“Don't stay here if you want cleanliness”
Review of Columbia Tower

Columbia Tower
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Surfers Paradise
Columbia Tower
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Brisbane, Australia
“Don't stay here if you want cleanliness”
Reviewed 20 February 2011

I have stayed in Columbia Tower 4 times now and each time it has gotten dirtier and dirtier. But this time was really bad. There was a cigarette butt behind the TV. The curtains were very dirty and worn. These was a great build up of dirt and dust behind the bedroom draws, the carpet needed cleaning. There were bugs in the bed. Our carpark was taken by another car so we had to park anywhere we could each time going out and coming back to a different spot. The only good thing was the lady behind the counter acting for the bank - she was really lovely. $140 a night was a complete rip off.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Solo
Business
Jakarta
Reviewed 10 January 2011

I stayed at Columbia Tower for 5 nights with my 5 years old son and another friend that has her mom and 5 years old son. So 3 adults and 2 young children. We stayed at the 2 bedroom apartments. The apartment was dirty and the floor was greasy. The service was bad. They say that the reception is available from Mon - Fri at 9 am - 4 pm and weekends at 9 am - 3 pm, but we don't really see the reception. We only saw the reception on the check in and when she told us to park in different parking stall and this parking stall was always occupied by other car. And when my friend called at 10 am, they did not send the message straight away even though we were in the apartment. In the last 2 days of our stay, the elevator was broken. And the apartment is noisy too because it's located in front of the roundabout. And they also don't have internet access.

I won't recommend this place to all people I know. This is the worst place I have ever stayed.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Surfers Paradise hotels

Australia
Reviewed 16 September 2010

My friend and i stayed at columbia tower in surfers paradise for two nights. When booking the accomodation, i found the customer service was quite outstanding. The manager was very polite and very helpful with everything associated with our stay. When we reached the hotel, we found it very welcoming and such good value for money!! In such a great spot too, short walk to the main attractions of surfers paradise! I would reccomend staying at columbia tower, you will not regret your stay!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank rhea_hickey
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 January 2010

Apartment was OK but fairly basic. The overall feel of the building was that it needed a makeover. Nothing looked fresh but it seemed clean enough. The owners were very friendly which made up for the average accommodation. Not my preferred choice of accommodation but does the job when on a tight budget. Good location fairly close to Cavil Ave and Broadbeach (pretty much in between both).

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lisamatu
japan
Reviewed 21 January 2009

We visited Alyson (manager) and checked the rooms before booking. Was promised a good deal because we were booking a number of rooms for guests coming to my wedding. On check in they were required to pay the remaining charges and it was later revealed to me that all the rooms were charged more than the quote I had organised (and confirmed). Ranging from $20-60 extra for 2 nights. On confrontation Alyson was extremely rude and intimidating refusing to acknowledge the quotes, and telling me that I shouldn't be complaining because it was a good deal. She even charged my 92 year grandfather for parking in the spot next to the ground floor hotel entrance! Charged my friends for a 2 bedroom when we booked a twin room for $30 less per night. Alyson's handling of the situation was very rude and disappointing and her later emails continued in this attitude. We never got the money back. DO NOT STAY THERE!

Stayed November 2008
1 Thank aprilskye
Gold Coast
Reviewed 19 January 2009

On arrival at Columbia Tower at 1.45 pm we pushed the buzzer, rang the phone number advertised on brochures and had to wait 15 minutes for the Manager, Alyson to arrive. We were informed rudely that check in time was 2.00 pm only. We asked about parking for a 2nd car, Alyson informed us that it would be $20.00 per night. As we thought this was expensive compared to other resorts we have stayed on the Gold Coast we advised Alyson that we would not be using the 2nd parking spot. She took our credit card details and literally threw the keys at us. We had to ask what floor our apartment was on. When were in the basement Alyson was showing another family the facilities we did not get this service and were treated like intruders not paying guests. The room was still being cleaned - we had to wait till 2.10 pm for the cleaner to finish. We were informed by Alyson barging past our children and nearly knocking my daughter over that the floors were still wet. Upon inspection the room was clean except for the cutlery which was covered in red stains (rust?). I took the cutlery to reception to advise that the state of the cutlery was left by the previous tenant to be greeted by a sign on reception "Reception closed till 9.00 am Monday" - buzzer removed and no contact phone number. The Management literally disappeared for 48 hours. I spent the 1st hour of our holiday soaking and scrubbing the cutlery to a hygenic state. We couldn't use the pool area as tenants were drinking alcohol and swearing around the pool for Saturday and Sunday afternoons into the evening. Management walked past the champage bottles around the pool and ignored the situation. A sign clearly states "No alcohol to be consumed around pool". The lift floor didn't meet the apartment floor. ie. 200mm step up into the lift. 2nd bedroom window was easily accessible by pulling a knob and opening the window fully with no security screens to prevent children hanging out from window. We are on the 5th floor! Tennis court flooded and in need of repair, sauna locked. Upon departure on Monday morning Alyson inspected the room and I explained that there was no broom - she argued the point and said there was. Upon return of inspection she stated that a $40.00 charge would be on the credit card for parking of the 2nd car. I explained that she was informed on check in that we would not be using the 2nd car space. She replied "I'm not going to argue with you over $40.00!". I asked for the credit card slip to be destroyed (by this stage due to her unreasonable actions I didn't trust she wouldn't charge my credit card) - Alyson ripped up the slip and threw the pieces at me !!!! I have never met such a rude intimidating person in my life. Due to Managements action and the state of the complex our relaxing holiday was ruined with undue stress!

• Liked — Walking distance to Broadbeach and Surfers Paradise
  • Disliked — Management
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
brisbane
Reviewed 13 January 2009

We stayed at the newly renovated townhouse (as claimed by the manager and I believe this was true) and we loved it! It was really comfortable for all 7 of us. It was a nice stay for me and my family (who came over from overseas).

I was apprehensive to proceed with the booking, after reading the previous reviews but I went away and book the townhouse since the manager said that they recently renovated it (plus I didn't have much choice at that time since this was the best price that we could get for a 2-night stay).

I didn't have high expectations since reading the reviews but I was pleasantly surprised with the townhouse condition upon entering. Newly painted walls, and clean linens, bathrooms and kitchen. The utensils in the kitchen were clean and new. The washing machine and dryer worked fine too. There's a private pool outside the townhouse and yes, it had some leaves in it on the first day of our stay but they were gone the next day.

The only thing that was inconvenient was that the check-in time was 2pm. We would have to pay $50 extra for early check in (even 12pm) but since we were on a tight budget we opted to wait until 2pm. So, I felt kind of bad for my family who had just arrived at the GC airport in the morning that they had to wait that long but it turned out ok since they were enjoying the tour in the city. So, if you don't mind checking in after 2pm, this will be a great place to stay.

All in all, we had a nice stay here and would return in the future and recommend it to friends.

• Liked — nice condition of townhouse
  • Disliked — check-in time
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
QT Gold Coast
QT Gold Coast
#4 of 32 in Surfers Paradise
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,607 reviews

Been to Columbia Tower? Share your experiences!