I booked 2 nights accomodation months in advance to celebrate a special occasion. The plan was to surprise my partner and spoil him for his birthday.
A couple of weeks prior to check in I emailed the reservations desk to confirm the booking, explain that it was a special occasion and request info on any special upgrades I could add to my booking. Two days later, no reply, I re-sent the email, still no reply. The next day I 'spoke' to someone via online chat who confirmed that I had the correct email address but also gave me the email address of the reservations manager - the email bounced back, no such address. I also re-sent the original email and this time I received a phone call from the reservations manager. She confirmed my booking but wasn't much help with the extras ... I wasn't allowed to pay for an upgrade prior to check in, I couldn't pre-pay for any meals and make them a part of the accommodation package and she had no suggestions for anything to make the weekend special. In the end I handed over my credit card details and filled out a pre-authorisation form to allow us to charge everything to our room.
As a hotel given a 5 star rating on Wotif I expected the service to be more personalised, I have consistently received better service from places rated 3/4 stars.
I realise now that maybe I should have asked to speak to the concierge desk instead as I noticed while we were staying that they are only too happy to make recommendations and probably could have even organised Saturday's limo hire and seaplane flight on my behalf as well.
So, on the day of arrival we checked in, though there was a scare there when our booking couldn't be found initially, another moment when the credit card authorisation couldn't be located and a bit of hesitation when I requested valet parking, and no offer of help to our room with our luggage, even though Gold Tower is quite a trek from reception. In amongst all of this I forgot to ask about an upgrade and by the time we arrived at our room I decided it wasn't worth the effort.
The room itself was adequate. Nice big king sized bed, average sized balcony with a nice view, and a luxurious bathroom with a great shower and a corner spa. I was disappointed that there was no EPG on the television, and no TV guide. There were your standard channels and a few extra but we had to scroll through channel by channel to see what was on and couldnt plan to watch anything in particular.
Dinner Friday night at Four Winds restaurant was delicious. The restaurant itself feels a little tired and dated, and I was disappointed not to have a table by the window, especially when we were told that they were booked out and several tables were available the entire time that we were there. The food however was delicious - and the desserts ... I wish I had taken a photo of the dessert bar! I did try to sample all of the desserts but didn't even come close! The waitress was attentive and our glasses were never empty, always a good thing!
Saturday we spent outside of the hotel and upon returning and asking the concierge desk we were recommended a great steak place for dinner, took the advice and glad we did. Ashmore Seafood and Steak - the meals were huge, perfectly cooked and reasonably priced.
Sunday morning we decided to try Four Winds again, this time in the daylight. The views were just as magical as they were at night and the food was plentiful and mostly delicious.
We also decided to try out the hotel spa downstairs in the pool area. Unfortunately after just a minute or so of being in the water my legs began to itch and burn, judging by the strong chlorine smell I assume the water had just been treated, so we gave that a miss. I did notice while I was there that there is an emergency stop button under a clear weather protectant cover, clearly labelled 'press to stop in an emergency' or something to that effect. It would be unfortunate if you needed to use this button in an emergency as it is secured with zip ties which don't allow you to open the cover and access the button.
We also experienced issues accessing our room. Three times during our two night stay we had to call reception and have security let us into our room as our access cards weren't working. On the third time around I was advised that it was because either my credit card or the battery on my mobile phone was affecting the card, however at least three of the cards that didn't work were nowhere near a mobile phone or credit card in the 5 minute trip from reception to our room.
Checkout was a bit drawn out ... The girl handling our checkout didn't give the right information about the room service charges so we had to go through them a couple of times to make sure they were correct, and then she wasn't sure how to how much to charge to my card. I was advised that a $50 deposit made on check in would be deducted from my bill on check out. I currently have all charges plus a $50 deposit sitting in 'pending' on my account so I hope that when the charges eventually go through the $50 deposit is refunded back into my account.
And the most minor thing ... windows. All of the glass surfaces throughout the hotel seemed grubby. It is minor, but very noticeable, especially when there are such beautiful views on the other side of the glass!
Overall we did have a fantastic weekend - we were blessed with perfect weather, delicious food, good views, a comfortable bed and a great shower.
Most of the issues that I've highlighted were minor in the grand scheme of things, but without them our stay would have been more seamless, more pleasurable and I would truly be able to say that our weekend was a 5 star experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Crowne Plaza Gold Tower is located adjacent to Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise. The Crowne Plaza Gold Tower offers premium hotel rooms and spacious self contained apartments including studio and one and two bedroom suites in a resort style setting. The majority of rooms boast Pacific Ocean views and all rooms have their own balconies. The Studio and Suites also offer kitchenettes and laundry facilities. Crowne Plaza Gold Tower is located between Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach. Major shopping centres, award winning dining, nightlife and world famous Gold Coast beaches are all within walking distance of the hotel. Crowne Plaza Gold Tower shares the extensive resort facilities with Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise including two outdoor swimming pools with heated spas and sundecks, gymnasium, full sized tennis court, games room and two restaurants and bars. The hotel features 9 flexible meeting rooms and can cater for up to 550 people. Four Winds 360 Revolving Restaurant is Queensland's only revolving restaurant. It offers panoramic views of the Gold Coast hinterland and Pacific Ocean as well as a delicious seafood and Central Mediterranean buffet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK) and Agoda so you can book your Crowne Plaza Hotel Gold Tower Surfers Paradise reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Gold Tower Surfers Paradise Gold Coast, Australia