“A few too many issues”

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Brisbane, Australia
“A few too many issues”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My partner and I went away for our anniversary and we were very excited to be staying at what we believed to be the well regarded Q1. However, we were very disappointed at how tired and unclean our apartment was for our stay. When we saw the frayed curtains, stained and torn couch and the Peninsula building right in the middle of our ocean view, we was disheartened. But because we were so in need of a holiday, we put this aside and were happy to be there.

Although the position of Q1 is great, we were constantly met with reminders of other people who had stayed here before us. The first reminder was when I went for a shower on the first night and turned around to find hair on the wall staring me in the face. This immediately made me wonder if the shower had been cleaned at all. The second reminder was when we woke up on the first morning and noticed that we had spent the night sleeping with someones blood on our pillow case. It was only 10 minutes later when i went to rinse my mouth out after brushing my teeth, that 5 cm's from my eyes, I saw a build up of hair shavings in the sink. This made me feel sick.

We went down to reception and told them of these issues and said they would get someone up right now to get them sorted. We went for breakfast at SkyPoint and when we returned 2 hours later, these issues had not been fixed. It wasn't until approximately 2 hours later when we were settled into a movie/ half asleep, that they came to attend to these issues. This was evidence of the level of importance this issue was for the staff.

Upon leaving, we were expecting to be asked how our stay was. This way we could provide our feedback to the receptionist. When this didn't happen, we thought it would be best to provide this feedback to Q1 and other potential guests through this avenue. Unfortunately these issues have culminated in an unsatisfactory experience for us with Q1.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Nippers101, Guest Relations Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear MnMtravellers,

Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the convenient location of Q1 but was concerned to read that you encountered housekeeping related issues that are clearly not consistent with the Resort's reputation for high cleanliness standards. I am very sorry that your experience was not a positive one and have ensured that our Executive Housekeeper is aware of your stay. Please be assurred that steps will be taken to ensure this does not happen again. Although housekeeping did attend to the report that you made at reception, I apologise for the delay in doing so and for the lack of follow up by reception upon your departure to ensure that your concerns were attended to.
As your review title suggests, I believe your stay would have been very different had you not experienced these issues and urge you to consider staying with us again in the future.

Q1 Resort and Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Poor finishes, toilet seat was loose, shower leaked, shower head wouldn't stay up, blinds were hanging on by half a screw, poorly equipped kitchen, lounges were shabby. Advised front desk and told them when we would be out but no one came to fix anything. Nice pool and gym but overall quite ordinary. Wouldn't stay there again. Stayed at Soul four weeks earlier and it was fabulous in comparison.

Room Tip: Our beach front room which cost extra had a glimpse of the beach only. Make sure your beach front re...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank travelgirl795
Dear travelgirl795,

Thank you for your review about your recent stay at Q1. All feedback is valued and read by Q1 Management.

I am sorry that Q1 did not meet your expectations on this occaision and I regret to read that you will not be back. Soul is rated and priced differently to Q1 Resort and Spa; Q1 Resort's aim is to be the preferred AAA 4.5 star apartment accommodation venue in Surfers Paradise, whilst Soul is a self rated 5 star property.

Queensland, Canada
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We have been coming to Q1 almost every year after we stayed for our honeymoon 8 years ago. The first time we stayed we were over the moon as it was very new, rooms were clean, pool was amazing, view was amazing - it was such a great hotel - they were still selling apartments back then. However, since then it has slowly gone down hill, you would expect being a return customer you would be greeted like an old friend or at the very least be welcomed in a friendly manner given our details would be on the computer but the staff seem very uninterested in customer service. The rooms seem exactly the same with no new furniture or artwork, the last room we stayed in was on a lower floor, smelly and looked very tired, it also had marks on the walls, not cleaned well at all. I had a couple of business trips last year and decided to stay at several other hotels to check out what's on offer. I feel that for the same price you can stay at a brand new hotel where they still care about their customers plus you get the latest that a new hotel has to offer. Do you research before deciding on where to stay.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HMan77
Nippers101, Guest Relations Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear HMan77,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Q1.

We greatly appreciate that you have stayed at Q1 on several occaisions in the past. I was concerned to read that your last stay was not as you expected and invite you to contact us with the room number that you stayed in so that we may ascertain if it is managed by Q1 Resort and Spa. Q1 Resort and Spa managed apartments completed a refurbishment program in late 2013 and since then we have overwhelmingly received positive feedback in regards to the apartment standards and furnishings. If you did stay with us and not in a privately managed apartment, then I apologise for the uncharacteristic shortfall and that you felt that you were not welcomed back.
Plesae consider staying with Q1 Resort again as I am confident your next stay will be a great improvement.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

