“The dream hotel with horrible reception services.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Q1 Resort and Spa

Q1 Resort and Spa
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
“The dream hotel with horrible reception services.”
Reviewed 25 June 2011

my partner and I stayed on the 24th floor. it was perfect and just what was on the websites and all. the had a messing up with my accommodation what it included but I always bring back up documents so make sure you do. the hotel was amazing but the reception were absolute pigs. didn't aknowledge us at all and at all times never noticed we were their. just another number for them which has really put me off staying at the q1 again. amazing views need to be from 20th floor up though. overall loved q1 everything we imagined, but staff definitely need to get out !

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank leash23x
Dear Trip advisor reviewer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know your concerns after your recent stay at Q1 Resort & Spa. We genuinely appreciate the feedback we receive from guests and use it proactively to improve the level of service we offer. Whilst I understand that you experienced some service shortfalls, I trust that you still did enjoy your stay with us.

I am concerned to read that you felt our reception staff were unfriendly toward you, we have recently engaged in guest service training for all of our Front Office staff and are ensuring all Q1 Resort and Spas employees focus on guests and thier needs as our most important priority. I trust that the next time you stay with us, you will see a vast improvement in this.

I can assure you that these matters have been thoroughly investigated and addressed with the relevant department and their team. As a result we have adopted a more strict and thorough procedure to ensure we meet and exceed the expectations of our valued guests and clients.
If there is anything further that you wish to discuss, please do not hesitate to contact me.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Q1 Resort & Spa.

Q1 Resort & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2011

We booked in here one night for the view, as friends had had a room up on the high levels and the view was magic. Our booking stated we would have a great view. We did have a view of the ocean, but it was the same as any standard low level building on the Gold Coast. It was an absolute waste of money. Even though there were rooms available on higher floors, staff would not move us.

We were informed that the bookings had to be shared between upper and lower level rooms so all owners were looked after - too bad about the customers!

Unless they give you a written guarantee that you will be on one of the high level floors- do not waste your money if you are going for a spectacular view. If you don't care about having a great view, then it is a pleasant place to stay.

I gave this place 3 stars because the room was spacious and pleasant and there was a minor (but ordinary) ocean view, and the pool was nice- although the bathroom was not as clean as it should have been. But since we booked the hotel room purely for the view (as we live nearby), and we had the same view as from any other 4 level hotel, it was a massive dissapointment.

We used the Spa there and my partner said the massage was average.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank misstravel39
MantraQ1, Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
29th June 2011

Dear Trip Advisor reviewer,

I would like to express my sincere apologies that you did not enjoy every aspect of your stay. I appreciate that you felt the apartment was spacious and pleasant and I do acknowledge that the cleanliness of the bathroom was not up to your expectations.

Q1 Resort and Spa does not offer written guarantees that bookings will be on a higher level. Whilst we understand that people request this at point of booking and on check in, on some occasions due to availability we are not always able to grant these requests. Room moves are also subject to availability and we always do our best to accommodate requests whenever we can.

If there is any thing further that you wish to discuss please do not hesitate to contact me.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Q1 Resort & Spa.

Canberra
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Stayed 2 nights in 1BR appartment. Great views and service. The resort facilities are first class and the spa is a must. The only negative was the wall had alot of marks and needed a repaint and the sofas were quite tired. I would recommend this resort, especially if you can get a good discount on the list price.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MikeCanberra
MantraQ1, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
Dear trip advisor reviewer,
I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Q1 Resort & Spa, we are indeed proud of our resort facilities and spa and it is a pleasure to know that you were happy with the service provided.

In regards to your comments about the walls and sofas, these have been reported to the appropriate department.

It would be a pleasure welcoming you back at the resort in the near future!

Kind regards.
Melbourne
Reviewed 16 June 2011

We stayed 2 nights here with a 9 & 11 year old and had a good time. There are 3 pools (1 heated) and a games room. There is also a private cinema where you can watch a DVD on the big screen. The staff were helpful and the location is great. Stroll to the end of the street and you're at the beach. Five minutes down the road and you're at Cavil Mall. All very convenient and comfortable.
Incredible views from the ocean view rooms!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Melb-4
Dear Trip Advisor reviewer,

Thankyou for your recent review. Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know your concerns after your recent stay at Q1 Resort & Spa. We genuinely appreciate the feedback we receive from guests and use it proactively to improve the level of service we offer.
I am pleased that you made the most of our wonderful facilities and that you enjoyed the convenience of our location.

We look forward to welcomming you back to Q1 again soon!

