“Sounds ideal but a major disappointment...”
Review of Q1 Resort and Spa

Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I was extremely excited to stay at Q1 after my friend had told me about her recent positive experience at the hotel and also after seeing the ravishing views published on the Q1 website. However, the few positive comments I can share are the impressive views and also spacious 2 bedroom apartment.

The 'highlight' of our stay was the customer service. For a quality hotel, the service provided by unfriendly staff was absolutely abysmal. We specifically ordered an extra bed to accommodate for 5 people and unfortunately this request was not available upon check-in. Furthermore, even the most simple service that should be offered to a guest proved to have its own hurdles. We were merely after pen and paper which was not present in the apartment. Upon calling reception, we were told to head down to the lobby to retrieve the items ourselves. The receptionist was extremely rude as she did not want to give us more than one piece of paper (really now??). The first basic principle of hospitality is smiling at your customers. Not once did this particular lady do so and in conjunction with her unflattering demeanour, contributed to our disappointing stay.

It appears as though Melissa, the Front Office Manager is leaving her apologies to many other reviewers who have experienced similar experiences as I have over the past. What I don't see is any action to rectify their services. The group of us 5 will not be returning to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lisa T
Nippers101, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

Dear Lisa T,

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. We genuinely appreciate all feedback as it is used as a quality improvement tool with the goal of ensuring the Resort guest experience is the best one possible.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the views from your spacious apartment and trust that you enjoyed your time in fabulous Surfers Paradise. I was very concerned to read that you did not have a positive encounter with one of our guest service staff. I am very sorry that this particular member of staff was not empathetic to your needs and did not provide you with friendly service.
I have ensured that my staff who have not yet completed service training will be ungergoing this training soon. Any staff that require additional attention in this area will be counselled accordingly.

Thankyou again for your valuable comments.

Q1 Resort and Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (2,685)

Reviewed 17 November 2012

The staff do not care for your wellbeing and will try to give on the spot fines for ridiculous things. We were stuck in an elevator for an hour because it malfunctioned randomly and the alarms aren't connected properly, they just go to a busy number. We couldn't even ring 000 because there was no signal in the elevator shafts. Once we were rescued by someone reseting the elevator they went off at us and said that we broke it... Not happy.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Dear brocky271,

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent experience at Q1 Resort and Spa. All feedback is welcome and used as a tool to proactively improve upon our product and services.

I am sorry that you found yourself to be delayed in one of the elevators and I regret any inconvenience that this caused you. The elevators at Q1 are serviced and maintained by Kone elevators. The technician that spoke to you is not a staff member of the Resort. The alarms in the elevators have now been tested and are operting.

Reviewed 16 November 2012

Despite the mixed reviews I had read on Trip Advisor, we stayed at Q1 for 4 nights and had booked through Q1 itself so no excuses for private bookings made outside their company. We had paid extra to get an ocean view room and were placed at the very back of the building where the view was of the city with only an ocean glimpse. If this is the ocean view then don't bother to waste your money to pay extra. The foyer and pool areas looked impressive and gave a good first impression of the place but unfortunately that's where it stopped.

The 2 bedroom apartment was spacious but poorly maintained and was very tired. The couch was filthy and the cushions were health hazards (white cushions were very brown!). The furniture was scratched and the bedroom tallboy appeared to have white paint spilled over it. The microwave was broken from its frame so every time you went to use it it pushed back and you couldn't open the door. The room was meant to have an iron but didn't have one - I waited 2 hours to get an iron delivered and after 3 phone calls and a visit asking what I wanted after that, I finally got one that didn't work so gave up! Had to go out in unironed clothes! (This is in a place with 77 floors of apartments really no spare functioning irons!? The foyer was about 40 degrees was dark and smelt so vile of rotting garbage I had to cover my nose and mouth every time we went out to stop retching.

I should have realised it was not going to be a good experience because even before we came we had had to contact the Q1 offices twice. Their booking system requires you to pay the balance of your booking before you even see the place but did not say how. We rang to check and were told that the amount would be decducted from our credit card and a confirmation email would be sent. We didn't receive the email and so rang again to check the payment had been made so our booking was okay - we were told again the payment had been deducted and an email would be sent - we are still waiting to see it!!

I was so disapppointed in this place. On the internet the pictures looked great and I wanted to stay here in the highest building on the Gold Coast with great views of the ocean in a glitzy apartment. Luckily for us we could only get 4 of the 8 nights we stayed on the Gold Cast at Q1 so we got to stay somwehere nicer that provided what we expected to get from them.

