“Terrible Customer Service”

Mantra Towers of Chevron
Melbourne, Australia
“Terrible Customer Service”
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Reasonably priced, but the rating for this property is too high for the standard of the apartment.
The pool was beautiful as was the spa. This area was very well kept and looked stunning at night.

Two issues that could have been remedied with some courteous and genuine customer service turned this stay into one of the worst.

Prior to my stay I had requested and receieved confirmation that two double beds would be available. Upon my arrival, there was one double bed and two single beds. As a travel agent, I confirmed my request with their off-location reception as they do not run a 24 hour reception. I spoke with a gentlemen who advised me that they were unable to get someone onsite to complete this therefore it would be done the next day.

After spending one whole day out the next day the beds were neither replaced with a double bed nor bound together as promised. I advised the front desk to a staff member (and I vaguely remember by the name of Jean) who advised me that this would be done in an abrupt and rude manner. As a Travel Agent, I did not appreciate his rude demeanour and expected a much high level of customer service from such a large property. After another night of two single beds not bound together, my fiance and I were displeased at not the issue with the beds but the empty promises made by the staff at the Chevron Towers of Renaissance.

I would not recommend anyone to stay at this property purely based on the service levels.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keshia1388
Dear Keshia1388,

Thank you for your post, reading through your response I am a little confused with some of the issues raised, I am not sure if a private apartment was actually booked instead of directly with the resort. Firstly we do not send out confirmations confirming bedding as standard bedding applies, we also do offer on site assistance 24hrs- and we also don’t have a staff member with the name Jean. I would appreciate if you could contact me at the resort to rectify this and if at fault would be more than happy to assist you and for you both to Experience Chevron Towers again,

Regards
Reservation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 30 July 2011

After reading some on-line reviews, I too was a little nervous before my 3 night stay as I did not realise Schoolies/Toolies used this hotel as a hub. But I stayed in Tower 3 and on Level 11 and was given a very spotless ocean facing apartment. Very impressed and was value for money.

• Stayed July 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2011

The Good: We were personally greeted in the foyer and escorted to the apartment. We asked for a higher level with sea views and this was arranged. It was a fantastic view. Coles was directly beneath us and easy to get to. A real plus! The children enjoyed the beach pool and gym. The ensuite was spacious. The second toilet had it's own hand basin. The bathrooms were clean.
The Bad: Carpet was stained and not clean especially around the edges. The main bed was hard. Some of the lounge furniture was shabby, uncomfortable and frayed which needed to be replaced. The coffee table needed to be replaced, as it was very unstable. Some of the kitchen equipment was dirty and had to be washed before use. There was only one small tv in the lounge. There should've been a larger one with another in the main bedroom. The dryer kept switching itself off every 5 mins. There should have been extra detergent for the dishwasher and kitchen and extra rolls of toilet paper. The plates were far too big to fit in the dishwasher and had to be placed across the centre. A few more pieces of cutlery and crockery would've have been beneficial.
Improvements needed: Make sure the place is clean and lounge furniture replaced. TVs to be added. Maintenance required to fix the dryer and patio lock. Make sure the dining chairs aren't too low for the dining table. When checking in, explain the rubbish removal system and access via key swabs. This place has great potential. It was a pity it was not clean and smartened up. I disagree with having a bond that had to be signed over. This has never happened to me before and I have stayed in many places. It took the shine of our stay, especially when the place wasn't up to a 4 star standard. I wouldn't stay here again. Friends of mine stayed in another building and it was cheaper and cleaner with great views. There are many mixed reviews and I think many of the apartments are handled by different companies, which means standards are extremely varied.

Room Tip: Ask for photos and what you exactly get. Higher floors with sea views are best due to noise.
4 Thank Kay5000
christchurch, new zealand
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We just had 5 nights at this amazing hotel, and I will never say anywhere else! Everything was amazing. The apartment had wonderful views. Everything was clean and worked well. Great to have washing machine and dryer in room. Kitchen well stocked with everything we needed.
The best thing was the location. Right in the heart of Surfers with heaps of wonderful resturants to choose from. Coles supermarket right at bottom of towers. Pool and gym area were fantastic. Outside pool a little cool during winter months but didn't stop our kids going for a quick swim. Kids loved the games room.
Free parking for our rental car.
Road noise could be a problem if on the lower levels, but we were quite high so not an issue.
This is a fantastic place to stay.

Room Tip: High up as possible to avoid road noise
1 Thank katie8008
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We had good communication with the establishment, although never actually met Terry! Shown in and around our apartment by another resident and had no issues working out how things worked. Our apartment was clean and well appointed; I liked DVD, CD & TV although with the great central location did not need to use.
The only down of our stay was the terrible strong cooking odors that were constantly present in the hallway outside our apartment. I also managed to loose the car in the carpark twice, not hard as others were doing the same thing!!
The public areas of pool and gym were lovely and well-maintained.

Room Tip: Ask for a north-facing apartment, high enough to miss out on city noise (ours was 16th and reasonabl...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed 28 July 2011

5 star price for 3 star accommodation: 2 bedroom apartments are tiny, 700 apartments share a lagoon pool, 3 barbeques and one indoor heated Jacuzzi- everything was full all the time, everythings broken in the games, rooms don’t get serviced, there are no towels at the pool, room service took hours. We had an issue at checking in with our reservation and reception manager was so disrespectful and inflexible- shocking! Save yourself a couple of hundred dollars, there are heaps and heaps of better, more spacious apartments on Gold Coast.

Room Tip: Rooms up high have great views but are noisy cause of freeway traffic
1 Thank cafaustralia
Dear cafaustralia,

I would like to thank you for the time taken to write your review. I am disappointed that you were unable to experience The Towers of Chevron Renaissance to its full potential. Please let me address some of your issues raised.

We are rated 4 star by AAA, our 2brm apartments are 80 - 100 Sqm (big in comparison to most apartment buildings on the GC), we do consist of 3 swimming pools (not mentioned) our door lagoon pool, full indoor swimming pool (25m) and also an outdoor lap pool. We also have both indoor and outdoor heated spa's, in regards to things broken in the games rooms we do not have staff that operate this it is a self service area, all that would have been required to fix this was to notify reception and this would have been fixed by calling the management of this facility. Furthermore, no we do not supply pool towels as clearly listed on our FAQ page found on our website- we offer apartments not hotel rooms, you don’t state what the issue was at check in but I would be more than happy to assist you with this as being the Reservations Manager of the resort I take great pride to ensure this process runs smoothly.

In addition to the noise factor Surfers Paradise is located between two Highways north & south bound, also it is the Holiday destination for Australia's playground so noise is expected.

I would like to welcome you back to Chevron Towers for your next holiday so please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards
Reservations Manager
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 July 2011

This hotel was in a great location within walking distance with a supermarket on the ground floor, Cavill Avenue and the beach only a block away and the canals across the road. On check-in our room was not ready but they stored our luggage and we went for lunch and they called us just as we had finished to say our room was now available. Our room was clean and we had magnificent views over the canals and hinterland.

Booked all our tours and transfer back in a private car back to the airport (as it was cheaper than our arrival from the airport in a taxi).

Would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Holidays4ever63
Dear Holidays4ever63,

Thank you for your response, we take great pride in knowing that out guests have enjoyed staying in Surfers Paradise and at our resort. As stated our location is second to none as we are the only resort on the Gold Coast that offer our facilities. I am also greatly pleased that the tour desk were able to assist you with all your needs.

We welcome you back for your next holiday with us
Reservations Manager