“I paid for an Ocean view apartment and instead had a view of buildings.”
Review of Q1 Resort and Spa

Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I paid for an Ocean View One bedroom spa apartment. Only problem there was no Ocean view, i could see parts of the sand but the buildings were in the way and the room they gave me was not facing the ocean! When i bought this up to the lady at reception she said sorry we are fully booked and then walked away. Not happy.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
1  Thank AceSydney12
Nippers101, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Dear AceSydney12,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on line about your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. We certainly do appreciate all feedback as it assits us in proactively improving upon the Resort with the goal of ensuring the guests stay is the best one possible.

I am sorry that you did not get the view from your apartment that you expected. Guests who pay for an ocean view apartment are allocated apartments that do have views of the ocean. As we are not directly on the ocean, the ocean views may also incorporate views of the Gold Coast City. I regret that reception were not able to provide you with a satisfactory outcome when you brought your concerns to thier attention. This information has been relayed to the Management team and please be asurred that steps have been taken to ensure guest requests are resolved as timely and effectively as possible.

Thank you again for your valuable comments.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 15 October 2012

this hotel offers apartments which is such a help when traveling with kids. We stayed for a week in a two-bedroom apartment. Fully equipped kitchen and bathrooms, TV's and DVD players, washing machine and dryer. I have to say i enjoyed it immensely and thought it was a great stay. My only problem was the frying pan to be honest. Its almost impossible to use!! Oh, and the beds were a bit firm, but otherwise and very comfy stay indeed.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Nippers101, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2012

Dear eman_fady,

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. We genuinely appreciate all feedback as it greatly assists us in proactively managing the product and services that we provide.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Q1 Resort and had a great time. Our fully self contained apartments are spacious and indeed very popular with families and groups. I am sorry that you had trouble with the frypan and that the beds were not as comfortable as you expected.

Thankyou again for your valuable comments. I look forward to welcoming you back to Q1 in the future and trust that your next stay will be even better.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Service at the reception area was slow and staff were not helpful, friendly or efficient.  Checkout on Sunday was extremely slow due to a large number of checkouts.  We waited for 8 lifts before we could leave the 42nd floor.  On request of a concierge trolley we were advise that they were not available with no alternatives provided to my pregnant guest.
In one of the 2 bedroom apartments I booked the phone was not working and I could not ring through the following items which in the end where provided to reception staff.  There were no glasses, cooking pans in the room, one of the dishwashers did not work,  we were provided with only 2 towels for 4 guests, and no face washers or dish washing detergent were provided.
I paid a total of $1,400 for two nights and I certainly do not believe that the service and apartments were up to standard.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Catherine664
Nippers101, Guest Relations Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Dear Catherine664,

Thankyou very much for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor about our recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. All feedback is genuinely appreciated as it assits us in Managing the quality of the product and services that we provide.

I apologise that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations. I acknowledge that you were delayed during a period of high demand for the elevators and I apologise that you found the reception service to not be as friendly or efficient as you would expect from a property such as Q1. I apologise that our trolleys were not available for you. When our trolleys are in use, the staff will call the guest upon thier return &/or offer to assist carrying luggage. I am sorry that you were not given these as alternative options. I regret that some of the stock levels in the apartment were not adequate for your needs and I am very sorry that you felt that you did not get great value for money for your stay.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

My daughter and I went to Q1 for a few days of R&R on the school holidays and loved it! - the apartment and view was amazing, the pool and gym and spa were fantastic (but the spa was expensive).
The only fault is that check in was supposed to be 1pm and we didnt get access to our room till about 3pm, but apart from that great.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Nippers101, Guest Relations Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2012

Dear AustraliaMum,,

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. We genuinely appreciate all comments from our valued guests.

I am pleased that your daughter and yourself loved your stay with us and that you made the most of your stay by enjoying the Resorts facilities including the Spa. Our advertised check in time is from 2pm. I am sorry that you were not able to check in until after this time and I assure you that this is not common as Housekeeping do thier very best to ensure that rooms are available in a timely manner.

Thankyou again for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to Q1 Resort and Spa and trust that your next stay will be even better.