This was definitely not a 4 star experience - if you are expecting one for the money then don't stay here! From now on I will pay more attention to a place with mixed reviews on trip advisor and book elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher upto try and get away from street noise
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Nippers101, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Dear lap6,

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. We genuinely appreciate all feedback as it is used as a valuable tool for proactively improving upon the product and services that we provide.

I am sincerely sorry that your stay did not live up to your expectations and that your overall experience of Q1 was not a positive one. Many of our apartments have undergone refurbishment over the course of recent months and this included new sofas and steam cleaning of existing sofas. I am concerned that your sofa was not of a high standard. I apologise that the staff did not respond sooner with your request for an iron. Indeed, all of our Managed apartments have a working iron as standard inventory and i apologise that this was not the case for you.

I can assure you that these matters have been thoroughly investigated and addressed with the relevant department and their team. As a result we have adopted a more strict and thorough procedure to ensure we meet and exceed the expectations of our valued guests and clients.

Reviewed 16 November 2012

front office staff need to seriously consider their careers in hospitality; I've had better service at McDonalds and Hungry Jacks. Every question directed at then seemed like a big effort and I was made to feel like I was staying here free of charge. Add to this, we had to pay for pool towels and wifi, which in most resorts I have stayed at is free to "Guests". For a serviced apartment, we only received a daily bath towel change and on our last night, I had to call reception at 6:00pm to find out when our fresh towels would be delivered. Mind you, not once in our 7 night stay did we see housekeeping clean the apartment. This will be my last stay at Q1, but I will not stop telling my friends what a bad experience we had!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Nippers101, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2012

Dear Denver S,

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. We welcome all feedback as it assists us in maintaining the quality of the Resort as well as identifying any areas that may require improvement.

I am sorry that your stay at Q1 Resort did not live up to your expecatations and I sincerely apologise that reception did not make you feel welcome. I understand that the difference between an average stay and a great one is the level of service provided and I regret that we fell short on this occaision. I have relayed your comments to the General Manager about your concern regarding WI-FI and pool towels not bieng complimentary for consideration. The executive housekeeper has also been informed regarding your stay.

Reviewed 15 November 2012

The Q1 Hotel is located in the heart of Surfers Paradise. It is a couple minutes walk to the beach and is 4 streets south of Cavill Avenue (about 5 minutes walk).

When it was built (2005 I think), it was the tallest residential building in the world. I think it is the 5th tallest now.

Parking is under the building and is secure. The hotel rooms go right up to within a few floors of the observation deck. The Observation deck is on the 77th floor. The penthouse is on, I think, the 74th & 75th floors. Below that, are the sub-penthouses. 3 on each floor, levels 70 to 73, so 12 in total. Below that are 1, 2 & 3 bedroom apartments all the way down.

I see many people have said in the reviews that they stayed in sub-penthouses on lower floors. That is incorrect. While the 3 bedroom apartments below level 70 are large (200 square metres), there are no sub-penthouses below that level. The 3 bedroom apartments below level 70 are called skyrise apartments.

For such a famous building, I was surprised to see so many negative reviews. But I wanted to stay there, so I booked a sub-penthouse for a week and hoped for the best.

Our apartment was on the 73rd floor, just under the penthouse. Because there are only 3 sub-penthouses on each floor and because of the way the building is designed, we had a 270 degree view. Our apartment faced west (inland) but we could see everything north and south and quite a lot of water view (east) as well.

The sub-penthouses have 3 bedrooms, 3 and a half bathrooms, 2 large walk in wardrobes and have an enclosed balcony and an outdoor balcony. I think only the sub-penthouses have balconies. The bedrooms are of a good size but the living area is fantastic. The dining area is large, there is an area off the dining area to relax and the living area is huge.

The apartment was clean, modern and stylish. The view was fantastic. Some people might prefer the complete ocean view but I have stayed in dozens of hotels with ocean views so I was more interested in looking at the houses and waterways on the west side. Being a frequent visitor to Surfers, this was of more interest to me.

Now for the bad points. Inside the apartment was almost perfect. Only complaints were a sink tap that didn't work properly and only the minimal amount of toilet paper. Pretty cheap being stingy with the toilet paper!

Many of the apartments throughout the building (including some of the sub-penthouses) are not managed by the Q1 hotel. They are privately owned and are managed by real estate agents and various other entities. If you booked through Q1 and you have a problem, that's not so bad. But if you have a problem and you booked through someone else and it's midnight, you are not going to get the same level of service from the Q1 Reception as someone who booked at the front desk.

