“Nice location but no good service”
Review of Q1 Resort and Spa

Q1 Resort and Spa
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 6 May 2011

I read some bad reviews about this hotel so I was kind of hesitate when I booked it. But the deal I got was very good ($150 per night) so I thought I would give it a try partly because it is the tallest building in Australia.

When we got to our unit 1203, I was surprised at how clean and nice it was. Everything was in excellent condition. I guess I was lucky. The view was part ocean and part city. It was not perfect but not bad at all. The hotel is located very close to beach and not too far from city center (5 to 10 min walk). The outdoor swimming pools are nice but the indoor one is small and dark. So far so good, right? Here comes the bad part. The room cleaning service is extremely bad! The first day is not too bad, at least they changed towels and made the bed. The next day my younger boy had a nose bleed so the bed sheet was a little stained. When we came back at night, not only they didn't change the sheet, they didn't even make the bed. The only thing we noticed that they did was a pile of new towels. The floor was dirty and garbage buckets still full! In addition, people at front desk were not too bad but did not make you feel like welcome.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank JennyYu_hsv
MantraQ1, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2011

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,

We appreciate your time posting your review, we do see your feedback as an important tool to constantly improve our services.

We are glad to hear that you were surprised and happy with your apartment and the location of the building. The housekeeping issues that you have reported have been forwarded and action has been taken within the department to guarantee the room service standards.

It would be a pleasure to welcome back to the resort on a future opportunity.

Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,687)

Reviewed 28 April 2011

We stayed in a one bedroom ocean view apartment for 3 nights. They didn't start well, when our room wasn't ready for us when we were checking in at 2.10pm. We had to wait until about 2:40pm, and given it was a Thursday, we can't quite believe they were that busy they couldn't get the rooms done in time....and we weren't the only people waiting either.

That initial frustration faded when we enetered our room... the room was modern and very very spacious. The view was fantastic, the bathroom great and the kitchen well equipped. One very odd thing though... for a 4.5 star hotel, it's TV's were from 2001... tube TV's, and the reception on them was not great either.

As for the facilities, the pool area, gym, restaurants were all 1st class. We had a massage at the day spa and it was one of the best we have ever had.

One other thing that really frustrated us was, on the first afternoon we reported our spa in the bathroom as not working..... and we did the same the next day.... and nothing got done about it.... so that was very poor form in my book.

Overall we would love to stay here again sometime.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheClarkeClan
MantraQ1, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.
I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Q1 Resort and Spa, and that you especially enjoyed your apartment,our fantastic facilities and Day Spa.
I will be sure to pass on your feedback regarding the waiting time for check in and the issue with your spa bath to the relevant departments.

We look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed 28 April 2011

It has taken me many months to submit this review as I made a complaint to the hotel (and the booking agency) and am yet to receive a response. I booked a penthouse apartment at Q1 for 3 nights over Christmas as a gift for parents and sister. It was the first time we had spent Christmas together for more than 20 years. I cannot tell you how disappointed I was. Firstly let me say that the front desk staff were lovely and extremely accommodating. The issue was the room. We had a 3 br apartment for which I paid in excess of $800 per night. I don't mind the fact that I paid that kind of money - it was Christmas, it was a late booking, and I was very much looking forward to the adventure of staying in such classy accommodation. Except it wasn't.

It was clear to me within the first five minutes of entering the room that it is allowed to be booked by the school leavers who descend on the Gold Coast at the end of every school year. The lounge suite was broken and stained to the point where I really didn't want to sit on it! The walls had clearly been dealt some harsh treatment and were in need of repainting, and no attempt had been made to fix a broken blind in the third bedroom which provided privacy from the loungeroom to the bedroom. Whilst self contained, the apartment lacked some basics such as cooking knives capable of actually cutting anything, and the crockery and glassware provided was no matching (a small thing, I know, but I was paying a LOT of money!). The poor condition of the oven and the cooking trays had been disguised by aluminium foil wrapped around everything and the apartment was only serviced once in the 3 days we were there.

There is far better quality accommodation available on the Coast for a much more acceptable price. I will NEVER stay at Q1 again, nor would I recommend it to anyone who is interested in anything other than average accommodation in a fancy looking and over priced building.

And 5 months later, I still haven't received a response from building management to my complaint!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank Theamazingmisssharon
MantraQ1, Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2011

Mantra Resorts are the onsite letting agents and resident Resort managers at Q Resort controlling approximately 40% of the apartments at Q1. By your feedback we have determined that you actually booked and stayed with an off-site letting agent, not with Mantra Resorts as the resident Resort managers. Q1 Resort and Spa does not manage the penthouse or any of the Sub-Penthouses that you mentioned in your review. Unfortunately I have absolutely no control in the standards within apartments at Q1 that are not under Mantra Resorts management. However on behalf of all owners at Q1 Resort, I do apologise that you stay was not to your expectations. Further I recommend that next time you stay at Q1 Resort & Spa, you consider booking direct with our onsite reservations department. This then allows my own resident Resort management team to ensure your stay meets, and actually exceeds your expectations, as we do with our Mantra Resorts guests daily.

