“Dated, over priced”

Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Melbourne, Australia
“Dated, over priced”
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel is clean and tiny, close to the beach, boasts a revolving restaurant with fantastic seafood buffet and is extremely convenient for most coast excursions, but is quite dated in furnishings and decorations and overpriced.
The room hadn't been redecorated for a long time and, while clean, felt more like a roadside motel than a luxury hotel. The cost of the room was twice what we paid the next night to stay in a five star luxury hotel in Brisbane CBD.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jay C
Victoria T, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Gold Tower Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Hello Jay C,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your review after your recent stay with us - your feedback is appreciated.

So glad to see that you enjoyed yourself at Four Winds 360 Revolving Restaurant.

Marketing Executive

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
UK
Reviewed 16 December 2013

..........Upgraded to a suite as a Platium IHG member. Great room! Views over the GC Hwy and beach which was fairly lively during the early hours! A lot of the hotels in the area are geared towards the younger generation back-packers.

Would I stay again......definitely!

Room Tip: Facing the beach and high up!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Victoria T, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Gold Tower Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Hello _forevergreen_Uk,

Thanks for taking the time to review us after your recent stay with us. So glad to see that you enjoyed your upgrade to a suite and loved the views! Great tip for the Irish bar up the road - also great in winter with a fireplace roaring!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise on your next visit.

Have a Merry Christmas and a safe New Year.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Booked one night and found the hotel to be better than anticipated. Obtained a very good room rate via the hotel website and received a large room on a mid level floor. The doors open onto a balcony which made for lovely breeze and views (I would not have opened these with kids in the room). It's not new but the facilities were pleasant with large bath and separate shower.

A good location with proximity to the beach. The parking was free and plenty of spaces available. For one night it was ideal, but I wouldn't probably choose it for a long vacation.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Victoria T, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Gold Tower Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Hello PouletFish,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with a review after your recent one night stay with us. Glad to hear that you were happy with the proximity to the beach and of the views.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed here on a business trip. I asked to be upgraded to a higher floor for an additional $20, charged separately, which was no hassle. Thankfully, I did. My business colleagues on the lower floor near the pool were woken up by screaming kids swimming at the pool early in the morning. Would probably be tolerable on most days but not when you haven't had much sleep for the past two days.

The room was clean and the bed could accommodate even accommodate two people. A jacuzzi was available (didn't use it) and you pretty much have a view wherever you look. The shower was a bit tiny though and the shower handles / knobs were dated.

Tried the Four Winds 360 degree restaurant. Staff was pleasant and allowed our group in even though we arrived towards the end of their first sitting. Eventually, we reached a compromise where we were allowed but we had to leave when the sitting finished and we were only going to be charged half the usual price of $90. Wasn't able to eat a lot but food was plentiful and tasty. I particularly enjoyed the desserts.

Breakfast at the ground level (Relish)offered buffet breakfast. While the hot option was alright, there wasn't much choice for the cold variety, not enough yoghurt flavours or fruit options.

Swimming pool was just outside the Relish restaurant. Lounges were aplenty but it could probably get crowded during peak season.

Overall, a good place to stay. Some staff members are very efficient and pleasant. Some not. Hotel is located a few minutes walk from the beach and about 3 to 5 minutes ride to the shops.

Room Tip: Floors higher than 10 and facing away the swimming pool would be much more quieter
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Hello Shemivad,

Than you for taking the time to leave us - and other travelers with your review after your recent stay with us on your business trip.

Glad to see that you were a fan of the higher floor - we are quite lucky to have some fantastic views of the beach and up and down the coast.

Glad to see that the restaurant was able to accommodate you, if only for a short while and that you didn't have to pay the maximum price of ($75 on a Saturday night or $65 Sunday - Friday) with your group.

Thank you for your feedback on the staff - I will be sure to pass this along.

Many thanks and have a wonderful holiday season.