Reviewed 10 October 2012

Firstly the location is fantastic right in the heart of Surfers Paradise but away from the Night Clubs and Bars so that you can at least get a decent nights sleep and the beach is 20 metres away across the road. I must say I've stayed at this property on a couple of occasions - we had friends who owned an apartment in the complex. The key to the room (only give you one), Make sure you take the magnetic key when travelling in the lifts or to the carpark otherwise you go nowhere. The rooms have minimalistic furniture in them but are starting to look a little tired with chips in coffee tables and marks on the kitchen table. There is plenty of room for 4 people even in a one bedroom apartment. Two TV's, stereo system an DVD player to keep one busy of night time if not venturing out. I didn't use the spa area as we were only here a couple of nights.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a ocean view if you haven't already booked one.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Lissielou71,

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review online on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. We genuinely appreciate all feedback from our valued guests as it assits us in managing the quality of the Resort as well as identifying any areas that may need improvement.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location to be so ideal. Many people have commented that Q1 is in such a great spot. I am pleased that you found the fully self contained apartment to be spacious and that it had everything that you need. I am sorry that some of the furniture was not quite up to the standard that you expected.

Thankyou again for your comments. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort again soon and trust that you will use the spa next time and have an even better stay.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed for 1 week in this 3 bed apt with another family. It was modern, had all of the necessary amenities Inc xbox, an amazing view (and the balconies are like sunrooms so safe for kids), huge apartment with more than enough room for everyone. Kids loved heated indoor pool. Gym was great and not too busy. We had a great time made even better by such a lovely apt. The staff that organized the apt were helpful and friendly too. Highly recommend

Dear SonS1975,

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at the Q1 Building. Q1 Resort and Spa Management appreciates all feedback as it helps us to improve the Resort with the mission of optimising the guest experience.

You did not stay in an apartment managed by Q1 Resort and Spa, so I cannot comment upon your accommodation. However, I am pleased that you enjoyed the Resorts facilities including the three swimming pools, gymnasium, sauna, spa and games room.

Thankyou again for your valuable comments. I urge you to book direct with the Resort upon your next stay so that you may enjoy the true Resort guest experience.

