team will be thrilled to read your comments and I will ensure the appropriate team members are recognised. Again many thanks for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Crown Towers Resort in the near future.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

We stayed at Crown Towers Resort two adults and two children, 5 year old and a teenager.
The location was great, walking distance to everything you need & to the main shops and the beach.
The pools were amazing, the heated indoor pool & spa was a bonus to the massive outdoor fresh lagoon pool and the kid’s pool had a pirate ship and waterslide this was my son’s favourite place to be.
I booked the room with a private owner called Barry from Stayz and it was modern clean and had all Foxtell channels, nice room with kitchen, laundry and nice bathrooms. We were very happy and impressed the resort itself is lovely and modern and friendly & the staff do not hassle you.
We have stayed at many other places on the gold coast and this place was our favourite.
It was private and quite yet right near the action opposite the adrenalin park and close to the mini golf place and shops and one block from the surf beach with Lifesaving swim flags. We went to Dreamworld and the bus stops right near the resort it is very convenient location.
The Thai restaurant was divine the food was lovely that is must.
I am happy to say next time my family return to the gold coast I know I will be staying at Crown Towers Resort we loved it and the pool was the best pool.
Wish the outdoor lagoon pool was a little warmer but in the hot summer months it would be perfect”

Room Tip: Book Privately owned room if you can
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
MantraCrownTowers, Manager at Mantra Crown Towers, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Thankyou for sharing details on your experience at Crown Towers, it was great to read that your family had a fantastic stay at our resort. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom appartment on the 23rd floor Easter long week-end 2012. Was very disappointed with the room, hasn't been updated since the early 90's by the looks of it, non smoking room with burn holes in the dining room chairs. Doesn't even have digital television which was VERY disappointing, the reception on both TVs were discusting. Apart from that the children absolutely loved the pool facilities, the service was brilliant & the coffee shop downstairs serves up a sensational coffee & bacon & egg breakie!!

1  Thank Kerri W
MantraCrownTowers, Manager at Mantra Crown Towers, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, we appreciate all types of feedback to better service our guests. As Crown Towers is strata titled, all apartments vary with regards to style and decor however we are in the process of updating TV’s in all our apartments. I am glad to hear your family enjoyed the pool facilities along with breakfast at Flux Cafe. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to the Gold Coast.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Sadly the staff are so rude here they ruined our stay. We had an incorrect charge on our account which we accidently paid. When I called up about it later I was yelled at by both the reception staff and then the front desk manager. I was spoken over the top of and VERY aggressively told I was wrong. I was very polite and I certainly didn't like being spoken to like that.
The rooms are ok, outdated and a bit grubby - poorly patched holes in the walls and stained furniture and carpets. The pool is great for kids and location close to the beach.

3  Thank ArchR
MantraCrownTowers, Manager at Mantra Crown Towers, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. We are sorry if you felt our staff were rude in responding to your dispute of the charge for the cot. Our records show the cot was requested prior to arrival via an email direct to the resort from your brother and this was placed in the room for your arrival. Upon checkout of the hotel, the charge was explained to your brother by our front desk staff to which he had paid. If the cot was not required in your room upon arrival, our staff would have been more than happy to remove this from the room and remove the charge from your account. Once again we apologise if you felt our staff were rude in explaining the charge applicable for the cot ordered to you.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

My sons and their partners and I stayed here for an extended long weekend at the end of March. We had a 3 bedroom apartment on the 20th floor looking straight onto the beach. The room was great. Spacious, comfortable beds, fully equipped kitchen and very quiet. We couldn't hear doors banging or other people stomping around like you can hear in some places.

The hotel staff were great - friendly and helpful. Security is excellent - you need a tag to get in and out. The Thai restaurant on site is a must do. This would have to be the best Thai restaurant I have been to and reasonably priced. Make sure you book though.

I have booked in again for a week at Christmas. That says it all really.

Room Tip: The ocean view is superb if you can get one.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MissMNorthQueensland

Many thanks for your fantastic feedback on your recent stay with us. We are pleased that our friendly staff were able to assist you with any requests during your stay and our building security met your expectations to ensure you feel safe during their time with us. What is even more pleasing is that you have already booked in again for your Christmas holiday with us and we look forward to welcoming you back for another fantastic stay with us.