Best wishes,

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

I booked 2 nights accomodation months in advance to celebrate a special occasion. The plan was to surprise my partner and spoil him for his birthday.

A couple of weeks prior to check in I emailed the reservations desk to confirm the booking,  explain that it was a special occasion and request info on any special upgrades I could add to my booking. Two days later,  no reply,  I re-sent the email, still no reply. The next day I 'spoke' to someone via online chat who confirmed that I had the correct email address but also gave me the email address of the reservations manager - the email bounced back,  no such address. I also re-sent the original email and this time I received a phone call from the reservations manager.  She confirmed my booking but wasn't much help with the extras ... I wasn't allowed to pay for an upgrade prior to check in,  I couldn't pre-pay for any meals and make them a part of the accommodation package and she had no suggestions for anything to make the weekend special. In the end I handed over my credit card details and filled out a pre-authorisation form to allow us to charge everything to our room.

As a hotel given a 5 star rating on Wotif I expected the service to be more personalised, I have consistently received better service from places rated 3/4 stars.

I realise now that maybe I should have asked to speak to the concierge desk instead as I noticed while we were staying that they are only too happy to make recommendations and probably could have even organised Saturday's limo hire and seaplane flight on my behalf as well.

So, on the day of arrival we checked in, though there was a scare there when our booking couldn't be found initially,  another moment when the credit card authorisation couldn't be located and a bit of hesitation when I requested valet parking, and no offer of help to our room with our luggage, even though Gold Tower is quite a trek from reception. In amongst all of this I forgot to ask about an upgrade and by the time we arrived at our room I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

The room itself was adequate. Nice big king sized bed, average sized balcony with a nice view,  and a luxurious bathroom with a great shower and a corner spa. I was disappointed that there was no EPG on the television,  and no TV guide.  There were your standard channels and a few extra but we had to scroll through channel by channel to see what was on and couldnt plan to watch anything in particular.

Dinner Friday night at Four Winds restaurant was delicious.  The restaurant itself feels a little tired and dated, and I was disappointed not to have a table by the window, especially when we were told that they were booked out and several tables were available the entire time that we were there. The food however was delicious - and the desserts ... I wish I had taken a photo of the dessert bar!  I did try to sample all of the desserts but didn't even come close!  The waitress was attentive and our glasses were never empty,  always a good thing!

Saturday we spent outside of the hotel and upon returning and asking the concierge desk we were recommended a great steak place for dinner,  took the advice and glad we did. Ashmore Seafood and Steak - the meals were huge,  perfectly cooked and reasonably priced.

Sunday morning we decided to try Four Winds again, this time in the daylight. The views were just as magical as they were at night and the food was plentiful and mostly delicious.

We also decided to try out the hotel spa downstairs in the pool area. Unfortunately after just a minute or so of being in the water my legs began to itch and burn,  judging by the strong chlorine smell I assume the water had just been treated, so we gave that a miss. I did notice while I was there that there is an emergency stop button under a clear weather protectant cover, clearly labelled 'press to stop in an emergency' or something to that effect. It would be unfortunate if you needed to use this button in an emergency as it is secured with zip ties which don't allow you to open the cover and access the button.

We also experienced issues accessing our room. Three times during our two night stay we had to call reception and have security let us into our room as our access cards weren't working.  On the third time around I was advised that it was because either my credit card or the battery on my mobile phone was affecting the card, however at least three of the cards that didn't work were nowhere near a mobile phone or credit card in the 5 minute trip from reception to our room.

Checkout was a bit drawn out ... The girl handling our checkout didn't give the right information about the room service charges so we had to go through them a couple of times to make sure they were correct, and then she wasn't sure how to how much to charge to my card. I was advised that a $50 deposit made on check in would be deducted from my bill on check out. I currently have all charges plus a $50 deposit sitting in 'pending' on my account so I hope that when the charges eventually go through the $50 deposit is refunded back into my account.

