We stayed the weekend at Q1, and we were very, very unhappy, so much so that at one point I wanted to just go home and forfeit a night at the resort.
Firstly the reception is badly understaffed; huge queues mean that checking in and out (and asking questions) is a nightmare.
We came to the Q1 specifically because it had a spa and we wanted to use that for a number of treatments. I asked a week before we arrived if we should book the spa, then on arrival, both times reception said no, we could just walk in and no appointment needed. WELL we walked in and they were fully booked for 2 days!!!! I was LIVID and should have listened to my instinct rather than the mis-information of the reception staff. OUR spa get away was completely ruined.
We are a family of 2 adults and 1 teenager and we were given 1 KEY!!! This is absolutely ridiculous. Apparently this is for security?? But then if you have 2 bedrooms in your apt they will give you 2 keys?!! After having just recovered from major surgery this break away was supposed to be relaxing, and stress free, it was far from that when I had to go downstairs to meet my family every time they wanted to come up to the room!! (The elevators don’t work without the ONE key!!....RIDICULOUS) so if one person goes out it means that the person left in the room is stuck upstairs until other members of your party can come and give you the key to use the elevator.
The breakfast in the sky deck was disgusting, we arrived with only 15 minutes before 10 am but if breakfast is served from 7am until 10am then it should not be EMPTY of food at 9.45am Coffee was advertised as filter coffee, but it was horrible instant. Even if we had got there early the selection was the worst I have ever seen in a hotel of this supposed caliber.
I found it absolutely appalling that guests of the Q1 were asked to pay $29 each to actually eat in the Q1 sky deck!!!!! Are you kidding?????? I have never been asked to pay extra to be able to actually eat in the hotels own restaurant!!!
The sky deck did have amazing views, but the seating available was very sparse and it certainly was not cosy OR WORTH $29 EACH!!!
The Sky deck lift was very good as you could see the lift rising up the floors on the screen above you.
The fact that you have to go out of the hotel to get to the queue (with NON Residents of Q1) to the Sky deck is pure madness!
The staff on reception were not particularly friendly, a blonde girl (worked Sunday 7th and was there at 10am) was VERY rude, NO people skills at all. Upon checkout she wanted to charge us a further $70 for breakfast, which was already paid in our booking, we explained this to her, but she wouldn’t listen. She had to call over another member of staff who confirmed we had already paid and there was NO further charge. Blondie with attitude didn’t say sorry.
The swimming pool was sooo cold that it was very uncomfortable, there weren’t enough deck chairs. It’s a 77 floor hotel and on one part of the pool there are about 20 deck chairs!!! Again RIDICULOUS.
There is no bar by the pool so we had to go and buy our own drinks and plastic cups which was something you don’t expect to have to do in such a supposedly high class resort.
The room, to be fair was lovely, and ours was very clean...HOWEVER we booked the room for THREE people and there was bedding only for 2, towels/soap/shampoo for 2, Pillows for 2. We had to struggle with the bed settee using bedding from the main bed and using towels as pillows. I pointed this out to the reception and "Blondie with attitude" just said "Why didn’t you ring 9 and ask for us to send some up.....NOT I’m so sorry etc etc. Normally there is hotel directory giving information about the hotel and its services, however at Q1 there was a shabby A4 piece of paper and there it did say you could ring 9 for help, however in normal hotels I have stayed in the reception/housekeeping numbers etc are all on stickers on the phone too for quick access.
I asked for more pillows 3 times....they never came.
The corridors are dirty, smelly. Dark grey walls, no pictures, very dark and depressing! Worn out cheap carpet. The corridors would give the impression that the hotel is a 3 star resort. I know you don’t stay in the corridor, but you have to look at them!!
The kitchen in the room is well equipped; however the dishwasher didn’t work or come with instructions of where to put powder. The dishes didn’t wash at all, and couldn’t wash by hand as there was no washing up liquid!!
The waste disposal didn’t work. The television in the main bedroom didn’t work. The air conditioning was very, very noisy, but efficient.
What is the point of having 2 dining rooms in a 1 bedroom apartment??? They advertise as a balcony but there is no balcony as such, it’s an indoor room with big windows!!! The windows of which I am surprised are allowed by law because they open fully! How dangerous is it that a full wall of windows open completely on a hotel that reaches 77 floors? I shudder to think of a child getting on a dining room chair and opening up the windows. It is an appalling accident waiting to happen.
The hotel does seem a haven to louts and large numbers of male groups/bucks party etc, so don't use this hotel if you want a quiet family getaway
I unfortunately left something in my room upon leaving the Q1 I have now rang and left messages and emails 5 times, and NO ONE has got back to me.
I only wish we had gone somewhere other than the Q1, like I mentioned before, HOME seemed a better option than staying another night at this place!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ‘Australia’s Tallest Residential Tower’ ... Q1 Resort & Spa Surfers Paradise offers 1,2,3Bed & Sub Penthouse Luxury Apartments with unique glass enclosed Balconies & Spa Baths, 24 hour reception & security, unparalleled resort facilities on a beach front location & set amid one hectare of landscaped grounds. Q1 Resort & Spa features two lagoon swimming pools, heated indoor lap pool & spa, alfresco poolside Cafe & Bar & our famous "Seventy 7 Buffet Breakfast" located level 77 floor above ground with viewing platform. A world class gymnasium, saunas & steam rooms, private theatrette, conferencing & wedding facilities, children’s games room & our award winning Q1 Day Spa await you. The Q1 tower also hosts Australia’s only beach side External Tower Adventure Climb from level 77 to 80 ... Q1 Resort & Spa towers over the Gold Coast with views to match. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, TravelUp, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Q1 Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- q1 Hotel Surfers Paradise
- q1 Resort Surfers Paradise
- Q1 Resort And Spa Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast, Australia