“OK stay at Breakers North”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Breakers North

Breakers North
Melbourne, Australia
“OK stay at Breakers North”
Reviewed 21 October 2009

We booked directly with the hotel as I wanted to find out about the rooms etc. Got an extremely good rate which was much better than internet or booking sites eg Wotif/Needitnow etc.

Arrived late Saturday afternoon and reception was closed but managed to find our room ok. Upon entering found that it had not been serviced so after numerous phone calls to after hours service they finally tracked down the management who came and did a quick service on the room.

Apartment was well fitted out with a well stocked kitchen with every utensil, appliance you would need. Even right down to an umbrellas, green shopping bags etc. Nice modern two way bathroom with consistent hot water for showers. No face washers though.

Decor was comfortable and well maintained but there were these awful vases of fake flowers everywhere which looked a bit ordinary.

BBQ area was great, right on the beach adjoining the tennis court and pool. Great nightly atmosphere where families were eating dinner and the kids were playing around on the tennis court etc. Absolutely no shade around the pool or over deck chairs overlooking the beach, with the strong sun would recommend installation of shade protection.

Management were a bit indifferent, not that customer focussed and absolutely stunk of cigarette smoke which was rather off putting. I had to telephone them the day after departure as I had left a pair of earrings in the bathroom and her first reaction was to launch into my staff don't steal things, very honest etc, this is even before I could let her know exactly where I left them. It left a rather nasty feeling as overall our experience was quite pleasant but I did not expect to have this defensive tirade launched at me even before I had finished what I was trying to tell her. Since then I received a very curt message on my voice mail advising the earrings could not be found. I am afraid the jury is out on this one as I knew exactly where I had left them.

Overall good location, close by and within easy walking distance of Broadbeach and Surfers.

We hired a car for a couple of days but found the cheapest price was to go into one of the hire car offices around Surfers. We hired a 8 seater Tarago and was far cheaper this way than utilising the recommendation of the company by reception. We travelled with another family so it was very cost effective.

Would I stay there again, maybe for a family holiday , close to everything with lots of kids around where they can all safely play and the safety of a gate and fence along the back fence line.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank millsie58

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Auckland
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Went into the trip knowing each apartment was individually owned and not all would look like the pictures on the website, however was extremely disappointed with our room.
We got there on a Sunday after reception had closed and collected the key from the mailbox inside. Letter wasn't very welcoming/personalised just basic instructions. The building is a little old. (Managed to chuckle over the fact that on every side at the top of the building where the name is, none have 'Breakers North' complete. Letters missing/broken.)
On entering our room, were really disappointed at the dated furnishings/decor. Faded pictures etc. Kitchen/Bathroom quite modern, apart from the shoddy workmanship of whoever installed them. Room was extremely basic and the broken lampshades of the bedside lamps really set off the ambience, as did the couple of grubby fingerprints on the wall/ceiling.
It was a very spacious apartment (especially since we got a 2 bedroom despite booking a one bedroom.) However it was just not looked after... clock on the wall that didn't even work and had rust on it. Floor lamp that was cover in rust. Kitchen utensil drawers off their runners (they were broken.. as we tried numerous times to fix it.) Paper/cardboard above the cups fallen down and wouldn't stay stuck up.
After finding a nice little 'downthere' hair on the handbasin that we hadn't used yet, we decided to speak to management the next morning.
Was greeted with pretty much a "never had any complaints" when I told management I was unhappy with the room. Was also told they were full up so couldn't move us (despite the 'no vacancy' sign NEVER being lit the whole time we were there.)
They also embarressed me in front of someone else checking in saying to them "you're happy with your room I hope".
When they came to look at what we were unhappy with, we were told off for using the second bedroom (one of us just had a lay down) even though we had never been told we couldn't use it (write it on the 'welcome note' if its so important.)
Then had the cleaners sent in so we could show them what they hadn't cleaned properly (kind of embarressing and uncomfortable really, they tried to say the room had taken them ages the day before because a messy group had been in so they must have missed a few things.) The kitchen was also very poorly stocked with 'cooking' things despite being quite... not even a chopping board or oven tray!
I think at the end of the day management thought we were just some 'young kids' who were upset we didn't get sea views (we are in our 20s). Don't care about that at all.... just wish we had a nice apartment to relax in on our holiday.
I would probably still recommend this place for families who aren't looking for some 'couple time', but if you are a couple... just watch out you don't get one of the 'less cared about' rooms. I guess management can't soley be blamed as it is up to the owners to set up the apartments. But wasn't entirely happy with management who I felt treated me like a little kid who just had to like it or lump it. All she kept saying was that they were full up.
The room was comfy... bed was okay, shower hot etc... could be way worse places to stay.
I also feel its unfair that it can be called a 'four star' when all rooms are different and ours was definitely no more than three stars. Oh and apparently according to management, don't book using wotif.com as they get the last of the rooms which are usually the average ones.
I'm not a grumpy old man, or extremely fussy.... I am just someone who was really looking forward to my holiday and was really embarressed in front of my partner that I had chosen the place to stay and it ended up being extremely average. (He didn't care, but I had wanted to surprise him with a nice place.)
Note to whoever runs the website - change the room photos/add ones of ALL the apartments. It is pretty much false advertising.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Little_traveller25
hong kong
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Having stayed here a few years ago on a trip with friends, I was very happy to come back here with my boyfriend this year. I stressed to him that the facilities and the location of the apartments are great, but don't expect too much from the decor of the place.

We stayed in an apartment on the 8th Floor and we were not disappointed. We had a breathe taking view of the ocean, spacious kitchen and generally clean bathrooms and bedrooms. The facilities including the jacouzzi, swimming pool, tennis court and a direct walk-way to the beach are fantastic attributes to this apartment building. Since all the apartments are individually owned by separate owners, whether you get an apartment with nice decor is the luck of the draw - so be prepared.