Reviewed 7 October 2012

We stayed the weekend at Q1, and we were very, very unhappy, so much so that at one point I wanted to just go home and forfeit a night at the resort.
Firstly the reception is badly understaffed; huge queues mean that checking in and out (and asking questions) is a nightmare.
We came to the Q1 specifically because it had a spa and we wanted to use that for a number of treatments. I asked a week before we arrived if we should book the spa, then on arrival, both times reception said no, we could just walk in and no appointment needed. WELL we walked in and they were fully booked for 2 days!!!! I was LIVID and should have listened to my instinct rather than the mis-information of the reception staff. OUR spa get away was completely ruined.
We are a family of 2 adults and 1 teenager and we were given 1 KEY!!! This is absolutely ridiculous. Apparently this is for security?? But then if you have 2 bedrooms in your apt they will give you 2 keys?!! After having just recovered from major surgery this break away was supposed to be relaxing, and stress free, it was far from that when I had to go downstairs to meet my family every time they wanted to come up to the room!! (The elevators don’t work without the ONE key!!....RIDICULOUS) so if one person goes out it means that the person left in the room is stuck upstairs until other members of your party can come and give you the key to use the elevator.
The breakfast in the sky deck was disgusting, we arrived with only 15 minutes before 10 am but if breakfast is served from 7am until 10am then it should not be EMPTY of food at 9.45am Coffee was advertised as filter coffee, but it was horrible instant. Even if we had got there early the selection was the worst I have ever seen in a hotel of this supposed caliber.
I found it absolutely appalling that guests of the Q1 were asked to pay $29 each to actually eat in the Q1 sky deck!!!!! Are you kidding?????? I have never been asked to pay extra to be able to actually eat in the hotels own restaurant!!!
The sky deck did have amazing views, but the seating available was very sparse and it certainly was not cosy OR WORTH $29 EACH!!!
The Sky deck lift was very good as you could see the lift rising up the floors on the screen above you.
The fact that you have to go out of the hotel to get to the queue (with NON Residents of Q1) to the Sky deck is pure madness!
The staff on reception were not particularly friendly, a blonde girl (worked Sunday 7th and was there at 10am) was VERY rude, NO people skills at all. Upon checkout she wanted to charge us a further $70 for breakfast, which was already paid in our booking, we explained this to her, but she wouldn’t listen. She had to call over another member of staff who confirmed we had already paid and there was NO further charge. Blondie with attitude didn’t say sorry.
The swimming pool was sooo cold that it was very uncomfortable, there weren’t enough deck chairs. It’s a 77 floor hotel and on one part of the pool there are about 20 deck chairs!!! Again RIDICULOUS.
There is no bar by the pool so we had to go and buy our own drinks and plastic cups which was something you don’t expect to have to do in such a supposedly high class resort.
The room, to be fair was lovely, and ours was very clean...HOWEVER we booked the room for THREE people and there was bedding only for 2, towels/soap/shampoo for 2, Pillows for 2. We had to struggle with the bed settee using bedding from the main bed and using towels as pillows. I pointed this out to the reception and "Blondie with attitude" just said "Why didn’t you ring 9 and ask for us to send some up.....NOT I’m so sorry etc etc. Normally there is hotel directory giving information about the hotel and its services, however at Q1 there was a shabby A4 piece of paper and there it did say you could ring 9 for help, however in normal hotels I have stayed in the reception/housekeeping numbers etc are all on stickers on the phone too for quick access.
I asked for more pillows 3 times....they never came.
The corridors are dirty, smelly. Dark grey walls, no pictures, very dark and depressing! Worn out cheap carpet. The corridors would give the impression that the hotel is a 3 star resort. I know you don’t stay in the corridor, but you have to look at them!!
The kitchen in the room is well equipped; however the dishwasher didn’t work or come with instructions of where to put powder. The dishes didn’t wash at all, and couldn’t wash by hand as there was no washing up liquid!!
The waste disposal didn’t work. The television in the main bedroom didn’t work. The air conditioning was very, very noisy, but efficient.
What is the point of having 2 dining rooms in a 1 bedroom apartment??? They advertise as a balcony but there is no balcony as such, it’s an indoor room with big windows!!! The windows of which I am surprised are allowed by law because they open fully! How dangerous is it that a full wall of windows open completely on a hotel that reaches 77 floors? I shudder to think of a child getting on a dining room chair and opening up the windows. It is an appalling accident waiting to happen.
The hotel does seem a haven to louts and large numbers of male groups/bucks party etc, so don't use this hotel if you want a quiet family getaway
I unfortunately left something in my room upon leaving the Q1 I have now rang and left messages and emails 5 times, and NO ONE has got back to me.
I only wish we had gone somewhere other than the Q1, like I mentioned before, HOME seemed a better option than staying another night at this place!!!

Room Tip: Go and stay at the HILTON, DO NOT stay at the Q1
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Nippers101, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Dear Michelle E,

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. We certainly do appreciate all feedback as it assits us in maintaining quality as well as itentifying areas may may require improvement. Whilst I acknowledge and regret that your stay did not live up to your expectations, I trust that you still enjoyed your time in fabulous Surfers Paradise.

I am pleased that you found the room to be lovely and clean, however, I am sincerely sorry that many aspects of your stay did not live up to your expectations including some aspects of the apartment, our facilities, public areas, Skypoint and the Resort staff. I thankyou for letting us know about your experience so that we may take the steps to ensure that the Resort guest stay is the best one possible. I regret if the staff informed you that no booking was required for the Spa. As the Spa is a seperately managed business, please be assured that the staff will now be informed to encourage bookings for the Spa and facilitate this. I apologise that you were only issued one key on arrival. Extra keys are available upon request and I regret this was not given to you.
Skypoint Observation Deck is a separately managed business to the Resort. As such, we are unable to allow complimentary access to this attraction, however, we have thus far found our bed and breakfast packages to be very popular. I am sorry that this was not your experience and these comments will be forwarded to Skypoint.

I can assure you that these matters have been thoroughly investigated and addressed with the relevant department and their team. As a result we have adopted a more strict and thorough procedure to ensure we meet and exceed the expectations of our valued guests and clients. Thank you again for your valuable comments and I trust that your lost property enquiry has now been resolved.