The location is great. Shops are close and within walking distance. Beautiful beach just over the road. Spectacular views. Room was fully equipped with everything you need. The TV in the bedroom could be higher up as it's hard to see. Pool was lovely. Hope to get back once again soon!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Brett K
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Our apartment was lovely. There were a few things that weren't up to scratch (broken DVD player, broken curtain, part missing from vacuum cleaner) which we brought to management attention (purely so we wouldn't get the blame for it...not because it was a big deal) and they got angry at us for complaining (which we actually weren't doing!!). Our credit card was charged a few days after check out. When I queried the fee, I was eventually told it was a charge for early check-in. I never requested to pay for early check-in and we weren't given early check-in anyway (we waited for 20 minutes until the 2pm check-in time). When I forwarded the email confirming that we did not want to pay for early check-in, again, management got angry with me and was extremely rude and refused to refund the money. Extremely disappointing customer service. Had to make a complaint with the Office of Fair Trading and forward the issue to NAB dispute resolution for a bank chargeback. I've been hung up on on the phone twice by Lisa and had shocking email exchanges with Danilo. Really upset and disappointed. How hard is it to be nice to be people when it's your job? Shouldn't people in customer service be able to relate to people with respect? Is there any need to turn to nastiness and abuse? Especially when the customer is in the right and the company has done the wrong thing? Really disappointed that it had to get to this point when it all could have been sorted out immediately with a bit of kindness and understanding. Lisa and Danilo really ruined the experience with their attitude (and charging our credit card without permission!!). Unethical and irresponsible business practice.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Natasha S
Nippers101, Guest Relations Manager at Q1 Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Natasha S,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent experiences in the Q1 Building; however, you did not stay at Q1 Resort and Spa. You were the unfortunate customer of a private agent who does not represent Q1 Resort in any capacity whatsoever despite what they may claim otherwise.
It is disappointing that a minority of unethical and unscupulous agents who operate on the Gold Coast are sometimes associated through thier dealings with reputatble business such as Q1 Resort.
Had you stayed as a Resort guest, your experience would have been vastly different. Q1 Resort and Spa is the only officially appointed AAA tourism rated onsite Management group for Q1. Bieng onsite, we offer a pofessional Management team including 24 hour reception, luggage services, on site housekeeping and maintenance divisions as well as special holiday offers exclusively for Resort guests.

I urge you to stay with us on your next visit to the Gold Coast and write another review so that readers can see the difference. I trust that this review will serve as a warning to other readers to only stay with the official Q1 Resort team.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

The Q1 is what I personally refer to as a Dubai building: big and impressive on the outside, but lacking substance on the inside.

We decided to get away for a few days, and caught a good last minute deal on our room. Our check-in was smooth, and there was secure parking available. I can only speak for the one-bedroom spa with ocean view we booked, and although it was spacious, and pretty well laid out, we were not impressed by the overall room. The room had a bland feel, and lacked inspiration. For example, the cut-out fridge space was occupied by a small refrigerator that looked totally out of place. All the walls and cabinets were pure white; the artwork and furniture were a bit tacky as well.

The bathroom was quite nice, with its dual entrances, spa bath, and nice sized shower with good water pressure. We didn't find the outlets until the last day, which are located in the drawer underneath the wash basin. We were taken aback by the clumps of dust falling out of the vent, which is located at the end of the bath, above the towel rack.

The bedroom had a comfortable enough bed. The flatscreen sat in the corner, with a DVD player. We liked the big sliding opaque glass door to the lounge room/kitchen. There were nice floor to ceiling windows with a view out onto the little terrace, which was enclosed with windows which could be slid up to open up the space. We were awoken several times during the night, however, because of the fact the apartment creaks like an old ship! It was uncanny. At first we thought it was because we left the windows open, but once we closed them, the noise didn't let up. I've stayed in many tall buildings, but never have I had a noise problem like that. Honestly, it freaked me out the first two nights we were there, because it sounded like someone was in the apartment. We finally came to terms with the fact that the apartment is just noisy, and creaky.

The well designed lobby and amazing pool area are definitely worth noting, though. These were the only areas we were impressed by. The SkyPoint observation deck at the top of the building is a nice feature but is owned separately, so you have to pay an entrance fee just to get in there; unless you want to have breakfast/lunch/dinner up there, in which case the front desk will provide you with $15 "vouchers" to use towards your meal in SkyPoint. Upon checkout we were confused because we ended having to pay for the "vouchers" we used. We had a much better experience going to the Longboards cafe which is attached to the hotel.

All in all we weren't impressed with the Q1. Next time we'll go for a place that isn't also a residential building, because it all seemed a bit slapped together, and out of focus on what a real world class hotel should be (as the Q1 is a staple of the Gold Coast). We're just glad we didn't pay a cent more than what we did.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tahno D
Deat Tahno D,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Q1 Resort and Spa.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your spacious one bedroom apartment and that you were impressed with our facilities. However, I was concerned that the aesthetics of the design of the apartment was not to your taste that that some aspects of the apartment were not as you expected. I apologise that there was dust in the air vent, this has been reported to our housekeeping department. Your report of a creaking noise in your apartment is not something that has been experienced before, I inviste you to contact us directly with the apartment number that you stayed in so that we may ascertain the source of this noise.
Please consider staying with us again as I am confident your next stay will be a great improvement.

Warm regards,

Highfields, Australia
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Lovely and spacious and clean. I was pleasantly surprised by the design of the appartment and found it to be most comfortable and an enjoyable stay. The views were lovely and the location is very good. I shall be definitely staying again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business