And the most minor thing ... windows.  All of the glass surfaces throughout the hotel seemed grubby.  It is minor,  but very noticeable,  especially when there are such beautiful views on the other side of the glass!

Overall we did have a fantastic weekend - we were blessed with perfect weather, delicious food,  good views,  a comfortable bed and a great shower.

Most of the issues that I've highlighted were minor in the grand scheme of things,  but without them our stay would have been more seamless, more pleasurable and I would truly be able to say that our weekend was a 5 star experience.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank holiday_vee
DavidMBrown, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Gold Tower Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Holiday_vee,
Many thanks for choosing to stay with us recently and for your most constructive feedback on your experience.
I was very disappointed to hear of the issues which you experienced with your reservation and check in and would be most grateful if you could contact me directly in order for me to follow up on your booking details. In the meantime please accept my most sincere apologies for our shortcomings on this occasion and I can assure you I will follow up accordingly when you provide me with further information.
I have shared your comments with my team to ensure future guests do not encounter similar issues which you observed throughout your stay.
Once again, many thanks for choosing to stay with us and for passing on your observations accordingly.
David Brown
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I will preface this by saying we booked this through a mystery deal on wotif. I believe that is why we were treated so badly.
We arrived and there was no sign of valet parking (such a silly thing to be upset about, but I liked the idea of having the car parked for us). We walked in and were greeted straight away by the concierge. He was polite. We walked to the reception desk and the man behind the counter could not find our booking. I showed him the confirmation email on my phone and he just walked away and took my phone with him!
We waited between 5-10 minutes for him to come back, still with no explanation about what was happening. During this time I saw three other people get checked in.
When the man finally returned he said nothing about why he had walked away. He asked for my drivers license, even though I had not seen any of the other guests have theirs photocopied. He then continued checking us in. The whole time he did not smile once.
While I had been watching others I noticed that the other man on reception mentioned a HG (I think it was called that) club and asked everyone he checked in whether they were a member. This man on reception did not ask me that. This offended me, because he clearly thought I was not good enough for his hotel.
This experience left a sour taste in my mouth, which is disappointing because the rest of the staff I experienced were lovely. The buffet breakfast was amazing.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kate S
DavidMBrown, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Gold Tower Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear Kate S,
Many thanks for sharing your feedback with us and I am most disappointed you encountered such a poor check in experience. Please accept my most sincere apologies and rest assured I will follow up directly with the Front Office team accordingly.
It is a condition of Wotif (who you booked through) that identification is required upon check in and I can only assume the other guests who were checking in at the same time had booked through other means. I am very sorry if you felt you were treated differently to other guests at the time of check in.
I am pleased to hear you found the other staff were friendly and that you enjoyed your breakfast with us.
Once again, many thanks for sharing your feedback.
David Brown
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 7 December 2013

My husband booked the Crowne Plaza after getting a deal through Wotif. We had eaten at the Four Winds restaurant previously, so knew the area. Checking in, we were advised we were staying in the Gold Tower, I'm not sure if this was a good thing or not or if we'd just received an upgrade? Opening the door to the room, there was a definite musty smell, like the room hadn't had any air circulating for months. The size of the room was quite decent, but decor did seem slightly dated. The spa was tiny, not sure if it was meant to be a two person spa, but we didn't use it.
Breakfast at the downstairs restaurant was the saving grace of this hotel. So much to choose from, all freshly made products, and tasted delicious.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Victoria T, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Gold Tower Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Hello cutieb00tie,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback after your recent stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that your experience wasn't what it should have been. If you would like to send me the details of your stay, then I can have the room in question looked at.
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast in Relish Restaurant, we get some rave reviews on the offerings, especially the fresh fruit juicer!

victoria.thornton@ihg.com
Mantra on View Hotel
Mantra on View Hotel
#12 of 32 in Surfers Paradise
Meriton Serviced Apartments - Broadbeach

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Gold Tower Surfers Paradise? Share your experiences!