“Extremely disappointed!!”
Review of Q1 Resort and Spa

Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Where do I start! I recently stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment ( 2 of them were booked) with a group of friends for a weekend... We thought we were all very lucky to be checking into one of the gold coasts most talked about and favourite resorts...we were sadly mistaken! From the moment I walked in to check into both rooms we were treated poorly and the mistakes were endless.. The receptionist that dealt with us treated us like we should be staying at the budget motel down the road and checked me into one room under someone else's name with my credit card attached, it was only because I asked her why our rooms were 10 levels apart and not side by side as requested that I found out her mistake. Check in is supposedly at 2pm our rooms weren't ready until almost 4pm, if we didnt check out until 2 hours after their 10am requirement we would of been charged late check out, hardly seems fair and lets not forget no apologies were made. When we checked in the second room when our other friends arrived they were checked in under my room and not theirs which meant we then had to go back and fix that up. The views from our rooms were awesome however one of our rooms was not and was still dirty and we still didnt get sde by side rooms. All weekend we were treated like crap and not one person was helpful except for the young girl who had to fix our check in debacle. I had made a reservation to the sky point tower the day before and was told by staff at the q1 and the skypoint that the entry would be a certain price and that could then be used towards meals and beverages, upon our arrival at the skypoint our reservation didn't exist and there for we were left waiting around for 15minutes while they cleared tables for us all. The staff did not apologise nor were they helpful or polite. Meals were of an average standard but not worth the price tag attached, the drinks were also ridiculously priced. I doubt that these issues are a once off as my friend had stayed her only 2 weeks before and she had the same problems as well as other guests we had spoke with. I am a travel agent and am appalled at the service and quality of the Q1, out of our whole experience over the 3 days there is nothing that I would recommend to clients or family and friends in the future. I hope from our bad experience the Q1 management will listen instead of hearing our complaints and fix these issues, I expressedmy concerns while we were there and was not at all satisfied with the "managers" response. Thankfully we had a cruise booked on the Saturday which made a bad situation turn into a weekend to remember.

Room Tip: Wouldn't recommend staying there.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stacey C
Nippers101, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Dear Stacey C,

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. We genuinely appreciate all feedback as it assists us in improving the quality of the Resort as well as identifying any areas that may need improvement. I understand that your stay did not live up to your expectations, I am pleased however that you enjoyed the views from the apartments and that you still had a great time on your cruise.

I am sorry that your experience on check-in was not a positive one. I acknowledge the error made on reception regarding your booking and that your apartments were not ready at 2pm. This staff member has been advised about proper check in procedure. I regret that from the start your impression was not a good one and it did not appear to get any better throughout your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for this and be assured that senior management is aware of this review. Skypoint is a seperately Managed business to Q1 Resort and we will forward your feedback to them.

I can assure you that these matters have been thoroughly investigated and addressed with the relevant department and their team. As a result we have adopted a more strict and thorough procedure to ensure we meet and exceed the expectations of our valued guests and clients.

Q1 Resort and Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (2,716)

Reviewed 1 October 2012

Booked a 3 bedroom apartment- first impressions of hotel are quality, modern, fresh- this only lasts till u walk through the door. Staff lack enthusiasm n can be quite abrupt n short off n didn't seem concearned with enquirys- called reception to book sky point three time to confirm if sky point was open for dinner only to organise a group op 10 to attend dinner. When we got there we had been advised it was closed to a private function could of perhaps been briefed with staff as it is a major dissapointment for all - Balcony enclosed. Facilities quite average - "heated pool "- cold.! The room size, location and view are great but Considering we paid $600 a night we expected better. Would not recommend

• Stayed: September 2012
Nippers101, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Dear Meakz,

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. We genuinely appreciate all feed back and use it to manage the quality of the Resort as well as identifying any areas that may need improvement. I understand that your stay did not live up to your expectations, however, I trust that you had a great time on the fabulous Gold Coast.

I am sorry that you found the staff to not be as friendly and as helpful as you expected. We know that you have a range of choices for accommodation in Surfers Paradise and that often it is the service factor that gives a property the competitive edge. I regret that this was not the case for you and that you were not informed about the scheduled Skypoint closure. Our indoor pool is heated to a surface temperature of 28 degrees celsius. This is measured daily.