Murwillumbah, Australia
Reviewed 1 June 2011

My family and I stayed in room 3408 on Friday 27th May, and had originally booked for 2 nights.
On arrival we checked in and the reception staff (Amanda in particular) were lovely and very helpful. We were travelling with 2 toddlers under 3 and a 6 week old baby and therefore needed to take a lot of things with us for our 2 night stay and on arrival there were no luggage trolleys to help make this easier. My husband had to do 3 or 4 trips to and from the car because of this.
When we got to our room we noticed it was lovely, however the couches were a bit grubby and marked and the televisions in both the lounge room and bedroom were the old boxy tv's not flat screen tv's as you'd expect in a resort which is supposed to be considered "luxury". We went to put on a dvd for our children, however the dvd player wasn't even connected. My husband spent 15 mintues fiddling with this so that our son could watch the Wiggles.
The pay tv channels were extremely basic, no movie channels could be found, even though they had the tv guide for these channels and the reception was awful!
We ended up checking out the next day, and have written to the hotel requesting a refund for the second night due to the issues with our stay, but no one has bothered to reply to our email. Very disappointing. We got a special rate which was supposed to include a $50 spa voucher but no one gave us one. Here are a few issues we found with our stay -

* We tried to run a bath for the kids, yet the water just dribbled out and after 10 minutes of running the water, the bath tub was about 1/8 full. So in the end we ended up having to shower them.
* We were only supplied with 2 towels, even though we specified that we had 2 infants with us, so luckily i had packed towels for them just in case.
* The oven was in the dining area and the knobs to turn this on and off were at childrens eye level, i found this out as my 2 year old was trying to turn the oven on. Not very safe for the children, or for the hotel.
* The sofa bed was extremely uncomfortable. You could feel every single spring in the mattress and my children (even with their low weights) couldn't get comfortable on it, and didn't get to sleep until past midnight and were up at 5am after a restless night.
* The main bed, we were under the impression in such a fancy hotel that it would be either a queen sized bed or a king size bed, however it were 2 very tiny single beds pushed together. Making this more of a double and was very hard to sleep as we had a newborn (6 week old) baby with us and as he sleeps with mummy, my husband had to sleep on the couch just so that the baby and i could sleep, and nurse in that bed without one of us ending up in the crack of the 2 beds. My husband refused to sleep on the other sofa bed after seeing how uncomfortable the one the toddlers were on, so he too slept uncomfortably all night.
* Then the biggest issue and security concern for my family and I were that the door handles to the entrance of the room were actually so low that my 3 year old could unlock and open the door. There was no deadlock or anything, and this is a big concern for me, and a main factor as to why we couldn't relax the one night we were there. But worry that our children would escape from the apartment whilst we were sleeping. We had to move the poof stool in front of the door so that this wouldn't happen.

I would not recommend staying at this resort if you have children no matter how good the rate is.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank rach2484
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know your concerns after your recent stay at Q1 Resort & Spa. We genuinely appreciate the feedback we receive from guests and use it proactively to improve the level of service we offer. Whilst I understand that you experienced some inconveniences, I trust that you still did enjoy your stay in Surfers Paradise.

I would like to apologise for the Lack of trolleys upon arrival, we have purchased an additional trolley recently so that this should not happen again. The DVD player should have indeed. been hooked up to the TV properly. I am concerned to read that you did not find our bedding to be as comfortable as you expected. I am sorry also about your perception that the apartments are not child friendly and that some door handles and devices are at a hieght that some children can reach. Whilst all our fixtures and furnishings are compliant with Queensland law and building codes, I understand how a parent may be concerned.

UK
Reviewed 23 May 2011

We stayed on the 56th floor as a treat from a friend. Amazing views across surfers. Great Value - $360 which slept 6 adults. Spa bath in master bedroom. Gym, Pool everything you would need. Observation deck for $15 with $15 worth of free drinks. Slap bang in surfers but still quiet!

Room Tip: The higher the better!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank uk_pez
MantraQ1, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 29 May 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Q1 Resort and Spa.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the resort!

Kind regards
New Zealand
Reviewed 21 May 2011

Having traveled the world for 40 years, apartment 4506 managed by Private Apartments Q1 Resort was without doubt the worse accommodation my partner and I have ever experienced.

The customer service (sic) was terrible, the room was dirty, the furniture and fittings were stained, fabric torn, one door damaged and the overall cleanliness not consistent with the advertised 4.5 star rating . We felt obliged to find alternative accommodation immediately and were informed on leaving that our $900 (AUD) would not be refunded (and has not been!),

Try ARTIQUE (Cnr Surfers Paradise Bvd & Enderley Ave Surfers Paradise). Beautifully clean, amazingly helpful staff and a snip at a third of the price of Q1!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
9 Thank Morse057
MantraQ1, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 30 June 2011
Mantra Resorts are the onsite letting agents and resident Resort managers at Q Resort controlling approximately 40% of the apartments at Q1. By your feedback we have determined that you actually booked and stayed with an off-site letting agent, not with Mantra Resorts as the resident Resort managers. Unfortunately I have absolutely no control in the standards within apartments at Q1 that are not under Mantra Resorts management. However on behalf of all owners at Q1 Resort, I do apologise that you stay was not to your expectations. Further I recommend that next time you stay at Q1 Resort & Spa, you consider booking direct with our onsite reservations department. This then allows my own resident Resort management team to ensure your stay meets, and actually exceeds your expectations, as we do with our Mantra Resorts guests daily.

Kind regards