The level of service at the front desk wasn't very good anyway. I stayed there for a week so I must have walked past Reception at least 50 times. There were often queues and they moved pretty slowly. And when you get to the front of the queue, you would be pretty lucky to get a smile. And even luckier to find someone intelligent and efficient. I went to Reception once to enquire about a small problem my son had in the children's room. I was told that someone would get back to me the next day. Needless to say, no one ever got back to me.

Another problem relates to security in the hotel. Because there are so many tourists staying on all levels up to the 73rd floor, you would never know if someone in the lift with you is actually staying in the hotel or not. Although the hotel has many lifts, they are almost always busy and are often full. So anyone could walk into a lift, pretend that someone has already pressed their button and then get off at whichever floor they want.

I'm not sure there is anything the hotel can do about that but the reason I mention it is that it costs $21 for an adult to go to the Observation deck, $13 for a child or $55 for a family. So some people might think, I'll go round to the Hotel side, catch a ride in the lift, go to the highest floor I can and look out a window and save myself $55.

The reason I mention this is because the only people that have access to any floor, are the people staying on that floor. However, one day while I was out, my wife opened the front door to find a woman with 2 children just inches from her face. The woman was acting very suspiciously and then ran off. My wife got the fright of her life. Our apartment was at the end of the corridor so why would anyone be there? Lucky it wasn't someone with more sinister intentions. But, as I said, I don't know what the Hotel could do about it.

In summary, my experience was excellent (almost). But when you read all the other reviews, alot of people have had bad experiences. So if you do stay at Q1, hope for the best but there is a chance that you will get a dud room.

The rack rate for the sub-penthouses is $1,500 per night. Before the Global Financial Crisis, they probably would have got reasonable occupancy even close to that price but ever since the GFC, the rate would have dropped alot. At the price I paid (under $500 per night), it was excellent value. Note that I didn't book through Q1. The apartment I stayed in was privately owned.

The only question is whether you would be sure of getting a good room or a dud one. If you book through anyone other than Q1, you won't be able to change your room if you're not happy with it.

I would be very happy to stay at Q1 again but I would be nervous about what room I was going to get.

Room Tip: To make sure that you can change your room if you aren't happy with it, it may be best to book t...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Ricky_T,

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Q1 Building. We genuinely appreciate all feedback and use it to proactively improve upon our product and services to ensure the Resort guest's experience is the best on epossible.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Q1 building and that you found your location to be so convenient. As your apartment was on level 73, I must advise you that Q1 Resort does not manage any apartments on that level so as you stayed privately and not as a Resort guest, I cannot comment on your accommodation. This may explain why reception was not able to respond to your enquiry regarding your son.
Q1 Resort and Spa takes security seriously. Guest and residents electronic keys will only get them to the level they reside on. We also have an extensive CCTV network as well as a professional security team. We urge anyone who is concerned about a suspicious situation to contact Management via reception immediately.

Thank you again for your comments. I look forward to welcoming you to Q1 in the future as a Resort guest and trust that your stay will be even better.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 13 November 2012 via mobile

The accom is great no problems there, very nice heaps of space in side. But warning, watch out for security if you park your car down stairs they may vandalise it. For no reason at all except there incompetence they decide to stick this sticker on your car. If they do make the manager remove it ASAP as glue will damage your car

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear CB-BNE,

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent Stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. We genuinely appreciate all feedback as it is an important tool for maintaining the quality of the Resort.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. The building security is not managed by the Resort and I am sorry if they incorrectly put a sticker on your vehicle. Please be assurred that this has been reported. I am pleased that Management responded by removing the sticker and cleaning your window.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Q1 Resort and Spa and trust that you next stay will be even better.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 13 November 2012

i stayed there 4 days with my friend,we were given level 37th floor,it was one of the best apartments i have stayed in Australia.The service counter staff (middle aged lady) was rude and willing to help when i asked for the direction of the places i would like to visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Nippers101, Front Office Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Dear Li W,

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. All feedback is appreciated and welcome as it assists us in maintaining the quality of the Resort as well as identifying areas that may require improvement.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Q1 enough to say it is one of the best you have stayed in in Australia. An accolade that we do not take likely and know that it is hard earned. I am sorry that the receptionist that you spoke with did not represent the great service we are normally well renowned for. We are actively engaged in service training with all staff to ensure standards remain high.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Q1 Resort in the future and trust that your next stay will be even better.