“Great weekend, but could have been better” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Gold Tower Surfers Paradise

Crowne Plaza Hotel Gold Tower Surfers Paradise
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Brisbane, Australia
“Great weekend, but could have been better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

I booked 2 nights accomodation months in advance to celebrate a special occasion. The plan was to surprise my partner and spoil him for his birthday.

A couple of weeks prior to check in I emailed the reservations desk to confirm the booking,  explain that it was a special occasion and request info on any special upgrades I could add to my booking. Two days later,  no reply,  I re-sent the email, still no reply. The next day I 'spoke' to someone via online chat who confirmed that I had the correct email address but also gave me the email address of the reservations manager - the email bounced back,  no such address. I also re-sent the original email and this time I received a phone call from the reservations manager.  She confirmed my booking but wasn't much help with the extras ... I wasn't allowed to pay for an upgrade prior to check in,  I couldn't pre-pay for any meals and make them a part of the accommodation package and she had no suggestions for anything to make the weekend special. In the end I handed over my credit card details and filled out a pre-authorisation form to allow us to charge everything to our room.

As a hotel given a 5 star rating on Wotif I expected the service to be more personalised, I have consistently received better service from places rated 3/4 stars.

I realise now that maybe I should have asked to speak to the concierge desk instead as I noticed while we were staying that they are only too happy to make recommendations and probably could have even organised Saturday's limo hire and seaplane flight on my behalf as well.

So, on the day of arrival we checked in, though there was a scare there when our booking couldn't be found initially,  another moment when the credit card authorisation couldn't be located and a bit of hesitation when I requested valet parking, and no offer of help to our room with our luggage, even though Gold Tower is quite a trek from reception. In amongst all of this I forgot to ask about an upgrade and by the time we arrived at our room I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

The room itself was adequate. Nice big king sized bed, average sized balcony with a nice view,  and a luxurious bathroom with a great shower and a corner spa. I was disappointed that there was no EPG on the television,  and no TV guide.  There were your standard channels and a few extra but we had to scroll through channel by channel to see what was on and couldnt plan to watch anything in particular.

Dinner Friday night at Four Winds restaurant was delicious.  The restaurant itself feels a little tired and dated, and I was disappointed not to have a table by the window, especially when we were told that they were booked out and several tables were available the entire time that we were there. The food however was delicious - and the desserts ... I wish I had taken a photo of the dessert bar!  I did try to sample all of the desserts but didn't even come close!  The waitress was attentive and our glasses were never empty,  always a good thing!

Saturday we spent outside of the hotel and upon returning and asking the concierge desk we were recommended a great steak place for dinner,  took the advice and glad we did. Ashmore Seafood and Steak - the meals were huge,  perfectly cooked and reasonably priced.

Sunday morning we decided to try Four Winds again, this time in the daylight. The views were just as magical as they were at night and the food was plentiful and mostly delicious.

We also decided to try out the hotel spa downstairs in the pool area. Unfortunately after just a minute or so of being in the water my legs began to itch and burn,  judging by the strong chlorine smell I assume the water had just been treated, so we gave that a miss. I did notice while I was there that there is an emergency stop button under a clear weather protectant cover, clearly labelled 'press to stop in an emergency' or something to that effect. It would be unfortunate if you needed to use this button in an emergency as it is secured with zip ties which don't allow you to open the cover and access the button.

We also experienced issues accessing our room. Three times during our two night stay we had to call reception and have security let us into our room as our access cards weren't working.  On the third time around I was advised that it was because either my credit card or the battery on my mobile phone was affecting the card, however at least three of the cards that didn't work were nowhere near a mobile phone or credit card in the 5 minute trip from reception to our room.

Checkout was a bit drawn out ... The girl handling our checkout didn't give the right information about the room service charges so we had to go through them a couple of times to make sure they were correct, and then she wasn't sure how to how much to charge to my card. I was advised that a $50 deposit made on check in would be deducted from my bill on check out. I currently have all charges plus a $50 deposit sitting in 'pending' on my account so I hope that when the charges eventually go through the $50 deposit is refunded back into my account.

And the most minor thing ... windows.  All of the glass surfaces throughout the hotel seemed grubby.  It is minor,  but very noticeable,  especially when there are such beautiful views on the other side of the glass!

Overall we did have a fantastic weekend - we were blessed with perfect weather, delicious food,  good views,  a comfortable bed and a great shower.