Thankyou again for your valuable comments.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

We stayed for 8 nights at the tallest building along the goldcoast beach. Convenient to everything: shops, food, beach, toursit attractions, public transport. It has magnificient beach and hinterland view. Two large outdoor pools and 1 indoor lap pool. No restaurant or dining room but has a cafe for breakfast & lunch along side the pools. Restaurants/cafes take aways are short walking distant. The room has all the mod cons and spa. Room was cleaned daily after midday allowing quests to sleep in without being disturbed. Reception staff are very friendly and helpful. Car parking is complimentary (so they should).Felt reinvigorated and had a restful and enjoyable holidays. Internet is extra. Would recommend to friends

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I have only been here for a day and unfortunately I have to stay here for another 2 nights.

The room is ok apart from the dirty windows, missing blind in second bedroom & strange noise coming from the kitchen.

Firstly our room was booked for 4 people who plan on doing activities together & seperately and I was very upset to discover that we were only getting 2 sets of keys to access the apartment we have paid for. I was told that they were a "full house" & didn't have enough keys. Quite frankly I thought this was a joke & can't really believe that the Q1 does not have enough keys for all of their paying customers to access their room.

I was also told that someone could leave a key at the front desk for one of my fellow holiday mates to get upon their return to the hotel so that I wouldn't have to co-ordinate who had to have the keys when (after all, being on a holiday involves spontaneous activities).

Well the above didnt work this morning because I was unable to get into my room if I had left the keys at reception for my friend to utelise when he returned home at 5am. I had to get up & walk down stairs to let him in. Why can't this hotel step into 2012 & have plastic card entry that can be disposed of once that particular guest has finished their stay? Every hotel in America appears to have that & it's practically a flawless system. The Q1's key procedure has & will continue to be a hassle during my stay.

Secondly, I contacted reception at 6:10am to have some more towels sent up as each bathroom only came with 2 towels each. I was put through to an answering machine & then 20 minutes later had to contact reception to say that i still had not received my towels & I thought that their answering machine service for housekeeping was just not good enough. I was told "that's right, housekeeping does not start until 7am"
To which I replied that I would have appreciated him telling me that in the first place instead of leaving a message, waiting, then having to call back only to be rudely spoken to on the phone.
I was then told I could come downstairs & speak to the manager if I have an issue.
I would, however I need to have a shower first but I do not have towels to dry myself.

What 4 star hotel that has a lot of rooms & guests does not have a 24 hr housekeeping service?

My towels have just arrived now at 7:15am, 1 hour & 5 minutes after I requested it.

-Alana

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Alana888
Nippers101, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Dear Alana888,

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor during your stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. We certainly appreciate all feedback as it assists us in managing quality so that the guests stay is the best one possible.

I am sorry that you found two sets of keys for your apartment to be inconvenient. I acknowledge that this has adversely affected your impression of our service levels and I apologise for this. Q1 Resort and Spa will certainly order more keys and have extra keys available upon request for our valued guests so that this does not happen in the future. I apologise that it took so long for your requested towels to arrive. This is not the usual standard of service that we are so well renowned for. I trust that the rest of your stay did improve and that you enjoyed your time in Surfers Paradise.

Reviewed 27 September 2012

Where do I begin! Firstly, once we arrived at q1 we were greeted by the reception staff (who were very unhelpful and one woman in particular, quite rude!) We had paid the extra $30 for a higher floor apartment with views, and were given a key to floor 23, with "views" into other peoples apartments! My husband phoned reception to let them know, and the woman grunted at him and told him she would see what she could do . An HOUR later we had still heard nothing, and decided to go down to reception ourselves to ask again. Noone on reception had received a complaint from us, and told us there was nothing they could do. We were offered the $30 refund though, however the reception staff were very rude about it!
Once we got up to our room, the hot water didnt work in our shower. Furniture was ripped, walls dirty, kitchen utensils filthy!! 4.5 stars ?? pffttt....
Sleeping on the bed was like sleeping on a piece of wood, my back was still killing me weeks later!