Kind Regards

Melissa Papp
Front Office Manager
Q1 Resort & Spa

Reviewed 25 April 2011

My Partner and I just stayed over the long Easter weekend and we will not be back. As a travel agent, I rely on my own experiences to advocate hotels to others but I can safely say that I will not be recommending this hotel to any of my clients. The room was filthy. Not only did the lounges have stains all over them, the 'fresh' towels we were given were also stained and smelt. The bathroom hadn't been cleaned properly - the bath had blue stains down all the sides. The floor was not vacuumed and there was several white marks all over the carpet. The glass wear and dishes were not washed properly and had grime and fingermarks all over them - we had to re-wash everything before using it. Additionally, on our second night, we came back home to our apartment smelling of burning smoke. We called the front desk and we were told that they were at capacity and would not be moving us. They sent up a machine for 2 hours which did make the smell easier, however did not remove the cause. The burning smokey smell was still there on our check out the next day and nothing was arranged to compensate us on this. Considering that this '4 star' room retailed at over $1000+ over that long weekend, it was an absolute disgrace. I will not be recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Miss-Snowhite
MantraQ1, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback regarding your recent experience with us.

We regret the shortcomings you have reported, this is not our usual standard and the mentioned issues have been addressed with the relevant department. Unfortunately we were not able to move you to another apartment due to the high occupancy over the period of your stay, but we do hope that in the future we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Q1 Resort and Spa to rectify your concerns and exceed your expectations.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 24 April 2011

We spent just one night at QI, and we were very disappointed with what we expected was going to be a lovely break in a 4.5 star apartment. We paid $380 through wotif.com for a 2 br apartment, and at that price, our expectations were high. Sadly, it failed to live up to these. Points below:
1) Price didn't include access to the observatory deck on the top floor ($20 per person to use a separate elevator and gain access to what I'm sure are wonderful views)
2) Sofa bed unbelievably uncomfortable - We had to ring down for the extra bed we requested, and paid extra for, at 9.30pm. The mattress was full of springs with a thin veil of foam to cover it...in the end our 12 yr old slept on the lounge
3) Upon remaking the bed on the lounge, we discovered about 12 very old and mouldy grapes behind the cushions
4) Very old TV's (no flat screens as advertised)
5) Some strange substance, possibly old rice bubbles on the floor of the enclosed balcony
6) Very tired and stained furniture, holes and marks on the walls
7) Pillows like rocks, however the bed was very comfortable
8) Old and basic cooking appliances (bashed up toaster!)
9) Reception area looked a little like a building site, with the pool empty, orange plastic fencing and broken lights throughout - we asked the girl at reception about it and she said ' oh yeah, it's been like that for a while - I dont know why'
10) Extra cost to use pool towels
11) Extra cost to use Wi Fi
Luckily we spent barely anytime in the room..It basically looks like no-one is seriously monitoring these apartments. If I was an investor, I'd be worried. .All in all, very disappointing. We won't be returning

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Libval

We would like to thank you for the feedback in relation to your stay with us. Be assured that we appreciate guests’ reviews as we see them as an important reference to continuously improve our service standards.

We regret that your stay did not live up to your expectations in terms of the furniture in the unit. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused by the empty lagoon in the lobby. The external glass panels replacement work requires the water pond to be emptied and due to health and safety policies the fencing of the area is also needed.

We sincerely apologize that your expectations were not met during your stay, but we do hope that in the near future we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the resort and rectifying the shortfalls you last experienced.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Top quality hotel. Amazing views and location spot on. Would recommend.

• Stayed: April 2011

Thank you for choosing to stay with us.
I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at Q1 Resort and Spa and we look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 21 April 2011

I was hesitant to stay at Q1 as I had read some very bad reviews on here, However the very cheap deal for a 1 bedroom apartment was too good to pass up. I was more than happy with everything. I was at first disappointed to find out we were only on the 9th floor, but to my surprise the view was still amazing. The apartment itself was very modern and clean and everything was in good working order. We didn't spend a lot of time at the pool as it rained heavily for most of our stay, but on the 2 occasions we did it was great. If you're staying here make a point of going to the top floor Qdeck, absolutely breathtaking views. It was a quick stroll to Cavill Ave, handy to everything. I found all the front desk staff to be very pleasant and if I had another opportunity to get low rates again (i could never afford the normal rates) I'd definately stay again. And the room had a mini service done every day. The only thing I didn't like was the smell in the hallways, but I think it was insecticide so I'd rather that than creepy crawlies.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank akjacko

Thank you for your positive feedback on your recent stay I will certainly share your comments with the team. I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and I sincerely look forward to welcoming you back when you next have the opportunity to visit.