Most of the issues that I've highlighted were minor in the grand scheme of things,  but without them our stay would have been more seamless, more pleasurable and I would truly be able to say that our weekend was a 5 star experience.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank holiday_vee
DavidMBrown, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Gold Tower Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Holiday_vee,
Many thanks for choosing to stay with us recently and for your most constructive feedback on your experience.
I was very disappointed to hear of the issues which you experienced with your reservation and check in and would be most grateful if you could contact me directly in order for me to follow up on your booking details. In the meantime please accept my most sincere apologies for our shortcomings on this occasion and I can assure you I will follow up accordingly when you provide me with further information.
I have shared your comments with my team to ensure future guests do not encounter similar issues which you observed throughout your stay.
Once again, many thanks for choosing to stay with us and for passing on your observations accordingly.
David Brown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

I will preface this by saying we booked this through a mystery deal on wotif. I believe that is why we were treated so badly.
We arrived and there was no sign of valet parking (such a silly thing to be upset about, but I liked the idea of having the car parked for us). We walked in and were greeted straight away by the concierge. He was polite. We walked to the reception desk and the man behind the counter could not find our booking. I showed him the confirmation email on my phone and he just walked away and took my phone with him!
We waited between 5-10 minutes for him to come back, still with no explanation about what was happening. During this time I saw three other people get checked in.
When the man finally returned he said nothing about why he had walked away. He asked for my drivers license, even though I had not seen any of the other guests have theirs photocopied. He then continued checking us in. The whole time he did not smile once.
While I had been watching others I noticed that the other man on reception mentioned a HG (I think it was called that) club and asked everyone he checked in whether they were a member. This man on reception did not ask me that. This offended me, because he clearly thought I was not good enough for his hotel.
This experience left a sour taste in my mouth, which is disappointing because the rest of the staff I experienced were lovely. The buffet breakfast was amazing.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Kate S
DavidMBrown, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Gold Tower Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear Kate S,
Many thanks for sharing your feedback with us and I am most disappointed you encountered such a poor check in experience. Please accept my most sincere apologies and rest assured I will follow up directly with the Front Office team accordingly.
It is a condition of Wotif (who you booked through) that identification is required upon check in and I can only assume the other guests who were checking in at the same time had booked through other means. I am very sorry if you felt you were treated differently to other guests at the time of check in.
I am pleased to hear you found the other staff were friendly and that you enjoyed your breakfast with us.
Once again, many thanks for sharing your feedback.
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

My husband booked the Crowne Plaza after getting a deal through Wotif. We had eaten at the Four Winds restaurant previously, so knew the area. Checking in, we were advised we were staying in the Gold Tower, I'm not sure if this was a good thing or not or if we'd just received an upgrade? Opening the door to the room, there was a definite musty smell, like the room hadn't had any air circulating for months. The size of the room was quite decent, but decor did seem slightly dated. The spa was tiny, not sure if it was meant to be a two person spa, but we didn't use it.
Breakfast at the downstairs restaurant was the saving grace of this hotel. So much to choose from, all freshly made products, and tasted delicious.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Victoria T, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Gold Tower Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Hello cutieb00tie,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback after your recent stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that your experience wasn't what it should have been. If you would like to send me the details of your stay, then I can have the room in question looked at.
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast in Relish Restaurant, we get some rave reviews on the offerings, especially the fresh fruit juicer!

Kind regards,

Victoria
Marketing Executive
victoria.thornton@ihg.com
Anaheim, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

While the room was a nice size and generally clean, the main thing that let down our stay was the availability of parking. The "gold tower parking" only has 20 odd spaces for a tower with over 100 rooms. The parking for the other tower WOULD be enough if it weren't for the overspill of the gold tower and the visitors to the four winds restaurant. There is no security for the parking lot so anyone could park there and they didn't even take our rego to keep track of vehicles. One ramp is so narrow & steep, I was nervous for my husband driving up it, and the scrapes on the wall tell me plenty of people have damaged their cars there.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DavidMBrown, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Gold Tower Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Jadelz85,
Many thanks for sharing your review and I am very sorry to hear you encountered difficulty finding a car park in the Gold Tower. We do actually have over 60 parking bays for this tower on level B1 and an additional 200 on level B2 for the Main Tower. On the rare occasions the car park is at capacity we do valet park on the hotel forecourt then relocate guests cars into the car park.
I do apologize for the inconvenience which you experienced and am pleased to see that aside from the car park you were happy with services which we provided.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us.
Moe, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Ok where do I start. i booked this hotel on a Wotif site and got a very good price for a five star hotel. On arrival the front desk where very helpful as they should be for a hotel of this status. once in my room all was good until later in the evening when i went to make a nice cup of coffee and found the milk in the fridge had been opened and was on the verge of going off, i was in room 1119 in the gold tower on Sunday night the 24th November, so this can be verified, this should never happen in a five star hotel, i called the front desk and had more milk within 30 minutes but that was after my second call to ask for some. no big deal its not a show stopper.
So good sleep was had on a very comfortable bed. however when i went to the breakfast at 06:28, yes i looked at my watch for a reason, as i will explain. i stood there very happy only to hear the lady, (she wasn't really) say load enough why do they come before 06:30 were not open, yes that's why i looked at my watch. However what came next amazed me. as i stood waiting to get a table she simply looked up and said room, i told her, she looked at her so called list and said you're not on it. I asked what this meant and she simply said your not on it?. so i asked again what this meant, and i did say does that mean im not allowed in for breakfast ?, she looked me in the eye and said are you ok you sound like you have a real problem and need help. very taken aback i asked again as im a very, very laidback person. she said well you have top pay for breakfast then. Not once did i think i was getting it for free anyway. so i signed the sheet and she then ignored me until i asked where it was ok to sit, without looking at me she simply said anywhere and walked away. Then i had to ask how the breakfast meal worked as in did i need to order individually or was it a set menu and help yourself. Then after i found a table and decided i would like some toast i found the toaster had not been turned on so i had to ask if i was allowed to do this very simple task or where staff required to do so. Again in a very, very, very rude huff she said leave it i will do it. so barging past me she did. Never, and i mean Never, in a five star hotel have i been treated in so rude a manner by someone that should understand that hotel guest are the ones that pay her salary so how she even got the position is totally beyond me. I suppose the saving grace was that the previous nights meal was ok, room service, and the breakfast was actually ok along with the very friendly chef. Sp the question is how could staff be so rude and pretentious to guest and expect to be thanked for it and expect guest not to at least complain or say something. The rest of the staff frankly where lovely and helpful but unfortunately this very rude lady needs to understand that people will treat her as she treats other. Smarten up it,s not that hard? So never again will i stay here.