Overall, crappy service, crappy hotel. I wish we hadnt of wasted our money. We had such a wonderful time when we werent in this dump of a hotel. Unfortunately staying here was pure [--]!. Stay somewhere else!! Circle on Cav is beautiful! would definitely recommend there

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Nippers101, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2012

Dear Indy1184,

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Q1 in November 2011. We appreciate all feedback as it assists us in managing the quality of the Resort as well as identifying any areas that may require improvement.

I am sorry that the experience you had did not live up to your expectations. Since the time that you stayed with us, Q1 Resort and Spa has undergone some significant changes. The Resort is now under new Management which is comitted to completing a refurbishment of all Managed apartments as well as improving the quality of the product and services provided with the overall goal of ensuring the guest experience is the best one possible.

I would urge you to consider staying with us again and perhaps giving us some feedback. I request however that you do refrain from using offensive language next time.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

Stayed in a 1 bed appt. as a treat for 25th wedding anniversary, expecting something special by the price we paid, even at 50% discount. would never stay here again. Dishwasher didn't work, furniture uncomfortable, no power point in bathroom for hairdryer, TV only got analogue stations, no Digital and no pay TV. Location is not great imo. Parking is not included in price. Staff were friendly and accommodating, but that is about the nicest thing I can say. Sorry but would not stay here ever again. This may have been a privately owned room, not sure, as we were not checked in by the normal staff at reception.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Nippers101, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2012

Dear Derek A,

Thankyou for your review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Q1 building. Q1 Resort and Spa genuinely appreciates all feedback as it is used as a tool for quality Management.

You did not stay in an apartment Managed by Q1 Resort and Spa. I regret that you did not have the true Resort guest experience of checking in at our 24 hour Reception, free parking and enjoyment of well appointed apartments. I urge you to book direct with the Resort next time you travel to Surfers Paradise and I assure you that your next experience, should you choose to stay direct with the Resort, will be better than the one you had.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

My partner surprised me on my birthday with a weekend away. On pulling up to the front foyer I was very excited to be staying at the Q1 because we have seen it on other visits to the Gold Coast many times. We were told we could check in from 1-1.30pm and someone would ring us when our room was ready so we sat by the pool (which is a lovely area) and waited and waited and waited....Finally at 2.30pm we got the phone call so off we went to check-in. My partner had previously spoken to someone who told us we would be on the 23rd floor however we were handed a key for the fifth floor, we complained and after being rudely told to wait for the Manager we were given a room on the 37th floor.

GREAT we were thinking this will be fantastic, off we went to park the car (no directions were given except park where there is an orange spot) around and around we drove NO orange spots anywhere so back to the reception we go only to be told we were in the wrong carpark.

So, car parked in right location, room key in hand we FINALLY could relax in our room, open up the door and first impression was it was furnished with minimal low quality furniture, I sat on the couch-hard as a rock. I laid on the bed-lumpy, two singles pushed together. I went out to see the view-felt like I was encaged in a cement prison (enclose balcony).
We talked about this and thought let's just make the most of it. So hot shower before watching the sunset with a few drinks-NO HOT WATER. We rang downstairs, we were told someone will look at it straight away, 40min later I rang back and complained to the Manager still NO HOT WATER by this time we had missed sunset up on the Skypoint, the Manager gave us two free continental breakfasts for our stay.

The next day after being out and about decided to come back and watch a movie-DVD player not working so again phone calls were made and we had to wait for workmen (2 of them) to arrive to fix it.

Terrible experience, would not recommend to anyone and would try to discourage anyone who was entertaining the idea of staying here!! Holidays are meant to be relaxing and easy not stressful and full of hassle!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Nippers101, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

Dear Wynita B,

Thankyou for taking the time to review Q1 Resort and Spa on Trip Advisor. We genuinely appreciate all feedback as it assits us with Managing the quality of the Resort and helps to identify any areas that may require improvement. Whilst I understand that your stay did not live up to your expectations, I trust that you had a great time in fantastic Surfers Paradise.

I am sorry that your stay did not live up to your expectations and that your experience was not a positive one overall. I apologise that you were not allocated a higher room as you requested and that you experienced some problems with the hot water and the DVD player. I am pleased that we were able to resolve these matters for you and were able to offer some recompense. The perception that you had of the sofa and bedding has been reported to our Owner services Manager so that we may take appropriate action.