We had two problems with the management though. Firstly, we were delighted that when we arrived at 10am and were told that our room was already ready (check in is usually at 2pm). We decided to drop our bags in the apartment first and since the room had just been cleaned, the front door was not locked. We returned to the apartment around 6pm and found that the keys given to us did NOT match the door. In fact, the tag on the keys indicated that they were keys to a different apartment. The managers leave the reception area after 5pm. We only reached an 'operator' on the number given and finally managed to get hold of the manager to give us our proper keys. Lucky we were honest ppl and did not decide to explore in the other apartment.

The second problem happened on our last night there. We were cooking in the kitchen and we suddenly heard someone attempting to open the door to our apartment. We looked out and saw this couple trying to open our door with keys. They told us that they were suppose to move in that night while we took out our papers to show them that we had the place till the next morning. We had to call the manager AGAIN and finally it was sorted (well, they each blamed each other for misunderstanding when they were arriving). What annoyed me immensely was the way the Manager dealt with the situation - there was NO apology, NO attempt to sort out the problem. He basically shooed us off back to our room and gave NO explanation whatsoever. I was thoroughly embarrassed by the situation and was really glad that we weren't doing something private when the couple walked in.

So - would I stay here again - YES, because the price and accommodation is really superb. But advice to the home owners of the building - hire ANOTHER couple to be the manager of your building. They obviously do not have your best interest at heart.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yolanderHK
Melbourne
Reviewed 25 July 2009

We have just returned from 6 wonderful nights at Breakers North. We were concerned having read other reviews but were very happy with the standard of accomadation.
We arrived around 5.45, my husband gave the after hours bell a quick press no responce and then again no responce, I then held down the button for a couple opf seconds and it then a phone rang which was answered by a very nice lady giving us instructions. It seems you need to hold down the after hours button until it starts to ring a phone, this is just how it works.
Instructions included a map of car parking - very useful. Car park sizes well we had no issue though we did see a couple of small car parks so best to check if you have a large vehicle.
Our apartment was on the top floor (floor 15) 1 bedroom. A really good size, nicely furnished with a leather lounge suit. Apartment was very clean except the fan in the bedroom which really needed a good clean. Bed was really quite hard and did have a spring starting to push its way through in the mattress but we just went to Pillow Talk and bought a foam mattress underlay fantastic thing, will use it at home that is for sure.
OK the apartment did not face the ocean but this did not bother us. From the lounge we had the most wonderful views across the Gold Coast, hinterland and even into NSW, at night the lights across the Gold Coast were just incredable. From the verandah to the right we had good views of the ocean and to the left views of the Nerang River.
Small problem in that we could not get the reverse cycle air con to work on our first night but in the morning we rang reception on our way out and the manager apolagized for us not being given the right key and by the time we got back in the evening the right key had been placed in the required slot and all was well.
All in all we were very happy and felt this was far better value for money than another resort we stayed at earlier in the year at 3 times the cost. Breakers North is right on the beach so great if you have children.
Do be aware that although wireless internet is available the cost is $50 for 10 hours and you cant buy less time, so take spare cable and use dial up if you need to use your computer.
I guess as all apartments have different owners ask a LOT of questions when booking and make it clear what you expect, and if you are not happy with the answers you get look elswhere.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank RetiredMelbourne
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 May 2009

My partner and I had to travel to the Gold Coast for a family emergency but, since we were having to go there anyway, we decided to try and enjoy the holiday and spend some quality time. We wanted to stay somewhere near Surfers Paradise so browsed accommodation options in the area. Combining our desire to get the most out of this trip with our tight budget wasn't easy but Breakers North seemed like the perfect choice for us as it was a whole apartment for not much more than what we'd pay for a hotel room.

It really didn't disappoint us. The service was great, staff was very friendly and the apartment was comfortable and clean with a stunning view of the beach from our balcony.

It really proved to be good value for money and it's definitely an option we will consider again next time we travel to the Gold Coast.

The downside? Well, we wish we could have stayed for longer than 3 nights!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chrisandvera
toowoomba
Reviewed 2 May 2009

We had the best time at Breakers North, the location is amazing, the staff were very helpful and friendly, it caters perfectly for kids. Would recommend it to any family looking for a relaxing holiday. Thank goodness for great weather as well.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank mumplus4
sydney
Reviewed 25 April 2009

After reading some of the reveiws on Breakers North i thought i should share may wonderfull experience also. I traveled the Gold Coast with my partner as we thought we should keep our spending in our own back yard (considering the hard times for OZ business in "09")!!!
We origanally booked for 5 nights @ breakers, however we ended up staying there for 10. We were given the best deal one could find for a fully self- contained apartment on the beach front with a fantastic views of the South Pacific Ocean.
We arrived during office hours so we never had the trouble of finding keys in leterboxes (as per other reviews)
Actually we arrived way befor standard check-in time and we were able to get into our room which was greatly appriciated after a long travel and not much sleep! We couldn't find anything to complain about with our room. The only thing i can complain about is parking and waiting for the lift..All else was superb..=)
With direct access to the beach very handy and a lovely BBQ area where we met some interesting travelers, the tennis court was fantastic for working off a good meals at Broadbeach. We simply adored pool and spa area.
I would also like to thank Geoff and his wife for making our stay enjoyable, they treated us like family..!! even the maintenence people we very nice!!
We will be back...=)

#59 of 122 in Surfers Paradise
Surf Parade Resort
Surf Parade Resort
#16 of 122 in Surfers Paradise

Been to Breakers North? Share your experiences!