Room Tip: find another place if you see a young lady at breakfast looking like she is ready to rip your head o...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank david w
DavidMBrown, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Gold Tower Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear david w,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us in the Gold Tower last weekend, however I am most disappointed to hear of the issues which you encountered during your stay - and in particular with the very poor service which you received at breakfast on Sunday morning.
Please accept my very sincere apologies and rest assured I have followed up accordingly with the restaurant team. This is most certainly not the high standard of service which we aspire to offer our guests and i do thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.
I would most certainly welcome the opportunity to redeem ourselves at some time in the future so please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can assist you personally at any time.
South east Queensland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Booked a 2 night stay on Wotif, so was a good price. Friendly staff on check-in offered me an upgrade to high floor with kitchenette, and washing machine for extra $20 per night which I accepted. However the room had not been well cleaned, many dead months on the carpet, and a blue bead in the middle of the room, also all the shelves were covered in dust. I went straight to reception. They said they would waive the upgrade fee, and get housekeeping to come clean the room which they did. Went out at 9.30am next morning and returned at 2.55pm to find the room had not been serviced. Again down to reception, they again got housekeeping to clean the room. They did give me a free drink voucher for the bar while the room was cleaned. For some strange reason the bartender advised the voucher excluded a glass of chardonnay, I did not specify any particular brand, just a glass of chardonnay. I would not stay here again, It was my third time, and with it's position a bit out of the way, I think they should really try harder to pick up their standards. Plenty of other good alternatives closer to better shopping, and eateries.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chopper0205
DavidMBrown, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Gold Tower Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear chopper0205,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently but I am most sorry you encountered so many issues with the standard of housekeeping. Please rest assured I have followed up directly with the Executive Housekeeper and her team in order to ensure future guests do not encounter similar issues. However I was pleased to hear you found the staff very friendly throughout your stay.
Once again, thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Gold Tower for your recent visit to the Gold Coast and i do hope we have the opportunity to redeem ourselves at some time in the future so please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can assist you personally at any time.
Berwick, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We stayed In the hotel for a week to celebrate my 30th birthday. The hotel was really really good, service and staff were excellent, helpful and friendly. and the room was very practical. King size bed, separate room for the toilet (which was fantastic!) and full kitchen which was a life saver.

The location was both good and bad. It was good that we were out of the craziness of surfers paradise (caville ave!) it was a quiet and peaceful location which was good. how ever being in the middle of surfers paradise and broadbeach you couldn't just walk to a supermarket to get supplies for the kitchen you had to use the local bus services.

The room was extremely clean and I was very impressed with house keeping, they went above and beyond to clean our room daily, i couldn't fault it.

The bed was also super comfy.

we purchased this hotel through a mystery hotel deal on Wotif. which was great it was worth the money we paid for it. The hotel was great value for money and at that price I would have no hesitation staying there again.

I do have a couple of negatives but they didn't bother me so much. I would still return.

decor:
It is a out dated and in some cases a little tired looking. but again for the price i paid i don't really care if it looks outdated clean and practical are way more important to me.

Food:
I wouldn't eat the breakfast again in the lower restaurant, it wasn't anything special, i was disappointed in the quality and range available.
The Four winds 360 revolving restaurant was good though and we used a shopper docket to get a discount it was well worth the money.

smoking:

smoking was not permitted in the hotel (which is a great thing!) how ever it is on the balconies.
the last few night some one close by was smoking and every time they had a smoke the smell would come into our room. and we were forced to close the doors (as non smoker the smell is extremely repulsive!)

How ever overall i would rate my experience my experience was very positive and I am happy I would return again no hesitations.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Victoria T, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Gold Tower Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Hello BBeBee,

Thank you for leaving us with a review after staying with us for your birthday celebrations. Glad to hear that you were happy with our large king beds, location and kitchen.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't find something that stood out to you in the Relish restaurant, we've recently had menu change, so hopefully you will find something more to your liking on your return.

So glad to hear that you would like to stay with us, we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Kind regards,